PDA

View Full Version : Lodging at home

Roy MM
06-09-2005, 22:59
My 21 year old still at home, now my question....what is a fair rent for full board n lodging? he's working and gets 3-4 meals a day.

Ramrod
06-09-2005, 23:01
At least £50/wk.....

Mr_love_monkey
06-09-2005, 23:08
When I was at home, I was paying around 280 a month.

I guess a lot of it depends on what he can afford? - does he earn ok?

nffc
06-09-2005, 23:12
Nowt, he's 21.

Mr_love_monkey
06-09-2005, 23:14
Nowt, he's 21.
I started paying as soon as I started work, which was 21 after my degree

Martin
06-09-2005, 23:14
Nowt, he's 21.

I was going to say the same thing!

marky
06-09-2005, 23:18
Split the bills equally he's an adult :tu:

but i cant vote i get confused between dollars and pounds :)

Roy MM
06-09-2005, 23:19
Oh and BTW he has a BB connection to his PC, the nowt because he's 21........please elaborate.

punky
06-09-2005, 23:22
I'd say it depends on how much he earns. £50/week isn't a fortune though, I live alone and my grocery bill is £40/week normally.

Try not to be too hard on him though, if he is saving the money he isn't giving to you. If he is squandering it on booze and women, then be a bit more stricter, but if he is saving money, try and help him out as much as he can. Moving out costs a fortune these days, let alone actually buying your own place.

Chris W
06-09-2005, 23:24
Well, I don't know what the going rate is in your area, but the recent rents i have paid are:

SE London- £250pm
Wembley- £330pm
Hendon- £404pm
Those all included council tax and bills

Swansea- £152pm- room only
Hendon £1000pm- 2bed flat

I reckon you should charge the going rate for the area- given that you are providing food (and doing his washing...?? ) then that will be extra benefits for him of staying at home.

Mr_love_monkey
06-09-2005, 23:24
If he is squandering it on booze and women.......
... then he's a lucky so and so, and you need to charge him lots - I don't want someone else out enjoying themselves when I'm not :)

Roy MM
06-09-2005, 23:29
He's on £200 aweek, we do all his washing, cooking, change his nappy sort of thing lol

marky
06-09-2005, 23:31
give him the rent book and you give him £50 a week for a couple of weeks :Yikes:

nffc
06-09-2005, 23:32
Oh and BTW he has a BB connection to his PC, the nowt because he's 21........please elaborate.I'm that age and I would so not be able to afford to pay rent...

punky
06-09-2005, 23:34
He's on £200 aweek, we do all his washing, cooking, change his nappy sort of thing lol

That's not a fortune, if that's gross... i'd say £20-£40/week. So long as he is paying something really, and saving the rest. A bit more if he's enjoying himself.

marky
06-09-2005, 23:36
That's not a fortune, if that's gross... i'd say £20-£40/week. So long as he is paying something really, and saving the rest. A bit more if he's enjoying himself.

you can rent a 2 bed house for £60 a week up here :disturbd:

punky
06-09-2005, 23:38

Blood hell, what's wrong with it, is it on an ancient indian burial ground or something? :)

Don't forget he has food as well as rent, and has broadband & TV. It all adds when you live alone.

Roy MM
06-09-2005, 23:38

£200 net, Mum thinks he's paying enough at £25pw, but i say he gets more than my disability so why should i sub him. :shrug:

marky
06-09-2005, 23:39
just way cheaper cost of living :)

Roy MM
06-09-2005, 23:41

:erm: food, electric, gas, & water thown in no doubt.

marky
06-09-2005, 23:44

he's 21 not 12 he will never stand up for himself at £25 a week he needs to learn

oops thats not normal for me

Angua
06-09-2005, 23:45
When I was 21 (a quarter of a century ago arrrrgggghhhh) I was paying £20 per week (about a third of my take home pay) and I did my own washing and helped with the cooking and no computer either.

nffc
06-09-2005, 23:47

he's 21 not 12 he will never stand up for himself at £25 a week he needs to learn

oops thats not normal for me
Surely it's better to encourage him to invest his wages though, so then he can afford to get on the property ladder if/when he leaves home?

Charging rent achieves nothing, just make him help around the house.

Dave Stones
06-09-2005, 23:48
i live in a 3 bedroom house here.

rent -- £52.50 a week
utilities (phone, water, BB, telephone split between 3 people) -- £42.10 a month each
mobile phone £17.50 a month

if he gets everything thrown un its not unreasonable to expect to pay for his share of everything... £65 a week?

Angua
06-09-2005, 23:51
You could charge him £60 per week but save some of it for him so that when he does want to move out he has some unexpected money to fall back on and better control of his spending habits beforehand.

Roy MM
06-09-2005, 23:57
I've payed for all his driving lessons, estimate £300, plus two tests £100. i'm a mug i know.

Graham
06-09-2005, 23:58
My 21 year old still at home, now my question....what is a fair rent for full board n lodging? he's working and gets 3-4 meals a day.

I don't know, because it depends where you live and what the market rate are, however I'd check the tax position because I believe that his rent would count as income for you and thus be taxable and as he's a family member I don't think you could count it against the "rent a room" scheme.

kronas
07-09-2005, 00:02

are those fully cooked meals ie home cooked or prepared ?

personally if you want to charge you should split the bills on what he or she most uses, i can imagine gas, eletricity, water, telephone are the predominant things, but it depends on whether this person works too.

if you cant be bothered working things out then £250 - £300 per month sounds about right to me.

zing_deleted
07-09-2005, 00:04
21 and still at home. Some people do not know there born and with you on disability I say £50 a week. What else is there for a 21 year old to spend his cash on .He can still save 70 quid a week and have enough for his travel and a couple of nights out or 1 big blow out

kronas
07-09-2005, 00:04

ok just read this, i think it should be about £150, after all he is your son ;)

danielf
07-09-2005, 00:05
I don't know, because it depends where you live and what the market rate are, however I'd check the tax position because I believe that his rent would count as income for you and thus be taxable and as he's a family member I don't think you could count it against the "rent a room" scheme.

Then don't call it rent. He's paying for his share of the food etc.

Angua
07-09-2005, 00:06

Thing is though you are only passing on some/most of the costs incurred by him living there and should he lose his job he would not be able to claim benefit so the Bank of Mum and Dad would step in again. AFAIK you can rent out a room at up to £370pcm with no tax implications.

nffc
07-09-2005, 00:07
I've payed for all his driving lessons, estimate £300, plus two tests £100. i'm a mug i know.
Why are you paying for these though? He's earning enough to pay for what he wants, including driving lessons, I just don't agree with charging your own kids rent. Although I do see your point esp with the benefits, there are IMO other ways to contribute rather than money- he could for example pay the food shop for the week, or do stuff around the house, cooking / cleaning etc etc. 21's not too old to contribute.

Or, just make him pay expenses...

ikthius
07-09-2005, 00:32
he would roughly pay £200 a week on rent, then pay gas/electric/shopping/tv it all adds up, so show them what the real world is all about and charge £200 a month.

ik

punky
07-09-2005, 00:34

Who in their right mind would tell Gordon Brown in a situation like this? Thieving toerag bleeds us dry enough as it is.

zing_deleted
07-09-2005, 00:34
In days of yore parents would take it all and give him an allowance ;)

Angua
07-09-2005, 00:38
In days of yore parents would take it all and give him an allowance ;)

True. Ma in law had to hand over her wages on a friday after which she got given her bus fare to get to work and enough to go to the cinema once a week. Her mother still bought her clothes (well the material to make them as Ma in Law was a tailoress) and shoes.

homealone
07-09-2005, 00:42
<snip> I just don't agree with charging your own kids rent. Although I do see your point esp with the benefits, there are IMO other ways to contribute rather than money- he could for example pay the food shop for the week, or do stuff around the house, cooking / cleaning etc etc. 21's not too old to contribute.

oy - once the child benefit, or whatever it is called nowadays, stops, you pay your own way, matey - where does your expectation of a free lunch for the rest of your life come from? - kids should get chucked out of the nest early, in my opinion :erm:

Martin
07-09-2005, 00:44
I think i paid about 25 quid a week when i was 21! Funnily enough my Ma and Pa paid for my driving lessons too! Infact my dad bought my first car and insured it!! LOL

Angua
07-09-2005, 00:46
My former babysitter got kicked out of home at 16 soon after she finished school (well she was spending most of her time with her fella). No sentimental hanging on to children in that household.

punky
07-09-2005, 00:48
oy - once the child benefit, or whatever it is called nowadays, stops, you pay your own way, matey - where does your expectation of a free lunch for the rest of your life come from? - kids should get chucked out of the nest early, in my opinion :erm:

Christ Gaz... Surely there has to be some happy medium. Don't raise your kids to be scroungers but there's no saying you can't give them a helping hand up in life because you are in a better financial position than your kids. Like I said.. if he is putting money away into a savings account, then going easy on the rent won't hurt him. Hardly spoiling him rotten. If he is wasting it away, then charge him good money.

nffc
07-09-2005, 00:48
<snip> I just don't agree with charging your own kids rent. Although I do see your point esp with the benefits, there are IMO other ways to contribute rather than money- he could for example pay the food shop for the week, or do stuff around the house, cooking / cleaning etc etc. 21's not too old to contribute.

