PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: NTL email problems

Caspar
29-10-2003, 09:27
I'm having problems using NTL's SMTP server this morning...

Is it just me or is anyone else have sending problems, on a NTL line?

Caspar
29-10-2003, 09:35
I just tried another SMTP server and my emails are sent straightaway...so it must be an NTL problem.

Still, is anyone else having the same problem?

timewarrior2001
29-10-2003, 09:43
I just tried another SMTP server and my emails are sent straightaway...so it must be an NTL problem.

Yup, was playing up yesterday also.
My email worked at 8.45am but hasnt since, cant send or receive.

homealone
29-10-2003, 09:44

yes - tried sending mail last night & it wouldn't go. Logged in again this morning and it finally went after several tries. Receive on the pop server was intermittent as well.

Enterian
29-10-2003, 09:57
I can't get into Webmail so I guess they have problems. My bet is they'll blame the solar flare!

Mark W
29-10-2003, 09:57
ntl? having mail problems? AGAIN? nah, perish the thought :dozey:

im in at 2, so ill find out whats up this time for ya :)

paulyoung666
29-10-2003, 10:19
haway guys i thought you would have checked the server status page , geez some people :rolleyes: :) :) :) :) :)

Caspar
29-10-2003, 10:35
I can't get into Webmail so I guess they have problems. My bet is they'll blame the solar flare!

Apparantly the solar flare is the third biggest one in recorded history :p

Have a read over at Moonpeople.com forums (http://www.whichbrowser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125).

Enterian
29-10-2003, 11:22
Apparantly the solar flare is the third biggest one in recorded history :p

Have a read over at Moonpeople.com forums (http://www.whichbrowser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125).
Hope the sky clears - might be worth looking for aurorae tonight.

idi banashapan
30-10-2003, 18:23
anyone having issue collecting / sending mail at the minute?? In Herts.

Marge
30-10-2003, 18:40
I would think there is a fault at the mo judging by the calls I'm taking :cry:

bigitup_j
30-10-2003, 18:42
oh dear servers are down again! can't get my emails and nth.com people having same troubles.
ntl are supposed to be fixing this problem!

paulyoung666
30-10-2003, 18:43
its up on www.ntlworld.com server status page :mis:

idi banashapan
30-10-2003, 18:50
cool - cheers people

Defiant
30-10-2003, 18:52
Oh please use one of the free e-mail services from yahoo or lycos. I'm sick of hearing about problems about the NTL one. Its simple to do after all

birchyboy
30-10-2003, 19:07
I'll second Defiant's call.

ntlworld Email Service - Intermittent
ntlhome internet customers attempting to receive their ntlworld email may currently be unable to do so due to a technical fault.

Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause

So, it's not your email client. Even when logged on to WebEdge you will get this when you try to send from ntl -

The SMTP server mta01-svc:25 could not be contacted. Your message has not been sent.

Alanmelon
30-10-2003, 19:12
Oh please use one of the free e-mail services from yahoo or lycos. I'm sick of hearing about problems about the NTL one. Its simple to do after all
Thats all well and good, but I still think we've got a right to be a bit aggrieved when we are paying for ntl's e-mail 'service' and it doesn't work.

birchyboy
30-10-2003, 19:24
Alanmelon - Very true, but what can we actually DO about it? I only need ntl as an ISP. I use Yahoo as well and never get trouble with it. It also has an automatic bulk (spam) mail filter that works.

allanprg
30-10-2003, 19:27
Yep my email is down at the moment. It's been down about an hour now. Nothing in or out. I even tried the NTL web mail. No good either. If I need to send an email I'll have to use yahoo or yourwap webmail. I wonder how long this is going to keep up. I hope nobody is sending me anything.

Alanmelon
30-10-2003, 19:33
Alanmelon - Very true, but what can we actually DO about it? I only need ntl as an ISP. I use Yahoo as well and never get trouble with it. It also has an automatic bulk (spam) mail filter that works.
I guess, dunno why I'm moaning anyway, it's probably the first main problem that I've had with my service in 6 months.

Graham
30-10-2003, 19:49
I'm having trouble sending mail at the moment (not the AOL problem mentioned elsewhere).

When I try to send a message I get told that "connection to the SMTP server failed, this may be due to it being unavailable or refusing SMTP connections".

I've tried phoning the NTL fault report service, but got fed up with holding after 10 minutes.

downquark1
30-10-2003, 20:13
Webmail not working
Email client programs repeated reject password

And I want to use my fancy new apple mail program :mis: :cry: :cry:

Paul
30-10-2003, 21:00
NTL SMTP is currently knackered (honestly, it is ;))

Scarlett
30-10-2003, 22:49
Email client programs repeated reject password

sounds famillier, I have that day in day out, WTF is the point of having an always on connection when you have to come home to 101 authentication failed messages that once canceled will let you download email again. as for Yahoo mail It might be okay to use but there currently automatically set as spam due to at least 1 message a day coming in with a @yahoo emailwith some stupid offer.

