PDA

View Full Version : Need help with MAC Add~

mr0161
09-11-2005, 15:15
:cool: Ok i have been reading the forums i have just got the network adaptor having the same problem as everyone else, i see people saying "clone your pc's mac address onto the ps2" but then they leave it at that and don't tell you how, i'm on windows XP if that matters and helps, so can someone tell me with abit of detail on how to clone your pc's mac address onto the ps2, thanks alot

SMHarman
09-11-2005, 15:16
:welcome:
Are you connecting to NTL through a Set top box or through a Cable Modem?
If it is a cable modem, it is just a case of switching off (pulling the power out the back) the CM and then turning it on 20 seconds later, then it will realise that the PS is attached not the PC.
If it is a STB then you need to clone it, not being a PS2 owner I don't know the details of how you put the address into your PS2, but to find out the address, you open a command window in xp
start> run> cmd <cr> and type ipconfig/all and as part of that information the physical address is what you need as the address to clone.

mr0161
09-11-2005, 15:17
A set top box i think, the lead goes into the back of the long box thing where i can watch T.V from with, so it's the set top box

SMHarman
09-11-2005, 15:21
Have a look at my edited post above, you will have to wait for someone else to tell you how to type that address into your PS2, or look at all the online menus and try to find it.

mr0161
09-11-2005, 15:24
I already know all that but thanks for the try, it's that DNAS error 617 crap, i read about it all ready i need to clone my mac on the PS2 but no one ever tells you how, they just say "do the easy thing and clone it onto your PS" but i will wait to see if someone can shed some light on this, thanks again for the fast replys

Chris W
09-11-2005, 22:28
I believe that it isn't possible to change the mac address on a ps2, but what you need to do is change the mac address of the nic in your pc to match what the ps2 has.

To do so, go to device manager, then the advanced properties of the nic- there will be a space to enter the mac address/ physical address/ media address . Type in the one your ps2 network adaptor has, and then reboot the whole lot and you should get on.

When you reboot, you will need to visit http://start.ntl/ and reprovision, but once you have done this you should be online with no problems.

More information on a similar issue from a while back is here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=17544&page=1&pp=15)

mr0161
10-11-2005, 09:08
Ok, now i am kinda confused, you say you can't change the PS2 mac address but when i was reading around if i get a router it changes it or clones it or something, can someone shed some light on that.

can't find the device manager and can't seem to find the mac address thing anywhere so i guess i can't do it, and will have to get a router, but i wanna understand the top question first, thanks

mr0161
10-11-2005, 10:34
By the way, i had ntl installed since 2001, i think i used to have device manager but it ain't there, and ntl used to use correctconnect back in the day, but that stopped working after a while as well, do you think if i re-install ntl it will work again or?

So i don't know what my internet is running off any idea's? thanks again

SMHarman
14-11-2005, 11:42
Ok, now i am kinda confused, you say you can't change the PS2 mac address but when i was reading around if i get a router it changes it or clones it or something, can someone shed some light on that.NTL ties the service to registered mac addresses (for STB users). Most routers can clone mac addresses so you can put the mac address of the PC you registered with into the router and carry on regardless. Or with your pin number and account number you can re-register you router as a mac address on the service and no need to change mac addresses.

Now once the cloned (or re-registered) mac address is connected to the set top box, this is the only device connected to the NTL network. Everything on connected to it is on its own network (or a subnetwork of NTL). Within this network traffic can bounce around or be directed out to the internet as the device (router) talking to the internet connection is registered, even if the PS2 is not registered, it only talks to the router, this talks to NTL (and it is registered). HYSWIM.

Oh, and DON'T install Correct Connect or any other piece of NTL software - CF members reserve the right to withdraw support if such software is loaded on a members computer ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
14-11-2005, 14:34
I believe that it isn't possible to change the mac address on a ps2, but what you need to do is change the mac address of the nic in your pc to match what the ps2 has.

To do so, go to device manager, then the advanced properties of the nic- there will be a space to enter the mac address/ physical address/ media address . Type in the one your ps2 network adaptor has, and then reboot the whole lot and you should get on.

When you reboot, you will need to visit http://start.ntl/ and reprovision, but once you have done this you should be online with no problems.

