PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this car?

ZrByte
18-08-2005, 21:18
I'm about to buy a car of a friends sister, it seems like an amazing offer to me, but I wanna see what you guys think first :)

Apparently Its a RENAULT CLIO 1.2I 5D EXPRESS Plus,
It has a very sporty look but im not sure if it is the sport trim,
Electric windows/mirrors,
Alloy wheels,
Full Renault service history (My friends sister is a renault employee)
19K on the clock,
2002 reg on a 51 plate,
the interior is in mint condition,
And its that sort of metalic sky blue colour.

Shes asking for £3K for it, sounds like a bargain to me, what do you lot think?

Xaccers
18-08-2005, 21:46
According to the AA, that car at below average condition is worth £3000, Clean it's worth £3800
Had a clio to drive when my laguna was having it's turbo replaced, lovely car, feels bigger inside than it looks, and quite economical for a petrol too.

ZrByte
19-08-2005, 14:57
Damn, My friend was wrong about the price of the car, Her sister still owes £3700 on the car so she wants at least that much for it. Though I can confirm it has a 12month MOT on it. It still sounds like a good deal to me though obviously not as good as before especially since it still falls under the price that Xaccers mentioned before. Any opinions?

Jules
19-08-2005, 15:01
Hmm I would be careful. Did she get a personal loan to buy the car or is the loan financed on the car?

ZrByte
19-08-2005, 15:05
Hmm I would be careful. Did she get a personal loan to buy the car or is the loan financed on the car?

Thats a good question, I'll ask that when I see her, though they are pretty well off so I dont think she has any plans to keep the money, im pretty sure she said it was going straight on the car to pay it off.

marky
19-08-2005, 15:07
I wouldnt touch it

paying top book for a car in a private sale with no warrenty
and of a friend allways a bad idea :nono:

Paul K
19-08-2005, 15:09
Doesn't matter what you think you need to be sure that the car (if you buy it) isn't coming with strings attached (ie old financing that could see the car disapearing suddenly one day).
Other than that the mileage is good on it, as long as the engine is in good nick and there isn't any damage to the bodywork you should be ok. Pricewise I'd pay attention to the prices quoted above and make sure you mention them to her if you are seriously looking to purchase the car.
Also have you looked into the cost of insurance for you on the car to make sure you know the true running cost of it?

orangebird
19-08-2005, 15:16
Damn, My friend was wrong about the price of the car, Her sister still owes £3700 on the car so she wants at least that much for it. Though I can confirm it has a 12month MOT on it. It still sounds like a good deal to me though obviously not as good as before especially since it still falls under the price that Xaccers mentioned before. Any opinions?

Your friend sounds a little naive if she thinks that she can ask for whatever she owes on a car. The car is only worth the market price - what she owes has nothing to do with the value of the car at all... :dunce:

tabatha
19-08-2005, 15:59
Surely the seller cannot sell the car untill she has paid any outstanding finance off...??? Legally the car is owned by whoever financed it....

orangebird
19-08-2005, 16:03
Surely the seller cannot sell the car untill she has paid any outstanding finance off...??? Legally the car is owned by whoever financed it....

Only if the loan is through HP. If an unsecured personal loan was taken out to buy the car, the owner can sell whenever they like..

tabatha
19-08-2005, 16:06
OK...so morally they cannot sell...??!!

orangebird
19-08-2005, 16:18
OK...so morally they cannot sell...??!!

If it's an unsecured personal loan, morals make no difference. If you have a car which you bought with a personal loan, and you sell it, changing the registered keeper vehicle document appropriately etc, and then you default on the loan, you'll still be liable for the debt as it's not actually attached to the car, it attached to the person who borrowed the money. The new owner of the car cannot be held liable. And the previous owner can be deemed stupid. :dunce:

I've never bought a car on HP, but I do believe that you sign up to certain t&cs restricting the sale of the vehicle for a certain amount of time and that any monies borrows through HP are attached to the car. This is why it's always sensible to get an HP check before you buy a car second hand.

Chris
19-08-2005, 16:28
As others have said - the car is worth its market value, not what your friend's sister still owes on it. If it's not worth £3,700, then don't pay £3,700. Personally I wouldn't, you wouldn't expect to pay the top price except to a dealer who will also give you a warranty.

She may have a wait if she insists on that price, and she may find that the car depreciates faster than she is paying off the loan.

Additionally, find out what kind of loan it is. If it's HP, walk away. She can't legally sell you the car until after she's paid off the HP. You do not want to be buying a car with outstanding finance secured on it!

Finally, never, ever, ever, buy a car off a friend, family or workmate. When it goes expensively wrong in three months, you will find your relationships strained. It's not worth it.

Chimaera
19-08-2005, 16:41
Finally, never, ever, ever, buy a car off a friend, family or workmate. When it goes expensively wrong in three months, you will find your relationships strained. It's not worth it.
I agree - my daughter wanted to but my Fiesta from me when she passed her test, which I did, against my better judgement - I had it serviced and MOT'd (although it wasn't really due for either) and the minute it went wrong, guess who felt resposible and ended up paying? :rolleyes:

gazzae
19-08-2005, 16:47
According to Autotrader its worth...

Renault Clio (98-) Hatchback 1.2 16v Expression+ 5dr
Hatchback 5dr
2002-51
Mileage 19,000

Dealer £5,969
Private £5,165
Part Ex £4,855
Trade £4,702
Cost New £8,870

Chris
19-08-2005, 16:48
How on earth are the AA and Autotrader so different on the price?! :eek:

marky
19-08-2005, 16:52
I would go on the autotrader site an see what people want for them

then phone up a few the week after to see if they sold it and how much for
cheeky but good ;)

orangebird
19-08-2005, 16:52
How on earth are the AA and Autotrader so different on the price?! :eek:

Parkers : 1.2 16v expression 5dr.

Cost New ('02) £ 8495
Franchised Dealer £ 5185
Independent Dealer £ 4855
Private Good £ 4125
Private Poor £ 3100
Part Exchange £ 3615

Jules
19-08-2005, 21:40
I think seeing as it is not the bargain you thought it was maybe you would be better off going to a garage and getting one with a warranty

ZrByte
20-08-2005, 02:19
I'm thinking your right really, shame, I really like the car too but I guess since I dont have the money to begin with Its no major loss. It still is a good price IMO but since its nowhere near as good a price as it was at the beggining I think I'm probably best staying away. Will just sit things out in my current car for now and see if anything else turns up, I might even enquire about this loan further but not take it out so that the option is there striaght away if another opportunity comes my way. Something may force my hand in the meantime such as another onetime offer or my current car going completeley capput (touch wood).

Only 2 months left until I get my first years no claims too so I think I will also be in a better positition then to make a better choice. Infact if I still have my car then I may considder keeping it a further year (Pending reasonable MOT result).

The main reason I want a new car is the amount of little things that bug me about my current car though these are also reasons why I probably wont be able to keep my current car a further year....
Drivers window winder is very stiff due to damage to the doorframe after some person bent the door back to break in.
Car gets hotter than the sun even in moddest sunlight.
High mileage = not much life left in the car.
Poor handling, I think something may be amiss with my tracking though I havent noticed any tyre wear that would prove this.
The speaker in the passenger door loves to switch itself on and off when traveling on the motorway, obviously a loose connection somewhere but I havent the patience to find it (the fault is so intermittent its hard to recreate when you are testing it).
The passenger side bonnet hinge rattles.
Theres a heavy fuel consumption problem. Its reasonable around town (30MPG) but its exactly the same on the motorway and thats just not right.
No tachometer (I dont know why but I just want one).
Very poor top speed acceleration on Motorway (probably not a fault, more likeley due to the rather weak 8v 33bhp engine, wich is further weakened due to the high mileage).
Have to keep checking the windows on the rear doors as they have a tendancy to wind themselves down (only slightly but its enough to stick something in the window to wedge it the rest of the way open), especially after longish motorway journeys (probably due to the vibration).
Clutch pedal makes a dodgy sound when pressed, cant actually tell wich part of it the sounds coming from though.
1st and 2nd gear are a pain to select, especially when the gearbox is cold.
Drivers seat is slightly broken and will likeley need replacing just to get through the MOT though I think it will probably need replacing sooner.

Need I go on?? :) :)

Jules
20-08-2005, 10:48
Oh dear I see what you mean, my car is old but I call the faults character :D As you haven't got long to go before you get your first years no claims you could use the time to shop around and perhaps get some thing nice but cheaper than the one you were thinking about buying..

Sorry that other one was not the bargain you thoughtit was you must be disappointed....when you do get some thing new please post a pic for us all to have a look :)