PDA

View Full Version : Modem keeps re-booting

Page
23-10-2003, 00:32
So far since 6pm yesterday my cable modem has rebooted itself over a dozen times. I rang faults yesterday and they said that it was fine because it all came back on again. I'm on the 600k service. Only just upgraded from the 150k service. It has never rebooted itself before in all the time that I have had it and it is very annoying as it waits till near the end of a download then reboots and so I have to start again every time. Is it worth ringing faults again? Or should I ring technical non-support? I'm running windows 2000 professional and I am MS blaster etc patched. No new installs this week (apart from tonight but it was doing it before that). Ran a full virus scan and scandisked and defragged just incase it has been my PC but it isn't. Nothing running apart from email and internet explorer. Not moved the modem or the PC and all the wires have been checked hundreds of times and are secure. I'm using an ethernet connection as my USB ports are in use for other stuff. Any thoughts?

Paul K
23-10-2003, 00:37
Any "maintenance"(yeah right LOL) going on in your area Page?

Page
23-10-2003, 00:39
not as far as i know

Paul K
23-10-2003, 00:48
Nothing server related in your area in the status page?
"Or should I ring technical non-support" Classic LOL, yep phone em if nothing is working, have you tried power cycling the modem? 30 secs power off and then switch on, could also reboot PC.

Page
23-10-2003, 00:52
Checked the server status page and there is nothing there. Last time I rang technical non-support my PC had to be reformatted as they managed to remotely kill it off. Actually rebooting the modem and the PC has been done lots of times too.

handyman
23-10-2003, 03:02
This is very odd but I guess is ntl performing some work.

Last night my cm rebooted then 2 mins later a freinds stb modem rebooted. Also had reported that in belfast the prev night cm's rebooted. possibly a upg to the cm config files.

btw first time my modem been off in months and was only off for 3 mins so i not really that bothered.

Page
23-10-2003, 10:21
If it was just the once or twice I would not be worried but it has been quite a number of times. Got up this morning to find that the modem is off. Not just rebooting but actually off. I have rebooted it myself but do not know if it will stay on till tonight. I hope it does as I need to do some more downloads for my freind who is on dial up and so cannot afford the time to do it as they are big files.