PDA

View Full Version : Clocks go back ...

Nemesis
23-10-2003, 08:39
The clocks go back 1hr in the early hours of Sunday Morning, this weekend.

Why do we do this ?????

Why not just shift by 1/2 hour and leave it like that all year long. :mad:

basa
23-10-2003, 09:07
The clocks go back 1hr in the early hours of Sunday Morning, this weekend.

Why do we do this ?????

Why not just shift by 1/2 hour and leave it like that all year long. :mad:

It is primarily an energy saving exercise. In summer, with GMT, it would still be light at midnight in southern areas ! Similarly, during the winter, particularly in Scotland, children would be going to school in the dark everyday with consequent usage of power for lighting etc. and increased danger of accidents.

It was introduced in 1916 as a wartime measure. During 1968-72 Britain experimented with keeping BST all year round to be in line with Europe, but this meant Scottish children going to school all year in the dark, so reverted to the current situation i.e. BST (summer) / GMT (winter) to this day.

Approx. 80 countries worldwide implement Daylight Saving !!

gary_580
23-10-2003, 09:27
They also do this in the states. But not all states observe it which is wierd. Indiana dont observe daylight saving but all the states around it do. Now how confusing is that!!!

Marge
23-10-2003, 09:39
I'm just glad of the extra hour in bed :zzz:

Paul K
23-10-2003, 09:45
I just wish they would pre-programme equipment to do this so you don't have to spend all night looking for remotes, manuals and 7 year old kids to set the video ;)

darant
23-10-2003, 12:25
I just wish they would pre-programme equipment to do this so you don't have to spend all night looking for remotes, manuals and 7 year old kids to set the video ;)

I normally just leave all my things. Saves changing them 6 months later. :Peace:

trebor
23-10-2003, 12:39
I normally just leave all my things. Saves changing them 6 months later. :Peace:

Darant I currently have that ip address whats your problem?

basa
23-10-2003, 12:53

Bet your timekeeping is spot on ???? :rolleyes:

Stuart
23-10-2003, 12:54
Darant I currently have that ip address whats your problem?EH?
:confused:

Chris
23-10-2003, 12:57
My video clock used to do itself until we got ntl digital. Now there's no analogue aerial plugged in to my kit and the video clock can't receive the time signal.

Come to think of it, the video used to tune itself if it was switched off for any length of time, but it doesn't do that any more either. I don't need it to as we don't have an analogue signal, but it's a pain waiting 2 or 3 minutes for it to give up trying before I can manually re-set the clock.

aliferste
23-10-2003, 12:57

LOL

It says whosever ip addy it is looking at it :)

Paul K
23-10-2003, 12:58
Its a script in his sig, show the person looking what their IP is etc

Chris
23-10-2003, 13:00
Its a script in his sig, show the person looking what their IP is etc
Except that the IP addy it reports for me is never the same as the one acquired and displayed in my network settings. What's that all about?

It gets my OS and browser right tho'.

Paul K
23-10-2003, 13:02
Router? Might be a glitch in the script

Chris
23-10-2003, 13:20
Router? Might be a glitch in the script
No router on my rig, just an iMac connected by enet to an ntlhome 100 sacm.

homealone
23-10-2003, 13:25

not sure (can't check as am at work), but I think the script in the sig is showing the IP of your proxy server - that's why it can show the same for 2 people?

trebor
23-10-2003, 13:48
LOL... DOH! :dunce: :dunce:
there's gotta be something in the rules about that it can't be right.
I feel better now I know my pc aint doing something I don't know about

Nor
23-10-2003, 13:51
I remember a friend of my dad's phoned us up once asking how he would go about changing the time on teletext :)

Salu
23-10-2003, 16:27
From the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/500216.stm

In 1998, the government's Transport Research Laboratory said the practice of turning the clocks back had led to 3,000 deaths on Britain's roads in the last 30 years!
The Daylight Extra Now group says if the UK had British Summer Time all year around, the increased daylight in the evening would prevent up to 140 road deaths and 2,000 injuries a year.

The London Chamber of Commerce estimates million of pounds would be saved by bringing British time into line with western European nations.

This would mean the UK would stay one hour ahead of GMT in winter and two hours ahead in summer.

Farmers, who need to make the most of daylight, have lobbied against any change to the system, as have Scottish MPs who say the change would leave the Highlands in the dark until mid-morning in winter.

Earlier this year (1999) Lord Archer backed a bill which would have allowed Scotland, England and Wales to create their own time zones.

A brief History....

The idea of British Summer Time was dreamed up in 1906 by William Willett, a Surrey-born builder who believed it would be helpful to maximise and standardise daylight hours.

He believed people woke up quicker and in better spirits when it was light, and suffer relatively little as the nights drew in.

Mr Willett also argued it would save the country £2m a year in fuel costs.

His first idea, an advance of 80 minutes rather than an hour, brought forward in four moves of 20 minutes each, was met with ridicule and derision.

Many were determined to stick to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), which had been in existence for 25 years but had only just been adopted nationally.

Railways mounted some of the toughest opposition to daylight saving, arguing time changes and a deviation from GMT could lead to more accidents.

Mr Willett campaigned hard, and eventually the first Daylight Saving Bill was introduced in 1908. It was thrown out, as were two further attempts in 1909 and 1911.

It finally became law in 1916, as a wartime measure because of an acute coal shortage.

It then continued long after the war, and in 1925 it was made permanent by the British Summertime Act.

bob_builder
23-10-2003, 16:45
From the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/500216.stm

"In 1998, the government's Transport Research Laboratory said the practice of turning the clocks back had led to 3,000 deaths on Britain's roads in the last 30 years!"

"The Daylight Extra Now group says if the UK had British Summer Time all year around, the increased daylight in the evening would prevent up to 140 road deaths and 2,000 injuries a year."
I wonder how many extra road deaths there would be in the morning if the clocks stayed the same?

Atomic22
23-10-2003, 19:22
its about time we got rid of this archaic system and stayed on gmt permanently......as for farmers they get the same amount of daylight hours as the rest of us all they need to do is go outdoors when its light instead of getting up at 4 in the morning to worry sheep etc.....kids should all have a torch (i did).....and if the scots dont like their dark country they should move (not south)......ahem
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maggy
23-10-2003, 19:52
Become a teacher.You get half term to recover.

Incog. :)

Xaccers
23-10-2003, 20:04
Become a teacher.You get half term to recover.

Teachers I know don't get a rest at half term!
And certainly don't get 6 weeks holiday in the summer

Maggy
23-10-2003, 21:22
Teachers I know don't get a rest at half term!
And certainly don't get 6 weeks holiday in the summer

This teacher does.But then I am a supply teacher.
However the average teacher still will get a chance of a lie-in after the clocks change even with all the commitments they have.I always did when I was teaching full time.