PDA

View Full Version : What do i do?

Angelus
07-09-2005, 19:58
Ok today I went into court and got community service. I know what i did was wrong and will spare the details. But from now on i want to abide by the law.

Now here is the start to my question.

I have work tommorrow. Its just a 6pm-10pm shift. But i work about 13 miles away as i am planning on moving to the area. If i catch the bus home it will be 12am before i get home. I am then working the next day at 6am. I would get about 4-5 hours sleep.

My mom cant pick me up tommorrow night or take me friday morning because of a ear infection which for some reason is not affecting her every other day routines. Anyway. I am learning to drive so therefore have a provisional. My mom said use the car and be careful and you will be ok. I dont want to. She said if they keep sopping you its harrasment. To which i replied its only harrassment if i was doing nothing wrong. But driving the car i would be. She said no its harrassment.

She then said well get the bus and i explained my situation to her and she said "Well if you lose this job then you can get out"

Basically she wants me to start doing illegal activities the day after i was in court or get out her house.

What can i do?

jellybaby
07-09-2005, 20:04
Whatever you do DO NOT drive that car. Its not worth the hassle. Although i can see you problem. Is there nowhere you can stop which is near you work ( a friend maybe) ?

Bex
07-09-2005, 20:08
Whatever you do DO NOT drive that car. Its not worth the hassle. Although i can see you problem. Is there nowhere you can stop which is near you work ( a friend maybe) ?

my thought's exactly. it would not be harrassment, you would be breaking the law... is it possible for this one time that you can get a taxi home?

handyman
07-09-2005, 20:08
Bike?

Angelus
07-09-2005, 20:10
my thought's exactly. it would not be harrassment, you would be breaking the law... is it possible for this one time that you can get a taxi home?

Cost me about £17.

And i aint got it sadly. But i still work again the next morning.

All i can do is phone in sick

Chris W
07-09-2005, 20:14
:shrug: have 5 hours sleep and get the bus...

I work 45 miles from where i live and commute every day... so some days i get about 5 hours sleep but you learn to deal with it fairly quickly!!

Angua
07-09-2005, 20:14
I remember going to work after only a couple of hours sleep on several occasions at your age (chat someone up on the bus back to work in the morning to wake you up just before your stop for an extra 40 winks).

Silent Wings
07-09-2005, 20:15
Does anyone you work with live your way and could give you a lift ?

Bex
07-09-2005, 20:15
legally don't you have to have a certain amount of hours between the end of one shift and the beginning of the next? 10hours or something?

Angelus
07-09-2005, 20:16
:shrug: have 5 hours sleep and get the bus...

I work 45 miles from where i live and commute every day... so some days i get about 5 hours sleep but you learn to deal with it fairly quickly!!

But there is no public transport for me to get that early

Angua
07-09-2005, 20:17
legally don't you have to have a certain amount of hours between the end of one shift and the beginning of the next? 10hours or something?

Unfortunately the hours given are ok (longer only for night shift workers)

Bex
07-09-2005, 20:18
Unfortunately the hours given are ok (longer only for night shift workers)

ahh right, thank's for clarifying,,,, did try and google for it:D

Angua
07-09-2005, 20:22
ahh right, thank's for clarifying,,,, did try and google for it:D

Actually you are right see here (http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr5.htm#section5) but you can opt out if you do not work nights.

homealone
07-09-2005, 20:24
my 2p..

don't drive the car - it isn't harrasment if they only stop you the once it takes to nick you.

Ringing in sick is not advised, if you can manage not to - I get in trouble for calling in when I am really sick, and I bet I would get caught if I 'swung the lead'.

Is there any chance you could explain the situation to your manager & ask if you could 'get your head down' at work, for just that one night?

Ramrod
07-09-2005, 20:25
I have work tommorrow. Its just a 6pm-10pm shift. But i work about 13 miles away as i am planning on moving to the area. If i catch the bus home it will be 12am before i get home. I am then working the next day at 6am. I would get about 4-5 hours sleep.I know it doesn't help much but couldn't you have sorted this out sooner than the day before.........perhaps by getting a different community service location? The courts must be sympathetic to peoples need to keep their jobs while doing community service....

Angelus
07-09-2005, 20:28
I know it doesn't help much but couldn't you have sorted this out sooner than the day before.........perhaps by getting a different community service location? The courts must be sympathetic to peoples need to keep their jobs while doing community service....

My CS has not started yet

I only found out 10 minutes before this thread that my mom will not take me

my 2p..

don't drive the car - it isn't harrasment if they only stop you the once it takes to nick you.

Ringing in sick is not advised, if you can manage not to - I get in trouble for calling in when I am really sick, and I bet I would get caught if I 'swung the lead'.

Is there any chance you could explain the situation to your manager & ask if you could 'get your head down' at work, for just that one night?

Its a petrol garage that shuts at 11pm till 6am

homealone
07-09-2005, 20:45
Its a petrol garage that shuts at 11pm till 6am

- tell them you won't charge for the security duty ;)

- sorry..:)

I still think you need to find some way to crash near work, but not having any cash, doesn't help. The way your mum is talking, you almost qualify as homeless - is there an hostel anywhere near?

Jules
07-09-2005, 21:38
At your age it should not be a problem to manage on little sleep and buses normally start running at about 5.30 am. The one thing you must not do is drive the car!

