PDA

View Full Version : Oscar 2020 Nominations

General Maximus
20-11-2019, 18:28
Attached is a thumbnail for an easy to view sheet of nominations by category. I have tried embedding the full sized jpeg in this post but for some reason it is being scaled down which renders it unreadable. Have a look, let us know your thoughts and who you would like to see win in each category.

Damien
21-11-2019, 11:27
Best film is really hard. There is not yet any outstanding contender. Jo Jo Rabbit is good but unlikely to win, might get a nomination though. Ford vs Ferrari probably not.

I've not seen Marriage Story but that's getting excellent reviews.

Joker should get a nomination.

At the moment I think it'll be between Once Upon A Time and The Irishman.

denphone
21-11-2019, 15:05
l would love to see The Joker or The Irishman win it.

Damien
13-01-2020, 14:18
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/2020-oscar-nominations-list-academy-awards-nominees-1203461985/

Full list above.

Joker is ahead and looking to the most critically acclaimed Superhero film.

Best Picture:

“Ford v Ferrari”
“The Irishman”
“Jojo Rabbit”
“Joker”
“Little Women”
“Marriage Story”
“1917”
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
“Parasite”

Paul
13-01-2020, 15:23
Im sure the oscars will be the usual, pat each other on the back, nonsense.

The best film ? Well it was, of course, Avengers:Endgame. :)

Statements like this just irritate me ;
Female filmmakers were entirely shut out of the best director race.
They were not "shut out", they just didnt direct any good films.

(I cant even think of a female director off the top of my head).

Damien
13-01-2020, 16:41
Well, Greta Gerwig directed Little Women which was good enough (in the voters' eyes) to get a Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay (for Gerwig herself), Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress nomination. Considering how many of the 'top' awards the film itself was nominated for and that she was the driving force behind the film in that she wrote it as well it is unlucky she didn't get nominated. She likely only just missed out.

I think Lulu Wang is unlucky that The Farewell didn't get anything but that's not as a big a snub. It's really Gerwig not getting the nomination that people will be surprised/focused on.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Parasite is interesting though considering how many of the other awards it's in. Could be the first foreign film to win?

pip08456
13-01-2020, 16:55
Im sure the oscars will be the usual, pat each other on the back, nonsense.

The best film ? Well it was, of course, Avengers:Endgame. :)

Statements like this just irritate me ;

They were not "shut out", they just didnt direct any good films.

(I cant even think of a female director off the top of my head).

What about black, asian, LBQTB directors?

Damien
13-01-2020, 16:59

Bong Joon Ho got nominated for Parasite. South Korean Director.

pip08456
13-01-2020, 17:12
Bong Joon Ho got nominated for Parasite. South Korean Director.

I think you missed the point, hey-ho.

Hugh
13-01-2020, 17:54

LBQTB - Lively Brilliant Questioning Tolerant Bashful directors?

General Maximus
13-01-2020, 18:43
I cant even think of a female director off the top of my head).
Patty Jenkins did Wonder Woman. I completely agree with you though, every year they whine about black directors, or female directors or something else. You are supposed to win based on merit and not because you made a shit film but you are female so we are going to give you an Oscar. Congratulations for being female.

Damien
13-01-2020, 18:58
Patty Jenkins did Wonder Woman. I completely agree with you though, every year they whine about black directors, or female directors or something else. You are supposed to win based on merit and not because you made a shit film but you are female so we are going to give you an Oscar. Congratulations for being female.

That's not the argument though.

Their argument is that minority demographics do not get recognised in proportion to their success. The exact opposite of an award based on merit. If Little Women is considered one of the best films of the year, one of the best written films of the year and with some of the best performances of year then even if it were directed by a man people would be commenting on the Director not getting a nod.

Hugh
13-01-2020, 19:09
The problem is that the money people use circular reasons for the lack of female directors :-

a) very few women directors have made award-winning or high box-office earning films
b) we can’t risk giving films to women to direct, as they have no track record making films that will win awards or make lots of money
c) go to a)

Damien
13-01-2020, 19:28
The problem is that the money people use circular reasons for the lack of female directors :-

a) very few women directors have made award-winning or high box-office earning films
b) we can’t risk giving films to women to direct, as they have no track record making films that will win awards or make lots of money
c) go to a)

True although the Oscars aren't as influenced by box office numbers that much so it's less of a disadvantage. There is now a lot more money for 'mid-tier' films. Greta Gerwig did well with Ladybird both critically and commercially so she was given a bigger budget for Little Women which has also been a success.

Patty Jenkins has been mentioned too, she'll is getting DC money for Wonder Woman 1984. The sisters behind the Matrix would have no problem getting funding either.

So it is slowly changing. It's mostly the official awards that allude them for now. Reviews and commercial success is largely there.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Anyway I think this year there is a genuine toss-up for Best Picture. Could be: 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman or Joker IMO.

General Maximus
13-01-2020, 20:42
Well this is infuriating. I have made my usual table summarising the nominees and for some reason no matter what resolution I size it to it is being displayed in a fixed unreadable size.

denphone
15-01-2020, 05:58
True although the Oscars aren't as influenced by box office numbers that much so it's less of a disadvantage. There is now a lot more money for 'mid-tier' films. Greta Gerwig did well with Ladybird both critically and commercially so she was given a bigger budget for Little Women which has also been a success.

Patty Jenkins has been mentioned too, she'll is getting DC money for Wonder Woman 1984. The sisters behind the Matrix would have no problem getting funding either.

So it is slowly changing. It's mostly the official awards that allude them for now. Reviews and commercial success is largely there.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Anyway I think this year there is a genuine toss-up for Best Picture. Could be: 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman or Joker IMO.

l hope they give the Best Picture to The Joker but somehow l doubt that they will.

General Maximus
15-01-2020, 18:13
I'll let you know when I have seen it. I have made a list of 15 films I want to work my way through including all of those nominated for best picture. I watched 1917 today and thought it was very average. The best thing about it was the way it was filmed. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a true story I would say don't bother watching it. I hope there are a few surprises in the bunch but the ones I am looking forward to watching the most atm are The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood. I don't know anything about the character/person but I love Tom Hanks.

Damien
15-01-2020, 19:55
I really liked 1917. It's not just the impressive technical achievement but the way it looks, the tension, the music and the way you're involved with these specific characters all the way though it.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood I enjoyed but be warned it's a very slow burner as a film. It's mostly about the environment, the relationships and the characters rather than a story that hooks you in.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood is also good and interestingly Tom Hanks and the character of Mister Rodgers are supporting the main character and actor whose a man going though a hard time that develops a friendship with Mr Rodgers. Rogers himself is only explored though this journalists eyes so it's different to what I was expecting.

As for the others I have seen of the 'Best Picture' candidates I would rank em:

1. 1917
2. Joker
3. JoJo Rabbit
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Little Women
6. Ford vs Ferrari

Need to watch Parasite. Will try and watch The Irishman but 3 hours - urh.

denphone
15-01-2020, 20:41
You need to watch The Irishman in two parts in my opinion as we took a tea break for a fair while and then watched the second half.

Damien
15-01-2020, 21:05
I should have caught it whilst it was in the cinema. I don't have the attention span unless I am forced by the environment to commit to it.

General Maximus
21-01-2020, 21:51
You need to watch The Irishman in two parts in my opinion as we took a tea break for a fair while and then watched the second half.
tell me about it, I thought Once Upon a Time was enough at 3 hours but when I saw The Irishman was three and a half hours I took a deep breath. I will watch it all in one go but it is going to be during the day on a day off. I think the only films I have ever watch which are that long are the extended editions of LOTR and maybe the extended edition of one other film which I can't remember.

denphone
22-01-2020, 05:16
tell me about it, I thought Once Upon a Time was enough at 3 hours but when I saw The Irishman was three and a half hours I took a deep breath. I will watch it all in one go but it is going to be during the day on a day off. I think the only films I have ever watch which are that long are the extended editions of LOTR and maybe the extended edition of one other film which I can't remember.

Even the LOTR extended versions l watched in 2 parts as 4 hours is more then enough in one go for any film watcher.

General Maximus
28-01-2020, 20:26
Statements like this just irritate me

https://news.sky.com/story/stephen-king-oscars-are-rigged-in-favour-of-white-folks-11920163

Hugh
01-02-2020, 12:58
With Avengers:Endgame up for a Best Gisual Effects Oscar, I found this interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-51178090/avengers-endgame-how-we-made-the-visual-effects

General Maximus
04-02-2020, 18:44
everyone should watch this, it is really really good:

hfFCAUM7gnc

Maggy
04-02-2020, 20:16
:D

Damien
04-02-2020, 20:55
It's this Sunday too. No one is expecting any surprises although maybe Parasite could pull a shock and win Best Picture.

denphone
04-02-2020, 21:15
It's this Sunday too. No one is expecting any surprises although maybe Parasite could pull a shock and win Best Picture.

l hope you got money on it.;)

Damien
04-02-2020, 21:56
l hope you got money on it.;)

Not worth the odds.

General Maximus
07-02-2020, 18:56
a1ACsKff_sY

General Maximus
08-02-2020, 18:45
Okay, it has been a bit of a slog but I have watched 15 films which pretty much encompasses the major films nominated in each category and below is the list of who I would like to see win in each category. It sounds cliché and you always hear the award winner say it in their acceptance speeches but I think there is a lot of talent in each category this year and there are some categories where I think there is more than one deserving winner.
I think the biggest travesty is that Endgame wasn't nominated for best picture because out of all the films I saw last year, which is a lot, Endgame was by far the best for so many reasons and likewise I think Robert Downey Jr should have been nominated for best actor.
I haven't put Parasite in as a joke for best picture, I am serious. If you get the chance to watch it you should. I was tempted to turn it off during the first 10 minutes because you get the feeling it is going to be a cheesy low budget weak story film but it gets going and is really good.
We all like to have a whinge every year that most of the films nominated are films we have never heard of and that more popular mainstream films should be nominated. I have commented in the past that one of the reasons why I like to watch each of the nominated films is that there are always a few surprises and you always get a couple films which are based on true stories or events. The standout for me this year, and it can be easily overlooked as it has only been nominated for one award, is Harriet. I went into without having watched a trailer or read a synopsis and knew nothing about it at all other than the actress in it is nominated for lead actress. I just put it on and watched it. It was a very moving story. Anyways, let me know what you think, especially if you would like to see another film win.

Best Picture: Parasite
Lead Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
Lead Actress: Cynthia Erivo, “Harriet”
Supporting Actor: Tom Hanks, “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”
Supporting Actress: Margot Robbie, “Bombshell”
Director: Quentin Tarantino, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
Animated Feature:“Toy Story 4,” Josh Cooley
Adapted Screenplay: “Little Women,” Greta Gerwig
Original Screenplay: “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Quentin Tarantino
Cinematography: “1917,” Roger Deakins
Best International Film“Parasite,” Bong Joon Ho
Film Editing: “Ford v Ferrari,” Michael McCusker, Andrew Buckland
Sound Editing: “Star Wars: The Rise of SkyWalker,” Matthew Wood, David Acord
Sound Mixing: “Ford v Ferrari”
Production Design: “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Barbara Ling and Nancy Haigh
Original Score: “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” John Williams
Original Song: “Into the Unknown,” “Frozen 2”
Makeup and Hair: “Bombshell”
Costume Design: “Little Women,” Jacqueline Durran
Visual Effects: “Avengers Endgame”

I have a sneaky feeling that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will pick up best picture and Parasite will get best foreign language film.

Damien
08-02-2020, 20:56
Maximus! I think this might be the first time we're in complete agreement on a film.

Parasite is excellent. I think it deserves Best Film at this Oscars and we only disagree in that even if it were nominated I still think Parasite is miles ahead of Endgame too. As you said the film really does become very good but we can't discuss it much because it's best watched without knowing anything about it.

I don't disagree with most of the other things you've listed there. Especially the Best Original and Adapted Screenplays (maybe Parasite for Best Original Screenplay).

