PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance Calls

sammydarlo
01-11-2003, 13:15
Lately we've been getting a few nuisance calls, they started a couple of weeks ago and originally we got them around 3.40pm for the first 2 weeks, then for the past week or so we have got them on an evening around 7.45 ish.
Its someone who is dialling up and when the phone is answered they dont say anything, and just hang up.

Dialling 1471 gives the message that the call was made from a network that doesnt transmit numbers, i tried a test call from my mobile phone, with-holding my number and the message was that the number was withheld, rather than the network doesnt transmit numbers message from the nuisance calls.
On one occasion, we did hear some background noise which sounded like an office so it seems to us that its just some bored office prat with nowt else to do, and while we're not perturbed by the calls they are becoming a pain in the neck.

A friend of ours (also on ntl) said she was given a number she could dial into her phone that prevented calls getting through where the number was with-held or not transmitted, and another number to "un-block" with-held numbers as and when she needed to.

Unfortuantely, she cant remember what number she was given, so i was wondering if any of you clever blokes might know what number i need to dial into the phone to block with-held or "un-transmittable" calls? or wether there is a way to trace the number yourself, not that i'd go round and knock anybodys teeth out who might be making such calls of course :angel: :D

PS- Thanks in anticipation :tu:

albert_the_dog
01-11-2003, 13:29
I had a similar problem, spoke to customer services and had anonymous call barring set up, can disable and enable when i like, cost £1 per month though

AtD

Paul
01-11-2003, 13:46
Could it be an autodialler somewhere with an incorrect number, when it doesn't get the response it expects it just hangs up.

paulyoung666
01-11-2003, 14:08
you can get your number barred from people cold calling you , we had a spate of these calls a while ago but they stopped as quickly as they started for some reason , btw welcome to the site :D

Undisputedtruth
01-11-2003, 15:09
I had the same problem myself. Even worse, you would answer a call only to be put on hold immediately. After a minute or two of silence, from when the call was answered, the caller would then hang up. By sheer coincidence, I would answer a call from NTL sales shortly after.

Anyway, I contacted NTL customer services and asked them to remove me from their sales database. I never had a problem since. ;)

Gogogo
01-11-2003, 15:20
I had a similar problem, spoke to customer services and had anonymous call barring set up, can disable and enable when i like, cost £1 per month though AtD

I thought ACR is free from NTL, actually very effective.

:eek:

Undisputedtruth
01-11-2003, 15:32
I thought ACR is free from NTL, actually very effective.

:eek:

The ACR is affective, so much so my employers are not able to call me.

darant
01-11-2003, 20:13
Lately we've been getting a few nuisance calls, they started a couple of weeks ago and originally we got them around 3.40pm for the first 2 weeks, then for the past week or so we have got them on an evening around 7.45 ish.
Its someone who is dialling up and when the phone is answered they dont say anything, and just hang up.

Dialling 1471 gives the message that the call was made from a network that doesnt transmit numbers, i tried a test call from my mobile phone, with-holding my number and the message was that the number was withheld, rather than the network doesnt transmit numbers message from the nuisance calls.
On one occasion, we did hear some background noise which sounded like an office so it seems to us that its just some bored office prat with nowt else to do, and while we're not perturbed by the calls they are becoming a pain in the neck.

A friend of ours (also on ntl) said she was given a number she could dial into her phone that prevented calls getting through where the number was with-held or not transmitted, and another number to "un-block" with-held numbers as and when she needed to.

Unfortuantely, she cant remember what number she was given, so i was wondering if any of you clever blokes might know what number i need to dial into the phone to block with-held or "un-transmittable" calls? or wether there is a way to trace the number yourself, not that i'd go round and knock anybodys teeth out who might be making such calls of course :angel: :D

PS- Thanks in anticipation :tu:

Try these:

Telephone Preference Service (TPS)
You can register with TPS to reduce getting unsolicited sales and marketing calls.
Address: DMA House, 70 Margaret Street
London W1W 8SS
Tel: 020 7291 3320
Email: tps@dma.org.uk
Web:www.tpsonline.org.uk

Rubber Duck
01-11-2003, 20:30
Weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve had that problem on & off for months, Sometimes it would happen 4-5 times a week, stop for a few weeks the start again. I think it these auto diallers, they ring a group of numbers at the same time. The first person to answer the phone the salesperson speaks to. The rest of numbers dial & ring but as the salesperson already has a customer no one is there when you answer the phone. I think thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s what happens

darant
01-11-2003, 20:35
Weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve had that problem on & off for months, Sometimes it would happen 4-5 times a week, stop for a few weeks the start again. I think it these auto diallers, they ring a group of numbers at the same time. The first person to answer the phone the salesperson speaks to. The rest of numbers dial & ring but as the salesperson already has a customer no one is there when you answer the phone. I think thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s what happens

Your correct......

sammydarlo
03-11-2003, 03:58
Many Thanks for your replies and the info guys (and any gals :) )
I appreciate your help :tu: :)

Colin
03-11-2003, 13:10
I'm starting to get some prank calls, where kids are calling somedays and generally trying to be annoying. I wouldn't mind but the calls are a bit naff, not even that funny or imaginative, when i were a lad i remember them being much funnier than these ejits who just ramble on, or blow rasberries down the phone. Infact, next time they call, i demand (as is my right as a paying telephone user) to have better prank calls. I might start a movement or something. ;)