Angelus
07-09-2005, 21:40
At your age it should not be a problem to manage on little sleep and buses normally start running at about 5.30 am. The one thing you must not do is drive the car!

I need to be there for 6am

Its longer then a 30 minute bus journey

Roy MM
07-09-2005, 21:44
I need to be there for 6am

Its longer then a 30 minute bus journey

Start walking. :walk:

Ramrod
07-09-2005, 22:14
Start walking. :walk:Thats not constructive Roy.....

Jules
07-09-2005, 22:15
As Roy says start walking and hopefully the bus will catch you up, it is the only way if you do not want to loose your job or get done for a long list of offences for driving the car :(

Ramrod
07-09-2005, 22:15
I suggest you talk to your mother and see if she would reconsider her position.

Angua
07-09-2005, 22:17
Can you not ring work and arrange a shift swap with someone? Most folks would be happy for someone else to do a Friday evening shift for them.

gooner4life
07-09-2005, 22:49
Or how about just get the bus and if you arrive late then apologise and make alternative arrangements for the future, it is'nt something to panic about, unless you have a history of poor timekeeping the odd occasion whilst still wrong will be ignored in general.

Jules
08-09-2005, 01:51
The other thing to remember is that you are more likely to get pulled if you are out in the car at "unsociable" hours

bopdude
08-09-2005, 02:30
The other thing to remember is that you are more likely to get pulled if you are out in the car at "unsociable" hours

Speaking of which, can't / won't your boss lay on a taxi service for employee's who are working unsociable hours ???? like they do in some pubs and clubs
failing that, as HM says, bike it, 13 miles should take you less than an hour and you'll keep fit into the bargain, I've just started biking again and do quite a lot of mileage ...... for my age :rolleyes: :D

:2cents:

Anonymouse
08-09-2005, 07:14
My CS has not started yet

I only found out 10 minutes before this thread that my mom will not take me

So she'd rather you ended up sacked or, worse, in jail? Is it just me, or does that seem rather harsh? Okay, you broke the law, but it's not as if you're not doing your best to make up for it, and you have a regular job.

Try explaining your situation to your boss to see if he'll arrange a shift change. When all's said and done, an employer wants his employees to be there; unless he's a jobsworth, surely something can be worked out for an employee who's genuinely having trouble getting to work, at least until you move. Or maybe there's someone who can give you a lift.

As to time between shifts, by the terms of the EU Working Time Directive, you're legally entitled to not less than 11 consecutive hours rest in any 24- hour period, irrespective of the length of the shifts. Not only that, it doesn't mean from midnight to midnight - it means any period of 24 consecutive hours (because, of course, a night shift would cover two weekdays). If you're finishing one shift at 10pm and starting another at 6am the next day, that's only 8 hours. Unless you've signed a document to opt out of the Directive, your employer's breaking the law expecting you to work those hours.

(Incidentally, there is currently massive pressure to remove the opt-out clause, for the simple reason that it is being widely abused in the UK - many workers don't know it's optional for each individual, and their unscrupulous employers don't want them to know. We're the only member state to have such a thing. Despite the Directive, we still have the longest working hours in the EU.)

I work nights, 10pm - 6am. This causes problems every year at Easter, since Good Friday is a bank holiday and our place doesn't do bank holidays...they don't want to pay double time or whatever, of course. ;) One year they got around this by having us do our usual 10-6 shift Wednesday night to Thursday morning, then a 4-12 shift on the Thursday, so we weren't working at any time during the bank holiday. The following year, I worked out when Good Friday would be and made bloody sure I booked the Thursday night off. At the time, though, neither we nor our boss had learned about the Directive.

The year after that, we did - and told them in no uncertain terms to get stuffed. They were still trying to claim it was only 8 hours we were entitled to - even after I took a hard copy of the legislation from a Health & Safety website. They even tried to claim the legislation wasn't current, or hadn't been implemented in the UK...in fact it was implemented in 1998.

So now we just work our normal hours...but the cheapskates won't pay us double for the 6 hours we work on a bank holiday. Gits.

Let us know how you get on.

Maggy
08-09-2005, 08:53
Borrow a bicycle.Surely this is the best and cheapest alternative in the circumstances until you can save up for a motorbike/moped which you can ride alone on a provisional licence.Yes I know you want to drive a car and would rather own a car but in the short term this is the best answer.The main thing is to keep earning and saving until you can move.Best to stick with small goals until you turn your life around.

Besides if you mutter about buying a motor bike I think your mother MIGHT just change her mind. ;)

Nugget
08-09-2005, 08:58
Where are you in Birmingham Angelus (I think I've asked you before, but I can't remember :dunce: )?

Most of Birmingham still has night buses on, so you may be able to work it that way

marky
08-09-2005, 11:24
try this http://217.171.103.34/default.jsp
it covers brum to:)

idi banashapan
08-09-2005, 12:06

11 straight hours, except when a worker is changing there shift and is therefore unable to take the full 11 hours:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/workingtime.htm

dilli-theclaw
08-09-2005, 12:07
So - what DID you do?

atlantis
08-09-2005, 12:47
One final suggestion, when you get to work, talk and ask if anyone lives near you or nearby, then see if you can carpool and get a lift, maybe share petrol costs with whoever's driving?
Anyway, good luck:tu: