PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with phone line please.

goldoni
06-09-2005, 16:33
I have a NTL phone line that has worked ok without a problem from day one. The other day I was off sick and noticed the phone rang once so I picked up the handset and found a person on the other end of the line.

I then phoned this number with our other line (fax) and it sounded like it went straight to an answer phone without any message, the line is being kept open.

So thinking it could be a problem with some of my equipment I un-hooked all the extensions leaving just the A & B wires going to one phone. Same problem.

I then took the phone off line so no equipment was connected. Same problem if this is done to a normal working line the line will just keep ringing, but mine is being picked-up after one ring as if someone is picking-up the call.

I then tried to get through yesterday to report the problem, but by the time they answered the fault had cleared so I asked for a line manager to return my call, this never happened.

Today 6-9-05 about the same time the same problem has occurred. I have phoned to report the problem but you are just talking with a call centre. My problem is if they send out an †œengineerà¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚à  the fault will not be on the line and it will be wasted time for both NTL and myself, and no doubt they will charge me £25.00 for a wasted call.

Today the problem has resolved itself by 16:15hrs about the same time as yesterday and I think it started about 15:15Hrs which is quite strange. :confused:

Saneboy13
06-09-2005, 18:36
Hi Goldoni,

The fault you have described sounds like "Ring Trip". It can be caused by a faulty line card, extensions, earth's or shorts on the drop. I know you have ruled out internals, so that would leave the drop cable to your house, i.e short or earth, or it could come from the line card.

I would still put the call through, and just ask for the line to be tested for earths and shorts, and ask for the possibility of the line card being checked out.

Hope this helps a little

goldoni
07-09-2005, 14:01
Thanks for the info, will do but the people who answer the phones say they are unable to test the line, only read from a flow chart,,,,,,

I did phone tech support for phone lines and spoke to a person who was more concerned that I did not have more than three pieces of equipment on the line and that if it is found to be no fault found or my phone equipment I would be charged £25.00.

I did point out to him that I had removed all extensions leaving just the A & B wires as described, to which he stated he did not understand as he worked in a call centre and had no test equipment, he just took the calls and put the job through for an engineer to call.

While pulling my hair out silently so I would not offend this person I asked for a 2nd line tech support person to phone me, but no one bothered so I called back yesterday and asked to speak to a line manager who confirmed I would get a call back within 24Hrs. Well its now only two more hours and it will have been 48Hrs with no call back, pull my hair out even more silently,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will remain calm. :Yikes:

handyman
07-09-2005, 14:55
It does sound like a 'ring trip' fault, the call centre bloke may be a newbie thats replaced the trained faults peeps that will have covered your area at your local centre.

there are no tests that they can run on your line due to the fact that its optical most of the way. they can only query the switch as to your line state, It will probably show PLO (permanant lock out). If you have removed all equipment and tried 2x phones in the socket and iots the same then you require a tech visit to solve it. They will no doubt swap you to one of the spare pairs.

hm

goldoni
11-09-2005, 11:40
The problem has been sorted; it was an earth line fault in the roadside green cabinet so thanks for the advice and help.:tu:

Saneboy13
13-09-2005, 07:31
Hi Goldoni,

I am glad that they managed to sort the fault out for you. See? there are still some good engineers out there working for NTL;)