PDA

View Full Version : Football Why do you support your team

marky
20-09-2005, 21:44
I was born in bolton and live in bolton, so i support bolton:)

Roy MM
20-09-2005, 21:48
Manchester United all my life up to now, but i follow my local teams, Bury, Bolton and Prestwich heys.

sir_drinks_alot
20-09-2005, 21:49
because i was born in oxford :) it's my home team. :tu:

skyblueheroes
Born and bred in Coventry. Parents were fans too.

Went to the FA Cup final in 87 aged 11, so I got into it young.

punky
Closest team is Spurs, so I support them. Althouh after tonight losing to flaming Grimsby, I wonder why I f*****g bother sometimes.

sir_drinks_alot
20-09-2005, 21:54
Born and bred in Coventry. Parents were fans too.

Went to the FA Cup final in 87 aged 11, so I got into it young.

Bet you have the 87 Cup final dvd :)

Russ
20-09-2005, 21:55
As long as this thread is ONLY used to say which team(s) you support then I won't merge it with the other one.

skyblueheroes
20-09-2005, 21:56
Bet you have the 87 Cup final dvd :)

No, but I have the VHS :p:

Must put it on my xmas list :)

marky
20-09-2005, 21:57
As long as this thread is ONLY used to say which team(s) you support then I won't merge it with the other one.Its why you support your team not general football discusion, we know that is another thread :D

Russ
20-09-2005, 21:58
As long as it stays on topic then it can stay - for now....

homealone
20-09-2005, 21:58
Closest team is Spurs, so I support them. Althouh after tonight losing to flaming Grimsby, I wonder why I f*****g bother sometimes.

oops, yes - support your local team, i agree :erm:

Grimsby Town are good for a triv question, as they don't play in Grimsby - 'Blundell Park' is in Cleethorpes, er, where I live - sorry punky :p: :angel:

marky
20-09-2005, 21:59
Right boss :tu:

sir_drinks_alot
20-09-2005, 22:01
Moved to the right thred :)

marky
20-09-2005, 22:04
:redcard: :notopic:

Mal
20-09-2005, 22:05
Man Utd as they are my local team...but what has local got to do with it? I don't know...

It could have been helluva lot worse...I could have been a Bolton fan ;)

timewarrior2001
20-09-2005, 22:11
I was Born in Billingham, I lived in Billingham most of my life, I support Billingham Synthonia (Stockton North league).

If following a team makes any difference then you could say I follow Middlesbrough, not only because they are the "Big" local team, but because their reserves play at the Synthonia ground.

Marge
20-09-2005, 22:11

I have offered to introduce you to the delights of supporting a fantastic team but for some reason, you are resisting :erm: :D :D

Manchester born, support Man U :tu:

timewarrior2001
20-09-2005, 22:12
I have offered to introduce you to the delights of supporting a fantastic team but for some reason, you are resisting :erm: :D :D

Well there had to be one Man U supporter from Manchester, I think we have found them lol :D

nffc
20-09-2005, 22:13
Why team? Why stop at one...

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-09-2005, 22:16
oops, yes - support your local team, i agree :erm:

Grimsby Town are good for a triv question, as they don't play in Grimsby - 'Blundell Park' is in Cleethorpes, er, where I live - sorry punky :p: :angel:

My uncle used to live across the road from that ground. Another triv question involves Berwick Upon Tweed

Oh, team? Man U, 1976 cup final was the first game saw

Mal
20-09-2005, 22:18
Well there had to be one Man U supporter from Manchester, I think we have found them lol :DBoom, boom...never heard that one before... ;) :D

There is at least 2! ;)

BBKing
20-09-2005, 22:19
What about 'my dad does' as a choice?* Lots of people have a family club to follow. Mind you, my mum follows anyone she feels sorry for - I think it's Sunderland this season, but she's from Stockport.

