PDA

View Full Version : Justice League (2017)

General Maximus
27-10-2017, 13:54
An fyi for everyone, tickets are now available for advanced booking at Odeon and there is a midnight premiere on Thursday night going into Friday morning on 17th November. There isn't a double bill with BvS or Wonder Woman first.

We'll keep this thread for future discussion because I am sure there will be lots to say. I loved Wonder Woman but I think this is going to be the best DC film yet.

General Maximus
15-11-2017, 12:21
a bit of a teaser for you to get your ready for tomorrow:

EFy-3atJmzY

Paul
15-11-2017, 13:19
Well I wont be going tomorrow, but I have booked for Sunday evening. :)

denphone
15-11-2017, 16:16
Well I wont be going tomorrow, but I have booked for Sunday evening. :)

The critics have given it a panning this morning but then again they don't erect statues for critics.:)

pip08456
15-11-2017, 16:20
TBH I don't expect much from this. It just doesn't appeal.

Paul
15-11-2017, 18:30
The previews on this have looked reasonable (unlike Batman v Superman) so I'm hopeful.

It also has Wonder Woman, who was excellent in the last film.
I dont take notice of critics, they pan a lot of films I personally loved.

General Maximus
16-11-2017, 08:29
I am the same. I think I mentioned this recently but I learnt a long time ago not to bother reading reviews or listening to critics. When I was 15 I started buying Empire with my pocket money and took what they wrote as gospel. I can't remember specific examples but there were many films they said were absolute rubbish which I loved and many films which they loved which I thought were rubbish. I quickly learnt not to bother listening to critics or reading reviews at all prior to watching films. Every now and again a friend will mention that something coming out soon has got a poor review my response is always "great, that means I am going to like it".

The only thing which I think is going to frustrate me about this film is that all DC final action scenes just tend to be a bit of a mush like Transformers where you get 20 mins of everyone doing everything, flying around, thrown around, explosions galore and there is just no structure (or planning on the part of the characters) and I just wait for the inevitable win. I think the story and the characters (especially Wonder Woman :romance::) are going to more than make up for it though.

General Maximus
17-11-2017, 03:43
I'm hopeful
I was as well, just don't be too hopeful. Wonder Woman is its one redeeming quality.

Read my thoughts here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399&page=329#post35925338)

General Maximus
11-04-2018, 13:48
zj_y8eAKpQU

admars
21-05-2020, 08:30
still not seen it, but this has been long rumoured to exist/not exist:

Zack Snyder’s ‘Justice League’ Is Coming To HBO Max

It has taken several years, but director Zack Snyder will finally have his justice — a whole league of it. Today the filmmaker announced Warner Bros. will finally release Snyder’s long-awaited — and long debated — cut of his DC Comics superhero team-up picture Justice League.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2020/05/20/zack-snyders-justice-league-is-coming-to-hbo-max/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

tweetiepooh
21-05-2020, 09:20
BBC had something similar, seems fans thought the original cinema release not dark enough. I'd be the opposite and prefer a lighter touch/presentation. Superhero films can be fun and for a wider family audience.

cimt
21-05-2020, 12:22
The issue with JL though was that Snyder and Whedon are both totally different directors, and they styles clashed with eachother.

Stephen
22-05-2020, 23:27
Whedpn reshot a lot of the film and the story changed drastically from Snyder's original plans. So it should be quite a different film. It's not a case that it's just a few different scenes or alternate takes like some director cuts. Originally the film was to have been 2 parts and also would have introduced Green Latern.

The best comparison would be the Donner cut of Superman 2. After Donner was sacked about 80% of the movie was reshot by the new directed and the film went in a totally different direction. I actually do prefer the Donner cut. It got a release on home media a few years ago after he was given permission by the studio and all his footage was recovered.

Pierre
27-05-2020, 17:24
it's not going to be exactly Snyders vision, he's been given a few quid to reinstate what he shot and for some special effects but he can only work with the material that is there and he can't shoot any more scenes.

