PDA

View Full Version : Installation scheduled for 1st November

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 13:32
Hopefully getting my installation done (all three services) on Sat. 1st November. Will post on the results on Monday (or lack of results! :))

Would be good to know from others, maybe reassuring, if their installations happened on the scheduled date? Also, I can see the property behind me has cable, but I cannot see for sure where the NTL main box is...so I am hoping that I will be able to actually have it installed (do the technicians wire through an exisiting connection on someone elses house, or do they have to lay a new cable from the main box to my property?)

ian@huth
30-10-2003, 14:38
They lay a new cable from the green box to your house. My installation happened on the date and time that they said it would. It is as well to go over with the installation crew the routing for the cables into your house as I've seen some right slapdash routings where they have been left to themselves to work out where to place the cables. If there is any conflict between what you want and what they say they can do it is as well to sort this out before they commence work.

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 14:51
that gets me a little worried, as the closest "green box" I can see is not very close :( but, if those places behind me have cable then surely I should be able to get it too. (i hope!) :)

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 14:54
that gets me a little worried, as the closest "green box" I can see is not very close :( but, if those places behind me have cable then surely I should be able to get it too. (i hope!) :)
There should be no reason why not ... is the 'street' already cabled. Look for a triangular or circular black cover on the pavement outside your house.

Make sure that you are happy with what they are doing ... if you were doing cabling yourself, where would you want it to go??

Make sure you get them to clean up after. :)

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 15:01
triangular or circular cover...err, how do i tell whether it is for the NTL cable or sumthing else? TBH with you, I don't care how they cable it, as long as I can actually get it ;) (obviously, it would be better if it was not too untidy :D)

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 15:02
btw, thanks for the prompt replies guys :D

paulyoung666
30-10-2003, 15:08
triangular or circular cover...err, how do i tell whether it is for the NTL cable or sumthing else? TBH with you, I don't care how they cable it, as long as I can actually get it ;) (obviously, it would be better if it was not too untidy :D)

it possibly has catv stamped on it :)

ian@huth
30-10-2003, 15:17

Mine is square, lol. In many places you can see the tarmac track about a foot wide where they originally laid the cable and the cover is a branch off from this. If you can see a likely cover it will be either water or cable and you can usually tell which if you read what is on the cover, if not, open it up and have a look.

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:18
it possibly has catv stamped on it :)
It isn't usually very big, and you can't confuse it with anything else cos it's circular or triangular:D

If you find one, then the cabling will be done from that to your hse and not from the green box.

I take it your having Digi TV, Phone and BB rather than Digi TV, Phone and Dialup :D

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:19
Mine is square, lol. In many places you can see the tarmac track about a foot wide where they originally laid the cable and the cover is a branch off from this. If you can see a likely cover it will be either water or cable and you can usually tell which if you read what is on the cover, if not, open it up and have a look.
Well, there has to be 'one' exception to the rule :D

ian@huth
30-10-2003, 15:22
It isn't usually very big, and you can't confuse it with anything else cos it's circular or triangular:D

If you find one, then the cabling will be done from that to your hse and not from the green box.

I take it your having Digi TV, Phone and BB rather than Digi TV, Phone and Dialup :D

The cable HAS to come from the green box,

All covers in our area are square, never seen a round or trianguar one.

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:25

I don't disagree with you on that, but where I've lived, the cable from the box has already been 'pulled' to the little black triangular/round/square thingy on the pavement. It's just been a question of connecting the house from there.

homealone
30-10-2003, 15:27

mine is square too - originally installed by Diamond Cable.

ian@huth
30-10-2003, 15:32
I don't disagree with you on that, but where I've lived, the cable from the box has already been 'pulled' to the little black triangular/round/square thingy on the pavement. It's just been a question of connecting the house from there.

I have never seen that done. I would have thought that only taking the cable from the green box to your cover would introduce a joint which would degrade the service. In addition it would be very costly to have all that cable going unused and would mean having green boxes large enough to provide for every house passed.

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 15:32
hehe...will have a look when I get home. what do they do from the little square/triangular/round cover in the ground...do they lay the cable overground, or dig a hole in the tarmac/pavement?

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:34
mine is square too - originally installed by Diamond Cable.
ok, I submit the little thingy on the pavement can be round, square or triangular, but should easily be distinguishable from a water meter thing. :D

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:37
I have never seen that done. I would have thought that only taking the cable from the green box to your cover would introduce a joint which would degrade the service. In addition it would be very costly to have all that cable going unused and would mean having green boxes large enough to provide for every house passed.
You're probably right about the connection, there is a lage concrete cable lid down the end of the road, I can only assume that it's all waterproofed etc :eek:

hehe...will have a look when I get home. what do they do from the little square/triangular/round cover in the ground...do they lay the cable overground, or dig a hole in the tarmac/pavement?
I've never seen it overground .. previously they've put it under grass and created a channel through the tarmac to the house.

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 15:44
I have a sense of foreboding :(
the thing is, I cannot get ADSL in my area...so this is my last chance...and if I cannot get cable, i think i might go a bit mad...I have had withdrawal symptons already since moving into the new place 4 weeks ago :D

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:49
I have a sense of foreboding :(
the thing is, I cannot get ADSL in my area...so this is my last chance...and if I cannot get cable, i think i might go a bit mad...I have had withdrawal symptons already since moving into the new place 4 weeks ago :D
Have NTL confirmed that they can cable your house ?

If so, you've not got a prob :)

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 15:55
yes they have, but pipex "confirmed" I can get ADSL in my house too :( which meant I got a BT line, and installed satelite...only to get them telling me 2 weeks later "sorry, you cant get it, your house is too far"...which meant I had to pay disconnection fees for the satellite, and BT line :( So, I am a bit cynical at present :)

ian@huth
30-10-2003, 16:05
You can just have a cable modem from NTL and keep the Sky and BT.

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 16:08
yeah, but the way I see it, it will be a saving in the end to get all services from them (and also I prefer to just have one provider, makes things simpler). Although you might have me back on this forum after a while complaining endlessly about their tv and phone service and wishing I never got it :D

ian@huth
30-10-2003, 16:12
yeah, but the way I see it, it will be a saving in the end to get all services from them (and also I prefer to just have one provider, makes things simpler). Although you might have me back on this forum after a while complaining endlessly about their tv and phone service and wishing I never got it :D

That all depends on what you want from the services and your usage pattern on the telephone side.

Best of luck anyway, hope that all goes well.

SuBtaFuGe
30-10-2003, 16:38
thanks very much

well, I don't use the telephone at all really, so call costs shouldn't be an issue. I am hoping the TV side will not be a disappoinment...and I hope changing channels will not be as slow as I saw on a friends NTL installation a year or so ago.

SuBtaFuGe
01-11-2003, 12:41
yay! all hooked up, no problems :)

grum1978
04-11-2003, 22:14
yay! all hooked up, no problems :)

How are you finding the service?