PDA

View Full Version : Proxies and routers

Reddevil63
21-10-2003, 23:01
Can you use diff proxies with a Linksys BEFSR41 router and if so, how?

Using Windows ME and can't see anywhere in routers settings to change proxies. If I put a diff proxy into the Internet Connections proxy box I can't open the routers settings which tells me that the proxy bypasses the router and the router settings can't open because of this.

Reason is that the one I am stuck with is so so slow!

cjll3
21-10-2003, 23:17
Using a different proxy is a windos setting

Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings

:)

Reddevil63
22-10-2003, 00:14
Using a different proxy is a windos setting

Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings

:)

I know that.

cjll3
22-10-2003, 00:30
I know that.

Make sure bypass proxy server settings for local addresses is ticked ;)

Dooby
22-10-2003, 10:32
you dont set the proxy settings on the router as the router works at a lower level in the network layer model.

Using a proxy is just formatting the http request in a special way and sending it to a different address, so even behind a router the web browser ( or machine ) does it.

the basic difference in requestin a page, say 'www.wibble.com/foo.html' is..

no proxy:
1) browser : send a request to www.wibble.com for file /foo.html
2) www.wibble.com : responds with foo.html ( or 404 error if its not there ;) )

with proxy ( www.myproxy.com ):
1) browser : send a request to www.myproxy.com for file www.wibble.com/foo.html
2) www.myproxy.com : send a request to www.wibble.com for file /foo.html
3) www.wibble.com : responds ( to proxy ) with foo.html
4) www.myproxy.com : responds to browser with foo.html
* of course if the proxy caches then it may not send the request in step 2...

all this happens without the router either knowing or caring...

zovat
06-11-2003, 15:59
Make sure bypass proxy server settings for local addresses is ticked ;)

I can assure you this works - I have the BEFSR41, and it does not give a hoot what proxy is set up on the local machine :D

you can still access the Linksys by the local IP address as long as they bypass for local option is selected.... :)

Doctor E
19-11-2003, 19:24
I know that.

manc boy ... have you tried telnetting the router to see if you have different settings available by that route. My Netgear one is a whole lot more customisable if I telnet to it.

Nige.

Mal
19-11-2003, 19:55
I've got the same router & all I needed to do was what cjll3 said, in bypassing the proxy for local addresses

Dooby
19-11-2003, 22:09
The router couldnt care less what proxy settings you have, it works at a lower level in the OSI model:[http://www2.rad.com/networks/1994/osi/layers.htm routers = layer 3, proxies/HTTP = layer 4 (afair)]
the problem is that your browser translates ALL requests into ones that it sends via the proxy INCLUDING ones for 192.168.1.1 ( i.e. it asks the proxy for that web page ), you need to set it to ignore local addresses, or ignore 192.168.1.1 specifically if you like ( as has been said )