PDA

View Full Version : Solo: A Star Wars Story

denphone
17-10-2017, 18:06
In a surprise announcement today, director Ron Howard revealed the official name of the untitled Han Solo film: Solo: A Star Wars Story.

http://www.starwars.com/news/official-name-for-the-untitled-han-solo-film-revealed

admars
17-10-2017, 18:17
thanks, but once again they miss a trick don't they...

Solo: A Star Wars Story, set prior to the events of the original Star Wars trilogy, is slated for release on May 25, 2018.

Paul
17-10-2017, 21:13
Umm, what trick have they missed :confused:

denphone
17-10-2017, 21:25
Perhaps he thinks it should be released for the Christmas market.

admars
18-10-2017, 08:37
releasing in May, but missing the 4th.

denphone
18-10-2017, 10:09
releasing in May, but missing the 4th.

Are you talking about independence day as that is on the 4th of July.:)

Maggy
18-10-2017, 10:34
May the 4th be with you....

Paul
18-10-2017, 14:32
They are actually following the original tradition.
Prior to the December releases of the latest trilogy, they were all released in the second half of May.

It will be interesting to see the first one directed by "Richie".

General Maximus
18-10-2017, 17:30
what would be nice and gain some fan appreciation is if they stick to that naming format now going forward for all standalone spin-offs; NAME: A Star Wars Story.

They are making another one about Boba Fett or Jango (can't remember which one) so now that should be called something like The Bounty Hunter Tales: A Star Wars Story.

Anonymouse
27-12-2017, 18:36
It'd have to be about Boba; you might recall the brief...discussion...Jango had with Mace Windu. Jango quite lost his head during their spirited discourse. :p:

An important lesson: don't mess with a Korun Master Jedi with an ultra-cool violet lightsabre (unless you're a low-down deceiver like Darth Vader, that is!).

As for Solo: I'm looking forward to it. I'd like to see:
How Han won the Falcon from Lando;
How he and Chewie got to be such good friends (maybe Han rescued Chewie from an Imperial work gang? A number of novels have portrayed enslaved Wookies helping to build the Death Star);
How Han set the Kessel Run speed record;
And, of course, his "outrunning Imperial starships...not the local bulk cruisers, mind you, I'm talkin' about the big Corellian ships now".

General Maximus
17-01-2018, 18:43
The official synopsis for Solo: A Star Wars Story was revealed today, offering some new details on the upcoming film. Read it below:

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

Stephen
17-01-2018, 18:47
So guessing that synopsis was just badly written as we all know he won the Falcon off Lando at somepoint in their past.

General Maximus
17-01-2018, 19:01
yeah, we'll see what happens. It will be interesting to see how they are going to play it. I know they were behind schedule in production but I would have thought they would want to get a trailer or at least a teaser out now to start drumming up some excitement. They might be leaving it till after Black Panther but going by that logic they'll still be encroaching on Infinity War.

Damien
18-01-2018, 12:30
It will be interesting to see if Ron Howard has managed to save the film. The whole production seemed to be in crisis before the director was changed it seemed.

General Maximus
19-01-2018, 18:47
yup, I know a lot of people till think it is going to be pants but I am going to give it a chance because I think Ron Howard is ace. The funny thing is that I think I read somewhere last week that John Williams is doing the score as well. If so, that tells you something was definitely wrong and Lucasfilm/Disney are doing everything they can to fix it and pull the core fans back.

techguyone
19-01-2018, 23:28
I hope its a damned sight better than that shit served up in TLJ, given the whole damned movie was reshot, and has gone through 3? directors, I'm not optimistic.

I for(ce)e [see what I did there ] :D a bout of franchise fatigue ensuing here.

(I cross my fingers and fervently hope it'll be as good as R1 but we'll see)

Paul
20-01-2018, 15:31
TBH, I'm not expecting this to be brilliant.

However, I will go and see it - give it the chance to surprise me.

Stephen
20-01-2018, 16:03
Well I didn't expect Rougue One to be any good and it turned out fantastic. So we shall have to wait and see.

With the Director changing and so much of the movie getting re shot, I really hope Ron Howard did a good job.

General Maximus
21-01-2018, 14:05
yeah, the thing which you have got think about with films like this is what I like to call the "risk factor". We are expecting it to be rubbish and not worth our money and time but knowing that changes have been made and there is a chance it could possibly be good, do you want to take the "risk" of not seeing at the cinema? I would rather pay to go and see it and come out disappointed than not see it at the cinema, watch it on tv afterwards to find out that it is actually half decent and be very annoyed with myself that I didn't see it on the big screen. It will be a missed opportunity and you have got to ask yourself which is the lesser of two evils?

Damien
21-01-2018, 14:10
I always tend to like films anyway unless they’re really bad. There are plenty of films I wouldn’t watch again but I rarely think it’s a waste of time and money, something about cinema is enjoyable in itself. So I doubt I’ll be disappointed and my expectations are low anyway. Ron Howard is a good director too.

General Maximus
21-01-2018, 14:46
Ron Howard is a good director too.
exactly, think about Splash, Cocoon, Willow, Backdraft, Apollo 13, Ransom, The Davinci Code series, A Beautiful Mind and ask yourself if you think Ron Howard will make a bad film.

General Maximus
05-02-2018, 11:24
I am optimistic

9Szts88zY4o

techguyone
05-02-2018, 11:43
Hopefully it'll be as good as Rogue One, if it is, I'm not going to bother watching the mainstream films anymore because theyre so shite.

I am a bit concerned about franchise fatigue though, no studio will self sustain bunging out a film every year or even more frequently.

Stephen
05-02-2018, 12:01
The full Teaser will apparently be released today.

I'm still hopeful. Although why on earth does the falcon look so shiny and New?? The corridors in that spot look as white as an apple product!

