PDA

View Full Version : NTL phone line dead, Leicester area.

MysticKiller
28-10-2005, 15:45
Hi everyone, picked up my phone today at about 3PM and noticed it was dead, if i call it from my mobile, it rings on the mobile phone but none of the actual house phones ring. I tried calling from thge line, but nothing. When i just life the phone there is also no noise, can anyone help plz? Cheers

MovedGoalPosts
28-10-2005, 15:55
Have you called faults - I know there is a cost if using a mobile, but it is the best way to raise the issue with ntl.

MysticKiller
28-10-2005, 17:17
Just called, engineer coming on Wednesday, thanks for suggesting it.

MovedGoalPosts
28-10-2005, 17:26
Just a thought, if you have extensions in the house, and two or more landline phones, unplug one, see if the other will work and vice versa. Just rules out that one of them is causing the fault as if it is your own phone, and an engineer comes, you could get charged for it.

MysticKiller
28-10-2005, 22:52
I dont have any extensions running but i do have 2 phones running off one socket and a direct line upstairs, i tried what you said but didnt work :( thx for letting me know :tu:

spike7451
29-10-2005, 16:33
Hi everyone, picked up my phone today at about 3PM and noticed it was dead, if i call it from my mobile, it rings on the mobile phone but none of the actual house phones ring. I tried calling from thge line, but nothing. When i just life the phone there is also no noise, can anyone help plz? Cheers

When you tried dialing the 'dead' line from a mobile,it's not actually the house phone that is ringing.In a nutshell,when you lift the reciever,a electric 'pulse' is sent to the switch you are connected to & it responds by sending you the dial tone. You dial the number & the switch routes the call to the switch near the destination.The switch then routes the call to the correct phone line & another electric pulse is sent to tell the phone on the other end to ring.If the line is free,the switch replies by giving you a ringing noise or a engaged tone if it's busy.You are not actually connected directly to the other end.So ringing the dead number wont tell you anything more than it's dead.
It's either a line card fault in the mux, a outage a the mux or you've been disconnected at the street cab by a installer doing a job elsewhere by accident (a common problem as the line is often not checked by the tech<if i had a penny for......:dozey: )
Either way,you need a tech out.
Spike

MysticKiller
29-10-2005, 20:08
Thanks for that, never realised how life would be with out the landline lol.

MysticKiller
03-11-2005, 13:12
Its fixed now, some stupid kids must have messed about with the green box because the engineer said it was just a wire that had been pulled out.