PDA

View Full Version : Slow if not Stopped Newsgroups

MartinW
23-10-2003, 20:49
Hi I subscribe to a Newsprovider in the states.Come 4pm everthing slows down bigtime (from 120 Ks to abot 4-10) This also happens for my friend who uses another provider, and also if you use NTLs newsgroups.Been like this for a few days now...any idea whats happening

TIA

M

homealone
23-10-2003, 22:29
Hi I subscribe to a Newsprovider in the states.Come 4pm everthing slows down bigtime (from 120 Ks to abot 4-10) This also happens for my friend who uses another provider, and also if you use NTLs newsgroups.Been like this for a few days now...any idea whats happening

TIA

M

depends - NTL's newsgroups, are generally very unreliable - however, when they do work, they are very good?

try

text.news.ntlworld.com

if you are subscribing to a US provider of an http link to a news server the speed issue could be due to loads of things - including their end?

Jarrak
24-10-2003, 17:13

TIA

M

I am getting the exact same problems, although today the connection didn't collapse until around 5pm.
My connections to both Giganews & Claranews (both run at 120k easily) drop to speeds that I would have been impressed with when I was on a 33.6 dial up but not when I am paying for 1mbit.
Website browsing and http/ftp downloads are fine and nothing is reported on the server status page or phone line.
This has only started happening in the last four days (Or at least that's when I noticed the problem).
You are in Notts, not far from there so I wonder if we are on the same UBR?
I am not sure which I am on, perhaps Stapleford but about 6 months ago I was moved to another so not sure now, is there an easy way to find out?

Jarrak
24-10-2003, 17:38
Found it:)

I am on the second Stapleford UBR.
It will be interesting if you are on the same UBR.

birchyboy
30-10-2003, 19:14
homealone is right.

depends - NTL's newsgroups, are generally very unreliable - however, when they do work, they are very good?

If you look at this topic on the "Other Site", there is an enormous volume of complaints about ntl newsgroups.

They have been useless for a long time and generally seem to "exceed the number of connections per feed" at the drop of a hat. If I ever have a hat, I won't drop it near an ntl newsgroup.

lincsat
13-11-2003, 01:13
I've noticed the same problem on several Premium News-servers. A Mate in the same area who has the same problem phoned tech support, they reported "it's nothing to do with NTL, it's your premium server to blame" He went on to say the the NTL servers were also slow, TS replied "sorry, we don't support our news servers, it's a Free add on to your Internet connection" - So, everyone's fault except NTL then!

Pointman
13-11-2003, 02:18
I've noticed the same problem on several Premium News-servers. A Mate in the same area who has the same problem phoned tech support, they reported "it's nothing to do with NTL, it's your premium server to blame" He went on to say the the NTL servers were also slow, TS replied "sorry, we don't support our news servers, it's a Free add on to your Internet connection" - So, everyone's fault except NTL then!

There is a posting already on this forum and on NTHWorld.com that there is an impending Trial of ntl Newsgroups. We're looking for expereincedusers to try our new newsgroup service before launch.....if you are interested click http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/newsgroup_trials/

Pointman
28-11-2003, 00:39
Hi all.

To those of you who expressed an interest, you should be getting an e-mail (probably this morning) from us advising of the kick off date and duration of the Trial.

About 900 people trying out the new Newsgroups service.

Ouch
28-11-2003, 00:58
Yeah my connection to my premium newsgroup server (astraweb) which usually runs at a steady 550kbps is very erratic dropping down to about 50kbps or even 0kbps for short periods. Only started happening today.

Hope its sorted out soon. I pay for a premium service because ntl newsgroups are a waste of time.

Andy

P.S. I signed up for the newsgroup trial earlier this week

lincsat
07-12-2003, 01:25
Hi all.

To those of you who expressed an interest, you should be getting an e-mail (probably this morning) from us advising of the kick off date and duration of the Trial.

About 900 people trying out the new Newsgroups service.

Any news on when this will start. I had the confirmation e-mail over a week ago, but nothing since.

DrAwesome
07-12-2003, 01:31
Any news on when this will start. I had the confirmation e-mail over a week ago, but nothing since.

Read Post #8 (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?p=91563#post91563)

bumpy
08-12-2003, 15:12
Read Post #8 (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?p=91563#post91563)

It would seem some of the volunteers who signed up for the Trial did not receive my mail dated the 30th November, so I have pasted below. If you did not receive this mail, please mail Trials@ntl.com so we can confirm we have your correct email address as a further mail will be sent on the 12th December.