As Stephen says it was meant to be a two-parter and Cyborg was to have a much larger role than ended up having and Superman was going to be different, I believe he was to come back with a Black suit.

I, personally, liked DoJ, and I would have liked to se have see Snyder continue with his vision

Hugh
26-03-2021, 09:31
Watched the first 3 hours 20 minutes of the Snyderverse Cut - finish it off tonight.

Started off a bit slow, but it's worth persevering, because you get a lot more back-story for the other characters, with occasional superheroes (appearing briefly) that weren't in the 2017 version (Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter).

Only one small niggle/comment - Avengers:Age of Ultron would like their opening scene back, please... :D

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=28979&d=1616751009

cimt
26-03-2021, 15:20
I did enjoy it but it was a bit of a mess. He could of trimmed it down and it would probs of improved it. A lot of the CGI was shocking like, I did genuinely wonder what the extra 70m was spent on.

Stephen
26-03-2021, 16:04
The 70 million covered editing, reshoots, sound, all the staff time and post production.

Some of the cgi wasn't the greatest but then it was done as a side project without a massive budget and also people probably did it at home. It still looks fairly decent in places.

General Maximus
26-03-2021, 18:21
you get a lot more back-story for the other characters
sounds like this should have been the original release. The gripe I have with stuff like this is that the film only works if you can relate to the characters and the characters gel with one another. As they hadn't established all the characters in their own origin films this film probably would have gone down a lot better if they could have spent the first half of the film (i.e. a good 2 hours) just introducing Aquaman, The Flash and Cyborg and giving them more depth.

admars
26-03-2021, 22:12
I haven't seen the vanilla version, and only just got round to watching Man of Steel, batman Vs Superman, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman over last week or so ready for this.

I enjoyed it, it was long, but as you say, had to be long to introduce as to ppl we don't know about. I guess the reason is Superman, Batman, Wonder woman will attract crowds to cinema, ppl that don't go often, but Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman, not so much.

Interestingly I read that Cyborg is in this version a lot more than the theatrical hut, hence he has beef with the studio, seems a bit like John Boyega Vs Star Wars, but in this case does seem odd to cut out a character fairly important to the plot.

Stephen
26-03-2021, 22:26
The theatrical edit was dreadful. So many scenes were reshot and edited so much they made very little sense as well as Joss Whedon putting in so many Avengers MCU style jokes and one liners that just fell flat. Most of Flash and Cyborg scenes were removed and those that were left in gave them little or nothing useful to do. Cyborgs mum was removed completely and the dad was practically in it for a few mins with his big scenes being removed and a new ending for him. Darkseid is totally removed and Steppenwolf is the main bad guy but is really dumb. The films opening scene features Batman fighting a parademon with no explanation.

I'd maybe try watching it just to see how long you last. It really was bad.

Pierre
27-03-2021, 10:28
Watched the first 3 hours 20 minutes of the Snyderverse Cut - finish it off tonight.

Started off a bit slow, but it's worth persevering, because you get a lot more back-story for the other characters, with occasional superheroes (appearing briefly) that weren't in the 2017 version (Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter).

Only one small niggle/comment - Avengers:Age of Ultron would like their opening scene back, please... :D

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=28979&d=1616751009

I watched it over 2 sittings when it came out a week ago. It is immeasurably superior to the “rent a hack” Whedon debacle.

4hrs is a bit much, I think they originally were going to release it as a mini-series and it is constructed into chapters that would have allowed that if they went that way.

Steppenwolf is much better represented and we get a Palpatine type character too.

Perhaps they’ll do the right thing and re-cut Suicide Squad now.

Stephen
27-03-2021, 10:46
I watched it over 2 sittings when it came out a week ago. It is immeasurably superior to the “rent a hack” Whedon debacle.

