PDA

View Full Version : roll on 1st july

paul11974
25-06-2003, 00:07
im like a geek here i keep looking at .com. and .co.uk .....don t know where to look next ......i ve even scrolled the whole membership list to see where i am.................did bill gates realy have this in mind when he built the pc :spin:

Chris
25-06-2003, 00:11
Best let nthw die gracefully. They went with a policy of engagement and got screwed by the British Government ... errm, I mean ntl.

This is the provisional nthellworld. No surrender! ;)

Shaun
25-06-2003, 00:48
Originally posted by towny
No surrender! ;)

Too right, they have really messed up, but when they bought it we all knew it was only a matter of time! :(

Ramrod
25-06-2003, 01:23
Best let nthw die gracefully. They went with a policy of engagement and got screwed by the British Government ... errm, I mean ntl.

This is the provisional nthellworld. No surrender! ;)
damn right!

darkangel
25-06-2003, 01:32
maybe ntl don't want as much bad publicity when they start cutting people off? ,am i being paranoid

homealone
25-06-2003, 01:35
just my opinion, but NTL customers might benefit from the community website - been said, wait & see.:)

I don't plan to bale out just now. (i.e. I am an NTL customer)

However, I really do see this *.uk site as the "real" replacement for the *.com one. Frank will move on, within NTL, starting with community & good luck to him. I'm sorry to say it looks bad for the "retained", rather than "employed" staff , though. Some of the recent posts, by them, seem to reflect that. I'd like to thank all mods/admins of nthellworld.com, past & present, for their input!

Gaz

DrAwesome
25-06-2003, 10:36
It will be interesting to see from the 1st of July if the NTL Community site offers help and moderation beyond the hours of 8am - 12pm

One can only wait and see

Chris
25-06-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by homealone
just my opinion, but NTL customers might benefit from the community website - been said, wait & see.:)
Gaz

Yes, I agree ... an on-line helpdesk is a good idea. I use one for my subscription services at Apple which always works well. If ntl staff it properly it will be a useful addition to the telephone help. At least you should be able to post a query, then come back an hour later to find an answer without having to have listened to any horrible 'on-hold' music in the meantime. As I've said in other threads, however, my fear is that they are moving their staff around to cover this rather than hiring anyone, and would actually like to fire a few people if they think they can get away with it. Additionally, while ntl:community might be a good helpdesk service, it won't be a replacement for the ntl service-related threads on nthw.com. Can you see ntl letting Cap threads, CR3 threads or Merged:e-mail problems threads (complete with polls) being allowed to remain? I think not. On my Apple service, if I post a problem, once a tech has posted a suggested solution the thread is closed and only I, as the thread starter, can add to it to report whether the fix worked. Some of the best threads on nthw.com wouldn't have got past page 1 under a similar policy.

For help, banter and a healthy dose of scepticism, I think nthw.co.uk is going to be the only place to be.

Pieman
25-06-2003, 15:47
Originally posted by DrAwesome
It will be interesting to see from the 1st of July if the NTL Community site offers help and moderation beyond the hours of 8am - 12pm

One can only wait and see

Would there be support on a Sunday or Bank Holiday ?

Chris
25-06-2003, 15:54
Originally posted by Pieman
Would there be support on a Sunday or Bank Holiday ?

My guess is that the community forum will be patrolled by techs at the same time as the 'phone help is open - afaik that's 24-7. However, the length of time it takes for a tech to respond to a post, especially 'out of hours' will be worth keeping a close eye on.

imback
25-06-2003, 16:03
My guess is that the community forum will be patrolled by techs at the same time as the 'phone help is open - afaik that's 24-7. However, the length of time it takes for a tech to respond to a post, especially 'out of hours' will be worth keeping a close eye on.

Well with the TSB not being 24/7 before long it would seem it will only be stafed during opening hours, I can't see NTL employing people to work round the clock for the site, even if it did make sense.

Theodoric
25-06-2003, 23:41
Yes, I agree ... an on-line helpdesk is a good idea. . . . At least you should be able to post a query, then come back an hour later to find an answer without having to have listened to any horrible 'on-hold' music in the meantime.
I wonder if it will be like the Dell email helpdesk. There, your first reply from Dell is automated. They simply search for keywords and then post you a lengthy screed dealing with all possible relevant problems. For example if you email them about a CD drive problem, you'll get a standard reply listing all the common CD Drive problems. If you're lucky the answer will be there, if not you have to send a second email when you'll get a reply from a human being.

Bill Payer
26-06-2003, 00:36
Just a thought but,will Community be available as an Interactive site on the Digital TV system?
An on-line help site,like this one,is OK if you are able to get on-line.

Chris
26-06-2003, 00:38
Originally posted by Bill Payer
Just a thought but,will Community be available as an Interactive site on the Digital TV system?
An on-line help site,like this one,is OK if you are able to get on-line.

Making it accessible on ntl:inactive is the surest way of stifling criticism. No-one can use it for more than 2 minutes without re-booting.

Bill Payer
26-06-2003, 00:40
Making it accessible on ntl:inactive is the surest way of stifling criticism. No-one can use it for more than 2 minutes without re-booting.
It could also reach a larger audience.TV users without a PC.

Pieman
26-06-2003, 10:20
Originally posted by Bill Payer
It could also reach a larger audience.TV users without a PC.

.....and to those people i.e. the ones that didn't know about nthellworld (com or co.uk) it will be a massive step up in support!

handyman
26-06-2003, 10:41
Just to let you all know you will see some friendly faces (on community) as the clt team will be around, although in a un-official capacity to start. :)

cjll3
26-06-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by handyman
Just to let you all know you will see some friendly faces (on community) as the clt team will be around, although in a un-official capacity to start. :)

Do they know about this yet?

zoombini
26-06-2003, 11:12
I was thinking the other day that the setting up of a CLT team might have been NTL trying the idea out, to see if it worked....

I just hope that the whole community site works well, also that they do have very good technical informaion on there, with specific details not just the normal & vague generalisations that some of these type of sites often have.

Chris
26-06-2003, 18:41
Originally posted by handyman

I don't see the sense in that at all. Not that the CLT chaps weren't helpful, but they were doing it voluntarily. If Ntl is setting up an official on-line helpdesk, how do they square that with putting CLT volunteers on it? Is this a ruse to get their staff to work for nothing?

"Here you go Jason X, we know you love helping customers so when you're off shift tonight we'd like you to 'volunteer' to go do it on ntl:community, while your on-shift chums sit here and do the same job and get paid for it."

Great idea, ntl. :rolleyes:

CLT dudes, come and do your unofficial helpy stuff here where you can have fun at the same time! :wavey:

grum1978
26-06-2003, 19:34

CLT dudes, come and do your unofficial helpy stuff here where you can have fun at the same time! :wavey:

I think you will find that some of them already are :D :p ;)