PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 port forwarding problem

timforrester
21-09-2005, 15:34
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve read a few threads on here about problems playing EA Sports games online, but I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t find anyone with this particular problem.

I have a PC, a laptop and a Playstation 2 sharing my ntl home internet connection through a Linksys WRT54G broadband router. I want to play EA Sports NHL 06 online, and to do this I need to forward some ports on the PS2 IP address. However, the router configuration page will only allow me to forward ports for IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.xxx. I could put the PS2 into a DMZ but the IP address still needs to be in this range. The PC and laptop addresses are in this range, but whenever I try to configure the PS2 IP address and DNS servers manually using the PS2 network access disc, the PS2 always changes the address to 192.78.78.0. It can connect to the internet with this address to play other games, but not NHL 06.

I have selected DHCP in the router configuration, which I understand is correct, so that the router can assign an IP address to each machine behind it. The addresses for the PC and laptop have always stayed the same since I installed the router, so if it will give the PC and the laptop a 192.168.1.xxx address, why wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t it do the same for the PS2?

Thanks.

atlantis
21-09-2005, 16:01
An IP conflict is basically where one or more devices on your network is trying to use the same IP address. Due to the nature of TCP/IP, you cannot use the same IP address more than once at the same time. If you're using the Router Connection type and have manually configured your Network Adaptor, disconnect everything from the router apart from your PlayStation 2 then see if it works. If your PlayStation 2 suddenly works, then you should probably change your PlayStation 2's IP address.

To do this insert the Network Access Disc into your PS2, then edit your network settings, and keep increasing your PlayStation 2's IP address by one until it works with other devices connected to the router. If you're not using a Router Connection, it's unlikely you'll get an IP conflict. If you do, however, just keep increasing your PlayStation 2's IP address by one until it works fine with other devices.

If you could not set up your network configuration automatically, or if you have specific network setup requirements, you'll need to use the Manual Configuration option. The following walkthrough describes each screen displayed and their usage. Your broadband Internet Service Provider should have supplied the information covered in this walkthrough when you signed up for your broadband Internet connection.

Due to the variety of equipment supplied by broadband Internet Service Providers, it's impossible to cover all possible variations of the manual configuration procedure in this guide. Therefore, depending on your service provider and connection setup, you may have to answer some additional on-screen questions during the configuration process in order to allow the Network Access Disc to set up your Network Adaptor settings correctly.

1. Does your service provider support PPPoE?

Referring to Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet, this information should be provided by your ISP when you sign up for an Internet connection. If you are unsure about this, please refer to your ISP's support web site or the documentation given to you when you signed up. If you're using the Internet Connection Sharing connection type, select No here.

Username and password entry: If you answer Yes, you will need to supply the username and password that you use to connect to your broadband Internet connection. Use the virtual keyboard on screen to enter your details. Be careful to use the delete key on the virtual keyboard and not the analog controller's Triangle button, as that will take you back to the previous setup question.

2. Does your service provider support DHCP?

Referring to Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, this information should be provided by your ISP when you sign up for an Internet connection. If you are unsure about this, please refer to your ISP's support web site or the documentation given to you when you signed up. If you're using the Internet Connection Sharing connection type, or a router that uses DHCP, select Yes here.

Enter your IP address manually: If you answer No, and your ISP does not support DHCP then it should be able to supply you with what IP address, netmask and gateway you should use. If you do not know these details, please contact your ISP for support.

3. Is DNS given automatically?

Referring to Domain Name System, this information should be provided by your ISP when you sign up for an Internet connection. If you are unsure about this, please refer to your ISP's support web site or the documentation given to you when you signed up. If you're using the Internet Connection Sharing connection type, select Yes here.

Enter your DNS servers: If you answer No, and your ISP does not give DNS automatically, you will have to enter which DNS servers to use. This information should be provided by your ISP. If you do not know these details, please contact your ISP for support.

4. Save configuration?

Once you have completed all these steps, you will then be able to save your settings to your Memory Card. You only need 137KB of space free on your Memory Card to save your network settings. It's strongly recommended that you do this, so you don't have to set up the settings every time you wish to play a network game.

Enter your configuration name: Simply enter the name you would like to save your configuration as. You can have as many as you need. Use the virtual keyboard on screen to enter your details. Be careful to use the delete key on the virtual keyboard and not the analog controller's Triangle button, as that will take you back to the previous setup question.

http://www.metafaq.com/faq/playstation/installation/manualconfig.html

timforrester
21-09-2005, 16:57
Thanks. I gave my PS2 an IP address at the top of the accepted range and it works now. I was trying an address at the lower end and it wasn't working.