PDA

View Full Version : male and female what?

Russ
28-10-2003, 12:46
Very very rarely does Danny Baker ever say anything that vaguely interests me but I've just seen him on TV asking a good question:

The female of this animal is called a cow and the male is a bull, so what is the actual animal called??

swoop101
28-10-2003, 12:50
The female of this animal is called a cow and the male is a bull, so what is the actual animal called??

Bovine is'nt it :idea:

Ramrod
28-10-2003, 12:53
I think it's a cow...isn't it?

Nemesis
28-10-2003, 12:55
I think it's a cow...isn't it?
As long as this isn't a trick question, then yes ... a cow. :confused:

MetaWraith
28-10-2003, 13:05
i think it could also be a sealion

Russ
28-10-2003, 14:00
As long as this isn't a trick question, then yes ... a cow. :confused:

I don't think so, because cow relates to the female of the species.

But then again, a male dog is a dog and the female is a bitch, so you might be right.

Ramrod
28-10-2003, 14:02
But then again, a male dog is a dog and the female is a bitch, so you might be right.Damn right were right!:D

Nemesis
28-10-2003, 14:04
Damn right were right!:D
Try this ... http://www2.biology.ualberta.ca/uamz.hp/MamName.html

... and I wouldn't advise anyone to try "male Cow" as a search on Google. :eek:

Russ
28-10-2003, 14:07
... and I wouldn't advise anyone to try "male Cow" as a search on Google. :eek:

Flippin' 'eck!!! Yer not kidding!! :eek:

Nemesis
28-10-2003, 14:10
Well I did advise you not to do it :D

Paul K
28-10-2003, 14:16
Well thats a google that I won't be doing again
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks Nem:p

Nemesis
28-10-2003, 14:29
Well thats a google that I won't be doing again
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks Nem:pNow even I didn't follow the links google gave ... :p

kink
28-10-2003, 15:02
I thought this was a trick question as well.... but i can see why it was asked now.... most of the cows we see are female :eek: now don't all jump on that phrase and say Oh yes so true!! :p you KNOW i mean the animal and not women :D

So it would be easy to associate the term with only the female bovine... but it would appear that we use the word cow as the generic word.

Some useless info for you..... :p

Cattle Terminology - a couple of american english terms included

bovine - term referring to cattle, bison, buffalo, and yak, wild or domesticated
cow - any mature female bovine (cattle, bison, buffalo, yak)
heifer - a female that has not given birth
dam - the mama cow
sire - the papa bull
steer - a castrated male bovine
doggie - an orphaned calf
bull - an intact mature male bovine
calf - (plural: calves) a young, pre-puberty bovine of either sex
cattle - (plural) bovine animals, especially domesticated members of the genus Bos; English does not have a singular, non-gender-specific form of this word
ox - (plural: oxen) 1. any member of the bovine family; 2. a castrated adult male of the genuus Bos used as a draft animal

Anyone asking why i know so much about cows :erm: will be asked to explain why the utterances of nonsensical/dubious nature are referred to as bull .... nothing to do with the male of the species i'm sure :p ;)

handyman
28-10-2003, 15:19
Very very rarely does Danny Baker ever say anything that vaguely interests me but I've just seen him on TV asking a good question:

Is that a whale?

kink
28-10-2003, 15:28
Is that a whale?
lol spot on :)
Now i know why this was posted in the entertainment section..... must get more sleep and stay off threads i haven't read properly :erm:

Handy.... well done for reading the question.... in the way it was meant to be asked and a couple of other people too who were obviously more awake than me today :cry: :D

Ramrod
28-10-2003, 16:41
Oh bullocks! bullocks!

:blush: :D

Xaccers
28-10-2003, 17:39
You're all talking a load of steaming bovine excrement :D

kink
28-10-2003, 17:58
[Snippity snipped]...........

Anyone asking why i know so much about cows :erm: will be asked to explain why the utterances of nonsensical/dubious nature are referred to as bull .... nothing to do with the male of the species i'm sure :p ;)

Oh bullocks! bullocks!

:blush: :D

You're all talking a load of steaming bovine excrement :D
And you both had to prove my theory was right..... thank you :D

Ramrod
28-10-2003, 18:43
And you both had to prove my theory was right..... thank you :DNo, NO, I was just talking about the male of the bovine speces.:angel:

Theodoric
28-10-2003, 21:01
No, NO, I was just talking about the male of the bovine speces.:angel:
You've got to be careful with your teminology. There was a case not so long ago concerning work on BSE. It was supposed to be on sheep's brains but it turned out that cattle brains had been used. Why? Because the container lost a 'b' and turned 'bovine' into 'ovine'. This is true.

zoombini
29-10-2003, 12:32
your all wrong... the pwoper term is "Moo Moo's".

Ask any 5 year old... they know.

Xaccers
29-10-2003, 13:25
You've got to be careful with your teminology. There was a case not so long ago concerning work on BSE. It was supposed to be on sheep's brains but it turned out that cattle brains had been used. Why? Because the container lost a 'b' and turned 'bovine' into 'ovine'. This is true.

If bovine are cows, and ovine are sheep, do you know what pigs are? :)

PS Answers like "those pink things with curly tails" are not acceptable!

kink
29-10-2003, 14:48
If bovine are cows, and ovine are sheep, do you know what pigs are? :)

PS Answers like "those pink things with curly tails" are not acceptable!
Aren't they swine? Which is fitting because lots of the time when i use the phrase 'you're a swine!' the use of the word pig would be just as fitting :D ;)

MetaWraith
29-10-2003, 14:52
porcine

kink
29-10-2003, 14:59
porcine
Agreed :)

gary_580
29-10-2003, 15:59
porcine

is thst where the name Porc (Pork) comes from?

ok what about beef?

Xaccers
29-10-2003, 16:18
is thst where the name Porc (Pork) comes from?

ok what about beef?

Yes, from the latin.

Hmm, gonna have to google beef ;)

The word "cattle" comes from the Old French word "chattle" which means possession

The word "steak" comes from the Saxon word "steik", which meant meat on a stick

That beef comes from cows is known to most, but the close relationship between the words beef and cow is hardly household knowledge. Cow comes via Middle English from Old English cu, which is descended from the Indo-European root *gwouÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“, also meaning †œcow.⠃¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ This root has descendants in most of the branches of the Indo-European language family. Among those descendants is the Latin word bs, †œcow,⠃¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ whose stem form, bov-, eventually became the Old French word buef, also meaning †œcow.⠃¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ The French nobles who ruled England after the Norman Conquest of course used French words to refer to the meats they were served, so the animal called cu by the Anglo-Saxon peasants was called buef by the French nobles when it was brought to them cooked at dinner. Thus arose the distinction between the words for animals and their meat that is also found in the English word-pairs swine/pork, sheep/mutton, and deer/venison. What is interesting about cow/beef is that we are in fact dealing with one and the same word, etymologically speaking

Oh and one for Jerrek, Canada comes from Huron Kanata meaning village :) (but he prolly knew that anyway)

Chris
29-10-2003, 17:30
Lawks!

So what on earth do these sick people think a 'male cow' is? 'Cos I ain't about to try any of those links to find out ...

Xaccers
29-10-2003, 17:39
Lawks!

So what on earth do these sick people think a 'male cow' is? 'Cos I ain't about to try any of those links to find out ...

Think of the act of milking a cow...

Chris
29-10-2003, 17:40
aaaahhh.

Thanks. I feel educated. I think.... :eek:

Theodoric
30-10-2003, 20:46
Go on, pull the udder one!