PDA

View Full Version : NTL No Installation / No Call

MikeyG
19-09-2005, 16:56
A little back story first. On Friday 9th September we booked for NTL to come out and install broadband, TV and telephone services for our student house. Upon arrival, the engineer told us he would need to drill through various walls in the house and feed cables around. We had assumed that as we already had NTL cables shown in the house we would be fine, but they were just telephone cables apparently. I told the engineer Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d have to postpone the installation temporarily while I asked my landlord for permission to drill through walls / feed cables round the house †“ which the engineer agreed with and said there would be no charge for the service, all fine.

So Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve spoken to the landlord last week, and called NTL on the Tuesday. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve been given permission, and weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve also decided to downgrade just to the broadband (removing the telephone and TV services). The Customer Service bloke put the TV and telephone as both uninstalled and said I would not be charged for them †“ and then said heââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d get onto the installations department regarding an install date. He puts me on hold while he calls installations †“ 5 minutes later Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m told that all of installations departmentââ ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s computers are down so heââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s going to have to send them an e-mail to call me and book and installation date. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m told it will be 24-48 hour maximum wait, which is fine, I think.

The 2 day maximum period passes; I even give it a third day †“ no phone call.

So on Friday I call again, and tell the Customer Service bloke my story and that Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m still waiting for an installation date. He tells me that heââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll fast-track the request by sending another e-mail to cancellations / installation department (at least I think thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s what he said, he had me rather confused as to what he was actually doing) and that I would receive a call by Monday latest regarding an installation date.

So here I am today, Monday, and I have not received a call again. What really ****es me off is that Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve already received my first direct debit bill come through the post †“ despite not actually having ANY services installed. Itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s amazing how efficient their business skills are when it comes to demanding payment, but when it comes to actually providing the service itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s non-existent!

Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m at a total loss at what to do right now. Every time I call regarding installation Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m told that theyââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re sending e-mails to the installation department and that Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ll receive a call back †“ this ultimately never happens. When I first ordered the package via the sales line I was given an installation date on the spot and everything was sorted properly, how is it that the people in customer service cannot do the same for me?

Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m moving into the house next week and I really need the broadband as soon as possible, especially given that Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m doing a computer science degree and a lot of my research will be done online. I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t afford to be wasting the first few weeks of term waiting for NTL to sort themselves out †“ this is my second year and is very important for me.

Thanks for any advice / help provided.

Jules
19-09-2005, 16:59
First of all welcome to the forum :)
I can't help you but the team here are very good at getting things like this sorted out, so just hang on in there while one of them gets to see this :tu:

MikeyG
19-09-2005, 17:12
I hope so Jules, all 6 of us are moving into the house as of next week and desperately need the internet for our courses!

Nemesis
19-09-2005, 17:17
I hope so Jules, all 6 of us are moving into the house as of next week and desperately need the internet for our courses!

MikeyG ...

I am going to need some information, please send it by PM, and do not post it.

I need

Name on Contract
Email Address
Telephone number
Brief synopsis of problems, with names (if you have them) (I know you've posted, but ...)

I will get this attended to as soon as possible.

Jules
19-09-2005, 17:19

There you go Simon is dealing with it and he is very good at getting things done.

Good luck :tu:

Roy MM
19-09-2005, 17:23
Try NTL's responcetek here:- http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ntl.php

And :welcome: indeed.

MikeyG
19-09-2005, 17:35
I've contacted Simon thanks for the speedy response.

Hi all, thanks for the welcome.

Nemesis
19-09-2005, 18:38
This has been forwarded to ntl.

MikeyG
20-09-2005, 12:09
Hi there, just a quick update on what's happened.

I received a call this morning from Linda at NTL, who has helped me out loads and been fantastic. The installation is booked for next Monday and I've also cleared up the payment issue, so it's all sorted and hopefully will be up and running as of next week!

Thanks a lot to Simon / Linda, you've been a great help I really appreciate it.

Nemesis
20-09-2005, 12:10
You should also be logged as a Student Contract, which you weren't before ;)

MikeyG
20-09-2005, 12:37
I did ask the salesperson to make sure it was a 9 month contract whilst ordering (3 times in fact!) - glad that's been cleared up also then!

Thanks a lot Simon :)

MikeyG
27-09-2005, 16:35
We had a small problem with the installation on Monday, but had 2 engineers come back this morning and were great (they fixed the problem and had the broadband up and running).

Hopefully this is the end of this saga, thanks again :)

Nemesis
27-09-2005, 20:49
cool :D