Elliot Coad
10-11-2003, 11:42
Today I tried to "send and receive" and it just gave me a login screen and wont accept my details.

Bizarre
22-11-2003, 11:18
Anybody else with e-mail problems yet again today?

gtt
22-11-2003, 12:30
I can't access mine today. I see the "server status " page says there is no problem - that's ok then...

Still, I suppose I can wait a day or two before downloading my 100 spams for the day.

Not only does NTL's emai service not work, even when it does, I wish it didn't!

gtt
22-11-2003, 12:36
Ah ha! After a lengthy "authorising" phase, I did get in in the end.

lemarsh
22-11-2003, 14:08
I have tried over the last 24 hours to create a new email account - keep getting through to agreeing an email address, but then it fails to create it.

Why can't NTL get their email in order

Graham
22-11-2003, 22:36
I've had problems with messages being slow to send for the past couple of weeks now (as well as quite a few other times in the recent and not so recent past).

I click on "send" and it takes anything up to 30 seconds for the message to actually leave, that is if it doesn't come back with a time out error!

bo-peep
23-11-2003, 11:08
it's been doing me head in for a couple of weeks now.wtf IS going on? fortunately my mail redirection has worked this time but from the ntl account my mail is sumtimes arriving a week l8r.sum redirected mail in my hotmail account is NOT arriving in OE and never does.i'm still getting undeliverable mail messages that i sent on Tuesday.

poolking
23-11-2003, 13:18

All well and good, but there are some sites on the net that do not like free e-mail addresses and reject them.

Maggy
23-11-2003, 13:47
strangely enough i recieved a notification email from TOS AFTER it closed.

incog. :)

bo-peep
23-11-2003, 14:30
poolking

this site won't let me put a hotmail addy in and cos all mail isn't being redirected to me i don't always know if there's been a response in here.

Incognitas

did u ask for one?

love the sig btw.glad it's not just me who doesn't like christmas.

th'engineer
28-11-2003, 19:41
its broke again

Neil
28-11-2003, 20:39
its broke again

Mine's ok....:angel:

paulyoung666
28-11-2003, 20:40
Mine's ok....:angel:

so is mine in chilly teesside :)

Neil
28-11-2003, 20:41
so is mine in chilly teesside :)

The difference is-mine's not an ntl E-Mail address anymore! :D

th'engineer
02-12-2003, 08:46
Just read that upgrades to e-mail are going on this week

Upgrades to the ntlworld e-mail servers will mean that customers will be unable to recieve email for the duration
of the outage window

No change normal Service then:p

th'engineer
02-12-2003, 22:49
Just read that upgrades to e-mail are going on this week

ntlworld mail - All packages
2 December 2003 17:29

We are very sorry but due to a technical problem many of our broad band and dial up internet customers may be unable to send or receive emails at present, our engineers are working very hard behind the scenes to restore service. Please accept our sincere apologies for this disruption.

poolking
03-12-2003, 07:52
Had no problems with e-mail yesterday. Must have been fixed before 8.30.

th'engineer
07-12-2003, 14:03
Reliable e-mail servers

Here we go again
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR mail storage services unavailable, wait a few minutes and try again.', Port: 5100, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

poolking
07-12-2003, 14:16
Reliable e-mail servers

Here we go again
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR mail storage services unavailable, wait a few minutes and try again.', Port: 5100, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
No probs here, just received some emails.

Fawkes
07-12-2003, 16:34
Reliable e-mail servers

Here we go again

Sorry th'eng it my fault, I haven't collected my spam for a day or two and the server must be full by now!

EDIT: Should be fixed now - 155 new messages one including the W32.Mimail.J@mm worm!

paulyoung666
07-12-2003, 17:07
strange aint it , i havent had a problem with ntl mail for quite a while now :erm: , i hope i aint spoke to soon :p

slimshady
07-12-2003, 17:57
Reliable e-mail servers

Here we go again

well that error means what it says '-ERR mail storage services unavailable, wait a few minutes and try again.'...probably either your mailbox has locked up or that one of the ntlworld mail servers has had a hissy fit. If its the former try in about 15mins, if its the later then you best ring tech support.

fireman328
08-12-2003, 00:11
e-mail c**p again 2nite, keeps asking for password. I'll be really glad when someone actually repairs it properly and gives us a working e-mail system :mad:

Bizarre
08-12-2003, 09:38
Still no e-mail this morning...

