PDA

View Full Version : need help with phone line

parkie
02-09-2005, 13:24
Hi there I hope one of you geniuses can help me, I used to have two seperate lines, one for dial-up and one for normal phone calls. Now I'm on broadband I have no need for the second line and it has been cancel. Physically everything is still in place so can I go in to my brown box thing at the front of the house and connect the second line to the main phone line? What I want to do is have a fax machine plugged in at all times but I want it to be billed to my main phone line. I know this will involve rewiring but is it straight forward enough for an average Joe to do himself?

thanks for you help

parkie

Paul K
02-09-2005, 14:19
Erm any interference with the cabling/ wiring is frowned upon by NTL as should you get something wrong you will have to pay for an engineer to put it right.
Since you would be pairing identical wires it shouldn't be too hard though as long as you know which set of wires needs to be moved. Personally I would wait for a more technical person to answer though as you may cause yourself line noise problems.

marky
02-09-2005, 14:25
if you only have one active line then use a double adapter changing the wires outside wont give you a second line on the same number it would just be an extension of the one line :)

parkie
02-09-2005, 16:21
if you only have one active line then use a double adapter changing the wires outside wont give you a second line on the same number it would just be an extension of the one line :)
I quess an extension on my main phone line is what I'm after but I just want to use all the cabling and boxes that are already in place therefore rewiring in the brown box as apposed to internally. It just an extension that goes round the outside of the house instead of inside.

makes sense?

p

marky
02-09-2005, 16:30
it is totally possible but ntl wouldnt be happy with you inside there box

so its up to you :shrug:

Paul K
02-09-2005, 17:00
If you tamper with their equipment NTL will be annoyed to say the least if you drop a clanger. Can't remember what the going rate for an engineer call out is but re-wiring your external junction box is a no-no unless you know what you are doing and are confident you can do it without creating any problems with the connection or the wiring itself.