PDA

View Full Version : Moving from NTL to BT

Matthew
12-10-2005, 08:53
How do I go about it, I also want to keep the number that NTL gave me on my BT account if that is possible. She wants rid of every last NTL bit, set top box, modem and phone line.

What do we do first?

Florence
12-10-2005, 09:43
Hi Matthew Just phone Customer services and ask for disconnections, strange though according to your services under your name you already have a BT line 2mb via Plusnet and a freeview box none are NTLs :confused: all others that fill in the services part fill in what they are using now not what they want to move to.. so are you on NTL or BT right now?

Neil
12-10-2005, 10:54
How do I go about it, I also want to keep the number that NTL gave me on my BT account if that is possible. She wants rid of every last NTL bit, set top box, modem and phone line.

What do we do first?

Click here (http://www.bt.com/reconnect/index.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0132807631.1129110737@@ @@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddfmdmiijkcflgcefkdffndflh.0&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1114&obsPage=/lines/index.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=83036[/url). :)

abailey152
12-10-2005, 10:58
You will need to give 30 days notice to get rid of the TV. Not sure about Broadband, as I decided to keep mine, but I guess you just include this in the 30 days notice.

As for the phone line, DO NOT cancel with NTL as I've read somewhere that you may not be able to keep your number if you cancel with NTL first then apply with BT afterwards. Give BT a call (their number is on the BT website), and order from them, stating that you want to move from NTL and keep your existing number. BT will tell you if you can keep your number there and then over the phone. If you agree with the changeover date they give you, BT will then sort out the cancellation of your NTL phone services and migration of your number on that agreed date.

Also, in my case, NTL phoned me a week later asking why I'd arranged cancellation. Being able to tell them was very therapeutic! :D

Gareth
12-10-2005, 15:09
Yes, abailey is correct. When I dropped TV & phone I called BT first and they told me to not cancel my contract with NTL myself as they would do it all for me including me keeping my original phone number - which they did.

In my case, there was a slight delay involved in the final switch over because the NTL engineers had originally tried to be helpful and had modified the BT junction box that was already present in my house for use with NTL's phone line. BT then had to send an engineer round to repair that, but as I wasn't being charged for this, I had to wait a couple of weeks until they had an appointment - if I had paid myself to fix this, they would have sent someone within a couple of days.

Not sure if you're joining Sky, but I phoned them on a Tuesday evening and everything was up and running by the Saturday morning, including a new dish installed, cables set-up, etc... They could have done it sooner, but I chose to wait till the weekend. Cracking service!

jtwn
12-10-2005, 16:01
Hi Matthew Just phone Customer services and ask for disconnections, strange though according to your services under your name you already have a BT line 2mb via Plusnet and a freeview box none are NTLs :confused: all others that fill in the services part fill in what they are using now not what they want to move to.. so are you on NTL or BT right now?

Sorry if I am speaking out of turn, but it used to say Keelby and as far as I am aware, 90% sure the cabled area in Grimsby doesn't go out that far.

Florence
12-10-2005, 17:44
Sorry if I am speaking out of turn, but it used to say Keelby and as far as I am aware, 90% sure the cabled area in Grimsby doesn't go out that far.
Suppose it syour choice to make it harder to get help to fill those details in wrong. I will wait to see what Matthew says.

Matthew
12-10-2005, 19:07
Sorry it isnt me, its my Gran in Grimsby. She wants rid of NTL.

jtwn your right Keelby never has had NTL and never will do which is good.

Thanks to all above, I will try and get something done about TV and Internet, leave phone till last.