General Maximus
05-02-2018, 12:09
The corridors in that spot look as white as an apple product!
Funny you should say that because when i saw it i thought like were on an alliance/diplomatic type ship like Leia was on at the beginning of ep4.

I wondering if out of desparartion they have tried to include as much stuff into the set design as they can to make it look like mainstream Star Wars as much as they can.

Hopefully it'll be as good as Rogue One
no way. It may be good, and probably better than The Last Jedi (for me), but I don't think anything is going to beat Rogue One.

Hugh
05-02-2018, 13:45
I hope its a damned sight better than that shit served up in TLJ, given the whole damned movie was reshot, and has gone through 3? directors, I'm not optimistic.

I for(ce)e [see what I did there ] :D a bout of franchise fatigue ensuing here.

(I cross my fingers and fervently hope it'll be as good as R1 but we'll see)TLJ had only one director, Rian Johnson, and had less re-shoots than Rogue One.

General Maximus
05-02-2018, 14:00
He is talking about Solo saying it should be better than TLJ because they have had 3 directors on it and been given a second chance with a reshoot so they havent got an excuse.

Stephen
05-02-2018, 14:14
The full Teaser has just droppeddNW0B0HsvVs

Hugh
05-02-2018, 14:17
He is talking about Solo saying it should be better than TLJ because they have had 3 directors on it and been given a second chance with a reshoot so they havent got an excuse.Thanks for the clarification.

Obvs. everyone didn't share his opinion on TLJ, as it made over $1.3 billion worldwide...

denphone
05-02-2018, 14:47
He is talking about Solo saying it should be better than TLJ because they have had 3 directors on it and been given a second chance with a reshoot so they havent got an excuse.

Well General you are entitled to your opinion but on TLJ but l disagree with you totally on that one..

General Maximus
05-02-2018, 16:07
That wasnt my opinion, it was techguyone's

techguyone
05-02-2018, 16:31
heh yea Hugh it was so fantastic all the chinese cinemas pulled it inside of two weeks, despite poking in a chinese actress to keep them all warm and fuzzy.

Wonder how much of that 1.3 billion was spent on the marketing :D

denphone
05-02-2018, 17:02
That wasnt my opinion, it was techguyone's

Oh dear l do apologise General.:)

Stephen
05-02-2018, 17:31
heh yea Hugh it was so fantastic all the chinese cinemas pulled it inside of two weeks, despite poking in a chinese actress to keep them all warm and fuzzy.

Wonder how much of that 1.3 billion was spent on the marketing :D
Well I and most people I spoke to about TLJ enjoyed it. People moaned that TFA was a rehash and almost the same as ANH. That when they made a film that was different everyone moaned that it wasn't the same lol.

I do hope this Solo movie is good.

pip08456
05-02-2018, 17:38
Well I and most people I spoke to about TLJ enjoyed it. People moaned that TFA was a rehash and almost the same as ANH. That when they made a film that was different everyone moaned that it wasn't the same lol.

I do hope this Solo movie is good.

It has every chance of being one of the best. A story of a rebel becoming a REBEL!

Hugh
05-02-2018, 17:41

Wonder how much of that 1.3 billion was spent on the marketing :DThat's because the original trilogy wasn't allowed to be released in China at the time, so they don't have the background/back story that the rest of the world has.

Re the marketing budget - nice try, but nobody spends a billion dollars on marketing... ;)

Paul
05-02-2018, 20:04
This is not about TLJ, if you want to bitch about that, use its thread.

The trailer looks good to me, nothing in there to put me off going to see it. :)

pip08456
05-02-2018, 20:24
It's thread.;):p:

General Maximus
05-02-2018, 21:16
It's thread.;):p:
the egg is on your face :D Paul was right first time round. Its with the apostrophe means belonging to and in this context we are referring to the thread belonging to The Last Jedi and "its" thread. It's is an abbreviation of "it is" and we are not saying "it is thread".

The trailer looks good to me, nothing in there to put me off going to see it. :)
I was enthusiastic this morning having watched the teaser of the teaser but now that I have seen Han Solo I am less so. He doesn't need to be Harrison Ford but in the few seconds they have shown us Han just doesn't feel right with the mannerisms and the way he talks. Yes this is a standalone film but you can't start from scratch and reinvent the character because he is based on something billions of people know. Everyone now and again actors come into new series/movies and play dumb thinking that they are offering a fresh perspective on something (Torri Higginson comes to mind with Stargate Atlantis, she knew sweet FA) but in this instance you would have thought that even if the studio didn't make you do it, as an actor you would want to sit down and watch the original trilogy over and over again so you could mimic Han Solo as much as possible in the way you talk, move your body, hold you gun and everything. I understand why they thought his acting was wooden.

I'll still go and see it because it is a sci-fi action but atm je ne suis pas impressed.

pip08456
06-02-2018, 21:08
Breaking: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-game-of-thrones-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/

Stephen
06-02-2018, 22:56
That would be better in the main Disney buys Star Wars thread.

General Maximus
07-02-2018, 10:40
I think it is fantastic news and a very clever move by Lucas Film. I they have been paid a small fortune for it. The sad thing is that I think it is going to create two different standards like the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy. I know you'll all you disagree with me but I can see the Rian Johnson trilogy being carp and the Weiss & Benioff trilogy being out of this world.

admars
27-03-2018, 16:49
May the 24th in UK now

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 10:46
New trailer:

MYV3CzllHRs

denphone
09-04-2018, 11:15
Can't wait as they say..:hyper::hyper::hyper:

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 11:25
I can, I am not going to watch it. When I watch this I don't for 1 second believe this dude is Han Solo and if it wasn't for the fact that I knew the film was about him I would never make the connection. If you showed me some footage of him minus Chewie etc and asked me who he reminded me of I wouldn't have a clue. Lucas Film have a responsibility to find an actor (or train one) who can impersonate Han Solo as we know him and the way he talks, the inflections and body language. Nothing about this guy is Han Solo and tbh if they don't care and are willing to cast anybody then I would have done it for free for them. At least I would have studied the films and watched them a million times to try and get Han down to a T. I am not really getting what the story is supposed to be about from the trailer and for me there are no positives in this trailer which make me want to watch it (ever). This is the first time I have ever had an opportunity to talk about a film like this due to the rarity of the saga and story line (and the first time I have ever wanted to) but for me this film is all about risk and I am not prepared to risk it ruining the Han Solo character for me plus others such as Lando. I am quite happy to live in ignorant bliss and pretend it doesn't exist.

