PDA

View Full Version : [UPDATED] Oscar Winners 2018

General Maximus
23-01-2018, 15:55
The nominations are out today and they are probably what you would expect given the nominations from the Golden Globes, SAG's etc. Who do you want to win each award or who do you think is going to win? Unfortunately in my case they are usually two completely different things :D. I have put together a quick list for the main awards below and left out stuff like foreign language film and documentary short etc.

I wouldn't mind having a crack at most of them now but to be fair I am going to watch all the films nominated for the big awards first and when I have done that I'll come back with my hopes/predictions.

Paul
23-01-2018, 16:48
TBH, I dont care.

Very little of what ever gets oscars is anything I would ever watch, or give any kind of award to.

For example, I have not watched, nor have any interest in, a single nomination for "Best Picture".

General Maximus
23-01-2018, 16:54
haven't you seen Dunkirk? Darkest Hour was very moving and I genuinely want to see The Shape of Water as well. I am going to watch the rest of them anyway because I used to get explosive when I wanted something like Dunkirk to win and then random film X (Lady Bird for example) that I hadn't seen won. Same goes for the acting categories. I love Denzel Washington but I think Gary Oldman should win this year. I am going to watch the other nominated performances though just in case someone else gets it so I understand/appreciate why.

Another one which gets me every year is Original Score. What the pluck has John Williams got to do to get an Oscar?

Paul
23-01-2018, 18:39
Nope, I have no interest in Dunkirk, or The Darkest Hour.
I saw the trailer for The Shape of Water last year and again, not my kind of film.

As for John Williams, if he has never got an oscar then thats surprising.

General Maximus
23-01-2018, 19:01
he has got one Oscar and a gazillion nominations. He is the most nominated person for anything in Oscar history. I'll admit that some years his scores are good but nothing special and there have been other composers which deserved to win but there have been plenty of times (and more often than not) when he should win hands down but the Oscar goes to some shitty person who whacked a couple of keys on a piano for a film you haven't heard of. This year I think it is definitely between John Williams and Hans Zimmer. I love Hans Zimmer as well but the soundtrack to Dunkirk, amazing as it is, is less (no) music and more sound effects so I think John Williams should get it. As I said at the time, the music in The Last Jedi is one of the few things I loved about the film; it is a pleasure to listen to and very powerful and moving.

Damien
23-01-2018, 20:18
So here is what I think will win and what I want to win. I have * next to the films I haven't yet seen (Shape of Water and Lady Bird as well as I, Tonya I'll go see):

Best picture
Call Me by Your Name*
Darkest Hour
Should win: Dunkirk or Get Out
Lady Bird*
Phantom Thread*
The Post
The Shape of Water*
Will Win: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best actor
Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name*
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread*
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Should and Will win: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J Israel, Esq*

Best actress
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water*
Should and Will win: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya*
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird*
Meryl Streep, The Post

Best director
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread*
Will Win: Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water*
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird*
Should win: Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

haven't you seen Dunkirk? Darkest Hour was very moving and I genuinely want to see The Shape of Water as well. I am going to watch the rest of them anyway because I used to get explosive when I wanted something like Dunkirk to win and then random film X (Lady Bird for example) that I hadn't seen won. Same goes for the acting categories. I love Denzel Washington but I think Gary Oldman should win this year. I am going to watch the other nominated performances though just in case someone else gets it so I understand/appreciate why.

Another one which gets me every year is Original Score. What the pluck has John Williams got to do to get an Oscar?

Out of the films I have seen for Best Score it has to go to Dunkirk.

General Maximus
27-02-2018, 19:28
zlU69trQ8Ls

CassieJ
01-03-2018, 14:24
"Shape of water" does have lots of nomination! I haven't watched it yet but I heard all good reviews.

General Maximus
04-03-2018, 15:24
Okay, I have left it a bit last minute but I have watched all the films nominated for the big awards and I am going to have my first ever stab at who is going to win what. Unfortunately who I want to win and who I think is going to win usually tend to be different completely different things. I think the biggest thing which is really going to piss me off for the irony is if makeup and hair don't go to Darkest Hour for how they did Gary Oldman, especially if he wins Best Actor. The one category in which I think all the nominees are equally deserving and I would gladly see any of them win is Visual Effects.

