PDA

View Full Version : installation the story so far.........

bigAL99
05-11-2005, 12:50
I finally pursuaded my elderly parents to get cable installed and its taken alot of work oh how i wish i hadn't this is whats happened so far.

we went on the website and made the order basic tv package, talk unlimited and 1 mb broadband, easy they recieved the confirmation e-mail with ref number and a promise of a call from customer services within 48 hrs. 3 days past with no call so I told them to phone in.
customer services had no knowledge of their order so they did the order again and was told installation would happen 1/11/05. they recieved a direct debit guarantee letter but nothing else.
8 am monday morning 2 ntl persons arrived, they didnt have an order for broadband only tv and phone but no matter they could do it ok, my father showed them where the tv is and also his pc which is in another room (they live in a bungalow) that gave them the hump by all accounts.
out they went looking around then they returned explaining that they would have to drill in through their window frame and they were warning them that this would invalidate their house insurance. this obviously scared the hell out of my parents so my mum went out with the workman and eventually they found a point where they could enter through brick work.
2 mins later theres another knock at the door sorry they say but the road needs digging up we need to get another crew in, someone will be round later to survey the site. a couple of hours later a bloke turns up and explains that a line needs to be pulled for them but it wont happen before december 13th and this is the best bit if he was them he would cancel ntl and just stick with bt.
my parents at this point ring me very upset and very confused so i tell them i'l ring ntl and see whats going on. i ring customer services and explain whats happened but get told that a crew has been booked for 4/11 to do the road and that they are booked for installation for the 9th and they have no idea what this 2nd bloke is on about. i had to ring back on the 3rd to change the date of installation from the 9th but that wasnt a problem they are now booked in for the 10th.
the problem now is that it doesnt appear that any digging was done yesturday..... my parents are getting pretty worried because they've given bt and tiscali notice which runs out the 14th. Ive told them to just wait till the 10th and see what happens then. also to this point they havent recieved any mail from ntl regarding contracts username etc.
i'm hoping that everything is ok on the 10th but to be honest im not hopeful. my 2 major problems is how can workmen tell and elderly couple they need to drill through their window frame and that will invalidate their house insurance and also where does the survey bloke get off telling them that he would cancel ntl and stay with bt.if it doesnt get fitted on the 10th then it will be canceled and ntl will have lost customers.
the scary thing for me is i'm a very satisfied blueyonder customer of over 5 years and they are being taken over by this lot... lets hope that drags ntl upwards rather then the other way round.

MovedGoalPosts
05-11-2005, 13:17
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I do wonder so frequently why ntl bother with the online ordering for new customers. It just seems to cause so much grief :(

When I was installed, many years ago, I wasn't issued with any contract details until the tech arrived at my house to do the install and at that point I was left some papers. There won't be a username needed if broadband isn't being fitted. But then if you are requiring the TV, phone, broadband deal, you need to ensure that ntl have corrected their records to show this rahter than just the phone TV they tried to do first time.

You have dates for the install to ocurr, so you'll need to wait and see. You could call CS again on Monday to see that they have everything in hand. If you don't get the answers you need post back here and well see if we can escalate things for you with our ntl management contacts.

If you want to give ntl a piece of your mind think about using Responsetek.

sollp
05-11-2005, 13:30
The installers would know, and most people who install TV ariels, satellite ect that to drill through any woodwork will cause the frame to rot were the hole was drilled and also not to drill into any UPVC window frames full stop.

This is bad practice, what has happened they are looking for the easiest quickest root into the property, then to be told by the customer that they want the installation in different rooms again must have upset them more, i mean lets forget the customer shall we!

Unfortunately these any many others installations have been a big problem, its this kind of attitude that has labelled cable as second rate over the years. The word quality and professionalism does not come into the equation. Poor or little training, the wrong mindset of how the installer should act goes out the window as long as it's installed thats what matters most.

Make sure you tell them were it should go, if your not satisfied complain, insist it is done properly, if it looks wrong to you, it is wrong. They can do the job properly, and they will not if they know they can get away with it.

bigAL99
05-11-2005, 13:33
thanks for the reply, i did check that their records are correct regarding broadband as well and they apparently are correct. also just spoken to my mum and a crew are outside digging as we speak so maybe all will be well now fingers crossed. i think you are right about the online ordering it doesnt seam to work well at all, maybe they could use blueyonders instead which i believe works well.

i think i will contact ntl directly once all is fitted regarding the drilling through window frames episode and also the survey bloke as i think this was particularly poor.