Best Score would be Joker for me. Agree on Tom Hanks too.

General Maximus
08-02-2020, 22:17
Agree on Tom Hanks too.
And this is the best example I could ever come up with and one which I'll use for the rest of my life for why somebody should win an acting award. Sometimes you get unknowns like the actress who is nominated for Harriet this year and sometimes you get well known actors like Meryl Streep who you expect to be good in anything they are in. Tom Hanks can fall into that train of thought and John Williams as well come to think of it and many people will be saying "well of course Tom Hanks will be nominated, he is Hollywood royalty". Just as I said above I knew nothing about Harriet, I had also never heard of Fred Rogers before I saw the trailer for A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood and was still none the wiser as to who he was. When the film had finished I thought "what a fantastic human being" and I was only able to form that opinion of Fred Rogers due to Tom Hanks' performance and portrayal of him. I really do hope he gets it because I can't think of anything more demanding in acting than not only portraying a real person, but somebody who is relatively recent in history and millions of people can judge you on.

Damien
09-02-2020, 07:37
And this is the best example I could ever come up with and one which I'll use for the rest of my life for why somebody should win an acting award. Sometimes you get unknowns like the actress who is nominated for Harriet this year and sometimes you get well known actors like Meryl Streep who you expect to be good in anything they are in. Tom Hanks can fall into that train of thought and John Williams as well come to think of it and many people will be saying "well of course Tom Hanks will be nominated, he is Hollywood royalty". Just as I said above I knew nothing about Harriet, I had also never heard of Fred Rogers before I saw the trailer for A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood and was still none the wiser as to who he was. When the film had finished I thought "what a fantastic human being" and I was only able to form that opinion of Fred Rogers due to Tom Hanks' performance and portrayal of him. I really do hope he gets it because I can't think of anything more demanding in acting than not only portraying a real person, but somebody who is relatively recent in history and millions of people can judge you on.

The thing I found interesting about that film is it is about Mr Rodgers and they got a big actor to play the character but he is actually playing a supporting role to another actor. It's such an interesting way to tell the story of the man, by having him act as support in another character's story.

Tom Hanks is unlikely to win though. The same four actors have won each acting award so far: Joaquin Phoenix, Renee Zellweger, Brad Pitt and Laura Dern. Remember that many of the voters are the same and those four won the SAG awards which are the ones voted for by fellow actors who make up there majority of the Oscar voters too.

General Maximus
09-02-2020, 08:16
The same four actors have won each acting award so far: Joaquin Phoenix, Renee Zellweger, Brad Pitt and Laura Dern.

It sounds cliché and you always hear the award winner say it in their acceptance speeches but I think there is a lot of talent in each category this year and there are some categories where I think there is more than one deserving winner.

that's what I was talking about. I watched Judy before Harriet and up and till that point Renee Zellweger was the clear front runner for me. I love Laura Dern but ironically if she is going to win I don't think it should be for Marriage Story, it should be for Little Women. Joaquin Phoenix was good but when the presenters read out the nominations they say "and now for the Oscar for an 'outstanding' performance by an actor in a leading role" and I didn't think his performance was outstanding as he has played whacky characters before. It was very good but there are more deserving winners imho. Joker has received a lot of nominations and I don't think it should win any of them.

General Maximus
10-02-2020, 04:53
Well I am well chuffed. As I have said already I thought there was more than one deserving winner in each category so I was pleased for Brad Pitt and Rene Zellweger etc. I got very mardy half way through when Endgame missed out on visual effects, they did everything that was in 1917 plus a million times more, I thought it was a joke. 1917 was nominated in too many categories and all the way along right up and till the very last moment everyone was saying Sam Mendes was going to get best director. They rightly won cinematography for the filming style and that should have been (and was) it. I am ecstatic that Parasite picked up best director and best picture. A lot of people (Paul) don't take an interest in the Oscars because a lot of the films nominated are arty farty films you haven't heard of and normally wouldn't watch. The reason why I loved Parasite so much is that it wasn't a made for Oscars film, it is a normal thrilling and entertaining film you would want to watch that just happens to be in a different language and that is why it stood out so much from the other nominated films. Kudos to those guys.

Damien
10-02-2020, 05:45
Oscars get it right for once

Not so sure about Zellweger. I think that was what I call stunt acting, where the entire thing is contrived to be 'look at this, give me an Oscar'. Sort of like when you say there are 'made of Oscar films' I feel the same about some acting performances. It was basically an imitation, a SNL bit, and whilst it was very good it took place in an otherwise dull film. Lifeless.

Now compare that to Saoirse Ronan's performance in Little Women, or pretty much anything, where there is a believable character being brought to life.

But not a big objection.

You're right about 1917. I did love watching it but I don't think it would have aged well as a Best Picture winner. With the caveat that I still haven't seen The Irishman I think Parasite was by far the right choice and it's about time there was a foreign winner of Best Picture ending the remarkable run of English language films being the best each year in the entire world....

General Maximus
10-02-2020, 12:59
I still haven't seen The Irishman.
I wouldn't bother, I don't feel any better for having watched it other than the fact that I needed to for the Oscars. It is an interesting story but I kept hitting pause on the remote to see how far through the film I was and when it finished I couldn't help but think it should have been a 2 hour film and not 3:30. I think it was nominated for an editing Oscar which is quite hilarious.
Everybody moans about films that are 3 hours plus and I have always defended them. Off the top of my head I am thinking of LoTR, Meet Joe Black, Avatar, Dances With Wolves, 2012, Titanic and a couple more that aren't immediately coming to mind. The point is though that I love all of them, they are good stories and you want to watch them. You aren't going through it thinking "are we near the end yet" but you do with The Irishman.

General Maximus
21-05-2020, 10:27
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oscars-2021-could-be-postponed-due-to-covid-19-11991498

It looks like next year's Oscars is going to be postponed. It makes sense and gives the studios some breathing room to get back up and running. They can easily put it back till summer without impacting the 2022 ceremony. Most of the "awards films" and planned to be released just before the awards season starts for the nominations process so this will naturally happen this year as things get back up and running, albeit a bit late, and next year things can hopefully go back to normal for the end of year releases. As the majority of nominated films aren't blockbuster movies their post-production is less intensive so hopefully it won't be as hard and time consuming to get back on track.

denphone
21-05-2020, 10:53
l cannot say l am surprised at that as it was pretty inevitable that it was going to be postponed.

General Maximus
16-06-2020, 12:46
It is confirmed, it is being put back by 2 months and will now be the end of April next year.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oscars-2021-postponed-by-two-months-due-to-covid-19-disruption-12007552

Damien
16-06-2020, 14:02
It would have been interesting if they kept it at the original date to see what Oscar nominations would look like if the studios didn't get to do their normal 'Oscar season rollout' of their most promising films. They usually start that process now, Cannes would have happened for some more independent films to take their shot and the main season of film festivals would be starting. It's around now we'll know which films think they have a shot.

Those festivals might still not happen but they'll still have time do a limited rollout in the autumn before a general release in the winter. They've essentially just pushed everything back one quarter.

General Maximus
16-06-2020, 14:19
They've essentially just pushed everything back one quarter.
Yup, and i think the improved weather will cheer everyone up and make for a more enjoyable red carpet ceremony

General Maximus
09-09-2020, 09:29
https://deadline.com/2020/09/academy-shakes-oscar-best-picture-eligibility-1234573172/

Not sure how I feel about this atm. Are films going to be nominated because and win because they are fantastic films or because they have got a gay black actor in them. I am sure there are dedicated awards ceremonies for diversity and gender equality across various industries and the premiere awards ceremony which celebrates the very best of movie magic does not need to be converted into one. It risks diminishing to value of the Oscars and shifting it to another awards ceremony which will recognise the very best in quality and talent.

Paul
09-09-2020, 17:32
Ive never condidered the oscars to be representative of most people who actually watch films, otherwise the Marvel films would sweep the board every year, but now they have lost the plot completely.