No No No No No
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

pip08456
09-04-2018, 11:50
I find your comments a bit puzzling General.

You are comparing the Solo you know with the Solo that possibly was.

What happens in our younger years craft what we are in later life. I know I'm certainly not the same as I was in my twenties, in a few ways yes but in others certainly not.

I'm hoping this film will show how and why he became the Solo we know.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 12:18
I know what you mean but i am talking about the little things like his accent, the way he talks and smiles etc. I appreciate that his attitude and demeanor (sp) will change through experience and i respect that as it makes sense and contributes to my "realism factor". They should have hired a vocal touch plus whoever to get the right voice, charm and swagger. I very much doubt that they have cleverly written the story so that he starts the film with a personality that is unfamiliar to us and by the end of the film he is a mirror image of Han Solo based on his experiences.

techguyone
09-04-2018, 12:34
They managed to rescue Rogue 1 to make it one of the best Star Wars, although the characters were not based on anything familiar.

I'm not terribly hopeful this will work.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 12:48
Rogue 1 to make it one of the best Star Wars, although the characters were not based on anything familiar.
Exactly, and i have stated quite a few times that it is my favourite Star Wars film. It is all about realism and keeping true to what you know. It might have been new characters in new locations but it was still pure Star Wars. The most memorable moment for me is Samurai dude and "i am one with the force, the force is with me". It is all about the message and keeping the faith.

pip08456
09-04-2018, 12:53
I know what you mean but i am talking about the little things like his accent, the way he talks and smiles etc. I appreciate that his attitude and demeanor (sp) will change through experience and i respect that as it makes sense and contributes to my "realism factor". They should have hired a vocal touch plus whoever to get the right voice, charm and swagger. I very much doubt that they have cleverly written the story so that he starts the film with a personality that is unfamiliar to us and by the end of the film he is a mirror image of Han Solo based on his experiences.

I want you to really think about this before you reply.

Are you looking for a Harrison Ford clone or the character/s he portrayed?

His accent, the way he talked and smiled were no different just look at the way he played Indiana Jones as one example.

Like it or not actors do bring part of their own personality into the roles they play.

Could anyone play the part of Rommie the same in an earlier version of Andromeda like Lexa Doig (there was a previous crew and mission)? Certainly not!
Could anyone other than Zoie Palmer play Android the same in Dark Matter? No!

I could go on but I don't think it's necessary, you seem to be getting hung up about how the role is portrayed rather than the story line (story arc).

denphone
09-04-2018, 13:11
l find Generals comments baffling too as surely he does not expect to see the Hans Solo we all know from the other films played by Harrison Ford as this is a younger version played by another actor and it was pretty obvious he was going to be different from what was seen before.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 13:40
I don't think you understand the point I am trying to make. Life experiences and everything you go through will mould your future self but there has got to be something there to build on to start off with. The best example of this I can think of is James T. Kirk and Chris Pine in Star Trek 2009. I didn't even think about it at time or even notice it because I was more worried about the story and technology but in retrospect Chris Pine did an amazing job in presenting us with a younger more reckless Kirk which we can identify with and knowing the characters future, see the events which shape him into the person we know today. In the subsequent films I didn't think "oh there is Chris Pine trying to be Kirk" because I know him to be somebody different, I watched it believing that that truly is the young James Kirk.

This dude doesn't do that with his performance of Han Solo and had might as well be random smuggler X who is borrowing the Millennium Flacon.

pip08456
09-04-2018, 13:42
Yep Den. I've never seen him come over as this before. I get it he's a Star War fan but I also know he's a big SciFi fan like me.

I wonder if he'll use the same criteria to the Lost In Space remake?

Over to you General.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 14:18
Yep Den. I've never seen him come over as this before. I get it he's a Star War fan but I also know he's a big SciFi fan like me.
sure am a scifi fan and I am normally very chilled out and would give something like this the benefit of doubt even if I wasn't too sure about it because up and till now I have not wanted to take the risk of losing out on a semi-decent scifi film but The Last Jedi has left me very bitter. What you have got to think of is that it is getting very close to release and we have hardly heard anything. There are only two explanations for it a) they don't have a lot of confidence in it and are keeping it very close to their chest to avoid people like me making these types of comments (which is why you hardly saw him in the first teaser) b) Disney know Infinity War is probably going to be the biggest film of the year and are putting all their eggs in one basket. I know the films are a month apart but if I were them I wouldn't be holding my breath for Solo and throwing everything I had at Infinity War.

Brings me to another example and good point though following on from my Chris Pine example. When I saw the trailer for Infinity War and heard the theme music and voices I just froze and I can't describe the emotions and feeling that went through my body. You can just tell it is going to be awesome and it isn't because of the action and special effects. It is all about the carefully crafted characters and their personalities. You might say I can't compare Infinity War because it isn't a prequel and is based on the same era of characters that we know so lets talk about Black Panther. I know it isn't a prequel but it is something new which gelled perfectly into the MCU, fantastic story and so many excellent characters. When I saw Danai Gurira I didn't think "oh there is Michonne from TWD trying to do something different for a few extra $$$ between seasons". I just this amazing character Okeye who is a kickass General and a truly believable performance. I don't get any of that from Solo.

