PDA

View Full Version : The World

peachey
30-10-2003, 23:51
what do you reckon is the best way to get it sorted out?

Bex
30-10-2003, 23:59

wow that's a loaded question...can u be more specific??? are u talking about pollution/global warming

attitudes of people/way people interact

crime rates

?????????

peachey
31-10-2003, 00:05
wow that's a loaded question...can u be more specific??? are u talking about pollution/global warming

attitudes of people/way people interact

crime rates

?????????

anything really

was just looking for some general ideas

Alan Waddington
31-10-2003, 00:19
We could hire an image consultant and go for a brand relaunch.

Seriously though, not a clue.

Xaccers
31-10-2003, 02:17
the second coming

What is it with christians and this second coming? Why do they keep going on about multiple orgasms :D

Caspar
31-10-2003, 11:27
We could hire an image consultant and go for a brand relaunch.

Seriously though, not a clue.

:rofl: n1 Alan :D

Bex
31-10-2003, 11:49
What is it with christians and this second coming? Why do they keep going on about multiple orgasms :D

:rofl: :rofl:

very sensible response hun....NOT

the rapture/second coming is important in the christian faith

first this site goes down and i can't access it now its painfully slow :cry:

peachey
31-10-2003, 11:57

very sensible response hun....NOT

first this site goes down and i can't access it now its painfully slow :cry:

I reckon a second coming would not be a feasible option
due to media attention

Stuart
31-10-2003, 11:57
Bexy, maybe it's a sign of the second coming? First, the solar flare appears. That affected various comms systems (including NTL email apparently), and now the site goes down...

Bex
31-10-2003, 12:01
I reckon a second coming would not be a feasible option
due to media attention

and your point is?

revelations in the bible does not say that Jesus will come again and walk the earth in the same manner he did last time, he has already died to pay for sin, so has no need

gazzae
31-10-2003, 12:02
Get rid of Dubya!

aliferste
02-11-2003, 12:53

The environment stuff or the humanity stuff?

kronas
02-11-2003, 12:58

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

and now to more pressing matters of which do affect us... countries who are 'trigger happy' like to cause wars in other words there governments should be ousted a neutral regime put in place that would solve the stupidty of some of these nations who just cant get along with each other and like 'nukes' :rolleyes:

Bex
02-11-2003, 13:19

and now to more pressing matters of which do affect us... countries who are 'trigger happy' like to cause wars in other words there governments should be ousted a neutral regime put in place that would solve the stupidty of some of these nations who just cant get along with each other and like 'nukes' :rolleyes:

ok look u may not agree with what i believe but i respect your views.....i'm beginning to find you rude :ninja:

idi banashapan
02-11-2003, 13:45
As there does seem to be a few christians who post on this site, and as it is a bit related to the post (post #5 by morris) please answer me this. I have always felt that conclusive proof that aliens exist would throw a lot of chaos to the wind. A lot of it down to fear and the unknowing, but also a lot down to the fact that I don't think any religions would really see it as an aid to their cause.

Maybe I'm being very naive (apologies if this is so) but isn't a lot of religion about humans being made in the image of the one and only God???? If we found out there were aliens, would it not completely throw out that teaching???? I'm not just talking about christianity here, this is a generalisation.

And it's just out of curiosity too. I'm not trying to change this thread or anything as I feel that proof of intelligent alien existance may help to unite this planet and make people see that no matter what religion or race they are, there has come a point where we need to work together for the future. I am also of the opinion, however, that something that huge may also have worse repercussions! people wouldn't know where to turn. I suppose this sort of thing was in 'Signs', but I'd like to hear some other views for people of religious thought.

kronas
02-11-2003, 14:00
ok look u may not agree with what i believe but i respect your views.....i'm beginning to find you rude :ninja:

im not going to apologise for any comment i have made im simply tired of the constant religion debate in every thread i like a broad range of discussion

Bex
02-11-2003, 14:02
yes we beleive that we were made in God's image......

if there ever was conclusive evidence who knows...not sure where i stand ont he "alien" existence thing......

but i know that i believe in God and i believe in the bible and that my faith won't be shaken

Bex
02-11-2003, 14:03
kronas i understand that, but you also need to accept that some people have religious believes...i am not a sunday only christian........if you have a problem with my beliefs it is just that it is YOUR problem....