fireman328
08-12-2003, 14:19
Same here. I am really p***ed off with this "now it works now it don't" e-mail service. I'd be better served if ntl sent me a oujia board or Tarot cards so I could hold a seance and ask "is there anybody there"

paulyoung666
08-12-2003, 14:27
i know it aint gonna help you but it has been fine in chilly teesside for a while now , thicko question time here , are the servers in one place or all over the place :dunce: :D

andyl
08-12-2003, 19:00
With ntlworld email playing up again yesterday and today (and once again stupidly long queues for Tech Support who already know of the problem yet haven't posted it on Server Status!) I'm writing to Santa to see if he can deliver me a reliable system for Christmas: http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/christmas2003/webchat.html

;)

Jonathan David
10-12-2003, 18:58
Is this problem the reason why i have not been receiving my daily e-mail from the BBC?
I can send and receive e-mails on my ntl account but just not this one.

tetsuko
10-08-2005, 17:26
:banghead: Does anyone know where to direct official complaints regarding the email situation as we haven't been able to use ours for sending mail for almost a month now and NTL's only advice after complaining to them on numerous occasions is to send our email via Hotmail :wtf:

simbr
15-08-2005, 20:20
What email situation would that be?
I can assure you that the service has not been down for the last month, and if you are able to receive email then there is unlikely to be a problem with your account.

andygrif
15-08-2005, 23:12
Sending and receiving mail is of course two completely separate actions and processes.

There are often (and when I say often I mean too many) occasions where downloading mail fails due to problems at ntl's end (usualy at peak useage times) but SMTP is unaffected.

:banghead: Does anyone know where to direct official complaints regarding the email situation as we haven't been able to use ours for sending mail for almost a month now and NTL's only advice after complaining to them on numerous occasions is to send our email via Hotmail :wtf:

It's more and more difficult now to get resolutions to these kind of problems, as the support staff that ntl have contracted off-shore seem only to be able to read through a list of possible problems/resolutions and if you know anything at all about the workings of your PC then you've probably tried everything (and lots more besides) that they have available to them.

I would guess that Broadband Medic might be able to help you - I don't know much about it as I so far refused to install it. This led once to BB tech support refusing to help me (even though the problem was at their end...but that's another story).

I assume that Medic will at the least check that you have the correct settings, and can then go back to the support drones and tell them that.

Mean time if you want to make a complaint Bill Goodland is the Director of internet. Search around this site if you want to find out how to email him.

Alternatively there are a few very helpful ntl staff lurking around this site - I'm sure that someone will tell you who the best one to PM with your details is.

tetsuko
15-08-2005, 23:57
What email situation would that be?
I can assure you that the service has not been down for the last month, and if you are able to receive email then there is unlikely to be a problem with your account.

The one that was affecting everyone whose IP address began 86.xx

It looks as though it's resolved now, despite the fact that the people on the tech support line were insistant that it was because I use Outlook and not Outlook Express.

I knew the settings and everything were fine my end as everything had been working for a good 6 months and I hadn't adjusted any settings.

And, as someone has already said, Sending and Receiving are two entirely different things, hence why they have different servers (pop and smtp).

simbr
17-08-2005, 15:46
Ah, I have heard of that problem.. hasn't affected anyone on Freedom that I know of so it's not really been on my radar.

cass
10-01-2006, 19:20
I'm having problems using NTL's SMTP server this morning...

Is it just me or is anyone else have sending problems, on a NTL line?

Hi
Noooooooo!! you are well not alone, for about a month now I have been getting a "failed delivery" notice to various ntlworld addresses, made expensive calls to my ISP (talktalk.net) who have looked at the problems our end, spoken to NTL also. I went on holiday and when I came back I had occasion to e mail a couple of ntlworld users, some of it went, some of it came back ohh my?
I did a test to 2 ntlworld friends asking them to reply if they got my mail - both did! Then I got a failed delivery from my ISP to one that had replied!!!!!
The bottom line is that they try to re deliver and I get notices every day saying tried 24hrs, 36hrs, 48hrs, and so on and a mailbox full of this endless rubbish, to put it nicely.
I use an SMPT server and again, I can only get a guaranteed send if I use a web based mailer! Come on NTLworld users, get your finger out and get on the phones, or e mail customer services and flood their in box. Or get a Hotmail or AOL e mail address. Oh my Lord?

Jon T
10-01-2006, 19:50
email from yahoo groups has been very hit and miss for ages here. Yahoo grops set it to bouncing status about once every two weeks, I re set it with yahoo and after a another few week it goes back to bouncing. The yahoo bounce status is "destinaton email server unreachable for too long".

njmpromos
06-06-2011, 13:05
Hi guys

I am having problems with my talktalk smpt can anyone help.

