14-10-2003, 15:55
I've decided to start a thread that has no references to:
sexuality
The stupid things Americans/Large companies do
Tax
Immagrants
Celebrities
Religion

So Ian Ducan Smith (who :confused: ) is facing a civil war in his own party. Should they back him no matter what or was he a mistake from the first place?

Your opinions

Xaccers
14-10-2003, 16:00
What civil war?
The media even admitted today that they don't even think there's an organised move against him!

There's probably more people in Labour against Tony than in the Tories against IDS

downquark1
14-10-2003, 16:04
What civil war?
The media even admitted today that they don't even think there's an organised move against him!

There's probably more people in Labour against Tony than in the Tories against IDS
Well, he keeps calling for his party to unite, repeatedly.

Also do you find his demonising of the government and Tony Blair too extreme or justified?

Chris
14-10-2003, 16:12
Never underestimate the ability of the media to follow a self-serving agenda. I believe impartial reporting of the facts is pretty well possible, and that it is possible to report the facts adequately well even if one has a certain point of view, but where the Tories are concerned, the BBC in particular is simply not interested in what's actually going on. The Beeb is generally anti-Government but it is absolutely anti-Tory.

I get absolutely fed up of the constant sniping Duncan Smilth gets from the BBC. f you listen to the ten o'clock news you would think there was outright civil war at central office. And the treatment IDS is getting at the hands of the BBC over these current allegations of impropriety in the employment of his wife as a secretary (something many MPs have been doing for decades if not longer) is appalling. The Beeb knew fine well as soon as it saw the story that it was on very thin ice indeed - that's why it refused to buy it from Crick and run it themselves, for 'legal reasons'. But they knew as soon as Crick handed the dossier in to Parliament that it would have a fairly free hand to report proceedings. Cynical, disgraceful, and all accomplished with my licence fee. I am not amused. :grind: ;)

Xaccers
14-10-2003, 16:17
Isn't there a parlimentary saying:
"Better to make your wife your secretary than your secretary your wife"

And I totally agree with you Towny about the BBC.
Of all news agencies, they should be the most professional, but they fall short

SMHarman
14-10-2003, 17:58
What civil war?

But then again there are more Labour MPs in the first place. Nothing a 4 line whip can't cure.

Atomic22
14-10-2003, 18:21
ids was a big mistake , the torys have been one big mistake since the day they stabbed maggie in the back and started the downward slide....they are nearly as laughable as the liberals now...i never voted since maggie went, until i switched sides and voted for tone who is a closet tory

Chris
14-10-2003, 18:57
ids was a big mistake , the torys have been one big mistake since the day they stabbed maggie in the back and started the downward slide....they are nearly as laughable as the liberals now...i never voted since maggie went, until i switched sides and voted for tone who is a closet tory

Exactly, he is a closet Blue...the only problem is, he's one of the few in his party that are. This is why I am worried the longer they stay in power, the more he is going to have to pander to the loony left in order to keep them sweet and keep himself in a job. Gordon Brown is already ramping up the old Labour tax-and-spend habit. He's been remarkably restrained so far but it's gonna get worse. I predict tax increases are not far away as Labour panics and starts throwing ever-increasing piles of cash at unreformed public services like the NHS.

Anyhow, this is meant to be a thread about IDS ... an interesting comment made about him the other day (BBC News of all places) is that he is apparently more 'right wing' than he is letting on. This interests me because what I want in a Prime Minister is someone who is not going to sign away any more of our sovreignty to Europe. Euro-scepticism is generally identified with the Right in the UK these days (although it wasn't 20 years ago - how times change!)

Xaccers
14-10-2003, 22:37
Just watching an interview with IDS over this wife thingy on the new, he's really ****ed off :)

aliferste
15-10-2003, 08:24
I've decided to start a thread that has no references to:
sexuality
The stupid things Americans/Large companies do
Tax
Immagrants
Celebrities
Religion

So Ian Ducan Smith (who :confused: ) is facing a civil war in his own party. Should they back him no matter what or was he a mistake from the first place?

Your opinions

Its Immigrants not Immagrants !!
;)