*Mind you, his dad supported Preston North End, who were probably the equivalent of Man United for turn-of-the-last-century Irishmen.

marky
20-09-2005, 22:20
Why team? Why stop at one...Allways one, roy quoted 3 teams so it doesnt matter, the vote is do you support your home town or another because you think they are the best :)

punky
20-09-2005, 22:20

That's true. Living 200 miles away from Old Trafford is about the only criterion you need to be a Man U supporter ;) :Sprint:

Mal
20-09-2005, 22:24
That's true. Living 200 miles away from Old Trafford is about the only criterion you need to be a Man U supporter ;) :Sprint::scratch: Now, does that mean that their local teams are crap and have to look elsewhere for entertainment? ;) :D

Russ
20-09-2005, 22:29
Support Man United as I lived there from age 4 to 9 ish, then moved back to south wales where I still follow Swansea City as well.

yesman
20-09-2005, 23:58
Man U & Cambridge United (Local Team), followed them both since 1963.

Most footie fans in Cambridge either go to Spurs, Arsenal, Norwich or Ipswich to see top flight football rather than support the local teams.

MovedGoalPosts
21-09-2005, 00:06
As a non "supporter" but perhaps someone who takes an occasional interest, I do wonder if the poll is a little bit narrow.

For me, it is nothing to do with the best, or local. It can simply be:
"it's the first team I actually went and saw the game at home"
"its the team I grew up with, but long since moved away from the area"
"its the team my parent / family supported"

In my case the local non league team I ended up controlling "crowds" at their games, over a couple of seasons that I developed a passing interest.

There seem to me to be so many variables.

nffc
21-09-2005, 00:14
As a non "supporter" but perhaps someone who takes an occasional interest, I do wonder if the poll is a little bit narrow.

I think the poll's narrow and agree with the rest of your post but I have to take issue with that... I don't really think football is something you can "take an occasional interest in". When Forest play I HAVE to know how they're doing. Live at the ground, on Sky (although not much of that now), radio, text commentary, even score updates... it's "on edge" most of the time when they play. Likewise- get in, check if we've signed anyone. Check the latest news... Not saying football is my life because I have loads more interests though, just don't think it lends itself to "part time" kinda stuff...

Of course, I'd also like to hear other opinions...

As for the question: I'm from Nottm, I live in Nottm, really only one option.

marky
21-09-2005, 00:19

For me, it is nothing to do with the best, or local. It can simply be:
"it's the first team I actually went and saw the game at home"
"its the team I grew up with, but long since moved away from the area"
"its the team my parent / family supported"

In my case the local non league team I ended up controlling "crowds" at their games, over a couple of seasons that I developed a passing interest.

There seem to me to be so many variables.feel free to change the poll :)

MovedGoalPosts
21-09-2005, 00:25

I think the poll's narrow and agree with the rest of your post but I have to take issue with that... I don't really think football is something you can "take an occasional interest in". When Forest play I HAVE to know how they're doing. Live at the ground, on Sky (although not much of that now), radio, text commentary, even score updates... it's "on edge" most of the time when they play. Likewise- get in, check if we've signed anyone. Check the latest news... Not saying football is my life because I have loads more interests though, just don't think it lends itself to "part time" kinda stuff...

Of course, I'd also like to hear other opinions...

As for the question: I'm from Nottm, I live in Nottm, really only one option.

But that is my point - dragging the thread off topic. I might read the newspaper, if I buy it. and see what the results are - but that will be Monday, not checking the results on the Saturday TV scores. I certainly don't listen to live commentary, or even think "must watch match of the day cos xyz team is on". I will look to see how the teams I'm interested in has done, from time to time. And I re-emphasise the teams plural as I am interested in how they did, if they are up or down, but I don't know names of each player, who scored or sacved what, who is injured etc. There are far more important things in life, than a group of overpaid blokes running around a bit of grass for 90 minutes.

gazzae
21-09-2005, 08:08
I support Lisburn Distillery as they are my local team, and I also support Man Utd as my dad supports them.

liamboyle06
21-09-2005, 09:30
Derry City supporter, as I live here

Angua
21-09-2005, 09:41
Neither as I don't follow Football.

gazzae
21-09-2005, 09:49
Derry City supporter, as I live here

Bet you were a happy man last night then.

What do you think your chances for the treble are?

sherer
21-09-2005, 10:03
needs more options this vote.. i follow the same teams as my Dad who first took me to football.. first team we saw was Man U followed by our local side Palace

Nugget
21-09-2005, 11:07
I grew up in a town called Great Barr, which was roughly the same distance from Villa Park and The Hawthornes. At the time, Villa and West Brom were both in the old first division, but I picked Villa as my local team, and have foillowed them ever since.

Since moving to Grimsby, I also keep an eye out for Towns scores (particularly as I used to live about half a mile from Blundell Park), but Villa will always be my team.

orangebird
21-09-2005, 11:45
Same here :mad:

me283
21-09-2005, 11:49
I am a very proud West Ham fan (sorry Nug!). My eldest brother was a mad fan, and even had a trial for them a long time back. My other brother is a big Chelsea fan, season ticket holder, but he wasn't a good footballer, so the Hammers got my vote. My late father also had a soft spot for them, although not a fan.

However, along with Rob C, I am not a "follow everything" fan. I take more than a passing interest, but my main love is rugby (player and fan... not a very good footballer). My team there is Harlequins, as they are reasonably local and I know a fair few ex-players.

By the way Nug, what was the score with West Ham v Villa last week?

Nugget
21-09-2005, 11:51

It was a cracking goal though :D

Nugget
21-09-2005, 16:44
I am a very proud West Ham fan (sorry Nug!). My eldest brother was a mad fan, and even had a trial for them a long time back. My other brother is a big Chelsea fan, season ticket holder, but he wasn't a good footballer, so the Hammers got my vote. My late father also had a soft spot for them, although not a fan.

However, along with Rob C, I am not a "follow everything" fan. I take more than a passing interest, but my main love is rugby (player and fan... not a very good footballer). My team there is Harlequins, as they are reasonably local and I know a fair few ex-players.

By the way Nug, what was the score with West Ham v Villa last week?

Shuddup, shuddup, shuddup!! :p:

By the way, you didn't happen to be in Cornwall last Monday did you? I'm only asking because, if you weren't, you were the only bloomin' West Ham fan in the country who wasn't in the pub I watched the match in! Only just escaped with my life :disturbd: :D

liamboyle06
21-09-2005, 16:58
Bet you were a happy man last night then.

What do you think your chances for the treble are?

I would love to see it happen again, but I cant see Cork slipping much, so will have to accept the double instead.

Maggy
21-09-2005, 17:01
Is this allowed?ANOTHER football thread?I thought we were only allowed to have one. ;)

marky
21-09-2005, 17:47
Is this allowed?ANOTHER football thread?I thought we were only allowed to have one. ;)It is not suppose to be a discussion thread, its just to find out if people support there home team or another because they think they are the best team (glory hunting);)

Mal
21-09-2005, 20:27
Is this allowed?ANOTHER football thread?I thought we were only allowed to have one. ;)
*cough* I'm sure that this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=35427) thread could have put into this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=35311&highlight=moon) one ;) :D *cough*

nffc
21-09-2005, 21:00
*cough* I'm sure that this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=35427) thread could have put into this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=35311&highlight=moon) one ;) :D *cough*
Not as a poll, though, I can hear a siren.

Maggy
21-09-2005, 23:55

I was having a slight go at the mods and admin who have been asked so many times if we could have a sports forum...and always seem to insist on ONE football thread.Seems they aren't going to amalgamate the two-well not yet anyway. ;)

I think a sports forum would be a good thing... ;)

Angua
22-09-2005, 08:44
Download Failed (1)
Agree with Coggy.

There is more to life than Football

me283
22-09-2005, 08:47
Shuddup, shuddup, shuddup!! :p:

By the way, you didn't happen to be in Cornwall last Monday did you? I'm only asking because, if you weren't, you were the only bloomin' West Ham fan in the country who wasn't in the pub I watched the match in! Only just escaped with my life :disturbd: :D

Fortunately we have more than enough fans to fill one pub, unlike Villa :p: .

Maybe the good people of the West country are finally catching on to supporting the finest team on the planet... the Hammers!

Mal
22-09-2005, 10:41
I was having a slight go at the mods and admin who have been asked so many times if we could have a sports forum...and always seem to insist on ONE football thread.Seems they aren't going to amalgamate the two-well not yet anyway. ;)

I think a sports forum would be a good thing... ;)Sorry, my misunderstanding :)

sir_drinks_alot
22-09-2005, 13:34
http://fs5.deviantart.com/i/2004/333/c/1/Cough_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif
Agree with Coggy.

There is more to life than Football

"Football Isn’t just a matter of life and death it's more important than that" :tu: