PDA

View Full Version : I've actually done it, just bought a GC

timewarrior2001
13-10-2003, 09:23
OK guys I have to admit it, I went shopping yersterday and noticed a GameCube for sale at £79.99 plus free mario sunshine isle game. Now my fiance is a huge Mario fan so I bought it.

I gotta say, the thing is pretty quick at loading games, but the games arent that graphically impressive. Now I concede that this maybe just the 3 games I have so far, which are the mentioned mario game, dave mirra BMX 2 and some dodgy motocross game that was only £7.99.

I was impressed to discover the pack also contained a mem cartridge, as I had no idea the GC needed these lol.

Can anyone recommend any games that couold convince me to stop playing on my Xbox and start using this GC???

downquark1
13-10-2003, 09:32
I gotta say, the thing is pretty quick at loading games, but they games arent that graphically impressive. Now I concede that this maybe just the 3 games I have so far, which are the mentioned mario game, dave mirra BMX 2 and some dodgy motocross game that was only £7.99. You can't take third-party games as an example of what the gamecube is capable of, they don't spend much time developing the engine.

Since Nintendo were loyal to cartragies they have been used to quick loading, this is one of the things they promised would remain during the transfer to cds.

May I recommend Metroid Prime and Zelda.

timewarrior2001
13-10-2003, 11:49
You can't take third-party games as an example of what the gamecube is capable of, they don't spend much time developing the engine.

Since Nintendo were loyal to cartragies they have been used to quick loading, this is one of the things they promised would remain during the transfer to cds.

May I recommend Metroid Prime and Zelda.

Thanks for that downquark.

Come on guys I thought the GC was popular here.
There must be more recommendations than Metroid prime and zelda.

TigaSefi
13-10-2003, 12:50
Madden 2004, Timesplitters 2, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Buffy Chaos, Freedom Fighters, Tiger Woods 2004, Viewtiful Joe, Conflict Desert Storm 2, Eternal Darkness, Super Monkey Ball 1+2 for starters. Some of them aren't out yet but will be in the next month or so. Amazon.co.uk has nice pre order prices for the new ones. i throughly recommend Soul Calibur II if you like them kind of games.

Also on players choice I recommend Super Smash Bros and Pikmin for sheer enjoyment. Metroid Prime is now Players choice (16.99) and here the full list.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/3677831/ref=br_bx_1_c_1_1/026-1938983-6289245

timewarrior2001
13-10-2003, 14:41
Madden 2004, Timesplitters 2, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Buffy Chaos, Freedom Fighters, Tiger Woods 2004, Viewtiful Joe, Conflict Desert Storm 2, Eternal Darkness, Super Monkey Ball 1+2 for starters. Some of them aren't out yet but will be in the next month or so. Amazon.co.uk has nice pre order prices for the new ones. i throughly recommend Soul Calibur II if you like them kind of games.

Also on players choice I recommend Super Smash Bros and Pikmin for sheer enjoyment. Metroid Prime is now Players choice (16.99) and here the full list.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/3677831/ref=br_bx_1_c_1_1/026-1938983-6289245

Thanks tigasefi.
My main problem is that my machine is the Xbox and PC, now you all know I have poked fun at the GC, and that I have stated that developers are becoming less interested in it. I still stand by this.
I think I will stick to Conflict Desert storm 2 on the Xbox, I dont know for sure but I dont think the GC could impress me quite as much as Xbox.
Saying that as I have said before its a neat little machine, I am fairly impressed with it (not bad considering I hated it). I like the price, I liked the fact I bought a game for £7.99. I like the fact theres no 2 year old halo still selling for £34.99 or £29.99 used.

Pimkin seems the kind of game I would buy, I know this will annoy people but the GC will be used mainly for cutsey games for the fiance (the main reason I bought the GC).

I love the design of the GC, and I notice it has a highspeed port and a place to connect a 56k Nintendo modem. The high speed port is this for LAN or cable modem support?
I'd hate to think that the GC wa slimited to a 56K dial up modem.

TigaSefi
13-10-2003, 15:29
It supports both LAN and Broadband. The LAN will be especially useful for connecting to 2 GC's and thus 8 player shenagans on Mario Kart and F-Zero. The Online capabilty is there but Nintendo wants to get it right first time. That why they categorically say there no broadband/online plans. It doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother you too either since you got an X-Box. But most if not all 1st Party games are worth getting. Just get the exclusives then, they still worth their weight in gold.

TigaSefi
13-10-2003, 15:38
And don't dismiss games for bein' too cute, more often than not, there a devil of a game under the coat and will reward you with great gameplay.

TigaSefi
14-10-2003, 13:16
Just ordered the platinum one for meself hehe wicked, I'll put the purple one at my parent's house and I'll just carry the games between the two hehe, saves lugging it all about.

Jarandco
14-10-2003, 16:08
The platinum one is very nice ive had it since it came out all nice and shiny and goes well wid the silver gba sp!

Id recommend zelda and metriod aswell plus mario kart which comes out soon! :)