PDA

View Full Version : Ntl Voip

paul11974
27-09-2005, 21:58
will ntl launch there own version of skype or bt comunicator ?

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,20411-1795980,00.html

http://www.bt.com/btcommunicator/index.jsp

Florence
27-09-2005, 22:56
There are going to be a few VOIP companies springing up in the coming months alloffering their own version and special rates. I have been told by one company that it wouldn't matter if you are Cable or ADSL that it will work and you will be accepted just like Skype does.

SMHarman
27-09-2005, 23:04
Vonage is already offering plug and call VOIP for BB. Such products are more of a competitive threat for NTL or TeleWest as you do not need to rent a BT line (which of course you can then use to make calls) to get your BB connection, thus if you are on NTL cable and don't take the TV you can get a Vonage box, plug it in and there is your phone, you could even plug your sky box into it, probably a very cost effective approach.

IMHO NTL and Telewest do not need to offer VOIP at the moment as they have high quality copper pairs to the home.

etccarmageddon
27-09-2005, 23:28
Dixons is launching their VOIP solution - similar to vonage but £7 a month and lower signup costs. Full details to follow by end of this week.

Roy MM
28-09-2005, 02:33
:erm: gmail talk works quite well, free.

etccarmageddon
28-09-2005, 08:04
:erm: gmail talk works quite well, free.that's not the market dixons and vonage are aiming at - they're after the mass market that want to plug their normal phone into it. this is the bt line rental killer.

Florence
28-09-2005, 08:11
that's not the market dixons and vonage are aiming at - they're after the mass market that want to plug their normal phone into it. this is the bt line rental killer.

Will do the same for NTL line rental with BT those on ADSL will still need the BT line or they will not have internet access

etccarmageddon
28-09-2005, 12:29
it's an instant line killer for those NTL customers who have a BT line but some NTL customers have their phone line from NTL due to the TV package forcing them.

...with BT those on ADSL will still need the BT line or they will not have internet access

for ADSL it will be a BT line eleminator when naked DSL comes - which ofcom will eventually have to force BT to provide.

MovedGoalPosts
28-09-2005, 12:36
For many homeusers, VOIP viability, will depend on both reliability (I suspect many will argue broadband is less reliable than standard telephone), cost in use savings allowing for cost of setup. For me, as I make few landline calls from home, and very few are of long duration, or distance (£3.00 per month phone use bill is quite high), It would take a long while to recoup the costs, given ntl bundle a fixed phone for "free" with the TV service.

There will also be an apathy factor. Many could save money by switching energy suppliers, etc, but they don't so why will everyone drop standard phone like a hot potato? There will also be issues of customers understanding how it works.

Having said that any telecoms supplier that is not preparing for the advent of VOIP will be foolish. Its coming soon ;)

SMHarman
28-09-2005, 13:29
For many homeusers, VOIP viability, will depend on both reliability (I suspect many will argue broadband is less reliable than standard telephone), cost in use savings allowing for cost of setup. For me, as I make few landline calls from home, and very few are of long duration, or distance (£3.00 per month phone use bill is quite high), It would take a long while to recoup the costs, given ntl bundle a fixed phone for "free" with the TV service.It also means 999 calls will not work during a power failiure (unless your CM and VOIP router and the network providers equipment are on UPS - unlikely) So most need a mobile phone as a backup 999 equipment.
VOIP is going to be less reliable unless the packets are QoS from end to end of the internet, and as you point out NTL bundle the phone line, and a BT line is required for ADSL.There will also be an apathy factor. Many could save money by switching energy suppliers, etc, but they don't so why will everyone drop standard phone like a hot potato? There will also be issues of customers understanding how it works.Not really, this was one of the biggest suprises to me. If you have an NTL CM, you just plug the blue linksys box into it and into your PC and your phone into it and off you go. No setup or thought required.
Many are using USB still though (and have USB modems) this will hamper takeup as it is a further cost.
For us there is also the benefit of having a virtual US phone number, not a marketing benefit that will appeal to / be required by all. This means relatives can call us for the cost of a local call (free).QUOTE=Rob C]Having said that any telecoms supplier that is not preparing for the advent of VOIP will be foolish. Its coming soon ;)[/QUOTE]I believe BT is planning to migrate its entire network to VoIP infrastructure, call quality on such a migration is not likely to suffer as they are transferring the packets over a private network, shows how developed VoIP is becoming.

paul11974
28-09-2005, 19:25
some good points raised

AndyCambs
29-09-2005, 05:18
Don't forget as well as the monthly subscription price with DSG (Dixons) you also have to pay the Broadband connection fee as well. I'm guessing that for most that means they already have a phone line - either BT or NTL/Telewest.

etccarmageddon
29-09-2005, 07:55
Don't forget as well as the monthly subscription price with DSG (Dixons) you also have to pay the Broadband connection fee as well. I'm guessing that for most that means they already have a phone line - either BT or NTL/Telewest.the market they're aiming at is those who have cable modem and either dont have a phone line or are able to ditch it. in addition to that they're aiming at those who have a phone line and use it loads.

the dixons voip is now listed online as £20 to purchase plus £80 for a year's worth of calls.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1318918457.112797689 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiaddfkkmhidjcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&sku=559198&category_oid=&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

it looks like vonage will need to drop their prices!

etccarmageddon
29-09-2005, 11:18
here's a very useful article with a comparison table:-

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09/28/nphone28.xml