kronas
02-11-2003, 14:06
kronas i understand that, but you also need to accept that some people have religious believes...i am not a sunday only christian........if you have a problem with my beliefs it is just that it is YOUR problem....

no i never said i have a problem with people choosing what they want to believe i simply dont like every thread being taken over by religious discussion there is more to disscussion then just talking about the same thing religion over and over :rolleyes:

Bex
02-11-2003, 14:08
we are all entitled to our beliefs, and we are entitled to express them...if you dont like mention simply ignore the posts.....

this is the LAST time i will discuss this with you, because to be honest it is starting to get on my nerves :mad:

Stuart
02-11-2003, 14:24
Bexy, I don't think kronas was saying you shouldn't express your beliefs. I think he was saying that there does seem to be a tendancy on this forum to bring religious discussion into threads whether the original subject was religious or not.

Having said that, the original post in this thread doesn't specifically exclude or include religious discussion.

I don't know what the answer to the World's problems is (I wouldn't be here if I did). Maybe the 2nd coming will sort everything out.

On the other hand, maybe the human race will sort themselves out without any religious help. Knowing our race though, some mad person will declare war on a nuclear power and destroy us...

Chris
02-11-2003, 14:24
As there does seem to be a few christians who post on this site, and as it is a bit related to the post (post #5 by morris) please answer me this. I have always felt that conclusive proof that aliens exist would throw a lot of chaos to the wind. A lot of it down to fear and the unknowing, but also a lot down to the fact that I don't think any religions would really see it as an aid to their cause.

Maybe I'm being very naive (apologies if this is so) but isn't a lot of religion about humans being made in the image of the one and only God???? If we found out there were aliens, would it not completely throw out that teaching???? I'm not just talking about christianity here, this is a generalisation.

And it's just out of curiosity too. I'm not trying to change this thread or anything as I feel that proof of intelligent alien existance may help to unite this planet and make people see that no matter what religion or race they are, there has come a point where we need to work together for the future. I am also of the opinion, however, that something that huge may also have worse repercussions! people wouldn't know where to turn. I suppose this sort of thing was in 'Signs', but I'd like to hear some other views for people of religious thought.
Go read the Chronicles of Narnia... CS Lewis was a Christian and Aslan the Lion is an allegorical Jesus figure. The whole universe Lewis constructs for the series of books takes in the concept of God creating different worlds and being God of all of them. I'm not saying this is how it is, just that it wouldn't destroy Christianity if aliens were proven to exist. The Bible deals with the relationship between God and humans, it doesn't spend time discussing whether or not he has created intelligent life elsewhere.

kink
02-11-2003, 14:26
no i never said i have a problem with people choosing what they want to believe i simply dont like every thread being taken over by religious discussion there is more to disscussion then just talking about the same thing religion over and over :rolleyes:

Kronas.... this forum is full of people with differing attitudes to life.... with different perspectives and opinions.... you cannot dictate what people will discuss in an open debate and this is what 'peachy' asked for.... people's opinions.

Peachy mentions you, as in all of us.... the title of the thread is The World, leaving us to discuss any of the issues that we feel are important in making this world a better place. It doesn't make politics or religion the basis of the thread... and has been placed in the Lifestyle section, even more reason to open the debate to views that don't necessarily focus on politics, as it would if it was in the Current Affairs section :shrug:

While some people are more concerned with religion and spirituality than others on this forum, at least many of them are prepared to talk about their views openly.... and perhaps even leave themselves open to abuse.
I think that Bexy only took offence to your use of the snoring emoticons.... and the fact that you clearly dismissed her views as unimportant or valid simply because they involved God.
While i am not religious, i can see the point in raising religion in this thread.. since some people will and do see it as a way forward, and a way to improve the way the world is at the moment. While i don't agree, i see no problem with it being talked about. How many people in this World have faith and rely on it to make a difference? Millions.

So far politics, aliens and religion have been mentioned.... and it's up to the posters to create a thread that includes what they think is going to change the status quo.

Let's try to respect each others views..... and if it's off topic, then feel free to get antsy.... till then, try and give every one a forum that is a pleasant place to post your opinion without being snored at :D

Chris
02-11-2003, 14:29
Bexy, I don't think kronas was saying you shouldn't express your beliefs. I think he was saying that there does seem to be a tendancy on this forum to bring religious discussion into threads whether the original subject was religious or not.