More information on a similar issue from a while back is here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=17544&page=1&pp=15)

What he has said is correct. You have to clone your PS2 MAC Addy onto the PC and then register this with the STB. Once youve done that then the PS2 will work.

Going down the router option you can just register your router with the STB and then any device connected to the router will work as the STB only sees the MAC addy of the router and not the PS2 or any PC's

As you have suggested you couldnt find out how to clone a MAC addy onto the PS2, thats because you cant do it and why you have to Clone the PS2's MAC addy onto another device which can then provide a browser to be able to see the STB.

mr0161
17-11-2005, 13:05
Ok, thought i'd let you know, i got it all done, when i installed my ethernet card in my comp, took about 3 hours to get it up and running and it worked fine:)

Well the only thing i am worried about now is when the PS3 comes out will it need the same as the PS2 getting a MAC address and all that bother again, when it comes out i will have to get a router, so i can clone it's mac address IF it needs it.

Just wanna say thanks to the people who helped me out with this stuff, get down to buying Pro Evo, have some online fun with that.

P.S. maybe someone can answer this, does the Xbox 360 need the same thing as the PS2, don't need this answer, just wondering really.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 13:22
As you get you Broadband through the STB you would have the change the registered MAC address in the STB every time you changed betweenn PS2 and for example the XBOX. The reason being that these two devices will have different MAC address. There are two simpple solutions to this.

1. Get NTL to install you a SACM. Hardly likely that going to happen as they provide the service of offering a second IP address.

2. Get yourself a router, you register the router to the STB and everything you connect to the router will work fine.

mr0161
17-11-2005, 15:56
ok thanks, but i thought you could only register once with the STB?

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 16:03
ok thanks, but i thought you could only register once with the STB?

you can register as many times as you want but you can only have one active registration is my understanding

mr0161
17-11-2005, 17:53
Ok, hope someone can clear that up for us.

One more question, you said about the router "Get yourself a router, you register the router to the STB and everything you connect to the router will work fine." one thing i don't get, does that mean the xbox or PS2 etc, will work with any MAC address, so i wouldn't need to get the mac address of it and reg it, it will just work or?:confused:

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 17:56
One more question, you said about the router "Get yourself a router, you register the router to the STB and everything you connect to the router will work fine." one thing i don't get, does that mean the xbox or PS2 etc, will work with any MAC address, so i wouldn't need to get the mac address of it and reg it, it will just work or?:confused:

Correct, NTL cant see behind the router and therefore dont know what devices are being used or what their MAC addresses are. All NTL see is the MAC address of the router.

mr0161
17-11-2005, 18:29
so the MAC address of the router could be anything yet the PS2 etc.. will work anyway, even if the routers mac address ain't the same as the PS2's? cause i thought the mac address had the be the same as the consoles.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 18:34
so the MAC address of the router could be anything yet the PS2 etc.. will work anyway, even if the routers mac address ain't the same as the PS2's? cause i thought the mac address had the be the same as the consoles.

No.

The STB can only have one MAC address registered to it.

If you dont have a router and only a PC this isnt a problem as the MAC addresss of the PC is registered to the STB

If you have a PC and a PS2, as you cant override the PS2 MAC address you have to clone the MAC address of the PS2 onto the PC and then register it to the STB, removing the old PC MAC address to from the STB. This way both the PS2 and PC have the same MAC address.

If you have a router then you register the routers MAC address to the STB. Any device connected to the router is your own private network. When you go the router option, make sure the PC's MAC address is set back to its default. Otherwise you will have issues having both the PS2 and the PC on the private network with the same MAC address

mr0161
17-11-2005, 19:14
Yeah i have already cloned the PS2 mac address to the PC already and reg it the other day, so i am online with that now.

Just trying to learn all this confusing stuff about the router so when the PS3 comes out, i will be ready to get one set it up without all the bother as this time with the PS2.

One thing i really can't get my head around, if i reg the routers MAC address to the STB and get it set it, won't the routers mac address not be the same as the consoles, so it won't work?

Cause like i had to make the STB mac address the same as the PS2's so it could connect, wouldn't that be the same with the routers?