I wonder if he'll use the same criteria to the Lost In Space remake?
sure will but not in the context of this thread though. The last time I saw Lost in Space was when I was 8 so that was 30 years ago. Literally all I can remember is the Dr's face and the robot flapping his arms saying "danger Will Robinson". It will however be subject to my "realism factor" and if anything it will be eligible for harsher criticism that normal. Coincidentally I read the feature on it in SFX this morning and the writers were saying how although this is a scifi series, it is all about the drama and relationships between the family members and how they overcome obstacles in the new and unpredictable situations. It is people's behaviour/reactions which bug me the most (e.g. stupid f*ing Rose in TLJ) so if they do something stupid which I think is unrealistic. It is scifi and fantasy so the story and situations thrust upon will be unrealistic and fantastical in terms of today's science but if we believe that universe exists (e.g Star Trek/MCU) then when we witness events happening we ask ourselves "how would I react in that situation?" Everyone is different so it isn't always a case of what I would do but "would somebody actually do that having evaluated the circumstances of their situations and decided what the best course of action is". I'll let you if I have any gripes with Lost in Space. First impressions from the trailer though look amazing and like I said with the gloves last week, when you have got a team who care so much about the detail and making everything as "realistic" as possible, I am not expecting there to be anything wrong with and am looking forward to lying down and immersing myself in an amazing story.

I have been holding myself back from moaning but I have finally caught up with X-Files. I watched season 10 yesterday and started season 11 this morning. Putting the stories aside and how far fetched some of the stuff is, the way the characters are reacting to some situations is not in keeping with what we know and that is all I am going to say for the moment.

pip08456
09-04-2018, 14:31
I'm sorry General but you haven't answered anything.

You've had a bit of a rant though.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 15:14
I'm sorry General but you haven't answered anything.
To put it simply it just doesn't feel right. I am sure we have watched many a trailer which made the film look good/worth a watch and it turned out to be disappointing but this trailer doesn't do anything for me. They have had two cracks at it now and the best I can hope for atm is an average scifi action film and that is if the story and action sequences are good. Unfortunately 90% of the premise of this film is Han Solo's origin story and regardless of how excellent the rest of the film is, if this dude isn't a believable Han Solo then it is going to completely ruin the film

You've had a bit of a rant though.
nope, nothing I have said today has been an intentional rant, I have done my best to provide explanation and examples of my initial assertion

Stephen
09-04-2018, 16:12
General....

Perhaps they are actually not talking about it too much or releasing loads of clips and trailers as they want to keep a bit of mystery and don't want to totally spoil the movie.

This version of Han is meant to be 18-23 I think and has also only just met Chewie and Lando. So there is a lot of changes for the character and also won't have gotten involved with the Hutts. These things in part may bring on a change in Han that lead him to become the parson we know and of course can change his outlook in life so may also affect way of talking and attitude.

but at the end of the day he is an actor playing a part and not a clone of Ford. Will Glover be 100% the same as Billy-Dee Williams? Probably not.

I felt a lot more excited by that new trailer and am now a lot more hopeful it will at least be fairly decent.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 16:31
I felt a lot more excited by that new trailer and am now a lot more hopeful it will at least be fairly decent.
It had the opposite effect for me. When I saw the teaser I was willing to give it a go but now that I have seen the trailer I am not interested full stop, cinema or otherwise.

Stephen
09-04-2018, 18:52
Personally I don't let a trailer stop me from seeing a film. Not always a fair representation of a movie or the scenes involved as many can be taken out of context or not even make it to the movie.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 19:33
Not always a fair representation of a movie.
I disagree, the whole point of trailers are to advertise the movie and give it a positive spin. I have seen a couple of films recently where the way they edited the trailer made it look like a story line was going to go one way and it went somewhere else but that is fine because it adds to the surprise when watching the film. Trailers have got to representative of the film to some degree though otherwise nobody would be;oeve anything they see or hear. If the main actor in a film looks weak in the trailer then I assume that his entire performance in the film is going to be weak.

pip08456
09-04-2018, 19:44
I'm sorry General but this may be the first time I've disagreed with you. OK I'm not as centred on Star Wars as you are but I am a SciFi fan and expect pretty much the same as you when it comes to believability and the possible science behind it.

With this though it appears that you are letting your preconceived ideas of what Star Wars should be cloud your judgement on what the film should be.

Of course I could be totally wrong but to say you're not even going to watch it???

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 20:08
Of course I could be totally wrong
you are :D

you are letting your preconceived ideas of what Star Wars should be cloud your judgement (okay Yoda)
it is not my preconceived idea of Star Wars, it is my preconceived idea of Han Solo. The story can be about anything and I happy to be pleasantly surprised and if it was a standalone movie like Rogue One with people that we don't know then I go in open minded with a clean slate. When you have got established characters though which are decades old then a new actor (whether it is for a younger prequel or older sequel) needs to resemble the established persona which billions of people know and love. Same goes for if they decided to recast Carrie Fisher in Episode X.

I'm not as centred on Star Wars as you are
me neither. I am a fan in that I am very passionate about it and love it and would go to a Jedi Academy if one existed but I am not one of the diehard fans who reads all the books, collects stuff and knows everything about the Star Wars universe. I have watched the movies a million times and that is it.

pip08456
09-04-2018, 20:58
So by your own standard
it is my preconceived idea of Han Solo.
No-one changes from birth to death. No amount of outside influence or ordeals they may/may not have undergone will affect them.

General Maximus
09-04-2018, 21:14
They sure do but they also have a core personality that doesnt change. You could see it in Chris Pine in Star Trek but there isnt a hint of it here. If i cut him.out of that trailer and showed you the footage of him by himself would you identify him as Han Solo? You are probably going to say that the character hasnt developed into Han Solo yet and is someone completely unfamiliar to us and that is a fair point if we can expect to see this amazing character transformation throughout the film, i doubt it though. I normally hate reading the behind the scenes gossip with films but (in case you didnt know) they had to get an acting coach for him when they had pretty much finished principle photography and ended up going back and reshooting everything. That doesnt inspire me with confidence. I love Ron Howard and he has made some phenomenal films but he is going to have to have worked a miracle for this to turn out like you guys are hoping it will.

admars
09-04-2018, 21:48
Anakin in Episode 1 is a bit different to Vader in 4,5,6, Rogue One ;)

pip08456
09-04-2018, 21:59
They sure do but they also have a core personality that doesnt change. You could see it in Chris Pine in Star Trek but there isnt a hint of it here. If i cut him.out of that trailer and showed you the footage of him by himself would you identify him as Han Solo? You are probably going to say that the character hasnt developed into Han Solo yet and is someone completely unfamiliar to us and that is a fair point if we can expect to see this amazing character transformation throughout the film, i doubt it though. I normally hate reading the behind the scenes gossip with films but (in case you didnt know) they had to get an acting coach for him when they had pretty much finished principle photography and ended up going back and reshooting everything. That doesnt inspire me with confidence. I love Ron Howard and he has made some phenomenal films but he is going to have to have worked a miracle for this to turn out like you guys are hoping it will.

I'm not looking for a miracle. If it turns out to tell Solo's backstory in a good and fitting way then I'll be happy.

There was always more to Han Solo than came out in the previous episodic films.

Stephen
09-04-2018, 23:40

Ron Howard chose to reshoot most of the movie as he was hired to direct and must not have liked the footage he saw. He has a style and a way of doing things.

I read an article that said the other guys would shoot many many takes of each scene and Howard prefers nor or two then moves on. However the script never changed in his version.

I know for a fact that 18 year old me is nothing like me now. Both in the way I behaved and even The way I talk or walk.so a different actor playing a young Han should be different but also still recognisable.

I feel this will be good, but only time will tell.

General Maximus
10-04-2018, 00:23
I know for a fact that 18 year old me is nothing like me now.
that is probably why our opinions differ then. I am pretty much the same person now as I have been all my life. My tastes have not changed with regards to music and food etc and more importantly the way I think and view things. I got into science and biology at a very young age and I have always formed my opinions and made decisions based on facts and logic and because of that, decisions I made 25 years ago still stand today and what was right and wrong 25 years ago is still right and wrong today. Psychology does my nut in but you have raised an interesting point so if I have got the time tomorrow I am going to look this up and see which one of us is right because there are many examples in films and tv series of conflicted characters who end up meeting their fate and you get some quote from the good guy who finally catches up to them like "people don't change" and I am curious to know from a scientific point of view what is classed as your "core" or "base" personality and whether that ever changes.

pip08456
10-04-2018, 00:36
I don't think it's a matter of "core" I think that basically remains more or less the same. I think that it's more how you express yourself, how you come over to other people.

Ford's iteration of Solo came across as being a bit cynical (or a lot) which I can relate to. I'm certainly more cynical than what I was 40yrs ago and that comes across in the way I act and present myself, I hope I don't present myself in a bad way to others. My "core" hasn't changed but my demeanor certainly has, that's what I was referring to with Solo.

Stephen
10-04-2018, 01:00
I know I've grown as a person. I've experienced a lot and know it has changed me and the way I think about things and react to people. Tried a lot of food things I know I never would have when I was younger.

Of course a different younger actor is going to be different as they are a person playing a younger version of an established character but still need to have a few familiar traits to try and make us believe they are still that character. It has happened before to varying degrees of success.

pip08456
10-04-2018, 01:44
Can those traits be picked up from a trailer that is a cut of many scenes? I don't think so I also don't think it's a reason to say you're not watching the film.

General Maximus
20-04-2018, 20:12
god they must be desperate, I have just seen this whilst watching Sky News

W2qgtaUgvFk

Stephen
20-04-2018, 20:40
That's not desperation. That's marketing. There are so many Star Wars tie in sponsored adverts and products. Duracell had adverts for TFA.

General Maximus
21-04-2018, 11:35
For the last 2 weeks I have been dying for the new issue of SFX to come through the letterbox. I was hoping the cover was going to be a massive cast photo for Infinity War as a tribute to such a fantastic universe, but no, this turned up instead:

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2018/04/8.jpg

Stephen
21-04-2018, 14:18
He does have the pose right anyway. Empire is also Solo cover this month.

admars
21-04-2018, 16:27
I was suckered into buying Empire in Tesco today, when I saw the "proper" Han Solo, and it said Han Solo Encylopedia, I picked it up and saw it was Empire with the extra Han Solo supplement, so it fell into my trolley with the regular shopping :)

General Maximus - I think it was Total Film had some cover of ppl in lycra/spandex, and an extra booklet about some fairy tale super hero nonsense :)

General Maximus
02-05-2018, 14:58
kpkQ329cIz8

denphone
02-05-2018, 17:05
Bring it on..:hyper::hyper:

Stephen
02-05-2018, 18:16
i3Cyofu6hLE

General Maximus
02-05-2018, 20:55
it would be amazing to walk round a proper internal millennium falcon. It feels so real when they do things like that rather than just constructing individual section on a film set and editing it to make it look like they are continuous.

admars
04-05-2018, 12:19
Solo tickets are on sale now :)

General Maximus
04-05-2018, 12:26
I was thinking about that the other day. I thought it was weird that Dead Pool and Jurassic Park were up but not Solo

General Maximus
04-05-2018, 17:49
Oh dear you have got to laugh. I have just had a look and they are doing a midnight premiere for it and they are expecting it to be reasonably big because it is in 5 screens.

Stephen
04-05-2018, 17:56
Why have you to laugh?

It's Star Wars. Of course it will be big.

denphone
04-05-2018, 18:06
Oh dear you have got to laugh. I have just had a look and they are doing a midnight premiere for it and they are expecting it to be reasonably big because it is in 5 screens.

What makes you think that it won't be that big General?

General Maximus
05-05-2018, 08:42
I thought there was a general lack of interest in it due to the production delays and all the problems they have been having. I didn't think the proper adult fans were interested and the only people that would go are the young children who want to see laser gun fights and flying space ship battles.

Stephen
05-05-2018, 09:04
That's a poor assumption to make.

Of course there is a big buzz about the film. It's Star Wars. Adults and kids alike are interested. Adults mainly for the characters of Han, Chewie and Lando. As well as the Falcon.

It may not be a huge movie like the main films or Rogue One, but there really is a massive interest.

admars
05-05-2018, 09:55
General I really don't understand why you want it to be a flop now?

loads of ppl like romantic comedies, I have no interest in them whatsoever, so I don't watch them I don't read posts about them, or comment on them, and doesn't bother me if the new one coming out is good or not.

Surely you should be hoping that you're wrong? I know I am. I want it to be great, no one gains anything by it being bad, the film has had it's issues, but I'm pretty sure no one has gone out of the way to make a bad film, it's just had a few bad decision made along the way which most ppl are hoping they've put right. It's going to make a lot of money, but it will make even more if it's better than ppl are expecting, like Rogue One.

I didn't enjoy Last Jedi, but I want to give this a chance.

At the end of the day, I'd much rather watch a film, and enjoy it when I didn't think I would, rather than being able to go, "ha, I was right, you were wrong, it was rubbish, we've both wasted some time and money on that"

part of me thinks you'll see it in secret, and not tell us that you enjoyed it ;)

denphone
05-05-2018, 12:57
I thought there was a general lack of interest in it due to the production delays and all the problems they have been having. I didn't think the proper adult fans were interested and the only people that would go are the young children who want to see laser gun fights and flying space ship battles.

Well l am a proper adult fan and l certainly intend to see it plus some of my family intend to see it as well and if our household is a barometer of many households then its going to take a fair wrack at the box office IMO.

General Maximus
05-05-2018, 20:09
Surely you should be hoping that you're wrong?
sure am, I would love nothing more than for it to be a great movie, especially after the disappointment of The Last Jedi

part of me thinks you'll see it in secret, and not tell us that you enjoyed it ;)
I am more than happy to admit when I am wrong and I always like to give credit where it is due (likewise for criticism when something is obviously bad and shouldn't have happened).

its going to take a fair wrack at the box office IMO.
we can play a little game like we did for Infinity War. I don't think it is going to do anything special during the opening weekend and first week and I reckon it will gross around $700 million. I'll cry if it goes over $1bn and/or beats Rogue One.

Stephen
05-05-2018, 20:16
How is $700 million in the first week nothing special? That's a huge amount.

General Maximus
05-05-2018, 20:23
I meant $700 million total like Ready Player One has done just over $500 million

admars
05-05-2018, 21:50
The thing is, it's Star Wars, so ppl like me go and see it no matter what.

Look at Justice League, and Superman Vs Batman, both did well at the box office, but both were disappointments to most ppl, but like Solo, the name sells, there's a lot of Star Wars fans that will go see it opening weekend, regardless of what critics, friends etc say and if it's good will see it again.

Last Jedi took more than Rogue One :(

Stephen
06-05-2018, 00:21
http://www.slashfilm.com/solo-sequels/

Ron Howard has confirmed something you probably could’ve guessed for yourself: if Solo: A Star Wars Story breaks the bank at the box office, get ready for some Solo sequels. Star Alden Ehrenreich previously confirmed he signed for multiple Star Wars films when he took the lead in Solo.

A sequel to Solo, however, might work. The film is set a full decade before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope, which means there’s still room for further adventures of young Han Solo. Young Han Solo himself, Alden Ehrenreich, recently confirmed as much. The actor confirmed that he signed for a total of three films, which means he’s contracted to do at least two more movies set in the Star Wars universe. Of course, it’s worth noting that Rogue One actress Felicity Jones said she had signed a contract to appear in a Rogue One sequel as well, and yet that will probably never happen.

denphone
06-05-2018, 05:50
How is $700 million in the first week nothing special? That's a huge amount.

Mega blockbuster territory l would call it..

General Maximus
07-05-2018, 19:08
Mega blockbuster territory l would call it..
yeah, another trilogy of films and another $4bn

VCShIC0EhHs

Stephen
08-05-2018, 14:27
Lots of people certainly want to see the film
http://www.slashfilm.com/solo-a-star-wars-story-ticket-sales/
Solo: A Star Wars Story tickets went on sale just in time for Star Wars Day on May 4th, and within the first 24 hours, the smuggler’s origin story doubled the ticket presales of Black Panther. The Star Wars spin-off sold enough tickets to have the second-best first day of presales in 2018.

Stephen
11-05-2018, 15:27
http://www.slashfilm.com/solo-early-buzz/
The first reactions are almost entirely positive, with critics calling special attention to the film’s “ground level” crime setting and Donald Glover’s show-stealing turn as Lando Calrissian. Some note that the film takes about 30 minutes to really get going and it takes a little while to accept a new actor as Han Solo, but the parts eventually click into place

Sounds promising so far.

denphone
11-05-2018, 16:17
And l thought the original Lando Calrissian was very good so that does look very promising indeed...

General Maximus
17-05-2018, 13:08
I have just had a bit of a chuckle. I have been looking at the advanced bookings page for my Odeon seeing if there is anything new I can book advanced . As I have mentioned previously Solo is on in 5 screens at midnight next week. I have just had a look at the seating plans for all the screens and there are only ~10 seats booked in each screen. I think they have shot themselves in the foot with this one because with the other Star Wars movies and especially TLJ it was sold out long before now.

Paul
17-05-2018, 17:46
The timing of the release is a bit poor in the UK as well.

Its the day before may people will be going away for a weeks holiday (Me included) so I wont be seeing it until June.

Stephen
17-05-2018, 20:57
Well my local cine world has so far 135 seats booked in 2D, Superscreen has 67 seats booked, 4DX has 12 booked, 45 3D seats booked, 22 VIP 2D seats booked and 1 VIP 3D seat booked for all midnight showings.

I expect this to increase in next few days.

So far reviews all sound like it's generally good and a lot of fun, with the first act being rather poor.

admars
22-05-2018, 12:44
"It's a speed trap"

https://twitter.com/TheWookieeRoars/status/998628315777859585

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2018/05/11.jpg

General Maximus
22-05-2018, 14:37
That's great, i love stuff like this

General Maximus
22-05-2018, 18:49
vFQ8hsZsDkA

Stephen
24-05-2018, 08:50
According to the deductions in this article Solo takes place 9 years before A New Hope. Making Han about 20 in this.

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/when-does-solo-take-place-in-the-star-wars-timeline-heres-what-fans-should-know-9178320

According to Smuggler’s Run - A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure, which is a Star Wars: The Force Awakens prequel novel, and therefore part of the new canon, Chewie was at the Battle of Kashyyyk in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. And moreover, the book states he's 180 years old. That battle takes place in the year 19 BBY*, not long before the birth of the twins, means Chewie was 180 years old when they were born, when Han was all of 10.

techguyone
28-05-2018, 19:43
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44283427

Everywhere I've frequented online (rather a lot of places) it's being described as 'underwhelming' I'd suggest at this point that franchise fatigue has set in - still just over another year for the next. hey ho :D

General Maximus
28-05-2018, 20:08
it's being described as 'underwhelming' I'd suggest at this point that franchise fatigue has set in
they just need to learn that they don't shit gold and lots of thought and TLC needs to go into making a quality film. Although I thought I was going to be proved wrong, people aren't going to watch something just because it says "Star Wars" on the front. This poor start will put it on track for a $500 million gross which is what I predicted a few weeks ago. I didn't think it was going to happen though. Hopefully this will give them pause for though for the future and make them carefully consider who they get to do the films and how they do them. Out of the zillions of actors who must have auditioned for the role of Han, who picks somebody who can't flipping act?

Weekend Estimates: Solo Opens Lower than Expected with $101 million, Still Dominates Competition

Solo: A Star Wars Story opened with an estimated $83 million / $101 million over the three-day / four-day weekend. It had the best Memorial Day long weekend since 2014, when X-Men: Days of Future Past opened with $111 million over four days. In fact, this result is the fourth best Memorial Day long weekend opening in the past decade. That said, it was much lower than expected and some are calling it a box office failure. That’s complicated. The film was originally going to cost $150 million to make, making it the cheapest installment in the new Star Wars franchise. However, they reportedly had to reshoot 70% of the movie, which lifted the price to $250 million. The box office needed to break even during the film’s initial push into the home market rose from about $500 million to $650 million. And with an initial international debut of $65.0 million in 54 markets, this film is just not going to get there. The unending talk of behind-the-scenes trouble seems to have hurt the film’s box office chances and even its good reviews and its A minus from CinemaScore won’t be enough to turn things around. That said, it is far from a complete disaster and the franchise will continue, although it might be wise for Disney to not release so many installments in the franchise so quickly. Three in 18 months is a bit too much.

General Maximus
29-05-2018, 08:09
https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2018/05/15.jpg

millarman
05-06-2018, 19:20
Solo was officially declared a flop today!

Hugh
05-06-2018, 19:22
I enjoyed it - 7/10.

It was a heist movie in the Star Wars universe, filling in some of the Han/Chewie/Lando & Millennium Falcon back-story.

Stephen
05-06-2018, 20:03
Solo was officially declared a flop today!

By who?

I don't know many people that actually didn't enjoy it.

General Maximus
05-06-2018, 20:10
Solo: A Star Wars Story fell 65% to $29.40 million over the weekend for a two-week total of $148.99 million. The film is on pace to reach $200 million domestically, which would have been enough to break even eventually, had the film not needed extensive and expensive reshoots. Disney should still be very happy with the overall franchise, but will hopefully slow down the number of films that come out to one every other year.

Stephen
05-06-2018, 20:14
Where was the quote from?

Even folk who disliked TLJ really liked it.

Hugh
05-06-2018, 21:10
https://www.the-numbers.com/news/231250830-Weekend-Wrap-Up-Box-Office-Is-Far-from-Wonderful

Damien
05-06-2018, 22:30
I think Disney had braced themselves for the film to perform poorly after the problems they had in production and I am not sure if they thought Ron Howard could turn it around or salvage it and protect the franchise - otherwise why pay so much to reshoot so much of the film?

I am also not sure why they released it so near Infinity War and Deadpool since the franchises are big this year.

Chris
05-06-2018, 22:38
I saw it on Friday night and loved it. I especially loved the imperial military recruitment video that used John Williams’ Imperial March as its theme tune. :D

General Maximus
05-06-2018, 23:11
I don't know many people that actually didn't enjoy it.

Even folk who disliked TLJ really liked it.
yup, that is why it is doing so well

I am also not sure why they released it so near Infinity War and Deadpool since the franchises are big this year.
I can't remember the reasoning for it but originally it was planned for xmas like the other new Star Wars movies and they made the decision to bring it forward to May.to coincide with the release dates of the earlier movies.

Stephen
05-06-2018, 23:30
http://www.slashfilm.com/solo-box-office-failure/

Solo: A Star Wars Story has “only” garnered $264 million at the box office. While $264 seems like a lot of money (note: if anyone wants to give me “only” $264 million, I’d be fine with that), it’s a low figure for a Star Wars movie. The bad box office has inspired a plethora of takes. Some blame franchise fatigue; some think the film should’ve moved to a December release date, since December seems to be the new home for Star Wars; some think the behind-the-scenes production woes, like the firing of original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, turned off fans. But maybe the real reason Solo failed is marketing.

techguyone
06-06-2018, 08:03
It's more like the costs, wasn't 80% reshot? plus 3? directors coming and going, It's probably easier to think of it as costing the same as two non problem beset films would have cost.