Its clearly no longer about how good they think a film is, or how good someone is at their job, its all about are they Gay/Black/whatever. Racism, whateverism at its best.

Damien
12-09-2020, 19:32
https://deadline.com/2020/09/academy-shakes-oscar-best-picture-eligibility-1234573172/

Not sure how I feel about this atm. Are films going to be nominated because and win because they are fantastic films or because they have got a gay black actor in them. I am sure there are dedicated awards ceremonies for diversity and gender equality across various industries and the premiere awards ceremony which celebrates the very best of movie magic does not need to be converted into one. It risks diminishing to value of the Oscars and shifting it to another awards ceremony which will recognise the very best in quality and talent.

If you dig down into the criteria, because of the qualification of 'crew', it won't change much. I saw on Reddit someone posting an analysis of which films would have missed out and the vast majority would still have qualified as they had enough minorities in the crew. You sort of have to go out of your way to not qualify.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Ive never condidered the oscars to be representative of most people who actually watch films, otherwise the Marvel films would sweep the board every year, but now they have lost the plot completely.

Its clearly no longer about how good they think a film is, or how good someone is at their job, its all about are they Gay/Black/whatever. Racism, whateverism at its best.

Oscars are representative of the people who make films. It's called the Academy after all. Although the voters do watch a lot of films, it's the industry they're in, its not about which film has been watched the most.

Which is sort of the main advantage of the Oscars to be honest. It pushes up more obsure films that might not have been heard about. Getting a nomination for Best Picture usually means a film is assured of a wide release in the cinema. Parasite for example did well after it won an Oscar.

The 'People's Choice Awards' is the biggest award ceremony that is voted for by the public and yeah it's usually Marvel who cleans up in every movie category.

General Maximus
14-09-2020, 20:18
The 'People's Choice Awards' is the biggest award ceremony that is voted for by the public and yeah it's usually Marvel who cleans up in every movie category.
they were talking about that as part of the Oscar revamp to get more viewers but I think they knocked the idea on the head. They wanted a sort of "people's" Oscar which would obviously go to the most popular/highest grossing film of the year and it would be great to see stuff like the Marvel films or Star Wars get it. I think the public would be more forgiving when they see their favourite miss out on the big Oscars and go to films nobody has heard of if they know their film is going to win the popular Oscar. I don't know what you would call it or how the voting would work but I definitely think it should be a thing. It would have let The Hurt Locker and Avatar both win big in the same year. If they do something like that though it needs to be international. You can't have US only voting given that they make a big thing at every awards ceremony saying over 1bn people are watching from154 countries around the world. I am thinking that all the voting would have to be done online with a registered account on the Oscars website to prevent fraud. Voting can happen in the same window as the ballet votes for the other categories. That way it is all done at the same time and the category can be seamlessly integrated into the established process of vote counting, statuette production and winning envelope production etc.

Damien
14-09-2020, 20:39
You could do 'Best Popular Film' I guess which would limit the selection to the top 10 selling films of the year from which the voters inside the Academy could pick.

I wouldn't have it as a public vote as the point of The Oscars is to be a industry award. That this is what the people who make movies think of this year's movies.

They should have more members though as part of the problem is it's structure lends itself to being an 'old guard' where long established filmmakers get to vote and newer filmmakers do not. This is where they got into trouble with the diversity issues as it the voting make up was skewed towards older filmmakers and didn't reflect newer ones.

You would then have less bias against action films or animation. Animation is the most dunked on of all the categories at The Oscars.

tbh I don't think it matters that much. If Kevin Feige feels sad about the lack of a Best Picture Oscar he can console himself with the massive pile of cash Marvel Studios and Disney have earned. Marvel don't need an Oscar in the way Bong Joon-ho did.

General Maximus
20-09-2020, 19:44
You could do 'Best Popular Film' I guess which would limit the selection to the top 10 selling films of the year from which the voters inside the Academy could pick.
Good idea, it would be a great selection of quality of films. I have been monitor the top 10 for the last couple of years and there has only been one film or maybe two each year that I wasn't too keen, other than that the rest would be thoroughly deserving.