Having said that, the original post in this thread doesn't specifically exclude or include religious discussion.
As I've said many times before, the Christians on this forum try not to steer discussions in a religious direction, or start religious threads, exactly because we know there is a wide range of views here and we don't want to squash everyone else's point of view just so our own can be heard. But equally, when other folks introduce a religious dimension, are we to simply pretend not to hear?

As Bex said, we're not Sunday Christians, we live a way of life that applies 24-7, so it's bound to affect our view on a whole range of issues. If the reverse were true, and there was very little religious discussion in this forum, would you hear Bexy, Russ and myself complaining that the atheists and the agnostics are getting their point of view across too often? I don't think so... :)

kronas
02-11-2003, 14:31
Kronas.... this forum is full of people with differing attitudes to life.... with different perspectives and opinions.... you cannot dictate what people will discuss in an open debate and this is what 'peachy' asked for.... people's opinions.

i dont want to dictate anything im just bored with the constant same discussion as i said before threads do turn in to religious ones even though they were something not related to that

I think that Bexy only took offence to your use of the snoring emoticons.... and the fact that you clearly dismissed her views as unimportant or valid simply because they involved God.

i did not dismiss anything i just merely expressed my opinion on something forum related scastle understands read the quote below

exactly thats what i mean im glad someone actually understands what im saying :dozey:

Paul K
02-11-2003, 14:31
Well said Kink;)
So far politics, aliens and religion have been mentioned, how about people attitudes towards one another. Surely a change in attitude is necessary.
Off to sort desert out now.

kronas
02-11-2003, 14:34
So far politics, aliens and religion have been mentioned, how about people attitudes towards one another. Surely a change in attitude is necessary.

yes racism is something that needs to be stamped out but i dont see that happening anytime soon

i mentioned the war part earlier

also being homophobic needs to be addressed as well i think people need to understand homosexuals for who they are and not base it on assumptions or false fact that they believe

Bex
02-11-2003, 14:37
As Bex said, we're not Sunday Christians, we live a way of life that applies 24-7, so it's bound to affect our view on a whole range of issues. If the reverse were true, and there was very little religious discussion in this forum, would you hear Bexy, Russ and myself complaining that the atheists and the agnostics are getting their point of view across too often? I don't think so... :)

i agree..... i don't mention the fact that religion or my views are being talked about in a thread.........

how about we just get abck to the discussion of the world?

kink
02-11-2003, 14:37
i dont want to dictate anything im just bored with the constant same discussion as i said before threads do turn in to religious ones even though they were something not related to that

i did not dismiss anything i just merely expressed my opinion on something forum related scastle understands read the quote below

exactly thats what i mean im glad someone actually understands what im saying :dozey:I think you'll find that more than one person understood exactly what you meant..... however, religion is NOT off topic in this thread.... so live with it :)

If it bores you and you want to talk specifically about politics.... then i suggest you create a thread in the current affairs section and make it less boring for you. As it stands..... religion is very valid in this thread.... and some people are not as easily dismissive of the topic as you seem to be.
As far as people bringing up topics over and over.... i think you've been guilty of that in the past.... so we're all as guilty as each other :)

Will pm you from now on :)

kronas
02-11-2003, 14:43
however, religion is NOT off topic in this thread.... so live with it :)

it was not really aimed at this thread i do understand it is valid i was stating why its everywhere

If it bores you and you want to talk specifically about politics.... then i suggest you create a thread in the current affairs section and make it less boring for you.

if you do notice i create threads almost everywhere

As it stands..... religion is very valid in this thread.... and some people are not as easily dismissive of the topic as you seem to be.

you should know me by now i have not dismissed anything im taking part arent i ?

As far as people bringing up topics over and over.... i think you've been guilty of that in the past.... so we're all as guilty as each other :)

i dont think ive done that alot i bring a new angle in some subjects if there is something to update that is related to something that is out there i post it sometimes

Maggy
02-11-2003, 15:03

dammit kronas WILL YOU PLEASE put some PUNCTUATION somewhere in what you say.I might get the gist of what you are saying more often. :Peaceman:

incog. ;)

kronas
02-11-2003, 15:16
dammit kronas WILL YOU PLEASE put some PUNCTUATION somewhere in what you say.I might get the gist of what you are saying more often. :Peaceman:

incog. ;)

i would expect that from you, ok i will only for you :Peaceman:

