PDA

View Full Version : Books & Movies you wished you lived in.

Richard M
18-10-2003, 20:47
For me it has to be Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, although I'd probably spend all my time in the Mended Drum and the movie would most likely be either Dazed & Confused (what a film!) or Original Sin, for it's dark atmosphere.

What's yours? :)

Ramrod
18-10-2003, 20:50
Doh! Star Wars as some uber-Jedi or other!:D
.....c'mon, can there be any other choice!:D

homealone
18-10-2003, 20:55
lol - howabout The Faraway Tree, by Enid Blyton - everlasting toffees, anyone?:D

ic14
18-10-2003, 21:02
the lord of the rings, nuff said :D

OK other books/films....
Book:Artemis Fowl
Film:Spirted Away

Russ
18-10-2003, 21:09
Left Behind (www.leftbehind.com) by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins - it's about what happens to all the people who are left behind on Earth after Jesus returns to take all His followers. You don't have to be a believer to enjoy this post-apocalyptic novel - bexy knows what I'm talking about, it's an awesome story :)

Bex
18-10-2003, 21:13
Left Behind (www.leftbehind.com) by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins - it's about what happens to all the people who are left behind on Earth after Jesus returns to take all His followers. You don't have to be a believer to enjoy this post-apocalyptic novel - bexy knows what I'm talking about, it's an awesome story :)

personally im not sure i would like to live in the books......as soon as i saw this thread i immediately thought of them though....and ironically......i am re-reading them all again.......still havent got the last one that came out though :bigcry:

and no u dont have to be a believer my best mate (non christian) loves them

Marge
18-10-2003, 21:18
Have to agree with Ramrod, defo Star Wars, me as some Princess Leia type girly :ninja:

Bex
18-10-2003, 21:21
Have to agree with Ramrod, defo Star Wars, me as some Princess Leia type girly :ninja:

but darth mal (or whatever his name is) is scary :cry: or maybe im just a wimp

edit: heheheheh princess leia reminds me of that friends episode

Richard M
18-10-2003, 21:22

Oh er missus!
:drool: :D

dieselking
19-10-2003, 00:54
Pitch Black - very good fiim plus I'd get to drool over vin diesel all day & night (LOL I wish:):) )

I also like the film The man in the Iron mask, brillient story & a very good film

Graham
19-10-2003, 01:01
I'd choose Roger Zelazny's "Amber" universe, because with the power of Pattern, you can walk to any world your heart desires!!

Richard M
19-10-2003, 01:35
I'm glad I don't live in this film:
http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68539#post68539

*shudder*

Atomic22
19-10-2003, 18:55
i would have loved to have been in/on the Titanic..
(survivor of course).....
just to have seen it in reality....
barring that i would like to be a member of the sg1 team

Lew
19-10-2003, 21:42
Either Tron, Star Wars, LotR or Discworld :)

Stuart
20-10-2003, 00:14
I know it's not a movie, but I like to have been in Dempsey & Makepeace. Only because I want the drool over Glynis Barber...

Failing that, I'd like to be an X Man...

Theodoric
20-10-2003, 20:20
Are you a pre-tribulationist or a post-tribulationist? :)

Bex
20-10-2003, 20:30

pre-trib:D

Chris
21-10-2003, 10:31
Wavering. The interpretation that forms the basis of Left Behind was virtually unknown before the mid-19th century, and I've always found the early church to be a better guide to Biblical interpretation than much later movements.

Not saying that either pre-trib, post-trib (or neither) is true. All that's important is that I believe God and remain watchful.

(And only buy new Left Behind books when they're old and have come down in price, 'cos the standard of storytelling plumbs new depths with each book in the series - what was once an original idea is now a very worn franchise).

Now, back on topic ... I wanna be part of an SG team! Atomic, d'you fancy teaming up to kick some Goauld a$$? ;) :D

Russ
21-10-2003, 10:35
Pre-trib for me thanks, although I'd love to be proven wrong :)

Mark W
21-10-2003, 13:00
Gotta be the discworld for me, afterall, my gamertag IS Rincewind :)

would love his luggage too....

http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/art/thumbnails/rincewind-on-the-luggage.jpg

Atomic22
22-10-2003, 18:22
Now, back on topic ... I wanna be part of an SG team! Atomic, d'you fancy teaming up to kick some Goauld a$$? ;) :D

too right i would mate :)

Alan Waddington
22-10-2003, 19:33
Book: 'The practice effect'
Film: 'The ninth gate'

Xaccers
22-10-2003, 19:49
Failing that, I'd like to be an X Man...

You could always have the op :D

All my best dreams involve Aliens (Giger's creation)
Give me a M41a pulse rifle and plenty of ammo and I'd love it :P

Stuart
22-10-2003, 20:15
You could always have the op :D

Give me a M41a pulse rifle and plenty of ammo and I'd love it :P
:rofl:

Ramrod
22-10-2003, 20:59
I know it's not a movie, but I like to have been in Dempsey & Makepeace. Only because I want the drool over Glynis Barber...

Failing that, I'd like to be an X Man...Me too! I bagsy I'm Wolverine!:D

Ramrod
22-10-2003, 21:01
'kin wierdo:erm: ;) :D

Xaccers
22-10-2003, 21:08
'kin wierdo:erm: ;) :D

Yup I am :P

Bex
22-10-2003, 21:38
talking of x-men it just happens to be on now :D

Dude111
03-08-2023, 04:11
I would love to be in REAL GENIUS (1985) or RISKY BUSINESS (1983) two of my favourite 80s movies!!!!!

I would love meeting Val Kilmer!!

tweetiepooh
03-08-2023, 10:30
Left Behind (http://www.leftbehind.com) by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins - it's about what happens to all the people who are left behind on Earth after Jesus returns to take all His followers. You don't have to be a believer to enjoy this post-apocalyptic novel - bexy knows what I'm talking about, it's an awesome story :)
I'm not in the "pretrib" group so don't fully agree with the theology but I would not want to live in the scenario described in those books.

I wouldn't want to live in some fiction - where are the toilets, running water, showers, baths? Where are the Christian churches that aren't Catholic or weird?

As I am, I couldn't live in the more practical environments, I don't have the manual skills and don't have the inclination to decapitate my opponents.

As for the "future", it's normally too dystopian in some way, even if it doesn't appear to be.

Hugh
03-08-2023, 10:33
I'm not in the "pretrib" group so don't fully agree with the theology but I would not want to live in the scenario described in those books.

I wouldn't want to live in some fiction - where are the toilets, running water, showers, baths? Where are the Christian churches that aren't Catholic or weird?

As I am, I couldn't live in the more practical environments, I don't have the manual skills and don't have the inclination to decapitate my opponents.

As for the "future", it's normally too dystopian in some way, even if it doesn't appear to be.

Eh?

tweetiepooh
03-08-2023, 11:34
Eh?

Well in most fiction (set in this world) the Christian church is either Roman Catholic (not reformed) but doing their bit or a bit odd, more like a cult. Either that or very wishy washy and ineffectual. You rarely see an effective protestant group that has good theology and also serving their community.

I mean the sort of church I attend now is conspicuous it's absence from fiction. Often that would not be relevant to the script but it is something that I would want were I to be living in that world.

Dude111
03-08-2023, 15:20
I see you work for Virgin tweetiepooh,good for you mate :)

Left Behind (www.leftbehind.com) by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins - it's about what happens to all the people who are left behind on Earth after Jesus returns to take all His followers.Wow I wouldnt wanna think I would be left behind.... I love God and Jesus........ I think we are in the end times now and its a very mean world :(

Hom3r
03-08-2023, 17:13
Wow 20 years between posts