Hello All,

It would seem that some of you did not receive my email last Friday, so here it is again.

Firstly may I thank you all for agreeing to participate in the Newsgroups Trial. I can now confirm the Trial will run from 12th December 2003 until the 22nd December 2003.

I must inform you all, with this being a Beta Trial, there will be none of the usual support services you would expect to have as a customer. A document will be sent out with the Trials Questionnaire detailing what you need to do if you incur a fault during the trial, however the key point to remember is Trials@ntl.com will be your only line of support. The Customer Service/Fault Centres have no knowledge of how to resolve any issues with this enhanced service.

I will be in contact again the day before the trial begins to issue all the necessary document and url's you require for trial. If anybody feels they do not wish to now continue as part of this Trial, please advise by return.

DrAwesome
08-12-2003, 22:21
Friday what an un-usual day to start a trial, i guess your mailbox will be overflowing when you get to work on the following Monday :)

asdf
08-12-2003, 22:34
They only start things on Fridays at ntl, remember :D

If anyone has problems I'd really recommend using text.news.ntlworld.com as it's up pretty much 100%.

homealone
08-12-2003, 22:48
They only start things on Fridays at ntl, remember :D

If anyone has problems I'd really recommend using text.news.ntlworld.com as it's up pretty much 100%.

good call - my experience too, 'alt' groups like alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati work on that server, but do not in the news*.cable.ntlworld.com domain, well not all the time, anyway;)

MetaWraith
08-12-2003, 23:01
I havent used NTL's newsgroups in so long I almost forgot they existed. Plenty of free usenet servers out there :)

Jonboy
08-12-2003, 23:30
ntl news servers have always been crap, surely everyone knows this ? and it will get worse not better untill they stop overcrowding the network's and expand it, spend some of the money we pay in rental and give us the good service we pay for and dont get

homealone
08-12-2003, 23:39
I havent used NTL's newsgroups in so long I almost forgot they existed. Plenty of free usenet servers out there :)

hiya

- ahbs the text server seems to work - so no need for most of the free servers - until you say binary, the astraweb free service recently discontinued, teranews still wants a credit card signup - if you have anything to add then post or pm?

Gaz

Shaun
08-12-2003, 23:40
All I can suggest is cheat. I signed up for a Virgin PAYG dial up account (for the e-mail as Bulldog don't supply one as standard and you need an ISP one for this site!) and I can access their newsgroup servers and d/l from them with no problem. I think thats the only way you guys are going to get a decent news service ;)

homealone
09-12-2003, 00:10
All I can suggest is cheat. I signed up for a Virgin PAYG dial up account (for the e-mail as Bulldog don't supply one as standard and you need an ISP one for this site!) and I can access their newsgroup servers and d/l from them with no problem. I think thats the only way you guys are going to get a decent news service ;)

depends what you call 'decent' - or even 'in your face' - virgin is filtered - but just 'cos you can d/l it, doesn't mean you 'have to' ?

Shaun
09-12-2003, 00:21
depends what you call 'decent' - or even 'in your face' - virgin is filtered - but just 'cos you can d/l it, doesn't mean you 'have to' ?

When I say d/l I mean the messages, I'm not a binary user, I wouldn't know where to start! But the text ones seem very reliable, I don't have to worry if I want to read the newsgroups at 7.00pm like I did when I used to use them on Ntl!.

To be fair I only signed up with them the other day but they have been up and available with no problems every time I've tried them, which is more than I can say for Ntls!

asdf
09-12-2003, 11:12
You don't need an ISP email address for this site. Mine isn't anyways.

Shaun
09-12-2003, 12:54
You don't need an ISP email address for this site. Mine isn't anyways.

When I signed up for this and .com I tried to use my yahoo POP account (my main and most reliable account) but I was informed by the registration page on both sites that that account was not acceptable and I needed a non-free account (i.e. ISP) to register. I then went and created an addy with Ntl-world (my ISP, well until Thursday) and it worked fine.

I'm moving to Bulldog this week, and they don't offer free e-mail addys you have to buy them in a pack with web-space and stuff, so I thought that I'd sign up with Virgin for a PAYG account for the e-mail addy and get a back up dial-up account into the bargain.

As a bonus their News group servers were accessible over my Ntl BB account so I can now get access to some of the newsgroups I used to read without having to use Google.

All in all, well done Dicky ;)

asdf
09-12-2003, 16:26
*shrugs* I just used my personal domain. I don't have a ISP account, well not one I check anyways.