PDA

View Full Version : NTL Email and GPRS

grahamc
13-10-2003, 10:26
Has anyone tried this and had it working. Work have blocked webmail so I can check on mail comming in to NTL which I use as a work account.

Any ideas on how to get this working..

Thanks

ian@huth
13-10-2003, 10:35
I have thought about using my Nokia 3650 to get e-mail on GPRS but with the volume of spam there is and the state of NTLs mail servers I don't think I'll bother.

Look on your providers website for details and check it out on Google.

dr wadd
13-10-2003, 10:50
Have your work blocked all webmail services, or just the NTL one? If it is just the NTL service you could give www.mail2web.com a try.

Chris
13-10-2003, 10:56
Has anyone tried this and had it working. Work have blocked webmail so I can check on mail comming in to NTL which I use as a work account.

Any ideas on how to get this working..

Thanks
I have never managed to make my NTL webmail work on a mobile device, but that's not to say it can't be done ...

What I do know is that you can set up a mail client to receive @ntlworld.com email on a mobile device, but you can't send any mail back out. NTL's SMTP servers won't allow relaying (sending messages from outside the network). I have a freeware client app called MsgAgent on my Palm m515 which receives all my POP mail just fine, but can only send mail on my paid-for dotmac addy, as Apple's SMTP mail servers do allow relaying.

Dooby
13-10-2003, 11:17
as a rule of thumb, you should always use the SMTP server for the connection you are on, NOT the smtp server that relates to the email address.
i.e. to send mail on a bt dial up, use the bt dialup SMTP server for ALL outgoing mail regardless of who the email address is with.

think of POP3 ( incoming ) like your letterbox on your door, and the SMTP server as the post box nearest your house... BUT with the added rule that you are only allowed to post mail in the postbox that is nearest to your house. If you go to someone elses house, you have to use the post box nearest to their house... but your incoming mail will still go to your letterbox...
ok..that isnt really a simplification is it...
i'll get my coat...

Chris
13-10-2003, 11:26
as a rule of thumb, you should always use the SMTP server for the connection you are on, NOT the smtp server that relates to the email address.
i.e. to send mail on a bt dial up, use the bt dialup SMTP server for ALL outgoing mail regardless of who the email address is with.

think of POP3 ( incoming ) like your letterbox on your door, and the SMTP server as the post box nearest your house... BUT with the added rule that you are only allowed to post mail in the postbox that is nearest to your house. If you go to someone elses house, you have to use the post box nearest to their house... but your incoming mail will still go to your letterbox...
ok..that isnt really a simplification is it...
i'll get my coat...
Nice in theory, not so good if your mobile ISP is Mviva, whose username/password/email set up is virtually impenetrable and whose website is less use than a chocolate teacup when it comes to discovering the appropriate settings. I don't complain 'cos it's free and I can still relay mail via my dotmac account.

However, you seem to be suggesting that I might be able to send mail from my @ntlworld.com addy using the mviva SMTP server (should I ever find out how to set it up!). Your description of how it works does make sense, but I have difficulty in believing NTL would allow it to happen. Presumably my outgoing mail would have to go into the NTL network at some point for verification that I am authorised to use that email addy? At this point, would NTL not just block the mail?

philip.j.fry
13-10-2003, 12:43
Your description of how it works does make sense, but I have difficulty in believing NTL would allow it to happen. Presumably my outgoing mail would have to go into the NTL network at some point for verification that I am authorised to use that email addy? At this point, would NTL not just block the mail?

It does work :) It's one of the problems why spam is so rife that outgoing mail is never checked for any authenticity. NTL block anyone outside not connected to their network from sending mail, but if you are connected to the network you can put any address in the from field and send it. For example, I use the NTL smtp server to send mail from my University account when I am at home.

Dooby
13-10-2003, 13:57
the email address you are sending from is just a piece of text in the envelope of the email, you can send FROM any email address via an SMTP server you have access to ( this is why it is so easy to fake the 'from' email address in spam, because it is the mail client that sets it)

the confusing thing that is made worse by the way email clients are setup is that the SMTP server really has very little to do with which email account you are sending email for, the SMTP server is to do with which ISP you are using at the time.
And yes, the basic answer is to find out what mviva's smtp server is, and set that on your phone for ALL outgoing mail

Alan Waddington
13-10-2003, 18:51
I regularly check my ntl email from my phone (on orange). If you have orange gprs, you can set your outgoing SMTP server to smtp.orange.net. Set your incoming POP address to pop.ntlworld.com as per normal.

Normally I use my pda via my phone & just upload headers. If anything important comes in, i ask the email app to get the bodies as well. This minimises the GPRS charges.

Have Fun

grahamc
13-10-2003, 19:21
thanks. I'll mess about and try...

And yes they have blocked all web based email.

Dooby
14-10-2003, 10:43
this might help
http://www.yes-but.net/mobint.html
it appears that MViva's SMTP server is mailhost.mviva.com
so you put that in for the smtp but put in the NTL ( or whatever ) details for everything else ( i.e. pop server, username, password, email address etc )

Chris
14-10-2003, 13:23
this might help
http://www.yes-but.net/mobint.html
it appears that MViva's SMTP server is mailhost.mviva.com
so you put that in for the smtp but put in the NTL ( or whatever ) details for everything else ( i.e. pop server, username, password, email address etc )
thanx, Ill give that a go! :wavey:

Defiant
14-10-2003, 13:59
I have thought about using my Nokia 3650 to get e-mail on GPRS but with the volume of spam there is and the state of NTLs mail servers I don't think I'll bother.

Haha you ain't kidding. I just checked my ntl account. The first time in over 4 months. It had over 100 e-mails on their all spam.

It beats hotmail for that hands down