spike7451
05-11-2005, 13:55
It is against NTL policy to drill thru PVC windows,doors,frames & soffets as well as cutting tree roots.All entry points should be,where possible, thru the wall around 6 inch from the top of the skirting (to allow clearance for the Isolator< Telco sockets to be fitted if wanted there>)
The hole should be drilled out from the inside at a slight downward angle & sealed with silicone sealer.No more that 1.5 meter of EXTERNAL drop cable should be inside the living area as ,in a fire,it gives off a toxic gas as the waterproofing gel melts.
Any cabling in the garden should be 8in below the surface & covered with green flexi duck. Over here, the drop from the cab to the house is pulled by the 2 man installer crew doing the install.
If you have telephone extensions in other point thru the home,make sure that the crew site the CTE-5 master socket next to the BT master & transfer t extensions to the NTL CTE-5.
Any cabling inside the home is to be securly clipped to the skirting & in the case of the Telco,stapled.Hope this helps give you a idea of how it should be done.Remember,it's your house & the old addage of 'cant see it from my gaff' is no excuse for s**** workmanship.
Spike

Paul K
05-11-2005, 14:03
It is against NTL policy to drill thru PVC windows,doors,frames & soffets as well as cutting tree roots.All entry points should be,where possible, thru the wall around 6 inch from the top of the skirting (to allow clearance for the Isolator< Telco sockets to be fitted if wanted there>)
The hole should be drilled out from the inside at a slight downward angle & sealed with silicone sealer.No more that 1.5 meter of EXTERNAL drop cable should be inside the living area as ,in a fire,it gives off a toxic gas as the waterproofing gel melts.
Any cabling in the garden should be 8in below the surface & covered with green flexi duck. Over here, the drop from the cab to the house is pulled by the 2 man installer crew doing the install.
If you have telephone extensions in other point thru the home,make sure that the crew site the CTE-5 master socket next to the BT master & transfer t extensions to the NTL CTE-5.
Any cabling inside the home is to be securly clipped to the skirting & in the case of the Telco,stapled.Hope this helps give you a idea of how it should be done.Remember,it's your house & the old addage of 'cant see it from my gaff' is no excuse for s**** workmanship.
Spike
Good post Spike, shame not all installers are quite as up to speed with what should and shouldn't be done during an installation. Our cable comes in via the green flexi duct...... shame it was just left sitting on the gravel and was never buried :(

spike7451
05-11-2005, 19:07
Good post Spike, shame not all installers are quite as up to speed with what should and shouldn't be done during an installation. Our cable comes in via the green flexi duct...... shame it was just left sitting on the gravel and was never buried :(
Cheers Paul,:tu:
Now that I work for Sky,I will be putting the same amount of 'quality' that I did at NTL.I men,how much more time does it take to put in 6 cable clips instead of 2? Simple things like putting old newspaper down below the drill hole to catch the dust.(less mess to clean up + quality install = happy punter!)
Unfortunatly,as a lot of the jobs are paid by the job,if a crew can cram in a extra job or two a day,well,it's a bigger pay packet for them!!
Spike

Paul K
05-11-2005, 19:56
That's the main cause of the problem suffered by new NTL customers at the moment I would think. If installers were only paid if an installation was checked and passed off by an inspector in conjunction with the customer a lot of problems would not occur.
It's a shame that some installers don't take the same level of pride in their work as you obviously do Spike. Hope the new job keeps you smilling a bit more than your old one lol

spike7451
06-11-2005, 11:30
That's the main cause of the problem suffered by new NTL customers at the moment I would think. If installers were only paid if an installation was checked and passed off by an inspector in conjunction with the customer a lot of problems would not occur.
It's a shame that some installers don't take the same level of pride in their work as you obviously do Spike. Hope the new job keeps you smilling a bit more than your old one lol
Paul,Back in the days when I started with NTL as a installer,we had 3 Q.C inspectors that checked the jobs & if something was'nt right,then you went back & fixed it..ON YOUR OWN TIME!! The was even 2 girls in the office who handled complaints & liased with the Q.C's ,the Install Managers & the complainant.
Eventually,NTL saw that these vital people were no longer needed & therefore were paid off.Needless to say,quality went south.Now dont get me wrong,98% of the installers we have over here in N.I are very good & do a quality job,their line managers are all ex installers & one of them,Wee Alec, has been with NTL's contractors since the start when it was CableTel,some 10 years!! But,unfortunatly,as in most outfits there are a few bad eggs who let the side down & end up giving the company negative image.
Personally,I think it's about time senior management got off their collective arses & took note of customer views on sites like this & fixed things,instead of becoming like a Ostrich & sticking their heads up the **** of the shareholders!
The company I now work for are far more professional (I did a 'fall & arrest' ladder course last week & was then issued with £1000 worth of harness's & other stuff for working at heights!Something NTL would never do!!!)
Spike
Spike

arcamalpha2004
06-11-2005, 11:49
" The company I now work for are far more professional (I did a 'fall & arrest' ladder course last week & was then issued with £1000 worth of harness's & other stuff for working at heights!Something NTL would never do!!!)"

