PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have A Capri ???

CAPRI MAN
21-08-2005, 22:18
Hi folks I am new to this forum I am Capri mad does anyone on here have or ever had a Capri if so I would like to hear from them . Cheers Alex ;)

Chimaera
21-08-2005, 22:21
I had one - a MkII 1600. It was bright emerald green with Irish numberplates - oh the fun I had being stopped and asked if I'd heard about the Prevention of Terrorism Act! :rolleyes: (This was in the late 1970's btw)

Roy MM
21-08-2005, 22:25
Yep i was a Capri owner many moons ago.

AndrewJ
21-08-2005, 22:27
Not a owner but a fan of them but only the big engined ones.

Chimaera
21-08-2005, 22:27
It didn't handle very well in the wet IIRC - well in the dry either come to that! It was quite nice though - but I would have liked a 3 litre one! :Yikes:

AndrewJ
21-08-2005, 22:28
Lovely cars Chimera the 3litre's.

True motoring

Chimaera
21-08-2005, 22:29
Lovely cars Chimera the 3litre's.

True motoring
Yeah - one of the blokes I used to work with had one - very nice! I think it was his Dad's actually, but he never owned up to it ;)

CAPRI MAN
21-08-2005, 22:33
Do u still have any old photos of your Capri , I am looking for a good 3 litre S thats the bees knees but they are getting hard to find now. I have a 2 litre laser ATM she is mint but not got enough power. I know what u mean about the handling in the wet but I think thats half the fun I just love getting the back end out on the roundabouts. ;) ;) Cheers Alex

AndrewJ
21-08-2005, 22:36
Who would, I would have if I only had the 1.6 laser would I own up.

me283
21-08-2005, 23:37
I had a few in my youth... a MkII 2.0, a MKII 3.0S, a MkIII 3.0Ghia and a MKIII 2.0. Great cars, great fun, and so easy to work on. But that was a long time ago... my days of youth and changing cars all the time!

cookie_365
22-08-2005, 00:07
My dad's got one - he's in his 60s :shocked:

No idea what kind though - I think it's V reg

AndrewJ
22-08-2005, 00:08
old v reg of course they dont make them anymore

Paul
22-08-2005, 00:11
I have owned two since I passed my test (in 1981) one was eventually stolen, the latter I sold (about 14 yrs ago).

Nikko
22-08-2005, 00:13
I had a 1600 x flow OHC late mark 1, 1974 - what a complete bag of poo! Its the only car I have bought from new, and the last ford I will ever own.

A design fault meant that the oil feed to the overhead cams failed. So after a spell it started 'clacking'. Knackered camshaft, followers and collets.

Ford in their infinate wisdom designed an overhead camshaft that could not be lifted out vertically - it had to be withdrawn longditudinally through the (dry, worn, noisy, oil starved) bearings. Fine. Except some less than moronic cretin designed it so that it only withdrew to the rear of the block, thus fouling the bodyshell bulkhead.

So you need to remove the whole head assembly, thus disrupting the timing, and requiring 3 special tools to do it.

I actually got quite good at changing the cam, followers, oil feed pipe and resetting all the timing. ford ( lack of capital is deliberate ) did it 5 times under warranty - I did it 7 times myself. I could do it in about 2 hours - ford's fastest response was 2 weeks.

The early 3.0 V6 ones were the devil to control, but luckily the engine mountings corroded and stopped them going anywhere before most owners were killed. I think the later laser 2.8i ones were better - but since the bottom has rusted out of pretty much all of them now, anything that passes an MOT should be snapped up.

Why not look out for a cheap but good Jag XJS? I did ;)

Richard M
22-08-2005, 00:17
Hi folks I am new to this forum I am Capri mad does anyone on here have or ever had a Capri if so I would like to hear from them . Cheers Alex ;)

My first (learning to drive) car was a 2.0 Mk III Laser.

marky
22-08-2005, 00:54
the guy who lives across the road from me is mad on them he as a 3.0s and a newer 2.8i

tail happy if you ask me but whatever tickles you ;)

Nidge
22-08-2005, 04:57
I used to have a 1.3 Capri, what a bag of nothing, no power hardly pulled you up a hill, I changed to a 1.6 that was a little better, I had that for 2 years then I got a 2.8i :D :D :D That was a monster.

Xaccers
22-08-2005, 11:28
How are they going to run when LRP is withdrawn as I heard they weren't very suited to LRP anyway...

Nidge
22-08-2005, 14:58
How are they going to run when LRP is withdrawn as I heard they weren't very suited to LRP anyway...

You can get a additive from most garages, they'll need to keep selling some sort of additive due to the amount of old cars still on the road.

marky
22-08-2005, 15:01

you change the cylinder head to one of a later engine sierra or the likes
(harder valves):)

SMHarman
22-08-2005, 15:06
You can get a additive from most garages, they'll need to keep selling some sort of additive due to the amount of old cars still on the road.
They are finding many not so older cars are running fine anyway. My 1.4 205 was supposed to require LRP but ran better on unleaded.

CAPRI MAN
23-08-2005, 19:46
I had a 1600 x flow OHC late mark 1, 1974 - what a complete bag of poo! Its the only car I have bought from new, and the last ford I will ever own.

A design fault meant that the oil feed to the overhead cams failed. So after a spell it started 'clacking'. Knackered camshaft, followers and collets.

Ford in their infinate wisdom designed an overhead camshaft that could not be lifted out vertically - it had to be withdrawn longditudinally through the (dry, worn, noisy, oil starved) bearings. Fine. Except some less than moronic cretin designed it so that it only withdrew to the rear of the block, thus fouling the bodyshell bulkhead.

So you need to remove the whole head assembly, thus disrupting the timing, and requiring 3 special tools to do it.

I actually got quite good at changing the cam, followers, oil feed pipe and resetting all the timing. ford ( lack of capital is deliberate ) did it 5 times under warranty - I did it 7 times myself. I could do it in about 2 hours - ford's fastest response was 2 weeks.

The early 3.0 V6 ones were the devil to control, but luckily the engine mountings corroded and stopped them going anywhere before most owners were killed. I think the later laser 2.8i ones were better - but since the bottom has rusted out of pretty much all of them now, anything that passes an MOT should be snapped up.

Why not look out for a cheap but good Jag XJS? I did ;) That mus be the most damming report I have ever seen about a Capri but it it's true what they say about the Capri you love them or hate them . I for one recon that they were and always will be the best cars on the planet by a Country mile .

I have tried newer cars (Vectra GLS, Toyota Carina, Renult Leguna,) and they were all boring with that stupid front wheel drive. I cannot think of a modern car that come even close to the Capri as for a Jag well I have never had one so I cant say anything about them apart from I like there looks . Cheers Alex;)

The one I have is a 1986 so it runs on unleaded because ford had the Wisdom to addapt there engines to run on unleaded before it came on the market. Cheers Alex

Nidge
23-08-2005, 20:10
I had a situation when I had my Capri, the valves were rattling due to unleaded petrol, I took it to the local Ford dealership and spoke to a mechanic, he told me to put £2 worth of diesel in the fuel tank every time I fill up. :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: I said your kidding aren't you? Nope it's the best thing to cure the valve rattle plus it coates the inside of your engine. Off I went to Esso, I filled up with petrol then put £2 worth of diesel in, it ran like a dream for years, no more pinking smooth as anything, the mechanic told me that years ago when old cars used to fill up at garages they used to ask for £5 and a squirt, he said the squirt was only diesel which made the care run smoother.

budwieser
23-08-2005, 20:26
Used to Drive a Tickford many, many moons ago! So much power!:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

homealone
23-08-2005, 21:09
I had a situation when I had my Capri, the valves were rattling due to unleaded petrol, I took it to the local Ford dealership and spoke to a mechanic, he told me to put £2 worth of diesel in the fuel tank every time I fill up. :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: I said your kidding aren't you? Nope it's the best thing to cure the valve rattle plus it coates the inside of your engine. Off I went to Esso, I filled up with petrol then put £2 worth of diesel in, it ran like a dream for years, no more pinking smooth as anything, the mechanic told me that years ago when old cars used to fill up at garages they used to ask for £5 and a squirt, he said the squirt was only diesel which made the care run smoother.

Interesting - the 'squirt' iirc was from a can of 'Redex' - I honestly don't know if it was actually diesel :dozey:

<edit> thinking about it, diesel is designed to 'pink', albeit at a higher compression ratio, but, the effect you noticed may be , simply, due to lubrication - again trusting my very dodgy memory, 'Redex' was described as an 'upper cylinder lubricant' - the diesel may have had the same effect?????

Jules
23-08-2005, 22:26
I had a boyfriend once that had a Capri, I was more upset when he changed his car than I was when he moved away..... I wonder what happened to him ? lol

Nikko
24-08-2005, 00:10
That mus be the most damming report I have ever seen about a Capri but it it's true what they say about the Capri you love them or hate them . I for one recon that they were and always will be the best cars on the planet by a Country mile .

I have tried newer cars (Vectra GLS, Toyota Carina, Renult Leguna,) and they were all boring with that stupid front wheel drive. I cannot think of a modern car that come even close to the Capri as for a Jag well I have never had one so I cant say anything about them apart from I like there looks . Cheers Alex;)

I am not damning all Capris - just the Crapi ford sold me in 1974 described above. I loved the look and the whole dream concept - but the performance (when it was not off the road awaiting a camshaft/follower kit/oil feed pipe/availability of a mechanic to diagnose which of these would prove to be unavailable) was disappointing at best. A friend had a 3.0 V6 which was the ultimate driving machine.

Ultimately he drove it into a lampost when the road turned left and the Crapi failed to respond.

The 3.0 had a 100mph front end and a 140 mph rear end. Nuff said.

Taf
24-08-2005, 01:08
I kept a Capri S Mk3 2 litre V6 from new to age 13... traded it in for a Lada when the rust set in.... the new owner only wanted it for the engine and gearbox... so her soul lives on....

marky
24-08-2005, 01:10
I kept a Capri S Mk3 2 litre V6 from new to age 13... traded it in for a Lada when the rust set in.... the new owner only wanted it for the engine and gearbox... so her soul lives on....

ha hem they didnt do one :erm:

basa
24-08-2005, 08:55
Yup, I had a 3.0L Ghia with a 'tickled' engine years ago. Great fun, very quick !

I pulled 132mph on M60 one time :Yikes:

Got ripped off at one stage but was recovered and I rebuilt with a stage 2 engine .. yummy. ;)

me283
24-08-2005, 12:14

Up until recently I drove an Audi TT... best car I have ever owned. Looks, style, power, performance, reliability... couldn't fault it. Only downside was being ripped off by the dealers for servicing etc.

CAPRI MAN
24-08-2005, 22:30
Hi Folks, Well it seems that most of you who owned a Capri at some stage were happy with them but I would love to know if any of you have some old photos of your capris if so please e mail me some.

Top gear did a survey a while back compairing some old car against some of the modern cars that have replaced them and the results were staggring. The older cars did not have so many extras such as ABS, power steering , and other gadgets which all add to the waight of the car so they are slower .

The 205 pugot was another good car far better than the nightmare cars they are bringing out now , na the old cars were the best take it from me . Cheers Alex,