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 19:19
One thing i really can't get my head around, if i reg the routers MAC address to the STB and get it set it, won't the routers mac address not be the same as the consoles, so it won't work?

Cause like i had to make the STB mac address the same as the PS2's so it could connect, wouldn't that be the same with the routers?

What you will do when you get your router is connect the router to the STB. Connect your PC to the router. In order to get internet access you will need to register the routers MAC address (what ever it may be) to the STB.

So NTL side you will have Routers MAC Address and the STB

Your private network side you will have any MAC address you like. These do not get seen by NTL

The reason you had to make your PC the same as the PS2 is because you can only register one MAC address on the STB and as you dont have a router you are showing NTL the MAC address of you PC and your PS2. When you have a router, the PC and PS2 will be on the private network side of the router and therefore NTL cant set them due to the Nedwork address translation that takes place inside the router. As for as NTL are concerned all they will see is a single MAC address and it will be the MAC address of the router.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 19:22
sorry if im not explaining this clearly

mr0161
17-11-2005, 19:23
Ok, so when registering.

i connect it all up, router to PC, STB to router, router to console, the load PC and press start.ntl like last time, and reg?

and when you said "When you go the router option, make sure the PC's MAC address is set back to its default" what do you mean, will it tell me how to do this or?

Thanks for all this help, i have this in my fav's so when i get the router, when the PS3 comes out, i will be ready for all the problems and have a easy time, so thanks.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 19:26
and when you said "When you go the router option, make sure the PC's MAC address is set back to its default" what do you mean, will it tell me how to do this or?

Thanks for all this help, i have this in my fav's so when i get the router, when the PS3 comes out, i will be ready for all the problems and have a easy time, so thanks.

Remember how you cloned your PS2 MAC address onto your PC? When you connect both the PC and PS2 to a router you will need to "Unclone" you PS2's MAC address from your PC. Just go through the same process as you did to clone it but make sure its set back to the original MAC address

mr0161
17-11-2005, 19:30
yeah i remember how i did it, with the ethernet card, it let me type the PS2's address in it, so what do i do, delete it all? then disable the card and put it back on, and it should be back to the original?

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 19:35
yeah i remember how i did it, with the ethernet card, it let me type the PS2's address in it, so what do i do, delete it all? then disable the card and put it back on, and it should be back to the original?

i guess there was a radio button that you clicked to allow you to enter the PS2's MAC address. If there was, just click it again to uncheck it, this will revert back to the original MAC address.

mr0161
17-11-2005, 19:40
yeah there was a button like two black .'s when i clicked one it went back, when i clicked it to let me put the mac address on, it let me, or i clicked the other one, the mac address part went grey and wouldn't let me type in it, so just unclick that, set up the router, reg it with the STB, and should be all fine?:D

If so, thanks for all this help, i will be back to this when the PS3 comes out, to tell you if i had any problems etc etc.

Thanks, if anyone need helps just post here, but most of the hard things have already been said, so we all understand.:tu:

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2005, 19:45
i clicked the other one, the mac address part went grey and wouldn't let me type in it

in that state youre back to the default MAC address

mr0161
17-11-2005, 19:48
Ok, thanks again, and for the other people too.

So thanks for the fast replys, and for putting up with all the questions :angel:

SMHarman
20-11-2005, 23:15
The Thigh bone connects to the Knee Bone, the Knee bone connects to the Shin bone. The router connects to the STB, the STB connects to the router. The Router is the only thing connected to NTL so it is the only thing that needs to be registered, so anything plugged into it works.

mr0161
06-12-2005, 15:45
Ok, i'm getting a router in about 4 days, so i wanna know which one i should get, remember i am using a PACE STB NTL of course.

Got 50 quid to splash out.

I was reading up and saw this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KAC7/qid%3D1095363696/sr%3D1-6/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F3%5F6/203-9619839-9275902

is that good and will work for the PACE, without hassle and all that crap.

And can someone go on PCworld.co.uk and show me which leads i will need, i wanna make sure i get the 2 right leads, not sure if it's two CAT5's or what, i'm a newbie when it comes to this, so if someone could help me with this, will be very very happy, thanks alot:angel: