PDA

View Full Version : Harassment and intimidating a witness?

Caspar
30-08-2005, 20:53
Does anyone know the likely or possible court sentencing for a person charged with harassement and intimidating a witness?

btw, this isn't me! :)

...I understand that harassment could be comm service, fine and counseling... what about the intimidating a witness?

Paul
30-08-2005, 20:54
btw, this isn't me! :)We believe you ... honest ..... ;)

Oh, and no idea, sorry.

Russ
30-08-2005, 20:57
There's no possible way of predicting what the outcome might be. So much is taken in to account such as previous convictions, mitigating circumstances etc

marky
30-08-2005, 20:57
here you go :)

http://www.answers.com/topic/perverting-the-course-of-justice

Caspar
30-08-2005, 21:55
Cheers peeps :)

Chris W
30-08-2005, 21:56
According to Sweet and Maxwell Current Sentencing Practice (sorry no link- pay for access only)

Current Sentencing Practice and The Referencer from Sweet and Maxwell
Part B8 - Offences Against Justice
Part B8-2 - Perverting Justice
Section B8-2.1 - Maximum Penalties
Copyright (C) Sweet & Maxwell, Ltd.
This material was last updated January 16, 2001

Maximum Penalties

B8-21001

Perverting public justice
Intimidating Witness (Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, s.51)
AT LARGE FIVE YEARS

Nidge
31-08-2005, 04:55
Does anyone know the likely or possible court sentencing for a person charged with harassement and intimidating a witness?

btw, this isn't me! :)

...I understand that harassment could be comm service, fine and counseling... what about the intimidating a witness?

2 Years.

Bex
31-08-2005, 15:39
funnily enough cas, was talking to my uncle about this on saturday... he works for the Met.... he said courts really frown on any sort of witness intimidations.. and as nidge said above it can mean a prision sentence

Nidge
31-08-2005, 19:26
funnily enough cas, was talking to my uncle about this on saturday... he works for the Met.... he said courts really frown on any sort of witness intimidations.. and as nidge said above it can mean a prision sentence

There was a story in our local rag a few months ago about the same thing one guy got 5 years for intimidating a member of the Jury, the other one got 2 years for intimidating a witness.