And now to more pressing matters of which do affect us... Countries who are 'trigger happy' like to cause wars, In other words there governments should be ousted a neutral regime put in place, That would solve the stupidty of some of these nations, who just cant get along with each other and like 'nukes'

:p

i might have missed something so excuse me miss :rofl:

Maggy
02-11-2003, 16:10

And now to more pressing matters of which do affect us... Countries who are 'trigger happy' like to cause wars, In other words there governments should be ousted a neutral regime put in place, That would solve the stupidty of some of these nations, who just cant get along with each other and like 'nukes'

much better,much better.see,it adds definition and understanding to use punctuation.room for improvement but keep it up. :tu:

incog. :Peaceman:

Atomic22
02-11-2003, 19:27
to add my two cents worth....all second and third world nations should be stripped of guns and weapons they shouldnt have aquired for many more years...this would end the gun wars between african nations and the stand off between india and pakistan ,israel and arabs etc etc...remove most of the worlds terrorism by disarming muslim fanatics.....personally i think serbia , afghanistan and iraq type invasions are the only way to remove genocidal maniacs and i am all for them.....
insert insults below.....

Chris
02-11-2003, 20:01

Hang on ... I can understand every word you say all of a sudden. Have I been drinking? ;)

aliferste
02-11-2003, 20:07
to add my two cents worth....all second and third world nations should be stripped of guns and weapons they shouldnt have aquired for many more years...this would end the gun wars between african nations and the stand off between india and pakistan ,israel and arabs etc etc...remove most of the worlds terrorism by disarming muslim fanatics....

The West sells them the guns in the first place!!

Ramrod
02-11-2003, 20:49
what do you reckon is the best way to get it sorted out?Blow it up and start again! Seriously, the planet and life on it will carry on in some form or another. What we are worried about is human life. The planet and life will survive perfectly well without us.

Ramrod
02-11-2003, 20:54
yes racism is something that needs to be stamped out but i dont see that happening anytime soon Thats a big one, or xenophobia.

also being homophobic needs to be addressed as well i think people need to understand homosexuals for who they are and not base it on assumptions or false fact that they believeah...now we could get all religious again:Peaceman:

Ramrod
02-11-2003, 20:56
much better,much better.see,it adds definition and understanding to use punctuation.room for improvement but keep it up. :tu:

incog. :Peaceman:capitals would be good as well;) :D

Ramrod
02-11-2003, 20:57
The West sells them the guns in the first place!!And we bloody well shouldn't be allowed to:afire:

Stuart
02-11-2003, 21:32
The West sells them the guns in the first place!!
Do you think they have a multiple choice exam for an incoming US president?

A dictator who has for years oppressed his own people asks you for help in defeating his enemies.

Do you:

a) Try to find a diplomatic solution to his problems.
b) Offer your own forces to defend him against possible attack.
c) Sell him weapons and hope he doesn't use them against you.

They may have a similar exam for the UK Prime Minister.

The US President asks you to help him fight a dictator.

Do you:

a) Help him.
b) Help him.
c) Help him.

I know,I know, :notopic:

Atomic22
03-11-2003, 18:31
yes we should help the yanks everytime
and no we shouldnt let france sell them guns in the first place

Theodoric
03-11-2003, 21:07
<Snip>
<Snip>

But only of overwhelming interest to some Christians, I would respectfully suggest.

I always find it interesting that although the first Christians expected Christ to reappear on earth during their lifetimes, and that there have been many specific dates given for the Second Coming since then (all of which have been wrong), Christians never seem to be particularly embarrassed by 2000 years of failure in getting the right date. How many times do you have to make a wrong prediction before you realise that you may be going wrong somewhere?

If I remember rightly, the Jehovahs Witnesses, who predicted the Second Coming for some time around 1914, got round the problem by saying something along the lines that an invisible Kingdom of God was established at that date.

peachey
03-11-2003, 21:09
But only of overwhelming interest to some Christians, I would respectfully suggest.

I always find it interesting that although the first Christians expected Christ to reappear on earth during their lifetimes, and that there have been many specific dates given for the Second Coming since then (all of which have been wrong), Christians never seem to be particularly embarrassed by 2000 years of failure in getting the right date. How many times do you have to make a wrong prediction before you realise that you may be going wrong somewhere?