Define "free".

marky
07-09-2005, 00:51
Define "free".
you have 3 kids at 17 :disturbd:

Angua
07-09-2005, 00:51
So Roy what do you think so far?

nffc
07-09-2005, 00:53
Define "free".
you have 3 kids at 17 :disturbd:
No, that's "chav". Slight difference, the link being they get stuff for free ;)

Martin
07-09-2005, 00:57
So Roy what do you think so far?

If i was him i'd probably have the calculator out by now! :angel:

homealone
07-09-2005, 01:02
Christ Gaz... Surely there has to be some happy medium. Don't raise your kids to be scroungers but there's no saying you can't give them a helping hand up in life because you are in a better financial position than your kids. Like I said.. if he is putting money away into a savings account, then going easy on the rent won't hurt him. Hardly spoiling him rotten. If he is wasting it away, then charge him good money.

he is his fathers son :cool:

he is, also, living in a 3 bed terrace he bought for £52K - that is the other difference, prices where you are ....

Angelus
07-09-2005, 01:06
I pay £50 a month but i also pay the sky, phone and internet bill.

Mom uses all 3

marky
07-09-2005, 01:08
tbh my dad did everything for me from being 17

a lift to the army recruiting office
new haircut
and a lift down to woolwich
eee i love my dad :)

kronas
07-09-2005, 01:24

have some compassion! if it was my child then i would expect him to pay his way but you cant hold them to ransom! you have to fair and if it helps taking only the slightest of payments for a small wage then fine, remember the tax man will have the persons earnings first, then you, gosh it will feel like your paying tax twice ;)

Halcyon
07-09-2005, 01:35
If he's in your family, does it matter how much money he gives, as long as he contributes something.
Its not like you are running a hotel.
I'd say probably £100 - £150 per month is a fair amount.

homealone
07-09-2005, 01:35
have some compassion! if it was my child then i would expect him to pay his way but you cant hold them to ransom! you have to fair and if it helps taking only the slightest of payments for a small wage then fine, remember the tax man will have the persons earnings first, then you, gosh it will feel like your paying tax twice ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=571065&postcount=47

kronas
07-09-2005, 01:37

i was just saying.....if hes loaded then ofcourse charge him full whack ;)

homealone
07-09-2005, 02:02

i was just saying.....if hes loaded then ofcourse charge him full whack ;)

nope , i was saying get you to something like lecturer at the college ;;)

kronas
07-09-2005, 02:11
nope , i was saying get you to something like lecturer at the college ;;)

what you want me to be a lecturer ;)

marky
07-09-2005, 02:12
:confused:

SMHarman
07-09-2005, 04:38
Surely it's better to encourage him to invest his wages though, so then he can afford to get on the property ladder if/when he leaves home?

Charging rent achieves nothing, just make him help around the house.
But if he is not saving and you take the money and invest it. I know of some parents that have charged rent and when the child has moved out has given them the rent cheque to help furnish the new home.

Though if you are feeding they should at least be buying their food. I think about 15 years ago I was paying my parents about £50 a week earning a fairly minimum wage and also paying about £1200 a year in rail travel too.

Jules
07-09-2005, 10:19
I think £50 a week is a fair amount Roy :)

bjorkiii
07-09-2005, 10:25
Anything less than £50 is wrong if the person is working full time and dont let them think £50 stops them from having to do any chores in the house as well.

Graham
07-09-2005, 18:22
I believe that his rent would count as income for you and thus be taxable and as he's a family member I don't think you could count it against the "rent a room" scheme.

Who in their right mind would tell Gordon Brown in a situation like this? Thieving toerag bleeds us dry enough as it is.

So you are recommending people attempt to evade their taxes...?

Maggy
07-09-2005, 18:28
I'm the wrong person to ask.I left home to go and train as a teacher at 18/19.I never back home to live.I was out in the harsh world at 21.. :)

SMHarman
08-09-2005, 04:08
So you are recommending people attempt to evade their taxes...?Realistically you could easily apportion this as a contribution to household bills, food etc and come up with a 0 figure if the taxman bothered coming after you.

ian@huth
08-09-2005, 11:25
I would give him a choice.

