PDA

View Full Version : Installation main cable distance

bdav
15-10-2005, 18:35
I am about to order NTL BB for a friend, but the house is quite far from the main road (about 300-400m). Will NTL install over this distance? The house has bever had cable before.

Thanks in advance!

Bdav

quadplay
15-10-2005, 18:59
It's not necessarily how far the house is from the main road, but more how much cable would need to be run from the nearest cabinet (which may or may not be on the main road). Best bet is to try ordering by phone, and they can tell you if the house is listed as servicable. If it is, it'll be up to the installers on the day whether they feel the cabinet is close enough to the house to get a reliable signal - if they feel it might not be, the work will be referred to Construction/Design & Civils who will investigate.

spike7451
23-10-2005, 19:41
I am about to order NTL BB for a friend, but the house is quite far from the main road (about 300-400m). Will NTL install over this distance? The house has bever had cable before.

Thanks in advance!

Bdav

Sorry,but i doubt it.The longest run i ever done was about 175m with a RG11 Drop cable (Biggest NTL have) & even then the services were poor due to the signal loss over distance.
The is also the matter of getting the cable from the street cab to the house.NTL installers only have hand tools,Kango's & Stihl saws & they might be inadiquite for the task.NTL might also refuse due to the cost of the install offsetting the revinue recovered after the install.
Basically,it all depends on the distance from the nearest cab to the house & the cost of the install.
Sorry,but as a ex-ntl install tech,thats my take on it.
Spike

monkey2468
23-10-2005, 20:32
Sorry,but i doubt it.The longest run i ever done was about 175m with a RG11 Drop cable (Biggest NTL have) & even then the services were poor due to the signal loss over distance.
The is also the matter of getting the cable from the street cab to the house.NTL installers only have hand tools,Kango's & Stihl saws & they might be inadiquite for the task.NTL might also refuse due to the cost of the install offsetting the revinue recovered after the install.
Basically,it all depends on the distance from the nearest cab to the house & the cost of the install.
Sorry,but as a ex-ntl install tech,thats my take on it.
Spike

Can they not have a HDU fitted if they are very far from the DP.

SmileyMan
23-10-2005, 20:44
Can they not have a HDU fitted if they are very far from the DP.

No

A HDU is a distribution unit not an AMP, Think of it in lamens terms as a no loss splitter

And HDU will send the incomming signal with no loss to 4 other catv points (A 4 way splitter losses 7db) but the signal must be right at the drop in the first place

monkey2468
23-10-2005, 20:47
No

A HDU is a distribution unit not an AMP, Think of it in lamens terms as a no loss splitter

And HDU will send the incomming signal with no loss to 4 other catv points (A 4 way splitter losses 7db) but the signal must be right at the drop in the first place
Ahh. fair enough, I thought that a powered HDU increased the signal strenth. (learn somthing new every day!)

sollp
23-10-2005, 20:56
No

Not many people know that either, who work for NTL.

bdav
23-10-2005, 22:17
Well - the eng. is comming tomorow - will report back with any info!