4hrs is a bit much, I think they originally were going to release it as a mini-series and it is constructed into chapters that would have allowed that if they went that way.

Steppenwolf is much better represented and we get a Palpatine type character too.

Perhaps they’ll do the right thing and re-cut Suicide Squad now.
Already been confirmed that a new cut of Suicide Squad will not be happening. Perhaps due to the new reboot/sequel coming out soon.

cimt
27-03-2021, 11:05
They did an extended cut but it wasn't much better than the original.

Pierre
27-03-2021, 13:44
They did an extended cut but it wasn't much better than the original.

I liked the Suicide Squad. I’m sure there’s a better version to be had. I liked Leto’s version of the Joker, 2nd only behind Ledger in my opinion. I know he had lots of scenes cut, so much so he was turned into an incidental character.

I was happy to see him pop up in JL.

If Warner’s hadn’t panicked, and given Snyder time to develop the DCCU, it could have really turned out a hell of a lot better than it did.

Stephen
27-03-2021, 13:53
Most folk don't like the Leto Joker but many have warmed to him in the Snyder Cut as his look and character seem fairly different.

cimt
27-03-2021, 13:53
They didn't panic though. Snyders daughter died so he had to back out. The issue was letting Joss reshoot most of the movie so he could have a directors credit on the movie.

General Maximus
26-05-2021, 11:23
9Wj03A4yjsM

General Maximus
14-02-2022, 23:01
Tickets for The Batman are now available for advanced booking, release date Friday 4th March. Odeon must know something we don't because they are doing a midnight premiere for it across the 4 largest screens in the cinema and it will be the first midnight premiere they have done for any film in over 2 years. Hopefully it is the start of things to come and Dr Strange will get one as well given the success of Spiderman.

Stephen
14-02-2022, 23:17
Cineworld are doing midnight showings too.

Paul
14-02-2022, 23:49
Well I'm interested in going to see it, but I'm really not that desperate to want midnight on the first day.

Stephen
15-02-2022, 00:09
I've booked for 1pm on release day. Can't wait to see if I can easily spot the Glasgow locations used in the film.

General Maximus
15-02-2022, 08:42
I am going on midnight. The trailer didn't blow me away and I am expecting the film to be very average, you can't beat The Dark Knight, but I always go the midnight premieres, the atmosphere in the cinema is something else. I have lost count of how many I have been to but I have been to every midnight premiere for at least 15 years of all the Marvel films, DC, Star Trek, Aliens and other stuff I can't remember. They even did one for the last Underworld film back in 2010 ish and I was the only person there :)

BenMcr
15-02-2022, 08:49
I've booked for 1pm on release day. Can't wait to see if I can easily spot the Glasgow locations used in the film.
It's odd when you see the places you know turn up in films like that.

A lot of the 1940s 'New York' scenes in the first Captain America are in Manchester and Liverpool. Pretty obvious if you know where they filmed.

Stephen
15-02-2022, 09:26
It's odd when you see the places you know turn up in films like that.

A lot of the 1940s 'New York' scenes in the first Captain America are in Manchester and Liverpool. Pretty obvious if you know where they filmed.
I'm hoping I can spot them. One big part was the Necropolis which is part of the cities big old graveyard. Think its the lead up to Wayne Manor and the exit where the Batmobile exits the batcave.

We also had major parts of The Brad Pit Zombie film filmed on George Square and a couple of Fast and Furipus films were shot there too. As was bits of Hobb and Shaw.

They also filmed bits of The Flash movie around Glasgow too. However 100% of Batgirl is being filmed in Glasgow. It's been weird walking around parts of Gotham with all the set decorations and fake snow etc. I think Cloud Atlas had a few bits shot in Glasgow
too.

There was a Benedict Cumberbatch TV show filmed in Glasgow too in place of New Yprk Coty. Glasgow was also recently used to film big parts of the New Indiana Jones with them turning it into NYC in 1969. It looked so cool.