I have the smtp sever, username, password and port 25 however I get the following error:

503 #5.3.3 AUTH no available

Does anyone know how I can get this to work

Nicola

Nopanic
07-06-2011, 08:16
Hi guys

I am having problems with my talktalk smpt can anyone help.

I have the smtp sever, username, password and port 25 however I get the following error:

503 #5.3.3 AUTH no available

Does anyone know how I can get this to work

Nicola

First off, you already posted this, second don't bring back old threads that have nothing to do with your issue .. and thirdly .. as I said ..

SMTP uses IP authentication, if you are on VM's network you use VM's SMTP or you set it to use SSL ..

vichack
28-06-2011, 05:57

I have been on line originally from the days of (Cable and Wireless fibre optic Broadband now a highly respectedy corperate Company) .Then went to Ntl world and always found it easy to correct for faults. Now since the mass spam and advertising with Virgin I have had hosts of problems, and traps trying to get me to change. A recent problem ended with me in Pakistan or India , which after giving my billing details etc, they put me on a Virgin page asking me to put my NTL details, I ended up having to sign into a Virgin page related to NTL, and asked me to put in the original details of NTL and Password from years ago, which I did and ...then set up Outlook which I am highly familiar with, but from then on I was on dial-up, and had to sort it out for my Lan XL20Mbits Network, Now I am not recieving all the mail in my address, and my family who live in Germany, are also not recieving all my mail I send..I agree with Poster Defiant...I have now set up Google temporally and as I spend almost £1000 for my whole package TV L Phone, 20 Mbits XL(20) & other ancilliaries. Some of the older advisors were good, but some of the younger ones seem to use clip boards for info. I am a retired ex Lan Wan IT troubleshooter, who worked many years for a World Wide Main Frame network in Germany, and there if you got a service like Virgin...they would by law have to reimburse you for any losses . I notice also that my NTL server is now in Nottingham, where originally it was a few miles from M/chester near to my UK home . Mass marketing and small print, and all the tricks used are certainly...your computer may be at risk...Click Here...and you end up with formally free check..which now is charged at usually £29.99...and an entry in your registery, to make you loads of spam....Sorry for the blurb...VICHACK uk & Duesseldorf NRW :mad:. Wonder if they will print this:o::D here. :bigcry:

Nopanic
28-06-2011, 07:44
What ? £29.99, adding to the reg?

You sure your with Virgin Media ?

vichack
30-06-2011, 05:07
What ? £29.99, adding to the reg?

You sure your with Virgin Media ?
On NTL yes but billed by Virgin,, but my reference was to any of the earlier free program you want to down load some State click here to check before downloading the program. And it usually checks your computer (any type or ISP) checks it out and states you need to download this program as you have errors and then offers you a program to clean up the files they say that are faulty usually costing £29.99 or so. PC tools is one that states Your computer maybe at risk,,,click here and it reports a list of Temp files and a few they put in con you and, and then it cleans the files away, It also puts a link in your registery which from time to time asks you to update it..maybe my original post was not clear. My Ntl (Virgin bill advanced charges are £67.24 the full packagewith XL20 and all ancilliaries Telephone,TV, Talk Int, Talk weekends, Paper billing,etc etc ++Plus++ Telephone calls . In my opinion since Virgin took over, it.s just a massive marketing business, it even offers you components you already have installed, and I am still getting Welcome to Virgin letters inviting me with my NTL billing address which has "Virgin mediia heading". Sorry did not clarify my original post very well. Vichack UK & D. Kind Regards to all.

Fatjack
04-07-2011, 10:06
New question, possibly not a new problem:

I'm having to reset my POP setting on a daily basis, because VM Mail is reporting all messages read/accessed. This is tiresome, because the only way to get new messages into Outlook, where I need them, is to mark all messages unread, reset POP to download, and then clear all the previous repeated messages off Outlook.

vichack
07-07-2011, 05:27
its up on www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com) server status page :mis:
I am Ntl have been since Cable and wirless, and the post you gave led me to Virgin Media Advertising pages. I started with trouble and Virgin Media appeared to be trying to get me changed over to VM and contacting the Ntl support page ended up in India or some where, and he asked me for billing details etc. Then he asked me for my password and told me to add a figuras 1 to the end of it and said that should cure it. I ended up having to reset Outlook as it was now on dial up etc. I finally got it going and now I am inundated with VMedia adverts. Welcome etc to VM...I did not sign up for that...I wanted my emails to to work as normal. I am experienced in setting POP3. SMTP. and all the other settings. seems like VM have hijacked me to join them . I pay over £85 with all the extras including 20Mbits Broadband with set top bx etc Vichack..UK Duesseldorf....in Manchester for the next two weeks.