:idea: could this be one for your next lan party

TheBlueRaja
23-08-2005, 15:12
Your too old mate - its only aimed at us young heavy drinkers

aged 18 to 34

Like me :D

STONEISLAND
23-08-2005, 15:15
A beer made with caffeine is being launched in the UK amid fears it could fuel binge drinking.

:rolleyes: Has binge drinking not all ready started?

Nugget
23-08-2005, 15:19
:rolleyes: Has binge drinking not all ready started?

Nope.

Well, not unless you work for the police, the judiciary, the government or the Daily Mail anyway :disturbd:

Darkies Gem
23-08-2005, 15:29
Don't know what all the fuss is about!
If you think that in nearly every bar they sell VK which is basically a drink of vodka fruit juice and caffeine, and also a lot of vodka redbull is sold.
This won't change much really.
Also if you think how vodka tends to turn people nasty after a few drinks.
A vodka drinker is likely to get more aggressive than a beer drinker. Well when this new BE stuff enters the world, it will be a big craze at first, and may perhaps stop some aggressivness....maybe?

Halcyon
23-08-2005, 15:34
That looks like it would taste disgusting IMO !!!

Maggy
23-08-2005, 15:36
I can't help thinking we would get MORE psychotic behaviour. :(

Nidge
23-08-2005, 20:01
More trouble on the streets I'd say. Instead of it being at 2am the Neanderthals will be causing trouble at AM. I've just watched a programme on Central Extra about binge drinking and the effects of 24 hour opening, did you know that 28,000 people die of premature deaths due to alcohol? DId you know that the drinks companies make £30 billion per year and put nothing back into policing of the binge drinking culture?

2 easy steps to stop binge drinking.

1. Make it £5 per pint like it is in Norway, they have no trouble over there.

2. Make the drinking law 21.

There you go a simple solution to a big problem..

Maggy
24-08-2005, 00:15
More trouble on the streets I'd say. Instead of it being at 2am the Neanderthals will be causing trouble at AM. I've just watched a programme on Central Extra about binge drinking and the effects of 24 hour opening, did you know that 28,000 people die of premature deaths due to alcohol? DId you know that the drinks companies make £30 billion per year and put nothing back into policing of the binge drinking culture?

2 easy steps to stop binge drinking.

1. Make it £5 per pint like it is in Norway, they have no trouble over there.

2. Make the drinking law 21.

There you go a simple solution to a big problem..

No it won't.It will drive it underground.More homemade brew and we already have an underage drinking problem.What is needed as has been mentioned in the drugs thread is better education and a different attitude towards drunkeness/being high.That's what we need zero tolerance on.That it is ok to drink but not to excess and not so one is a nuisance to others when drinking/or under the influence of whatever drug of choice.

We also need to have zero tolerance on drink/drug driving.If you drink you don't drive.None of this you can have two units crap before getting behind the wheel. :mad:

marky
24-08-2005, 00:18
I think thats 4 units and yes its awfull but there are more people getting away with drug driving than drink (cannabis)

Maggy
24-08-2005, 00:25
I think thats 4 units and yes its awfull but there are more people getting away with drug driving than drink (cannabis)

Well that's even worse. :erm:

marky
24-08-2005, 00:34
Well that's even worse. :erm:

and the police cant test them like they do drink :mad:

Angua
24-08-2005, 01:16
Don't know what all the fuss is about!
If you think that in nearly every bar they sell VK which is basically a drink of vodka fruit juice and caffeine, and also a lot of vodka redbull is sold.
This won't change much really.
Also if you think how vodka tends to turn people nasty after a few drinks.
A vodka drinker is likely to get more aggressive than a beer drinker. Well when this new BE stuff enters the world, it will be a big craze at first, and may perhaps stop some aggressivness....maybe?

Not with my hubby. He gets really wound up on beer but on spirits he's ok!

marky
24-08-2005, 01:26
TBH i opened this thread because if you give me a few beers i go to sleep

i'm not nasty at all, if anything i go soft and "ahemm" weepy at movies
was that small enough :blush:
and yes i know a lot of people do turn nasty:td:

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 04:05

hmm wonder if we're related, i'm the same i only want my bed after a few sherberts, perish the thought of fighting, sounds like hard work :D

Nidge
24-08-2005, 04:52

Most people are the same Mark, if all the drinkers were like that we'd be ok.

No it won't.It will drive it underground.More homemade brew and we already have an underage drinking problem.What is needed as has been mentioned in the drugs thread is better education and a different attitude towards drunkeness/being high.That's what we need zero tolerance on.That it is ok to drink but not to excess and not so one is a nuisance to others when drinking/or under the influence of whatever drug of choice.

We also need to have zero tolerance on drink/drug driving.If you drink you don't drive.None of this you can have two units crap before getting behind the wheel. :mad:

It works well in other countries why not the UK? Oh sorry it must be our neanderthal state.

Maggy
24-08-2005, 12:04
It works well in other countries why not the UK? Oh sorry it must be our neanderthal state.

No it has more to do with the history of Customs and Excise which saw us having to pay more for imported cheap booze so that some royal jerk could fight more wars and live in his accustomed luxury.So we have been paying higher and higher prices for our imported and home produced versions of booze to keep successive governments with a steady tax income.Added to this the teetotallers deciding that booze was a great cause of evil among the poor and ignorant and because probably there was a war to win(again), licencing came into place and the places that we could buy booze became restricted to shorter opening times.

Time passed and the average British worker found that they had become wealthy enough to go abroad and found that other countries had never had something called Customs and Excise duty and so had cheaper booze than we did at home.We went mad as a consequence and the yobbish behaviour of our people when faced with such a cheap product was as we have already seen and we became legendary among the people of the continent.

Now drunken bahaviour in this country has always been associated with the manic opening times.People became drunk because they could only obtain booze at certain times and they went mad before closing time.Then we had something introduced called relaxed opening hours.Publicans found that they couldn't attract all the customers all the time many of whom were availing themselves of the new relaxed Customs laws on the amounts of booze they could bring back from abroad for 'private consumption'..so they introduced 'Happy Hour'.

We can all see where even more relaxed licencing laws will lead.The pub bosses will have longer hours in which to open but no more customers than they already do have at present.So will there be more 'Happy Hours'? Will it become a case of 'Happy Afternoon' or 'Happy Bank Holiday' or whatever they can come up with to entice a population that finds it cheaper to drink at home with the cheap booze they can buy abroad.

IF booze was cheaper here for all these years we too would have a much healthier attitude as a society towards alcohol as does the continent.But it was forbidden fruit for sooo long and I really can't see any government giving up the revenue from alcohol(and tobbaco) any time soon.After all they do appear to believe that if they keep it artificially high we can't afford to drink /smoke so much of it.

I'm really confused as to whom this relaxing of the rules is really aimed at as I can only see that it is to nobody's benefit UNLESS we learn to have a healthier attitude towards alcohol.So why don't we do more than hope that the charity AA can handle the problem.We need to have a really good rehabilitation scheme running for all abusers of all substances.Surely with the taxes raised from alcohol that is possible? :shrug:

P.S.The one redeeming thing about a regulated licenced alcohol industry is that it does produce a product that ISN'T unnecessarily poisoned and we won't go blind from drinking it.