If I remember rightly, the Jehovahs Witnesses, who predicted the Second Coming for some time around 1914, got round the problem by saying something along the lines that an invisible Kingdom of God was established at that date.

yeah but why would you need a second coming

I can imagine the headline

"Jesus angrily reasserts do not kill policy"

Chris
04-11-2003, 09:40

You're right I think, Theo. A very large chunk of the world's 'Christians' are Catholic or other large denominations which pay little attention to what the Bible says about the end times. Those that do pay it regard tend to belong to the 'new' denominations which have a fresher outlook and more concern for the teaching of the whole Bible.

Your point about when all this will happen is an interesting one ... in fact, the test of a Prophet, according to the Bible, is a very simple one. If what the prophet says comes to pass, he's a prophet; if it doesn't, he isn't. Therefore no-onw who ever predicted the date of Jesus return has been truly speaking for God. In fact, if they knew their Bible at all, they wouldn't have even bothered making a predition - it says 'only the Father knows the time'. During his time on Earth while he willingly set aside his divine ability to know everything, even Jesus didn't know when he would be back. The tendency to try to predict dates is a classic sign that the predictor is running a cult, not a church. The JWs, as you point out, are a classic example. It's a matter of record that they predicted Jesus' return in 1914 and the re-positioning statements they have made since simply do not match up with what they originally claimed.

The early church expected Jesus back within a generation, and every generation of true Christians since has expected him within their lifetimes. This is because we are warned to 'watch' and 'be ready' because the time is 'coming soon'. 'Soon', of course, is relative ... relative to the age of the universe, 2,000 years isn't a very long time, even if you subscribe to one of the 'young earth' theories...

Stuart
04-11-2003, 11:48
This is because we are warned to 'watch' and 'be ready' because the time is 'coming soon'. 'Soon', of course, is relative ... relative to the age of the universe
That reasoning could also apply to NTL....

Chris
04-11-2003, 11:49
:rofl:

Bex
04-11-2003, 11:55
towny you have a real way of explaining stuff to people :D

"in the twinkling of an eye"

peachey
04-11-2003, 12:18
You're right I think, Theo. A very large chunk of the world's 'Christians' are Catholic or other large denominations which pay little attention to what the Bible says about the end times. Those that do pay it regard tend to belong to the 'new' denominations which have a fresher outlook and more concern for the teaching of the whole Bible.

Your point about when all this will happen is an interesting one ... in fact, the test of a Prophet, according to the Bible, is a very simple one. If what the prophet says comes to pass, he's a prophet; if it doesn't, he isn't. Therefore no-onw who ever predicted the date of Jesus return has been truly speaking for God. In fact, if they knew their Bible at all, they wouldn't have even bothered making a predition - it says 'only the Father knows the time'. During his time on Earth while he willingly set aside his divine ability to know everything, even Jesus didn't know when he would be back. The tendency to try to predict dates is a classic sign that the predictor is running a cult, not a church. The JWs, as you point out, are a classic example. It's a matter of record that they predicted Jesus' return in 1914 and the re-positioning statements they have made since simply do not match up with what they originally claimed.

The early church expected Jesus back within a generation, and every generation of true Christians since has expected him within their lifetimes. This is because we are warned to 'watch' and 'be ready' because the time is 'coming soon'. 'Soon', of course, is relative ... relative to the age of the universe, 2,000 years isn't a very long time, even if you subscribe to one of the 'young earth' theories...

the danger with this prophet stuff tho, surely

is for people to try and create the things that are being prophesised
thus 'making' the prophesised things happen?

Bex
04-11-2003, 12:27

ummm but you can't really make Jesus return just because you prophesis it

peachey
04-11-2003, 12:42
ummm but you can't really make Jesus return just because you prophesis it

yeah - but you get mentally ill people thinking they are fullfilling it and stuff, by taking on the role and so on

MetaWraith
04-11-2003, 12:56
Hmmmmm lets see now

If mankind was no more, then nature could just continue with her grand plan, without one of her previous experiments (us) clogging up the drains, overflow pipes etc.

A bit drastic I know, but drastic solutions are sometimes called for. Goes to apply for Vulcan citizenship.

Chris
04-11-2003, 12:58

It depends on your view of what prophecy is. If you say it's just religious claptrap with no necessary inevitability about it, then it's completely irrelevant to anyone, unless as you say someone decides to try to 'make' it happen to prove a point, or because they are mentally ill (I have first hand experience of this - a friend who became mentally ill wanted me to demonstrate to him that he was not the antichrist. As you can imagine, it was a very difficult few months). This makes prophecy perhaps difficult, but I would hesitate to say 'dangerous'.

If however you believe prophecy to be not a prediction in the same way a betting tip is a prediction, but a statement of fact from someone whose vantage point is such that it has as good as happened already, then it's something we need to be careful to listen to, regardless of what perceived 'dangers' there may be.

My contention is that Biblical prophecy has all been either fulfilled, or is yet to be fulfilled. There is no prophecy in the Bible that has failed. Some of the old testament prophecies are fulfilled with such pinpoint accuracy that some 'scholars' have been forced to try to prove they were written after the fact. Such views are widely held in secular University theology departments around the world, although more recent work is becoming better at demonstrating that the prophecies are exactly what they claim to be.

When the Bible says Jesus will return, I believe it to be true. The fact that in the meantime some people may try to counterfeit the event, or due to an illness may feel they are caught up in it, does not detract from the ultimate outcome - this, IMHO, is the only solution to the problem of 'the world'.

MetaWraith
04-11-2003, 13:07
Previous post was a reply to the beginning of the thread.

Having now read the whole of the thread all I can say is how come I didnt see people like bexy, peachy, & towny in the theology courses I took (long time ago) debates would certainly have reached a higher plane :¬)

Russ
04-11-2003, 14:32

But being a Christian yourself I thought you'd know that what you've just said doesn't apply??

Chris
04-11-2003, 16:35
But being a Christian yourself I thought you'd know that what you've just said doesn't apply??
shurley you're not suggesting peachey is a troll? ;) :D

Russ
04-11-2003, 17:52
Who me? :spin:

Xaccers
04-11-2003, 18:16

No that was the start of the end of times.
I think they actually predicted 1974 or something as the end.
However they've stoppped predicting it, and now just say it will happen within the life time of those who were involved in the begining (IE back in 1914).
So given that without divine intervention we're not supposed to be able to live over 120, and say the youngest soldier was 16, if it doesn't happen by 2020 they'll have to come up with another excuse :D

Russ
04-11-2003, 18:18
The end will happen when it happens and no matter what you believe, nothing is going to able to stop it :)

philip.j.fry
04-11-2003, 18:26
The end will happen when it happens and no matter what you believe, nothing is going to able to stop it :)

Yep that's true.

However, as a one time offer I'm offering space on my inter-dimensional craft to avoid the end for a low fee of all your world possessions :)

Xaccers
04-11-2003, 18:31

Like a rich stranger paying for Jesus' tomb, and possibly being pierced by the spear.
I'm pretty sure that the rich stranger bit was part of the Hebrew prophecy of the messiah

Chris
04-11-2003, 18:40
Like a rich stranger paying for Jesus' tomb, and possibly being pierced by the spear.
I'm pretty sure that the rich stranger bit was part of the Hebrew prophecy of the messiah

There are prophecies that were within Jesus' own power to fufil, and others that he had no control over. For example, he said from the cross 'I'm thirsty,' we're told, deliberately 'in order to fulfil the scripture.' On the other hand, it's hard to see how Jesus had any control over the fact that the soldiers chose not to break his legs as they did with the others crucified with him (prophecied in Psalm 34), or that they cast lots to see who would get his robe (one of many crucifixion prophecies in Psalm 22).

Are we off topic yet? ;) :D

Bex
04-11-2003, 18:44

indeed :D

as for the mentally ill proclaiming Jesus return or whatever...i've seen first hand how people can become ill and claim things with are nonsensical (yes some of you will say my belief in an eternal loving God, and Jesus Christ are nonsensical but i disagree) someone i cared about a lot, proclaimed he was jesus reincarnate.....it was a trying time and luckily he sought help and now realises that it was not fact

bible prophesy as towny said has thus far proved right........all things that have been said in the old testment have mainly come true...the prophesies about end times are obviously yet to be fullfilled..........

metawraith i studied theology in my first year of uni, and unfortunately there wasn't much deep level of discussion....however studying christianity from a philosophical view point did start a lot of discussions, and being amongst only 5/6 christians on the course.......interesting discussions :p

Theodoric
04-11-2003, 18:54
What is interesting about the proposed end of the world is that, as far as I know, the Bible says nothing about what will happen to the rest of the Universe. OK, Revelations says something, IIRC, about a star falling from the Heavens, but this cannot be meant literally as a star, or even one of the five planets known to the Ancient World, hitting the earth would have brought the whole thing to a complete halt.