Best Picture:
Want: Darkest Hour
Think: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Lead Actor:
Want & Think: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”

Lead Actress:
Want & Think: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Supporting Actor:
Want & Think:Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Supporting Actress:
Want & Think: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”

Director:
Want: “Dunkirk,” Christopher Nolan
Think: “The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro

Animated Feature:
Want & Think: “Coco,” Lee Unkrich, Darla K. Anderson

Adapted Screenplay:
Think: “Call Me by Your Name,” James Ivory
Want: “Logan,” Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green

Original Screenplay:
Want & Think: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh

Cinematography:
Want & Think: “Dunkirk,” Hoyte van Hoytema

Film Editing:
Want & Think: “Dunkirk,” Lee Smith

Sound Editing:
Want: “Blade Runner 2049,” Mark Mangini, Theo Green
Think: “Dunkirk,” Alex Gibson, Richard King

Sound Mixing:
Want: “Blade Runner 2049,” Mac Ruth, Ron Bartlett, Doug Hephill
Think: “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Stuart Wilson, Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick

Production Design:
Want: “Beauty and the Beast,” Sarah Greenwood; Katie Spencer
Think: “Darkest Hour,” Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer

Original Score:
Think: “The Shape of Water,” Alexandre Desplat
Want: “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” John Williams

Original Song:
Think: “Stand Up for Something” from “Marshall,” Diane Warren, Common
Want: “This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman,” Benj Pasek, Justin Paul

Makeup and Hair:
Want & Think: “Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski, Lucy Sibbick

Costume Design:
Want: “Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran
Think: “Victoria and Abdul,” Consolata Boyle

Visual Effects:
Want: “Blade Runner 2049,” John Nelson, Paul Lambert, Richard R. Hoover, Gerd Nefzer
Think: “War for the Planet of the Apes,” Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett, Joel Whist

denphone
05-03-2018, 07:02
The winners and the losers from the 2018 Oscars ceremony.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/05/oscars-2018-full-list-of-winners-live

General Maximus
05-03-2018, 17:35
I know many of you will think the Oscars is a snooze fest but this is worth a watch. I love it when they do stuff like this (similar prank last year as well) and it would be the best day of my lift if Gal Gadot walked in and surprised me.

Mzsl9hcTQkw

Paul
05-03-2018, 18:18
I know many of you will think the Oscars is a snooze fest ....
I dont even rate it that highly. :erm:

:zzz:

A bunch of people full of their own self importance, for films that get further and further away from what the majority of the public watch each year.

Mick
05-03-2018, 18:53
Oscars TV ratings plunge again on last year to an historic low according to LA Times.

Liberal and Virtue self signalling on an award show is not a winning formula.

denphone
05-03-2018, 20:46
I know many of you will think the Oscars is a snooze fest but this is worth a watch. I love it when they do stuff like this (similar prank last year as well) and it would be the best day of my lift if Gal Gadot walked in and surprised me.

Mzsl9hcTQkw

My Mum loves watching it.:)

Damien
05-03-2018, 23:17
A bunch of people full of their own self importance, for films that get further and further away from what the majority of the public watch each year.

Most of the Best Picture nominees were box office successes as well. They're not on the scale of Star Wars or Marvel films but they make a lot of money, cost a lot of money, and have wide releases. These weren't art house films.

Award shows a bit of a nonsense of course but they've never been a measure of what sold the most tickets.

Oscars TV ratings plunge again on last year to an historic low according to LA Times.

Liberal and Virtue self signalling on an award show is not a winning formula.

The Oscars have always been liberal. It's probably more to do with the general decline of TV watching in favour of things like Netflix and YouTube. Also something like the Oscars isn't even going to be time-shifted because once you know the results, who cares?

Paul
05-03-2018, 23:42
Top 10 Films of 2017 ;

1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi
2 Beauty and the Beast
3 The Fate of the Furious
4 Despicable Me 3
5 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
6 Spider-Man: Homecoming
7 Wolf Warrior 2
8 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
9 Thor: Ragnarok
10 Wonder Woman

While the oscars ignore the most popular films they are meaningless to me, and increasingly the public it seems (based on declining viewing figures).

Damien
06-03-2018, 09:38
I don't think the Oscars have ever been massively relevant to film choices anyway. Star Wars hardly suffers for it's lack of Oscar success nor do Marvel. They generally give a boost to the films underneath those categories and also give better opportunities to those who've won them in the industry. Remember they're an industry award, voted for by others in the industry, so it's less about what the public thinks as to what directors/writers/actors/producers think.

The Oscars themselves haven't changed that much. You list the most popular films but how often have the Oscars ever awarded commercial success alone? Rarely. I can only think of Titanic and Lord of the Rings that were massive successes in cinemas and won Best Picture.

The other thing is that they tend to award originality and all but one in that list were sequels or reboots. The other one still being a Franchise Film (Wonder Woman).

I rarely agree with Best Picture anyway. This year I wanted it to be Dunkirk.

General Maximus
06-03-2018, 10:01
I rarely agree with Best Picture anyway. This year I wanted it to be Dunkirk.
I agree. For me Best Film award is literally "what was the best film last year" and I would define that as what film moved you the most or wowed you the most. It doesn't have to be a special effects or action romp like The Avengers, which film had the best story and affected you emotionally? For me it was Dunkirk and Blade Runner and I think either of those two should have got Best Picture.

In order for a film to reach such a high standard it would have to fulfil other requirements to make it so good so you would expect it to excel in other areas depending on the genre such as effects/music/cinematography/soundetc. I would gladly have seen either of those films sweep up those categories because they cumulatively contributed to make an excellent movie. I was ecstatic when Blade Runner got cinematography because it is such a beautiful and perfect scifi film.

Mick
06-03-2018, 10:53
The Oscars have always been liberal. It's probably more to do with the general decline of TV watching in favour of things like Netflix and YouTube. Also something like the Oscars isn't even going to be time-shifted because once you know the results, who cares?

No it’s more to do with the Oscars getting more political, same with the NFL, their viewing ratings are way down as well. If these shows are going to continue down this path of alienating the other half of the country because of who they voted for, their ratings are just going to keep on tanking.

General Maximus
06-03-2018, 12:01
yeah. I love watching awards shows like the Oscars and Golden Globes as a celebration of movies. I am sick and tired of hearing about equal pay, black people, women's rights, suicide and everything else.

They have been flapping about opportunities for black people for donkeys years and this year they admitted they had pretty much got it sorted and are now moving onto equal opportunities for women. For as long as I can remember they have been moaning about the lack of female directors from an awards point of view and they had a dig this year that Greta Gerwig was the only female director nominated. I wanted to reach into the tv, punch them all and bang their heads into the wall. Have they heard of Patty Jenkins and one of the most successful films of the year (and the most successful as far as female directors go). Did you put her forward for a nomination? No! So they have only got themselves to blame.

In terms of discrimination though and equal opportunities I have long said that it can go the other way as well. People should be nominated on merit. Just because you are a female director (or black actor etc) doesn't mean you should be nominated for the sack of equal representation in the category.

Damien
06-03-2018, 12:36
No it’s more to do with the Oscars getting more political, same with the NFL, their viewing ratings are way down as well. If these shows are going to continue down this path of alienating the other half of the country because of who they voted for, their ratings are just going to keep on tanking.

That's what Trump and people say but traditional viewing of television has been declining across most program types (apart from News it seems). The NFL went down. But then so has NASCAR (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/19/daytona-500-overnight-tv-ratings-likely-the-worst-in-races-history/?utm_term=.15d29574312a)which isn't political. The Winter Olympics had the lower viewing figures (http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/2018-winter-olympics-ratings-2-1202710137/) too and again not much politics there. Grammys had their lowest year too.

Over the last 10 years TV viewing has plummeted:

http://adage.com/article/media/ratings/303574/

"The numbers have shrunk so much in the last 10 years that you almost have to put the 'broad' in 'broadcast' in air quotes," said one TV buyer. "Between the fragmentation and all the time-shifting, there are almost no big-reach vehicles left, unless you have the money to spend on football."

For the fourth year in a row, every Big Four broadcast network will finish the season with less than a 3.0 rating among 18-to-49-year-olds. Only two returning broadcast shows have grown this season: CBS's "60 Minutes," up 7%, and sophomore NBC sitcom "The Carmichael Show," up 9%, according to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data.

Meanwhile, some of last season's strongest performers have suffered the greatest declines, including NBC's "The Blacklist" (down 38% in live-plus-same-day ratings), ABC's "How to Get Away With Murder" (down 37%), Fox's "Gotham" (down 33%) and CBS's "Scorpion" (down 22%). All told, 30 returning broadcast series saw their ratings in their network's demographic targets drop by at least 20%.

Not everything is about Trump. Plus as I said this isn't new to the Oscars, they've always been liberal, I remember the outrage when they were having at go at the Iraq war.....

Mick
06-03-2018, 12:41
I never mentioned Trump at all. I said getting political and who people voted for, that means either way. Same having some kind of cult protest, like the MeToo movement, big turn off.

Cannot just say this is a general decline, the drop in viewership in just 4 years is huge because of the political attitudes on these shows.

Damien
06-03-2018, 12:49
I never mentioned Trump at all. I said getting political and who people voted for, that means either way. Same having some kind of cult protest, like the MeToo movement, big turn off.

Giving what we've found out about Hollywood I would think it's the causes of Me Too that would turn people off rather than the 'cult movement' itself.

Cannot just say this is a general decline, the drop in viewership in just 4 years is huge because of the political attitudes on these shows.

I dunno. It's always been there. Hollywood is very democratic and very liberal. As I said during the Iraq war there was this stuff that everyone was sick of them too.

Hugh
06-03-2018, 15:39
yeah. I love watching awards shows like the Oscars and Golden Globes as a celebration of movies. I am sick and tired of hearing about equal pay, black people, women's rights, suicide and everything else.

