PDA

View Full Version : Getting connected

Carlito
25-06-2003, 14:34
I know you guys are probably sick of explaining how to get connected to Live, but I was looking for some advice. I've tried connecting via ICS and crossover cable although when trying to share a connection I dont seem to have the option of it-it just doesnt seem to be there. I'm looking in properties of My Network Places, the prop. of Local Area Connection and into advanced. I dont have the option to allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection. Am i being a doofus?!!!

Caspar
25-06-2003, 14:41
:wavey: Welcome to nthw Carlito :)

Here's what you need to connect to the XBOX via ICS:

http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/start/connect/sharedpc/

Seems like you're having problems setting ICS up, so:

Windows XP:
Click on the properties of the network connection you wish to share -> Advanced.

Now run the Network Setup Wizard

After the restart got back the advanced tab on the network connection, you'll now see the ICS option to share the connection.

Any problems after this then let us know...

eddie00001
25-06-2003, 14:44
You can also find some help here by NTHW clans vfery own Tez http://www.britxbox.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5075

Carlito
25-06-2003, 14:55
Cheers for the replies. Im using cable modem (USB) with win XP and have followed all the instructions on Xbox site although I dont seem to have the actual option to activate ICS-all I see is Internet connection Firewall with nothing else-I believe this is where I should activate this?

Caspar
25-06-2003, 14:57
Originally posted by Carlito
Cheers for the replies. Im using cable modem (USB) with win XP and have followed all the instructions on Xbox site although I dont seem to have the actual option to activate ICS-all I see is Internet connection Firewall with nothing else-I believe this is where I should activate this?

see my post above m8 :)

You can launch the Network Connection Wizard also through the Network Connections window. Tab on the left title 'Network Tasks' -> 'Set up a home or small office network' ;)

Caspar
25-06-2003, 15:19
I believe there's a performance hit of about 20% when using USB connections too :confused:

Ethernet/Wireless is the best way to connect the XBOX to XBL.

Tezcatlipoca
25-06-2003, 22:07
Originally posted by eddie00001
You can also find some help here by NTHW clans vfery own Tez http://www.britxbox.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5075

Thanks for the mention, CannonFodder. :)

(plus it's always good to plug BritXBox :) )

I'm gonna try & get round to posting that stuff in here too.

Tez

Tezcatlipoca
25-06-2003, 22:08
Originally posted by Caspar
I believe there's a performance hit of about 20% when using USB connections too :confused:

Ethernet/Wireless is the best way to connect the XBOX to XBL.

Yep, USB sucks ass for networking.

I think Truan calls it a "jack of all trades, master of none", which seems apt.

Ethernet is much better than USB: less of a resource drain, more stable, designed specifically for networking............

Carlito
06-07-2003, 17:27
Hi, I've went out and bought a new c/over cable cos it kept telling me that a network cable is unplugged, but it hasn't made any difference. I tried cloning the MAC address into xbox although I was using the modems MAC address rather than the NIC at first? Im guessin my best option is to buy another NIC and use that to connect to my modem. I'm rapidly running out of ideas!!!

Tezcatlipoca
06-07-2003, 18:56
Don't clone the cable modem's MAC address into the XBox! No way that'll work.

Also, if you're using ICS, then DO NOT clone the MAC of your NIC into the XBox!

If you use ICS, you do not need to clone any MAC address into the XBox. Leave the option blank.

You only need to clone a MAC onto the XBox if you are connecting the XBox directly.

Getting another NIC to connect the modem would be a good idea. You could then use that for the modem, rather than USB, & use your other NIC for the XBox, & set up ICS. You can still use ICS if you connect the modem with USB, but USB isn't as good, & you already seem to have problems doing it?

EDIT:

If you want to try a direct conneciton instead of ICS, then have a look here: http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=715

Carlito
08-07-2003, 23:22
I didn't think cloning the modem's MAC address would work, but I had to keep tryin things! Anyways, I'm off to get myself another NIC. hopefully I should then be sorted and I can come back with some good results!