So, the last time I looked it up, it was estimated that there were about 100 million stars in our galaxy and about 100 million galaxies in the known universe. Does the rest of the universe go on its merry way after the Millennium starts on earth, or what?

EDIT Whoops! I meant 100 billion in each case!

Chris
04-11-2003, 19:02
What is interesting about the proposed end of the world is that, as far as I know, the Bible says nothing about what will happen to the rest of the Universe. OK, Revelations says something, IIRC, about a star falling from the Heavens, but this cannot be meant literally as a star, or even one of the five planets known to the Ancient World, hitting the earth would have brought the whole thing to a complete halt.

So, the last time I looked it up, it was estimated that there were about 100 million stars in our galaxy and about 100 million galaxies in the known universe. Does the rest of the universe go on its merry way after the Millennium starts on earth, or what?

Dunno.

Can't wait to find out. :D

Russ
04-11-2003, 19:05

I think it doesn't mention the rest of the universe because, quite simply, we don't need to know, it doesn't affect us one bit :)

Although Revelations states that when Jesus returns, God will be here to "rule over worlds", could this be taken to mean other planets?

philip.j.fry
04-11-2003, 19:19
I think it doesn't mention the rest of the universe because, quite simply, we don't need to know, it doesn't affect us one bit :)

Well not when it was written and not particularly currently, but at some point there are bound to be humans living in other parts of the universe.

Although Revelations states that when Jesus returns, God will be here to "rule over worlds", could this be taken to mean other planets?

I would take it so, though another interpretation could be the different spiritual worlds, i.e Heaven and Earth.

Xaccers
04-11-2003, 19:35
Anyway, getting off the christian theme, I think what our local world needs is more of a sense of community, which is quite hard to rebuild.
How many of you are unlucky (or maybe lucky) enough to live in a street that when the new year ticks in and you run out to celebrate, you're the only one outside?
How many people live in a street where everyone gets together for one night of fireworks and bbq's etc, rather than several nights where people do their own thing?
I guess (ok bit if religous topic coming up, I'm sorry) in the past, people had the local church to help bind them together, most people went, and talking to other people after the service was the social thing to do.
These days the church has become less important to people, but there isn't something to take it's place, so in general we become less social, we don't mix with others.
If this can be turned round, if people can be shown they have a social responsibility to each other, then we can start to make the world a better place.
Now bugger off and leave me alone :D

Bex
04-11-2003, 19:59
Anyway, getting off the christian theme, I think what our local world needs is more of a sense of community, which is quite hard to rebuild.
How many of you are unlucky (or maybe lucky) enough to live in a street that when the new year ticks in and you run out to celebrate, you're the only one outside?
How many people live in a street where everyone gets together for one night of fireworks and bbq's etc, rather than several nights where people do their own thing?
I guess (ok bit if religous topic coming up, I'm sorry) in the past, people had the local church to help bind them together, most people went, and talking to other people after the service was the social thing to do.
These days the church has become less important to people, but there isn't something to take it's place, so in general we become less social, we don't mix with others.
If this can be turned round, if people can be shown they have a social responsibility to each other, then we can start to make the world a better place.

:rofl: at your last line

yes there isn't a big sense of community in most places these days, unfortunately some churches have also lost this sense of community :(
i think if we treat those around us well and then those people treat those around them well and thus forward then the world will become a better place..kinda like in the film "pay it forward" which btw is an awesome film
i always try to go out of my way and help people, whether it is helping an old lady across the road, talking to someone at the bus stop whatever...

Xaccers
04-11-2003, 20:04
kinda like in the film "pay it forward" which btw is an awesome film

Yeah but he's still dead :D

Bex
04-11-2003, 20:19
Yeah but he's still dead :D

:bigcry: i know :bigcry:

Chris
04-11-2003, 21:15

1. We don't. :(
2. We don't. :(
3. Still is for us :)
4. We were very grateful for our church, helped us fit in when we moved down here to a town where we knew no-one. I have no idea how other folks manage.
5. You're more than welcome to come along on Sunday morning. ;)
6. OK. :sulk:

Xaccers
04-11-2003, 23:42
5. You're more than welcome to come along on Sunday morning. ;)

I need my beauty sleep on Sunday mornings :D

6. OK. :sulk:

Aw, I didn't mean you Towny, honest ;)

Chris
04-11-2003, 23:47
Aw, I didn't mean you Towny, honest ;)

I know, just been looking for an excuse to use that smiley :D

Xaccers
04-11-2003, 23:51
I know, just been looking for an excuse to use that smiley :D

Glad I could oblige :)

MetaWraith
05-11-2003, 12:54

Excellent post Xaccers, and Bexy's followup.

A sense of community is what's saddly diminished in many places these days.

Community spirit can and should transcend religion and personal beliefs, and it need not stop one from respecting others beliefs.

peachey
05-11-2003, 14:18
Excellent post Xaccers, and Bexy's followup.

A sense of community is what's saddly diminished in many places these days.

Community spirit can and should transcend religion and personal beliefs, and it need not stop one from respecting others beliefs.

yeah
it galls me when you see those types driving around in cars with those fish christianity stickers preaching good will to all men and they won't even let you out into a traffic queue

Chris
05-11-2003, 14:39
yeah
it galls me when you see those types driving around in cars with those fish christianity stickers preaching good will to all men and they won't even let you out into a traffic queue
frankly I'm ashamed of my driving sometimes. I don't have a fish on my car because I don't want people to judge an entire religion based on seeing me when I'm not at my best. :disturbd:

But it's a pity that some folks seem so desperate to knock a way of life that they would cling on to one instance of not being allowed into a queue (this is not levelled at anyone in particular, the fish sticker/bad driver line is one I have heard many times before).

Theodoric
06-11-2003, 14:57
yeah
A fish on the back of a car doesn't mean that the driver is a born again Christian. I once had a second-hand car that came fitted with a fish as an unoptional extra. I didn't remove it for fear of damaging the paintwork. And to complete my argument, I am frequently berated by my wife for not letting other car drivers into traffic queues. :)

Russ
06-11-2003, 17:26
There's a fish on the back of my car all right! Although sometimes my driving is bad enough to make a saint swear... :spin:

Bex
06-11-2003, 17:44
as i don't have a car i can't comment on a fish sticker...or the bad driving of some...

however i do have a fish pin which i always wear on my jacket......it has provoked some interesting discussions.......especailly on the long bus journeys i used to have to make when i lived in leeds

Chris
06-11-2003, 18:25
I had a fish pin on my college scarf when I was at university. But I was a well-known Bible basher on campus anyway so it didn't surprise anyone. :D

Bex
06-11-2003, 18:29
I had a fish pin on my college scarf when I was at university. But I was a well-known Bible basher on campus anyway so it didn't surprise anyone. :D

my campus was too big for me to be known as a "bible basher" but those whoever had a tutorial with me knew :p

Chris
06-11-2003, 18:40
my campus was too big for me to be known as a "bible basher" but those whoever had a tutorial with me knew :p

Lampeter, on the other hand, is one of the smallest. Not a lot goes on there that everybody else doesn't know about...

Xaccers
06-11-2003, 22:01
I have to say that the fish sticker = bad driver probably just comes down to the car having something memorable about it, although a lot of the drivers I've seen do have an "in another world" expression on their faces :D
And rover drivers do tend not to indicate from what I've seen (Russ of course is excluded) :D

Chris
06-11-2003, 22:18
!!!

I always use my indicator!

Bex
06-11-2003, 22:38
maybe a way to sort out the world's problems is everyone learn to drive properly, with more etiquette on letting people out of turnings etc

:rofl:

bexy knackered and is going to bed :wavey:

Chris
06-11-2003, 22:42
Evil selfish driving is far worse a problem in the south east than it is up north, I've noticed. when we go back to Glasgow to visit family I have to remind myself that it's not necessary to tackle the M8 muttering 'take no prisoners' under my breath.

Sleep well ... I'm off myself too. :zzz:

Bex
07-11-2003, 11:20
[QUOTE=towny]Evil selfish driving is far worse a problem in the south east than it is up north, I've noticed. when we go back to Glasgow to visit family I have to remind myself that it's not necessary to tackle the M8 muttering 'take no prisoners' under my breath.[QUOTE]

i must admit the more relaxed way of life is something i really miss now im back down south