PDA

View Full Version : Spray painting

Nidge
03-10-2005, 14:48
I'm thinking of spray painting an old car just to see how I get on with spraying, I've got a compressor and a spray gun and al lthe tools I just need to know how to fill the holes and mix the paint, is there anywhere on the web that will give me some info on how to spray paint?

marky
03-10-2005, 14:58
A quick google found this http://www.geocities.com/captkenn/paint.html;)

And this http://www.abac.co.uk/Spraying/ is much better full instructions :D

03-10-2005, 15:28
hi nidge..
I've been spraying on and off for about 15 years..and the painting is pretty much the easiest part of the job, as long as the area your gonna be painting in is clean... cleaner the better.the time you put in on the prepping pays off when you've got the finished car.
if your not gonna be painting in an oven... then i'd recomend a polisher/buffer like one of these http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060313180
i get my sponges off ebay... usually one red, one blue and one white. to get that high gloss finish I tend to use medium to light rubbing compound with plenty of water and the buffer running at 1500 or 2000 rpm
if you can get your hands on a viscosity cup then mixing the paint is pretty simple.

me283
03-10-2005, 16:14
There is a saying in the trade, that "if you can p*** you can paint!". Far from jealousy, it's actually quoted by painters themselves - probably to wind up fitters and panel beaters, as painters earn good money.

I would echo what 50420 says, preparation is key here. Also, the environment you are painting in. If it's not in an oven, then the less dust the better; apart from that, the best way to find out is to just go ahead and do it... then keep doing it until you are happy with the end result. You will learn a little more each time, and probably have fun doing so.

Of course, if you feel really ambitious and want to buy an oven, just give me a shout... ;)

Nidge
03-10-2005, 16:16
hi nidge..
I've been spraying on and off for about 15 years..and the painting is pretty much the easiest part of the job, as long as the area your gonna be painting in is clean... cleaner the better.the time you put in on the prepping pays off when you've got the finished car.
if your not gonna be painting in an oven... then i'd recomend a polisher/buffer like one of these http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060313180
i get my sponges off ebay... usually one red, one blue and one white. to get that high gloss finish I tend to use medium to light rubbing compound with plenty of water and the buffer running at 1500 or 2000 rpm
if you can get your hands on a viscosity cup then mixing the paint is pretty simple.

The car I'm going to paint is mealic blue where wil lthe paint code be for it? Will it be under the bonnet?

marky
03-10-2005, 16:29
Yes its on the vin plate simlar (depending on make of car) to the pic

Graham M
03-10-2005, 16:39
Marky, attatched piccy is tiiiiny

Dave Stones
03-10-2005, 16:41
please god mask everywhere off properly though...

marky
03-10-2005, 16:46
Marky, attatched piccy is tiiiiny hows this one

03-10-2005, 17:07
if its your first car to spray...sorry to say but metalic finishes can be the most difficult to match up with existing bodywork...particularly if your not painting in an oven. you might find that its easier...and ultimatley a better looking job to do a whole panel rather than a touch up job...thats if your not doing a full respray.
if cost is a factor... i've found that getting a colour matched aerosol, spraying this into a clean jar... an then applying the paint with an airbrush, finished off with the buffer/polisher, a good alternative to all the preping that goes into a full panel.

Nidge
03-10-2005, 19:58
Yes its on the vin plate simlar (depending on make of car) to the pic

It's a Toyota.

budwieser
03-10-2005, 22:25
It's a Toyota.

Please God it`s not Silver!:D

Don`t forget i work in a Bodyshop!:)

There is a saying in the trade, that "if you can p*** you can paint!". Far from jealousy, it's actually quoted by painters themselves - probably to wind up fitters and panel beaters, as painters earn good money.

I would echo what 50420 says, preparation is key here. Also, the environment you are painting in. If it's not in an oven, then the less dust the better; apart from that, the best way to find out is to just go ahead and do it... then keep doing it until you are happy with the end result. You will learn a little more each time, and probably have fun doing so.

Of course, if you feel really ambitious and want to buy an oven, just give me a shout... ;)

Since when can everyone paint with waterbase then?:erm:
Anyone can put a coat of paint on but how many people can get a good finish?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

marky
03-10-2005, 22:32
Just one thing nidge, if you think you missed a bit dont even think of giving it that little bit more, or it will be run heaven ;)

me283
04-10-2005, 00:13
Please God it`s not Silver!:D

Don`t forget i work in a Bodyshop!:)

Since when can everyone paint with waterbase then?:erm:
Anyone can put a coat of paint on but how many people can get a good finish?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's a saying used by painters about their own trade. I'm not a painter by trade, just been involved in that particular area.

The finish can be determined (IIRC) by many factors other than technique: quality of materials used, atmosphere, cleanliness, temperature, as well as preparation. I never said it was easy, and I never said it could be done by anyone, but practice does help.:)

Nidge
04-10-2005, 04:46
Thanks guys for all the advice, I'll practice on a bit of of old metal bofore I try the car.