Tezcatlipoca
09-07-2003, 00:14
OK. Hopefully it'll work! :)

btw...When you change from using USB to connect the modem to using ethernet to connect the modem, you'll first need to uninstall the USB cable modem & its drivers before using ethernet, & will also need to reboot the modem (or, preferably, turn it off for at least 5 mins to be sure).

- Uninstall Correct Connect if you have it (it's crap & pointless).

- Bring up a command prompt & type "ipconfig /release" to release your IP address.

- Turn off the modem & disconnect its USB lead.

- Uninstall the USB Cable Modem entry in the device manager or network properties (can't remember where it appears...).

- If there are any other entries for the USB modem anywhere, then uninstall them too.

- Reboot

- Turn off PC. Install new NIC & install TCP/IP on it. Set the NIC's TCP/IP properties to use DHCP ("Obtain IP Automatically"). Reboot.

- Turn off PC. Make sure modem has been off for at least 5 minutes. Connect the network cable that came with the modem to the PC's new NIC & to the modem's ethernet port (RJ45).

- Turn on the modem. Let it boot first (may take longer than usual the 1st time as using a different interface).

- Once the modem has booted, turn on the PC.

- The PC should be able to connect to the net fine using the new NIC connected to the modem.

- Set up ICS to share the net connection on the new NIC through the other NIC connected to the XBox (details in links given earlier by Andre & Caspar)..........

Robin Walker's Cable Modem Tips page has info on swapping from using USB to ethernet here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

Once you have your PC connected OK using ethernet instead of USB, you can also easily use a direct connection from your XBox to modem if you want: http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=715

Carlito
10-07-2003, 17:58
Quite a comprehesive guide there Tezacatlipoca, much appreciated! Hopefully I'll be back in the next few days poppin caps on GR!

Tezcatlipoca
10-07-2003, 18:38
No problem, mate. Hope you get it working soon. :)

Tez

Emperordalek
13-07-2003, 13:21
I've just changed from ICS to a Linksys router (befsr41) it was only £39 from Ebuyer. Kept having all sorts of lag problems using ICS. It was really difficult to get a game on MM3 for instance. No such problem now and you don't need to leave the pc on either.

Carlito
14-08-2003, 19:28
Alright people, cheers for the advice. Finally got myself sorted out and bought myself a router. This sorted everything out and I'm happily on Live! I've only got 1 live game though, GR, I'm lookin to buy a good online game-anyone got any ideas?!

Tezcatlipoca
14-08-2003, 19:39
Glad you're finally on Live, Carlito :)

More XBL games?

If you like GR, then you'll like GR:IT (Ghost Recon Island Thunder). Out next month, for only £15 or so (it's basically a standalone expansion pack of GR).

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is very good. More arcadey & less "realistic" than GR, but very good fun, & very good for team work etc.

Midtown Madness 3 is a good (but not serious) racer. Very fun to play.

Midnight Club 2 is a good street racer... although Project Gotham 2 should hopefully be out soon.

I'm sure others will have good suggestions.

Boom
14-08-2003, 19:39
Depends what your into:

Racing games:

MotoGP
MotoGP2
Midnight Club 2
Midtown Madness 3

FPS:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Soldier of Fortune 2
Unreal Championship
GR : Island Thunder (in a month)

RPG:
Phantasy Star Online

Fighting:
Capcom vs SNK

Sports:
NFL Fever
NFL/NBA/NHL 2K3

Others:
Whacked!
SW: Clone Wars

There are other games that have Download Content as well.

My recommendation if you like a fun aand a bit arcady FPS is Wolfenstein.

Originally posted by Carlito
Alright people, cheers for the advice. Finally got myself sorted out and bought myself a router. This sorted everything out and I'm happily on Live! I've only got 1 live game though, GR, I'm lookin to buy a good online game-anyone got any ideas?!