They have been flapping about opportunities for black people for donkeys years and this year they admitted they had pretty much got it sorted and are now moving onto equal opportunities for women. For as long as I can remember they have been moaning about the lack of female directors from an awards point of view and they had a dig this year that Greta Gerwig was the only female director nominated. I wanted to reach into the tv, punch them all and bang their heads into the wall. Have they heard of Patty Jenkins and one of the most successful films of the year (and the most successful as far as female directors go). Did you put her forward for a nomination? No! So they have only got themselves to blame.

In terms of discrimination though and equal opportunities I have long said that it can go the other way as well. People should be nominated on merit. Just because you are a female director (or black actor etc) doesn't mean you should be nominated for the sack of equal representation in the category.The problem is that because Hollywood is run by white males (mostly), the opportunities for women and minorities are few and far between; it's not a level playing field.

The fact that Patty Jenkins got to direct Wonder Woman was an anomaly, not the norm - the "powers that be" have kept saying that films about women or minorities won't make money, which is why they said they didn't make them, which was a self-fulfilling prophecy; now we've had hits like Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Get Out, here's hoping there are more opportunities available.

General Maximus
06-03-2018, 19:27
I think Captain Marvel is going to be massive and I don't understand why they never did a Black Widow film. Marvel MCU + Scarlett Johansson = $$$$$$$$$$

TheDaddy
06-03-2018, 21:51
The first Oscar ceremony lasted 15 minutes and you know what people said about it, that it was to long, I concur now as I would have then, mind you a ticket back then was the equivalent of 71 bucks so I would have gone, definitely, would have been a great story for not much cash

Damien
06-03-2018, 22:49
Award shows are all tedious. Brit awards even more so as they pretend to not be tedious with all the faux-rebellious stuff (sometimes they've been drinking! THE HORROR!).

I'm still interested in who won the proper ones though.

General Maximus
07-03-2018, 00:57
I think this is very apt and you'll all appreciate this given the discussion we have been having.

x7DssfaYi5w

Hugh
07-03-2018, 10:32
How films/etc. are nominated.

http://collider.com/how-are-oscar-nominees-chosen/#images

General Maximus
07-03-2018, 19:59
that's good to know. I was aware how they voted category wise but I think the preferential voting is new this year. They mentioned it on Sky during the ceremony but didn't go into how it worked so it is good to know.

General Maximus
09-08-2018, 00:22
This should cheer you up Paul:

The Oscars has announced it will be adding a new category for popular films and shortening the award ceremony to three hours.

The changes were revealed in an email sent to members on Wednesday from John Bailey, the new president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and chief executive Dawn Hudson.

It also announced that the 2020 presentation would be aired at a much earlier date than expected, in February of that year.

The changes follow an uneasy period for the Oscars, after the four-hour long 90th Academy Awards attracted only 26.5 million viewers, a drop of 19% since the previous year and the first time in a decade ratings had fallen below 30 million.

In their email, the newly-appointed president said the board were "committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours, delivering a more accessible Oscars for our viewers worldwide".

While none of the 24 awards will be axed completely some will be shifted to commercial breaks during a live broadcast.

It is not known which will be cut, nor what the eligibility criteria for the new popular film award will be.

Although Oscars does award commercially successful films, it tends to exclude genre movies or superhero films like Star Wars.

Many commentators appeared unimpressed with the planned changes, arguing that achievements in production and behind-the-scenes work would lose out on proper credit.

Others claimed the Academy was turning into a popularity contest, while some suggested the new category will be seen as a "consolation prize" giving productions a second-tier status.

That claim attracted particular attention in an award season that has seen superhero movie Black Panther tipped as a potential Best Picture win.

"The Academy is going to be so confused when people aren't happy that they gave Black Panther their newly invented Consolation Prize Oscar," film journalist Courtney Enlow said.

Writer Mark Harris tweeted that the award would be perceived as a "ghetto", adding: "There is already an award for popular films. It's called 'money.'"

https://news.sky.com/story/oscars-to-introduce-popular-film-category-and-shortened-ceremony-11466009

Damien
09-08-2018, 12:56
It does feel like a way to accommodate 'popular' films without having them in the main categories. The problem is if the award is just automatically given to the film with the highest profit for the year then what's the point? Or if they take a selection of the big films and give an award to the best one then why bother at all? What's the cut-off point for including them there or in the Best Picture category?

General Maximus
09-08-2018, 15:25
If they are determined to engage the viewers more i think the category should comprise the top 5 grossing films which get announced at the start of the show and the winner is decided by viewer phone vote over 3 hours and announced at the end of the show before best picture. It would be great to see a toss up between star wars/infinity war/black panther etc.