It's a flop, for those doubting, it's been like everywhere you look online, are they all wrong?

I know people like to cling to their franchises but this one needs a break possibly a retirement. The only thing half decent that came out in the last ten years was Rogue One and that too was reshot extensively.

Here's a thought, stop all the SJW bullshit 'The Force is Female' :rolleyes:, get rid of Kathleen Kennedy and try again - in about 3 years.

Stephen
06-06-2018, 09:22
It flopped in terms of money yes.

If they had stuck to the December 2018 date it might have done better.

They reshot about 70% of the film but Ron Howard said the script was never changed. Whereas Rogue One changed the full third act during reshoots.

Chris
06-06-2018, 10:22
It sounds to me as if the real problem has been dubious hiring decisions. If anyone needs kicking, it is someone higher up the food chain at Disney who doesn’t seem to know how to hire/brief a senior production team.

I’ll say it again: I loved Solo, and I was delighted that they so obviously set it up for a sequel with the reveal at the end.

Hugh
06-06-2018, 10:31
It sounds to me as if the real problem has been dubious hiring decisions. If anyone needs kicking, it is someone higher up the food chain at Disney who doesn’t seem to know how to hire/brief a senior production team.

I’ll say it again: I loved Solo, and I was delighted that they so obviously set it up for a sequel with the reveal at the end.Agreed

Damien
06-06-2018, 10:41
Here's a thought, stop all the SJW bullshit 'The Force is Female' :rolleyes:, get rid of Kathleen Kennedy and try again - in about 3 years.

Of all the objections to the Star Wars films the idea casting a female lead is the weakest. Everytime a woman is given a top role people accuse films of 'SJW' agendas. Also the ones with Rey are not the films that have problems with production, reviews or commercial success.

They reshot about 70% of the film but Ron Howard said the script was never changed. Whereas Rogue One changed the full third act during reshoots.

We'll never know what the actual problem with the original was since there was never a final cut of what the film would have been. It sounds like budgets spiralled out of control, the directors took too long to get their shots and were unclear on it and Disney seemed to freak out at what they were seeing.

The reshoots on Rogue One were objections to the ending. It wasn't as extensive a overhaul as what happened with Solo. A few reshoots is more common than reshooting so much of the film.

Disney probably do need to look at how they've managed to be unhappy at both of the non-Skywalker Star Wars films. Bizarrely it seems they give the director/writers on the main part of the franchise more freedom than they do the the 'spin-off' films.

I’ll say it again: I loved Solo, and I was delighted that they so obviously set it up for a sequel with the reveal at the end.

I would be surprised if they did a sequel considering the performance of this film. Especially since it's an easy timeline to ditch.

General Maximus
06-06-2018, 10:45
I know people like to cling to their franchises but this one needs a break possibly a retirement.
I agree, they need to scrap the Bobba Fett film as well (and the Rian Johnson trilogy imho) and concentrate on quality over quantity and let GoT guys do their thing plus think of something else for the future. It isn't going to happen though because somebody will be thinking "one film per year = $10bn in merchandise". I would love to see a Yoda origin story trilogy which deals with the force and morals and all that stuff; true Star Warsness.

If anyone needs kicking, it is someone higher up the food chain at Disney who doesn’t seem to know how to hire/brief a senior production team.
I disagree, Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy are supposed to have complete autonomy over the Star Wars franchise with no interference from Disney at all. If someone needs to go maybe it is Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasden or the casting director. Disney might get involved now but this is only one flop out of five so as far they are concerned it probably isn't an issue.

admars
06-06-2018, 11:37
it may end up not being a commercial flop.

I know a few of you haven't enjoyed it, but all the real life people I know have, some people would have been put off seeing this one after Last Jedi, but when friends family etc tell them it's good will go and see it.

plus they know fully well, that the Blu Ray and DVD will sell by the bucket load, perhaps it will do better than anticipated, as I'd imagine the ppl more interested in this film, were the older fans, who are perhaps more likely to wait for home release, due to the cost of cinema.

(4 of my last 6 cinema visits have been Star Wars, the other 2 kids' films, years ago I'd go at least once a month!)

techguyone
06-06-2018, 11:48
When I refer to the SJW thing, I'm not referring to Rey per se, how about Admiral fcukwit Holdo, the 'feminist droid in Solo, the general 'man is bad, women is good' themes entering in the last few films, the last franchise that did that 'Ghostbusters' also flopped miserably, why is that?
We're all misogynist pigs?

Or perhaps we don't need that rammed down our faces all the time, Here's some examples of non SJW feminist friendly and palatable films.
Alien/Aliens, I'll toss in Terminator too for an added bonus.
Gasp, horror these came out in the 70's & 80's how progressive...

Fact of the matter is, people dislike continually being told they're something they're not.

Hugh
06-06-2018, 13:55
L3-37 wasnt a feminist droid, she was a revolutionary droid, who wanted emancipation for droids, rather than them just being owned - it just happened to have a female voice.

Damien
06-06-2018, 14:12
Even if she was a feminist droid I wouldn't really see the issue. This is a world with all sorts of characters, of different species, different races and stuff. If talking droids, Yoda and evil guys who can shoot lasers out of their hands exist then I don't see feminists as a step too far. :D

General Maximus
07-06-2018, 07:29
https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2018/06/3.png

General Maximus
25-09-2018, 19:56
mWyncgcwyoc

Stephen
25-09-2018, 20:59
Honest Trailers are always Awesome!

General Maximus
06-10-2018, 14:01
u3kBzyJJDak