Can imagine the NTL approach, " Get up that ladder you little fairy " :D ;)

spike7451
06-11-2005, 13:05
" The company I now work for are far more professional (I did a 'fall & arrest' ladder course last week & was then issued with £1000 worth of harness's & other stuff for working at heights!Something NTL would never do!!!)"

Can imagine the NTL approach, " Get up that ladder you little fairy " :D ;)

Until someone falls off & injures or kills themself!Then NTL'll do the usual....
Pass the buck!!!!!(:Yikes: = nothing new there!!)

bigAL99
16-11-2005, 20:26
just an update they turned up last week to fit but no broadband was on the order so they were turned away more phone calls followed but all customer services would do is e-mail the sales agent but she was just ignoring them.

eventually a customer services agent changed the order and has promised broadband is now added so we'l see what happens friday when they are supposed to be coming to fit it again

and1
24-11-2005, 00:36
Hey, big al99, iv'e had very similar experience probably worse tho, as i got distinct impression that not just the installers were incompetant to the extent to lying but the customer service got worse the more i kept ringing to get some answers. I was once left on hold, after speaking to 3 people, for 50 mins then cut off, i immediately called back, was put on hold for another 2 mins. then cut off again! then i realised that c.s hours closed as i could only get recorded message after.Anyway that was a Friday in Jan 05 when the broadband installation guy didn't turn up, took almost 3 months from start to finish, ntl said sorry and blamed contract installers. I've recently moved across the street and wanted reconnecting. to cut a long story short i had to cancel installation after 3 weeks due to hospital. The first day i was to be at home between 12 and 6pm. I got home at 11.45 to find that some digging and filling had been done on path outside gate, so i called ntl to find out if i would be connected thet day or not, they said that installer would return that afternoon to finish work, nop it didn't happen, nobody returned.
I am now attempting to get the work finished and get connected again. They put a cable under and about 3 foot of cable is outside front door with bare wires at end.On Mon.21st sales arranged for installer to come in morning Wed23rd between 9 & 12. On Tues.22nd i got text from ntl? as before; that installer would come between 12 & 6pm, ok i took day off. At 4.50 i rang customer service for any info on installer, she couldn't help me as they " could arrive right up to 6pm" HA HA SOME PEOPLE JUST THINK CUSTOMERS ARE THICK. She told me to call back at 5.45. I called at 5.40 and was put on hold 3 times and at 5.50 i was told by dispatch that engineer called at address half an hour ago, I couldn't believe my ears, i was sat by front door for last hour my dog was also their and she barks before anyone even reaches front door. Dispatch said installer had been allowed to go home but apoligised and gave me complaints address in Manchester. Many customers in this area have been lost due to this pathetic service, its so upsetting.

Nedkelly
24-11-2005, 10:26
:( There seems to be a lot of problems with the installation of services in customers homes.As spike has said ntl got rid of the q.c department now they know that it is very rare there work will be checked:mad: .Some customers now ask the installer for his name and tech no and if he can not do the job they have asked to speak to his supervisor and asked for him to vist them.This is a bit drastic but i have seen this done may times .If only the mangers use this website to see that ntl are not getting it rght .Ntl have scheme running called the big 5 all about custmer care and some people just do not care :mad:

spike7451
30-11-2005, 20:34
:( There seems to be a lot of problems with the installation of services in customers homes.As spike has said ntl got rid of the q.c department now they know that it is very rare there work will be checked:mad: .Some customers now ask the installer for his name and tech no and if he can not do the job they have asked to speak to his supervisor and asked for him to vist them.This is a bit drastic but i have seen this done may times .If only the mangers use this website to see that ntl are not getting it rght .Ntl have scheme running called the big 5 all about custmer care and some people just do not care :mad:

The 'BIG 5'! That was rolled out before I left & we all said the same "how many times have we heard the same ol' b***** about customer care just so the management can feel good about themselves". How many times have we all feen to 'discussion forums',learning the 'buzz words' & in the end it all amounted to the same thing.Nothing!!
NTL's management need to concentrate on giving the punter better service,not rolling out more c*** that does'nt make a differnce to anybody except the prats inthe ivory towers.
Spike

Nedkelly
30-11-2005, 22:52
:) We all said the same what a load of **** Every year those people who get paid a lot of money come up with these things.And we all say the same things it is about time they get of there **** and come down to front line .Go out and visit customers not the ones where we got it right but the one where we did not:D .Then the would see the problems first hand and use this site to see what is going on.But as we all know that will never happen:mad: