PDA

View Full Version : The most unused kitchen gadget

Salu
12-09-2005, 09:35
On the radio this morning they were discussing kitchen gadgets that either you have bought or have been bought that you thought might be great but now never use and they sit in the bottom of the cupboard....

They had got a top ten list from somewhere that included things such as...

Milk frothers
Sandwich tosters
Juicers

etc.

I've got a spaghetti fork that you supposedly turn like a crank to coil the spaghetti. Total crap.... :)

You?

PS Yes, its Monday.......

Ramrod
12-09-2005, 09:37
Veg steaming machine...

STONEISLAND
12-09-2005, 09:40
Veg steaming machine...

Are you mad? There very useful and the veg taste great. :confused:

I have a coffe machine that just sit there.......Far to much hassle.

Salu
12-09-2005, 09:42
Are you mad? There very usfull and the veg taste great. :confused:

Are you mad? There very usfull and the Coffee tastes great. :confused:

;)

STONEISLAND
12-09-2005, 09:46
Are you mad? There very usfull and the Coffee tastes great. :confused:

;)

No takes too much time, hassle cleaning it afterwards. Just for a sligtly stronger taste in coffe......I'd sooner get it from the jar. Quick and easy.

Salu
12-09-2005, 09:52
I can't possibly let you put an espresso coffee maker into room 101, if that's what you are referring to? Not in favour of instant coffee. That almost borders on sacrilege!

Have you no panache, style and appreciation for the finer things in life?

:)

bopdude
12-09-2005, 10:12
George Forman grill :Yikes: well it seemed a good idea at the time, now thoughit just sits in the dark ;)

atlantis
12-09-2005, 10:16
When I was married, my ex wife would never cook, so most unused item was the cooker:Yikes:

Needless to say, I do it all now, getting to be not a bad cook either:tu:

monkey2468
12-09-2005, 10:20
Soda Stream

zing_deleted
12-09-2005, 10:25
I can't possibly let you put an espresso coffee maker into room 101, if that's what you are referring to? Not in favour of instant coffee. That almost borders on sacrilege!

Have you no panache, style and appreciation for the finer things in life?

:)

I just bought a Phillips senseo expresso pod machine absolutely awesome as quick as boiling a kettle

Most unused I would say is the sink ,I hate washing up :LOL:

Stuart
12-09-2005, 10:25

We have a little Krups Espresso machine. Doesn't require an awful lot of cleaning (the jug and the cup for the coffee powder need cleaning quite a bit, but no more than any other kitchen utensil, and, IIRC, you just need to run some cleaning fluid through to clean the tank and pipes once in a while). It produces coffee quite quickly (about the same as instant) and the coffee produced tastes so much nicer.

Admittedly, we don't tend to use the Milk frother bit for cappuchino as that can be a pain to clean.

As for bits we don't use in the kitchen, probably the oven. There are only two of us in the house, and we have a combi microwave/oven/grill that is more than adequate for preparing most food (the oven in the microwave takes a few minutes to heat up, the oven we have fitted takes a lot longer).

Also, we have a sandwich toaster somewhere that only gets used if one of us *really* feels like a toasted sandwich. We tend not to use it much, as it is a bugger to clean.

nfs6600
12-09-2005, 12:37
Slow Cooker - brilliant at first now it just sits at the back of the cupboard doing nothing. Also my george forman grill. I'm sorry, but I like the grease, it's what gives meat it's flavour!. I see no point in it. All i do is pour the grease back over the meat from the drip tray once its done - perfection!

Halcyon
12-09-2005, 12:37
Sandwich tosters

These things are briliant and you can put loads of things in your little toasted sandwhich's. For a quick meal on a Sunday night, they are great.

Bread makers. OK they are great for getting fresh bread, but who is going to make fresh bread every morning, every day. Its one of those buy once, use once items.

AndrewJ
12-09-2005, 12:39
I love sandwich toasters my last one died a week or so back so if anyone has one lying about drop us a pm.

orangebird
12-09-2005, 12:46
I love sandwich toasters my last one died a week or so back so if anyone has one lying about drop us a pm.

Tescos now sell Value sandwich toasters for 5 or 6 quid I think :tu:

Chris
12-09-2005, 12:50
Milk frothers
Sandwich tosters
Juicers

All three of those ... :erm:

Millay
12-09-2005, 12:50
Our is the deep fat frier.. got given iyt and it has never been used, just sits in the corner acting like some kind of monument..

Slow cookers rock.. cant beleive people dont use them..

homealone
12-09-2005, 12:51
coffee - much easier with a cafetiere (ok no froth, but I take it black, anyway - and we have a solar powered milk frother for Mrs Gaz ;) ) The last electric expresso maker we had, furred up after about 3 brews.

steamer - much easier with nested pans on the hob than the electric one (which is sometimes used for fish & rice, which it does well)

George Foreman grill - hardly used now my son has moved out (and the non-stick is past its best so it is a bugger to clean)

Juicer - hardly ever used.

ice cream maker - hardly ever used

popcorn maker - hardly ever used

- funny enough the bread maker does get used quite often, although not every day...

Chris
12-09-2005, 12:52
Bread makers. OK they are great for getting fresh bread, but who is going to make fresh bread every morning, every day. Its one of those buy once, use once items.

Err ... me. ;) Tends to be every other day though, because the bread lasts more than 24 hours. But the machine goes on last thing before bed and produces a fresh, crusty loaf by breakfast time the following morning. Our bread maker is the most used appliance in our kitchen, apart from the usuals (cooker, fridge/freezer & microwave).

Ramrod
12-09-2005, 12:59
The veg steamer I am referring to is the electric, 3 tier one...........I much prefer using my little fold out metal steamer that just sits in a saucepan.

progers
12-09-2005, 13:04
When I was married, my ex wife would never cook, so most unused item was the cooker:Yikes:

Needless to say, I do it all now, getting to be not a bad cook either:tu:

As wife is now "Ex" was cooker or wife used less?

marky
12-09-2005, 13:12
washing up bowl :shrug:

nfs6600
12-09-2005, 13:28
Our is the deep fat frier.. got given iyt and it has never been used, just sits in the corner acting like some kind of monument..

Slow cookers rock.. cant beleive people dont use them..

I use the deep fat fryer all the time in my home. I've lately been into deep frying mars bars with batter on.

I don't agree that slow cookers rock, however. Yea it was great the first couple of weeks. Never tasted a more tender peice of meat. But for me, they just ain't convinient enough.

Millay
12-09-2005, 14:15
I use the deep fat fryer all the time in my home. I've lately been into deep frying mars bars with batter on.

I don't agree that slow cookers rock, however. Yea it was great the first couple of weeks. Never tasted a more tender peice of meat. But for me, they just ain't convinient enough.

Slow cookers are very convinient, get up at 8am dice 500g of chicken breast, dump in slow cooker, pour on jar of pattaks curry stuff.. leave till return home from work and you have a lovelly curry waiting for you.. stews as well mmmmm

Angua
12-09-2005, 15:04
Garlic chopper (too much hassle to clean).

Dave Stones
12-09-2005, 15:16
melon baller. why??????

Jules
12-09-2005, 16:30
Mine has to be the toaster

Paul
12-09-2005, 16:49
Potato peeler - my missues uses a knife instead :disturbd:

Dave Stones
12-09-2005, 16:56
Potato peeler - my missues uses a knife instead :disturbd:

as do i. try it sometime, the knife is so much better :D

i've thought of another one. it's the thing in the fridge that holds eggs, what is the point? you take that out and there is room for an egg box there anyway... silly :sleep:

handyman
12-09-2005, 17:03
Garlic chopper (too much hassle to clean).

I use mine every couple of days, my melon baller has yet to be broken in.

Angua
12-09-2005, 17:08
George Forman grill :Yikes: well it seemed a good idea at the time, now thoughit just sits in the dark ;)

Wouldn't be without mine as I have an oven/grill combined so I can't use the oven and grill. Brilliant for sausages and cheese and onion toasties (amazing how much water comes out of a few rashers of bacon though) :shrug:

Jules
12-09-2005, 17:43
I love my George Foreman, strange how one person can't do with out some thing yet another person leaves it to gather dust

Salu
12-09-2005, 20:34
Wouldn't be without mine as I have an oven/grill combined so I can't use the oven and grill. Brilliant for sausages and cheese and onion toasties (amazing how much water comes out of a few rashers of bacon though) :shrug:

That's because they inject the water in there to make it go further..... :rolleyes:

Hom3r
12-09-2005, 20:37
My dad:Yikes:

Don't tell him I said that

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-09-2005, 20:40
Slow cookers are very convinient, get up at 8am dice 500g of chicken breast, dump in slow cooker, pour on jar of pattaks curry stuff.. leave till return home from work and you have a lovelly curry waiting for you.. stews as well mmmmm

why dont you make it up before you go to bed and let it marinate in the fridge. Just pop it on in the morning. Extra sleep and a better curry:)

Martin
12-09-2005, 22:26
I have an elctric tin opener which i never use mainly because it takes longer to plug in than it takes me to get the manual one out of the draw!

ellie
12-09-2005, 22:44
I think the only thing we havent used in the kitchen is a wooden mallet thingy that ur meant to whack raw meat with ..Not our kinda thing https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/09/4.gif

Millay
12-09-2005, 23:02
why dont you make it up before you go to bed and let it marinate in the fridge. Just pop it on in the morning. Extra sleep and a better curry:)

Never thought of that... clever idea!

cookie_365
14-09-2005, 19:36
No takes too much time, hassle cleaning it afterwards. Just for a sligtly stronger taste in coffe......I'd sooner get it from the jar. Quick and easy.

But surely urinating into a mug takes less time and is less hassle than instant coffee, and it'll certainly taste nicer ;)