PDA

View Full Version : Screens

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 15:45
Could have sworn Ikea sold them :erm: I need a screen - any ideas of online or high street stores that sell them? I could make my own from a few bits of wood and some material, but it's a hassle.

AndrewJ
21-08-2005, 15:46
Argos?

Matalan?

Index??

Bnq?

Focus?

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 17:22
Tried Argos - nothing. B&Q - I'm usually in there and haven't seen any screens. Index has gone. Not sure where Matalan is in Leeds :erm: Not heard of Focus - sounds like a camera shop :D

Roy MM
21-08-2005, 17:24
Try Fads, i'm pretty sure they do them.

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 17:25
To expand a little...

My bedroom window is sort of in a corner, so curtains are no good - not enough wall space to open them. I'm not keen on them anyway. At the moment I have a blind (the one that I can't spell and sounds like Vatican). I'm planning on re-arranging the bedroom to accommodate a large wardrobe, which means the bed will be nearer the window. I'm a bit worried about frightening the neighbours - at the right angle, you can see through the blind. So I thought a screen would do the trick - save me from being arrested :D

Jules
21-08-2005, 18:59
Put a net curtain up.....oh and let me know when you are next going to frighten the neighbours I may just need to be driving past at the time :naughty:

Paul K
21-08-2005, 19:35
What sort of screen are you after GC? Do you want it fixed or do you want something you can raise/ lower? Any chance of a pic of something similar to what you want?

Chimaera
21-08-2005, 19:38
Try putting 'room divider screen' into Google - some are expensive but there's quite a few on Ebay to look at. :shrug:
I'm sure I've seen them in Ikea too - weren't they made of the woven rattan type stuff? I'll have a look next time I'm in there (I must be due a visit soon!) :D

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 19:43
I'm think of a Carry on Matron type of screen, or maybe one like they had in the Wild West that ladies got dressed behind. Folding sort.

Chimaera
21-08-2005, 19:48
I've seen the Carry On types in charity shops - although I bet if I went to look now they'd be gone! :rolleyes:
There are examples of the folding sort on Ebay - don't make me look again because I'll see something I like and start bidding on it if I do!

Paul K
21-08-2005, 19:52
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/high-quality-wood-ROOM-DIVIDER-SCREEN-noble-design-NEW_W0QQitemZ4400071887QQcategoryZ3196QQtcZphotoQQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/high-quality-iron-ROOM-DIVIDER-SCREEN-noble-design-NEW_W0QQitemZ4400860820QQcategoryZ3196QQtcZphotoQQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Ebay looks useful ;)

Chimaera
21-08-2005, 19:53
Be careful what you put in to the 'search' bit on Ebay - you get playpens under that heading too! :erm:

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 19:53
Never used Ebay before :erm: What's that Chinese shop - Modo or something :scratch:

Paul K
21-08-2005, 19:55
How about this ;) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-Folk-Craft-Embroidery-Screen_W0QQitemZ7344581827QQcategoryZ98433QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 19:58
How about this ;) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-Folk-Craft-Embroidery-Screen_W0QQitemZ7344581827QQcategoryZ98433QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
It's a bit "me love you long time very good" :D

God I feel an old fart :( So this Ebay lark - is it sales and auctions too? I think I used to have a Paypal account :erm:

Paul K
21-08-2005, 20:00
Have you thought about using window frosting film to stop yourself from being on display? ;)

Roy MM
21-08-2005, 20:00

£138 postage :Yikes:

Paul K
21-08-2005, 20:02
Ebay is buy and or sell ;) Best thing to do is set a maximum bid and not be tempted to increase it lol Also make sure you know how much P&P is involved or if you have to go and get it. Other than that you may need to get sneaky as some people use an automated bid system which allows them to bid with less than a minute to go before the auction on the item ends so that no one else gets a chance to re-bid.

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 20:02
Have you thought about using window frosting film to stop yourself from being on display? ;)
Wouldn't it get stuck to my hairy bits? :p: Sorry :rolleyes: Anything plastic and sticky usually is a nightmare - forever chasing bubbles as opposed to blowing them. You'd still get shadows though. "That bloke at number 9 is doing the hoovering again" :naughty:

Paul K
21-08-2005, 20:04
Wouldn't it get stuck to my hairy bits? :p: Sorry :rolleyes: Anything plastic and sticky usually is a nightmare - forever chasing bubbles as opposed to blowing them. You'd still get shadows though. "That bloke at number 9 is doing the hoovering again" :naughty:
Just tell them you were using the extension hose ;)

Chimaera
21-08-2005, 20:07
It's a bit "me love you long time very good" :D

God I feel an old fart :( So this Ebay lark - is it sales and auctions too? I think I used to have a Paypal account :erm:
Yeah - you bid on an item and some g!t comes along and beats you to it at the last minute.
If it's something you REALLY want you can use something called Esnipe - I'm still in the 2 week free trial period offer - you tell it the maximum you want to bid and it automatically bids on your behalf, up to a maximum amount that you specify - but it bids in the last seconds of the auction. But Esnipe is something independent from Ebay - PM me for details if you like!

Flubflow
21-08-2005, 20:46
Never used Ebay before :erm: What's that Chinese shop - Modo or something :scratch:

"shoji screens" is the thing search for if you want nice looking lightweight oriental style screens.
Don't get the translucent ones unless you are intending to put on an erotic shadow puppet show starring you and "Mr.Willy".

greencreeper
21-08-2005, 23:24
I'm coming round to this ebay lark :erm: Bit complicated. I'm surprised that you can't just set a bid threshold and wait. You can with Comet's auction site. Looking at the listings, it has given me an idea for another place to get screens - Next. Not sure where Next is round here :erm:

Chris W
21-08-2005, 23:59
What's that Chinese shop - Modo or something :scratch:

Are you thinking of Muji? if so it is Japanese...

Flubflow
22-08-2005, 02:32
I'm coming round to this ebay lark :erm: Bit complicated. I'm surprised that you can't just set a bid threshold and wait. You can with Comet's auction site. Looking at the listings, it has given me an idea for another place to get screens - Next. Not sure where Next is round here :erm:

Well, that's precisely what you do do with ebay. You put in your maximum bid (ie threshold) and wait. The system will only increase the bids amount to the next increment. http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/bid-increments.html
It won't go to your maximum bid unless other people keep bidding up to or beyond it. You get informed by email if you have been outbid.

Some people just prefer to wait to the last minute to do all their actual bidding. This is because a) they don't want to attract attention to the item and/or b) there may be shill bidding going on where the seller may have a friend who hikes up the bid amount.

Roy MM
22-08-2005, 02:38
Ebay is buy and or sell ;) Best thing to do is set a maximum bid and not be tempted to increase it lol Also make sure you know how much P&P is involved or if you have to go and get it. Other than that you may need to get sneaky as some people use an automated bid system which allows them to bid with less than a minute to go before the auction on the item ends so that no one else gets a chance to re-bid.

Maybe why people pay way over the odds on the last minute bids, if several people are using the automated bid hack it can go sky high in seconds. :shrug:

greencreeper
22-08-2005, 08:57
Are you thinking of Muji? if so it is Japanese...
I always get confused between them. Yes - Muji :)

Maybe why people pay way over the odds on the last minute bids, if several people are using the automated bid hack it can go sky high in seconds. :shrug:
Auction fever. I'm used to bidding on the Comet site, having bought a washer and freezer (was nearly two freezers) from them. Maximum bid is always what I want to pay minus delivery. Some of the stuff on the Comet site sells for almost its normal price - madness.