Pay you one third of his net pay for full board and lodgings on the condition that he gives you a further third to put in a savings account for him. If not acceptable then set board and lodgings at half his take home pay.

He has to learn to budget and pay his way so don't make things too easy for him.

What is his idea of what he should have to pay?

Roy MM
08-09-2005, 11:31
He begrudgingly gives £25pw, yet he can go to a rave and spend £100 in one night. :shrug:

Nugget
08-09-2005, 11:31
he is his fathers son :cool:

he is, also, living in a 3 bed terrace he bought for £52K - that is the other difference, prices where you are ....

Although, in fairness, you have been trying to get rid of him since he was 15 ;) :p:

punky
08-09-2005, 11:43
He begrudgingly gives £25pw, yet he can go to a rave and spend £100 in one night. :shrug:

That's absolutely outrageous. Don't give an inch then. I'd ask for much more than £25/pw. If he doesn't like it, he could move out and find out what a good deal he is getting at home, especially when he doesn't have to pay council tax, rent, TV subscription + TV license, phone, broadband, house insurance, etc. He is barely covering his food intake with that.

orangebird
08-09-2005, 12:06
£200 net, Mum thinks he's paying enough at £25pw, but i say he gets more than my disability so why should i sub him. :shrug:

If he's not trying to save to leave home etc, charge him a third of whatever he earns. My parents did that to me, and I was never any worse off. As soon as I wanted to move out, they reduced it so I could save more. Your son at the mo is being spoiled rotten IMO. He'll never appreciate bill paying and prioritising if you don't start teaching him. :shrug:

£70 quid a week. That still leaves him £130 a week to play with - a damn site more than I have... :erm:

Angua
08-09-2005, 12:32

Put your foot down with a firm hand and insist on at least £50 per week. At his age he should at the very least be paying his way (if he moved out it would cost him more and he would have to fend for himself)

When I was taking home around £140 pw I was paying £50 in 1985 and doing all the household washing and some of the cooking.

handyman
08-09-2005, 12:56
I'd say £50 a week as well. My folks charged me £125 pm but gave me a lot back.

We stay with c's folks at the moment and pay £350 per month.

Martin
08-09-2005, 13:01

Then its time to get more rent!

ian@huth
08-09-2005, 13:14
Then its time to get more rent!Why not put a price list on the table when he next sits down to eat.

MEALS
Breakfast £1
Lunch £2
Dinner £3
Supper £1

LAUNDRY
Shirt 50p
Socks 25p
Bed linen £2
Other items 50p each

ENTERTAINMENT
TV £2 per week
Internet at cost
Telephone £1 per weeek + call charges

CLEANING
Room clean £3

ACCOMODATION
Bed £1 per night
Electricity £1 per day
Heating £1 per day
Taxes £1 per day

GRATUITIES
10%

Martin
08-09-2005, 13:59
Why not put a price list on the table when he next sits down to eat.

LOL That's not a bad idea!! :p:

ian@huth
08-09-2005, 14:12
LOL That's not a bad idea!! :p:Could even put a further column in with comparison prices.

Lunch £2 (Lunch at McDonalds £4)

Even if there is no intention to charge him the prices it would probably get him thinking that he is a cheapskate when he adds up what it would cost at the price list prices.

Graham
08-09-2005, 14:13
Why not put a price list on the table when he next sits down to eat.

My mother always used to bring up the song"No Charge" (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricsb/barrie.html).

To which my reply was "It's not my fault if you've got no business sense" :D

Maggy
08-09-2005, 14:25
Put your foot down with a firm hand

I hope Roy is a contortionist. ;)

Look Roy whatever happens it has to be agreed between you,your wife and your son.The only way to deal with this is to have a full and frank discussion between the 3 of you.Marshall your arguments,back it up with some research and reach an agreement that suits everyone.At the end of the day he IS your son but you can't sub him for ever.However if he is ever to afford to leave home then he has to learn the economics of real life.Some leeway in what he pays will be required if he needs to raise the down payment for rent or to buy but it has to be fair to you and your wife.

Only you three can work out what is equitable. :tu: You need to have the courage to raise the subject with your wife and your son. :erm:

Jules
08-09-2005, 14:26
Go on Roy you can do it tell him you want £50 a week off him board and wait for the fireworks to start, but stick to your guns it is a fair price :tu:

Nugget
08-09-2005, 14:28
Alternatively, tell him that you want 100 quid a week, and then let him haggle it down to 50. That way, he feels that he's got a better deal (and negotiating skills are always useful ;) ), while you get what you wanted anyway :disturbd: