PDA

View Full Version : A-Level Results!

Damien
18-08-2005, 08:51
Hey Hey!

Today the A-Level results come out!! I am not doing A Levels because I chose to do AVCE (I wanted to do A-Levels but AVCE was the only option for ICT). Anyway, Looking forward to it as I failed by GCSE'S and had to retake before going onto A-Level standard, so today it will only be over and I get to see what the last 3 years bring :disturbd:

Good luck to anyone else getting theirs today, Post your results :tu: (if you want to)

Steve H
18-08-2005, 09:17
Not got mine yet ; going in in a bit to get them.

However, i've been confirmed my place at Uni - which although the course offer wasn't that high (220 points) ... it's still a relief :)

AndrewJ
18-08-2005, 09:20
Well done and good luck all, for all those in range

Regal Moon is advertising bring any results today to them ( regal moons in rochdale town centre ) and get 10% of all meals plus other various discounts this also includes drinks ;)

Maggy
18-08-2005, 09:52
Son is awaiting AS level results..I'm hoping he had pulled up his socks enough to pass them or it means an extra year trying to chase better results OR getting a job..

He did say that I might not be happy with his results and still be angry with him on his birthday(Saturday) but as I said it's not my problem..it's his.If he doesn't work at this stage of his life without nagging he's on his own.He's a fully fledged adult next year and I can no longer tell him what to do..So I won't.I just won't be able to financially to support him any further than through university IF he gets the right results.

Would help if he had some idea of what he wants. :shrug:

AndrewJ
18-08-2005, 09:53
Sounds like your having problems there Incog?

dd2k
18-08-2005, 10:02
i did a BTEC National Diploma in IT support(equiv to 3 A-Levels), i knew my reults as i was going along as its modular assesed, id hate the waiting game that A-Level students have to go through.

I got Distinction Merit Merit, or B B C in A-Level talk :D

Maggy
18-08-2005, 10:02
Sounds like your having problems there Incog?

No he's ok really.He's not a chav,he's not hanging around street corners, he doesn't smoke, hates alcohol(and drunks) and I don't think he is into drugs either.

He just haunts his room all day and haunts the internet most of the night. :)

AndrewJ
18-08-2005, 10:04
LOL I hope he does well Incog. :tu:

Kliro
18-08-2005, 15:13
Got mine, wasnt too pleased, but what can you do:

Geology A
Geography B
Biology D :(
Chemistry E (not bad considering I didn't revise for this one)

Am retaking some modules in January, hopefully ending up with AAB

I might be too lazy though, we'll see.....

Chris W
18-08-2005, 15:15
Look on the bright side.... your results spell something...

BEAD :D

xcdtowg
18-08-2005, 15:29
Just flown back from holiday and went straight to pick up my results.
I got AAC , A's in Psychology and Communications and a C in Sociology, my uni course only needs 3 D's to get in, so I think I'm set for uni :)
Grats to everyone else who recieved their results today, hope your all celebrating :D

Dave Stones
18-08-2005, 15:45
Just flown back from holiday and went straight to pick up my results.
I got AAC , A's in Psychology and Communications and a C in Sociology, my uni course only needs 3 D's to get in, so I think I'm set for uni :)
Grats to everyone else who recieved their results today, hope your all celebrating :D

what is communications? havent heard of that one before :erm:

i got BCCC when i did mine a couple of years ago, just to throw back to nostalgia... and an A in computing AS...

hey, it earned me an alumni posting... ;)http://www.greenhead.ac.uk/prospectus/after_gc/after.htm

for people too lazy:

DAVID STONES came to Greenhead from Castle Hall High School with a very strong all-round academic record. He followed courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computing and General Studies. He participated in the college's work-shadowing scheme and spent a week shadowing technical IT engineers, who install and service commercial computing systems. David is now at Birmingham University on a Mechanical Engineering degree course. http://www.greenhead.ac.uk/prospectus/after_gc/images2003/leavers03/1791.jpg

Nugget
18-08-2005, 15:56
what is communications? havent heard of that one before :erm:

i got BCCC when i did mine a couple of years ago, just to throw back to nostalgia... and an A in computing AS...

hey, it earned me an alumni posting... ;)http://www.greenhead.ac.uk/prospectus/after_gc/after.htm

for people too lazy:

[/right]

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh, bless the boy - don't you look young :D :p:

Nemesis
18-08-2005, 15:58
ugly too :D

Is he your brother Nug ;) :rofl:

Dave Stones
18-08-2005, 15:59
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh, bless the boy - don't you look young :D :p:

well remember it was taken back in the heady days of me being 16 ;)

jealousy manifests itself in many ways, i see ;)

xcdtowg
18-08-2005, 16:00
Yeah communications, you can't even revise for the thing its such a weird subject...I did take english, socilogy and psych, but they made me pick up another to drop after the first year, I picked comms as it fitted into my timetable, but after a year I realised I sucked at english :rolleyes: So I carried on with comms, its a mixed course, based on english, law, general studies, psych, sociology and media studies. Its the course you take if you want to get into journalism and things like film studies. :confused: I still have nightmares about having to watch tina turner and cher videos and analysed why cher was half naked and sitting on top of a giant cannon :Yikes: Think thats a perfect example of comunication studies :p:

Ooooh get you and your fancy college :) Very posh!

Dave Stones
18-08-2005, 16:03
one of the best colleges in the country, dontcha know ;) *waves male appendages*

I always hated subjects where you had to analyse things for hidden meanings, i got into many an argument with the teacher because of my "the author wrote it like that because that's what they thought, not because they wanted to hide a secret meaning that no one else except english GCSE students can see" viewpoint... :erm:

xcdtowg
18-08-2005, 16:09
Yeah, think my teacher prety much hated me by the end of the course for my constant taking the rip out of everything, at least he stopped asking me silly questions. ;) The course just teaches you how to talk out of your backside, very useful in journalism :p:
I'd have given you extra marks for that answear myself though :)

Dave Stones
18-08-2005, 16:10
I'd have given you extra marks for that answear myself though :)

strangely, i never dared write that in an answer.... though i made a mockery of general studies :D still came out with a high C too... ahhh, edexcel :)

Scarlett
18-08-2005, 16:33
... a C in Sociology...

Ah so not only did you actually write you name on the paper, it was spelt right!
:D :D :D

Ah the heady days of a-level's when we got bored and baited the humanaties students... (I did Physics, Maths and Comp sci)

Seriously well done!

Chris
18-08-2005, 16:36
Ah so not only did you actually write you name on the paper, it was spelt right!

Ah the heady days of a-level's when we got bored and baited the humanaties students... (I did Physics, Maths and Comp sci)

Seriously well done!

Humanities? It's Sociology. If you get an ology, you're a scientist. :D

Ramrod
18-08-2005, 16:38
Well done all of you! :tu: :)

Nugget
18-08-2005, 16:38

jealousy manifests itself in many ways, i see ;)

It's funny really - I never thought Nem was a troll, until I saw a picture of him ;) :p:

xcdtowg
18-08-2005, 16:43

Seriously well done!

I seriously thought about not putting down my subjects because I knew some smartarse would say that they are not hard subjects...tsch, you try and write crap for 3 hours :p: I'm surprised most of my class arn't in a coma from how boring it was ;)

eerrrr
18-08-2005, 17:15
I got mine today;
Computing - A
English Literature - A
Maths - B
Physics - B

In the 3 general studies exams I got an A, C and an E which was a bit rubbish, and the worst thing is that I have no idea which paper I got which result in. :S
Fortunately those results keep me on track for the ABB requirement of Bath Uni.

And well done everyone!

Edit: Those were AS level by the way, I'm taking my A2s this year.

Damien
18-08-2005, 17:58
I got two A's :D:D

Maggy
18-08-2005, 18:12
Little s*d has got to resit them.. :mad:

homealone
18-08-2005, 18:31
Little s*d has got to resit them.. :mad:

same as my son, Incog - the galling thing being that he would have sailed through, if he had bothered to do any work. :(

- he didn't bother with resits, in the end - he got a job and is now buying his own house, so it worked out ok, in the end, but I was livid, at the time.

andyl
18-08-2005, 18:41
Yeah communications, you can't even revise for the thing its such a weird subject...I did take english, socilogy and psych, but they made me pick up another to drop after the first year, I picked comms as it fitted into my timetable, but after a year I realised I sucked at english :rolleyes: So I carried on with comms, its a mixed course, based on english, law, general studies, psych, sociology and media studies. Its the course you take if you want to get into journalism and things like film studies. :confused: I still have nightmares about having to watch tina turner and cher videos and analysed why cher was half naked and sitting on top of a giant cannon :Yikes: Think thats a perfect example of comunication studies :p:

Ooooh get you and your fancy college :) Very posh!

LOL! I've got a degree in Communication Studies :Yikes: :D . Mostly it was brilliant and very, very useful but I can't help thinking that the Mail would have had a field day with the seminar we did on Madonna (one memorable contribution: "Well at first I thought she was s*** but now I think she's great" - a refrence to the pointy bra'd one's feminist inclinations). Mind you my dissertation would probably have raised a few Mail eyebrows too - The Politics of Pop.

Congrats to all who got their passes today - and bah humbug to all the media merchants dissing your achievements. Passing your As remains a great achievement.

I got two A's :D:D
Excellent mate. Pleased for you. Mind you, can tell you're a smart a*** from your posts ;) :D

nffc
18-08-2005, 18:58
Well done to everyone...

LemonyBrainAid
18-08-2005, 19:10
It's funny really - I never thought Nem was a troll, until I saw a picture of him ;) :p:

Think what it's like living with him... :erm: :(

nffc
18-08-2005, 19:19

If I were you, I'd escape, now... :erm: :fetchy:

Damien
18-08-2005, 22:38
Excellent mate. Pleased for you. Mind you, can tell you're a smart a*** from your posts ;) :D

:D Thanks, I think :erm: ;)

andyl
18-08-2005, 22:58
:D Thanks, I think :erm: ;)

You still sober? Tsk, young people today. In my day......... (reverts to Codgers Forum mode) :)

Damien
18-08-2005, 23:17
We all went to pub and played pool (obviously the drink is why i then lost at pool rather than a lack of skill)

nffc
18-08-2005, 23:26
We all went to pub and played pool (obviously the drink is why i then lost at pool rather than a lack of skill)
I always thought one played pool better after a few? ;)

Damien
18-08-2005, 23:44
I always thought one played pool better after a few? ;)

I see, as usual the problem is I didnt drink enough! Yes, I see it all now! Bye Bye Liver :disturbd:

Nugget
19-08-2005, 10:54

:sick:

Do you mind - you've put me right off my cuppa :p:

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:00
Kids!

If you have done badly in your A levels....you have failed! Whatever well meaning liberals say.

People tell you that it doesn't matter and that academic success isn't everything and you can make a success of your life even without the academic stuff. Sadly, you can't - it's all crap. All the 'help' websites for kids who failed their exams are full of examples of big successful businessmen who who also failed their exams. The problem being that they had a brilliant idea for a business that was a winner. Unless you've got some fantastic business proposition, fail your exams and you can forget it.

I accept you can always take them again later...but you will achieve NOTHING in the grand scheme of things until you do.

And yes, that DOES mean you're a failure. It's high time we stopped pretending that you succeed even if you fail. To all 18 year olds who have flunked their exams this week - you have failed! You are a failure. It doesn't mean you'll ALWAYS be a failure, but at this moment you are, so deal with it and do something about it.

I too am therefore a failure in the grand scheme of things, I have no real qualifications to speak of, I have only come to accept this this year and now something is being done about it.

There is no shame in failure, that is the problem in society, we make it out that failing your exams is the end of the world....it isn't, but it is still failure.

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:03
Kids!

If you have done badly in your A levels....you have failed! Whatever well meaning liberals say.

People tell you that it doesn't matter and that academic success isn't everything and you can make a success of your life even without the academic stuff. Sadly, you can't - it's all crap. All the 'help' websites for kids who failed their exams are full of examples of big successful businessmen who who also failed their exams. The problem being that they had a brilliant idea for a business that was a winner. Unless you've got some fantastic business proposition, fail your exams and you can forget it.

I accept you can always take them again later...but you will achieve NOTHING in the grand scheme of things until you do.

And yes, that DOES mean you're a failure. It's high time we stopped pretending that you succeed even if you fail. To all 18 year olds who have flunked their exams this week - you have failed! You are a failure. It doesn't mean you'll ALWAYS be a failure, but at this moment you are, so deal with it and do something about it.

I too am therefore a failure in the grand scheme of things, I have no real qualifications to speak of, I have only come to accept this this year and now something is being done about it.

There is no shame in failure, that is the problem in society, we make it out that failing your exams is the end of the world....it isn't, but it is still failure.

Yay! Happy Fun time!
:rolleyes: :confused:

andyl
19-08-2005, 11:05
Kids!

If you have done badly in your A levels....you have failed! Whatever well meaning liberals say. That'll be just one sodding teacher whose motion was defeated at the union conference.

Nice upbeat post that though Scrotnig. Bet you've right cheered some people up today ;) :D

Yay! Happy Fun time!
:rolleyes: :confused: :D :D

Nugget
19-08-2005, 11:06
Kids!

What a load of bullspit - how does not passing your A-levels make you a failure? Most of the time, all it means is that you didn't get the correct grades to do whatever university course you wanted.

I didn't get the grades that I needed to do the degree that I wanted, so I just looked around for another course - sorted!

One of the problems with people in this country is the fact that, if you pass your A-levels with flying colours then the exams are too easy. However, if you don't pass, then you're a failure and completely worthless.

It's about time we realised that, sometimes, things don't turn out the way you wanted, and you have to do something about it.

No-one's a failure - there's just different levels of success

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:09
Nice upbeat post that though Scrotnig. Bet you've right cheered some people up today ;) :D
:D :D
Why pretend that failure is success? It isn't. At 18 kids need to start learning that life is full of setbacks. For most people there will be more setbacks than successes.

If you fail your A levels you just have to try again or do something else. One failure doesn't mean you will fail at everything. You may have taken the wrong subjects, or you may be a lazy sod and not done any work. But failure is failure.

Don't get me wrong I know it hurts. I didn't even bother with A levels, I got thrown out of school at 16. Then at 18 I thought I try a college course, and I dropped out of that after six months. It has taken me a further ten years to accept that rather than making a 'change in acreer direction' as I thought I was doing, I did in fact fail, utterly and humoungously.

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:09
What a load of bullspit - how does not passing your A-levels make you a failure? Most of the time, all it means is that you didn't get the correct grades to do whatever university course you wanted.

I didn't get the grades that I needed to do the degree that I wanted, so I just looked around for another course - sorted!

One of the problems with people in this country is the fact that, if you pass your A-levels with flying colours then the exams are too easy. However, if you don't pass, then you're a failure and completely worthless.

It's about time we realised that, sometimes, things don't turn out the way you wanted, and you have to do something about it.

:tu: :tu: :beer: :wavey: :drunk: :clap: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :cleader: :cleader: :cleader:

Nemesis
19-08-2005, 11:10
Whoa .... hold the stagecoach ..... Scrotnig is right.

These people have failed, but now is the time to realise that and to do something about it, not dwell on the failure.

I too have no *real* qualifications as such, again something that I too need to work on, and am doing so. However I can pinpoint exactly *why* I haven't got them already, and it stems back to failing my A levels 20 years ago.

I wallowed in my own self pity and regarded myself as a failure, and let that consume me. I have got by, and got some decent jobs, but I could have achieved a lot more with those qualifications.

I became scared of failure, which got worse as time went on, lulling myself into the belief that I didn't need them.

Please, please, please, those that have not got what they wanted, dust yourselves off, pick up your pride, and go and get them, you *will* regret it later if you don't.

andyl
19-08-2005, 11:11
I have qualifications so I'm a success? :confused:

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:11
Why pretend that failure is success? It isn't. At 18 kids need to start learning that life is full of setbacks. For most people there will be more setbacks than successes.

No said they were a success, but calling them failures is a bit negative. They just have to learn, accept and act on bad grades. Since when do we measure success in term of there grades?

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:13
What a load of bullspit - <snipped>

Sorry, but that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about....

Try going for a job interview, and when the interviewer questions all your 'N' grades, explains that this is simply a different level of success!

Failure *is* failure.....but it needn't be overplayed. It simply means you need to try again, or try something else. It isn't the end of the world.

When I finish my part time degree in four years (assuming history doesn't repeat itself and i don't drop out), if I do not pass, then I will have failed. Simple.

No said they were a success, but calling them failures is a bit negative. They just have to learn, accept and act on bad grades. Since when do we measure success in term of there grades?
I agree up to a point...however, if you set out to pass an exam, and do not do so, you have failed.

I am sorry, I don't mean to upset anyone, failure does not make someone a bad person or mean that we always fail at everything they do, but as a society we do need to start recognising failure as failure, rather than pretending everyone succeeded and it's all ok. Because it isn't.

Chris
19-08-2005, 11:14

I can't agree with that - it is still possible to get a 'U' for Unclassified at A level. What level of success is that, given that it is, unequivocally, a 'Fail', given only to those candidates whose exam score fell below the 'pass' mark?

More generally, I agree that no-one can be called 'a failure'. There is a fundamental difference between 'I failed my A levels' and 'I am a failure. The former is a statement of fact about a particular event, which can be addressed and corrected. The latter is a state of being, or at least a state of thinking, that is harder (but probably still not impossible) to change.

I agree with the broad sentiment of Scrotnig's post although I think it is a little harsh and generalising. There is too much mollycoddling going on. In the real world, you generally do have to do well at each stage of your exams in order to progress to the next thing. But that fact should be used in order to encourage and motivate people to try again and try harder, not to beat them into thinking they are 'a failure'.

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:14
We are not denying they failed, I am objecting to the implication that grades are the measure of success of a person. Saying someone is a failure because of some poor grades is not representative of a person as a whole.

I failed all my GCSES and now I got top marks in my ICT A-Levels. I knew I failed my GCSES but i didnt regard myself as a failure as such

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:15
I have qualifications so I'm a success? :confused:
No...you were a success at getting those qualifications.

In reverse, failing an A level exam means you are a failure AT THAT EXAM. It does not mean you are, or will be, a failure in *everything* in life.

Nugget
19-08-2005, 11:15
Sorry, but that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about....

Try going for a job interview, and when the interviewer questions all your 'N' grades, explains that this is simply a different level of success!

Failure *is* failure.....but it needn't be overplayed. It simply means you need to try again, or try something else. It isn't the end of the world.

When I finish my part time degree in four years (assuming history doesn't repeat itself and i don't drop out), if I do not pass, then I will have failed. Simple.

Errr, when any interviewer has questioned my N grade (in Sociology, fact fans!), I just point to the HND in Business & Finance that I've got. I also point to the other 2 A-levels that I have got, but which weren't enough for me to do the course that I'd originally chosen.

I passed 50% of my A-levels - not passing the other 50% doesn't make me a failure.

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:17
Errr, when any interviewer has questioned my N grade (in Sociology, fact fans!), I just point to the HND in Business & Finance that I've got. I also point to the other 2 A-levels that I have got, but which weren't enopugh for me to do the course that I'd originally chosen.

I passed 50% of my A-levels - not passing the other 50% doesn't make me a failure.
See my post HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=555229&postcount=51). I don't disagree with you on that.

We are not denying they failed, I am objecting to the implication that grades are the measure of success of a person. Saying someone is a failure because of some poor grades is not representative of a person as a whole.

I failed all my GCSES and now I got top marks in my ICT A-Levels. I knew I failed my GCSES but i didnt regard myself as a failure as such
No, I'm not saying a person would be a failure *generally* or *in everything*. Just in that particular area. But what we do as a society is try to cushion the blow by pretending it doesn't matter, or worse still that it's actually a success! Which it blatantly isn't.

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:17
for the record I do not object to the term failure for people who have failed. I do object the need for such harsh lanuage and bluntness when these people are terrified and shell-shocked enough as it is but hey.

I do disagree with this:

And yes, that DOES mean you're a failure

Nemesis
19-08-2005, 11:18
The truth sometimes hurts, but that doesn't mean it isn't the truth.

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:18
Errr, when any interviewer has questioned my N grade (in Sociology, fact fans!), I just point to the HND in Business & Finance that I've got. I also point to the other 2 A-levels that I have got, but which weren't enough for me to do the course that I'd originally chosen.

Do people even put there N/U/F grades on a CV?
:confused:

Chris
19-08-2005, 11:19

Which is evidence that you didn't allow the fact you failed sociology to deter you from pursuing a higher education. You failed, at that point in your life, but you are not a failure.

I got an 'N' in History, but still managed to get a degree in Archaeology three years later. Go figure! :D

Do people even put there N/U/F grades on a CV?
:confused:

Not on my CV, but if a job application form asks you to put down all exams you sat, you have to, or else that's lying - for which you can later get the sack if you get found out.

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:20
Does that include GCSES?

Nugget
19-08-2005, 11:20
No, I'm not saying a person would be a failure *generally* or *in everything*. Just in that particular area. But what we do as a society is try to cushion the blow by pretending it doesn't matter, or worse still that it's actually a success! Which it blatantly isn't.

TBH scrotnig, I don't agree. As a society, we don't try to cushion the blow - as I said earlier, all that happens when people do pass their exams is that they're told the ecxams are getting easier.

What people in this country appear to delight in doing is setting someone up for a fall - instead of congratulating people for doing well, we just tell them that they were bound to do so because they'd have to be a right thicko n ot to!

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:21
for the record I do not object to the term failure for people who have failed. I do object the need for such harsh lanuage and bluntness when these people are terrified and shell-shocked enough as it is but hey.

But that's life...it's a bitch! Wait til you have to go through redundancy, or unfair dismissal, and stuff like that....not as a student working part time, but as someone depending on their job to pay their mortgage and support their family. You'll long for the 'shell shock' of exam failure then I can promise you. Kids need to learn to experience failure and crushing blows in the <comparitively> harmless world of A levels, so they can deal with it better in real life. Because real life stings.

I do disagree with this:
Try being a doctor or lawyer without the relevant qualifications. If you want to work in a call centre, yes you can do it, but even that is starting to get tricky.

Nugget
19-08-2005, 11:23
Which is evidence that you didn't allow the fact you failed sociology to deter you from pursuing a higher education. You failed, at that point in your life, but you are not a failure.

I got an 'N' in History, but still managed to get a degree in Archaeology three years later. Go figure! :D

But that's my point - I didn't fail. Unless I'm mistaken (and if I am, you can just shut up :p: ), and 'N' grade is technically equivalent to a GCSE pass, so I still passed it, just not at the relvant level.

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:23
TBH scrotnig, I don't agree. As a society, we don't try to cushion the blow - as I said earlier, all that happens when people do pass their exams is that they're told the ecxams are getting easier.

What people in this country appear to delight in doing is setting someone up for a fall - instead of congratulating people for doing well, we just tell them that they were bound to do so because they'd have to be a right thicko n ot to!
Now that I *do* agree with.

I tire of reading year after year how easy A levels and degrees are getting - invariably these arguments are supported by people who didn't get any. Jealousy you see.

At a time when we should be congratulating our kids for working so hard, all we do is put them down.

We tell them to work hard, make them work all day and all night (which is very wrong...kids need time to socialise and build social skills, yet we advocate spending every waking hour doing schoolwork), then say it means nothing when they succeed. Disgraceful!

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:26
But that's life...it's a bitch! Wait til you have to go through redundancy, or unfair dismissal, and stuff like that....not as a student working part time, but as someone depending on their job to pay their mortgage and support their family. You'll long for the 'shell shock' of exam failure then I can promise you. Kids need to learn to experience failure and crushing blows in the <comparatively> harmless world of A levels, so they can deal with it better in real life. Because real life stings.

As mentioned before I have had the shell-shock of failure. Not only did I fail but I failed in STYLE! As failing your GCSES go, I bombed it gooood! But I knew this and worked on it, I didnt need to be told that I failed, I knew. We need to help and encourage those who fail, not patronize them by making it seem better than it is nor do we do the 'hard truth' speech because they already know all this. Its their life.

Try being a doctor or lawyer without the relevant qualifications. If you want to work in a call centre, yes you can do it, but even that is starting to get tricky.

I object that your job is a measure of your success as a person, in the end it will not be your job or money that you care about.

Chris
19-08-2005, 11:27
But that's my point - I didn't fail. Unless I'm mistaken (and if I am, you can just shut up :p: ), and 'N' grade is technically equivalent to a GCSE pass, so I still passed it, just not at the relvant level.

An 'N' grade does indeed show that your attainment is equivalent to GCSE pass level. However as you were sitting an A level, not a GCSE, what it demonstrates is that after two years of further study, you failed to make any progress whatsoever. A fail is a fail is a fail. Grade 'N' is below the pass mark for A level. Grade 'U' is comfortably below it.

TBH what you're suggesting is a bit like claiming a kind of victory in a 1,000m race just because you were near the front of the pack after 200m. The point is, it's not a 200m race, it's 1,000m and the only people who get the medals are the ones at the front when the race is complete. Anything else is just the kind of definition bending that Scrotnig is talking about - this is political correctness in its purest form.

You failed sociology. I failed history. We got over it.

Nugget
19-08-2005, 11:29
<snip>You failed sociology. I failed history. We got over it.

I dunno - apparently I haven't :disturbd: :p:

Nemesis
19-08-2005, 11:29
I failed them all .... I didn't get over it ....

Nugget
19-08-2005, 11:32
I failed them all .... I didn't get over it ....

Yeah, but you really are a thicko :PP:

Oh, and you smell

scrotnig
19-08-2005, 11:33
As mentioned before I have had the shell-shock of failure. Not only did I fail but I failed in STYLE! As failing your GCSES go, I bombed it gooood! But I knew this and worked on it, I didnt need to be told that I failed, I knew. We need to help and encourage those who fail, not patronize them by making it seem better than it is nor do we do the 'hard truth' speech because they already know all this. Its their life.

Yes, but some DO need to be told, and really I was one of them. Nobody ever told me. I had to work it out for myself, but it took ten years of listening to cobblers about what a good person I probably am...counts for nothing. Doesn't pay the bills.

I object that your job is a measure of your success as a person, in the end it will not be your job or money that you care about.
Try paying the mortgage with anything else. I live in a rented terraced house in a crap area of a major city. That's because I thought it didn't matter to do well in exams.

Nemesis
19-08-2005, 11:45
We need straight talking, and not ego boosting. Tell it like it is and give the options open to them.

All the talk of exams being easiers and all the PC speak, isn't going to matter one jot to those that face the situation.

Having someone there to explain the option and helpm guide them in the right direction and help with decision making is whats needed.

Yeah, but you really are a thicko :PP:

Oh, and you smell

You wait Mr. Nugfart .........

Damien
19-08-2005, 11:49
We need straight talking, and not ego boosting. Tell it like it is and give the options open to them.

All the talk of exams being easiers and all the PC speak, isn't going to matter one jot to those that face the situation.

Having someone there to explain the option and helpm guide them in the right direction and help with decision making is whats needed

Exactly, but we do not need to kick em while they are down either. Telling them this will ruin there whole life is overly dramatic and untrue

Kliro
19-08-2005, 11:53
I have found myself agreeing with the above posts, the system at this present moment is utterly rubbish though and should be changed, though you still have to work and get the grades, you can't tell the universities that you didn't like the education system, so didn't comply, and now have no decent results, and expect to get accepted.

I myself found out yesterday I got D in biology which I want to continue, I accept this is because I was lazy and didn't work hard enough, but am not feeling sorry for myself, instead I've started looking over the worst areas today, and hope to pull the grade up to a B/A it'll be hard work, but it should be worth it.

Advice for people who have failed their A-levels from me would be: not to go into clearing as you'll end up on the course you don't actually want, but to retake the year if possible to get better grades.

zovat
19-08-2005, 11:54
Like all things in life, there are many ways to view these issues.... :angel:

Personally, if you get a low grade (N/U etc) then you failed that exam, either because you were just not capable of learning the subject matter, or because you did not work hard enough..

I consider anything below a "C" at O level (and GCSEs to include anyone under 35) to be a failure - I can say that because by those terms, I failed 5 O levels (passed another 5 mind you)... ;)

If you fail an exam you have a choice, try again, or accept it and move on.

If you have a narrow set of goals (such as to be a doctor) and the exams you fail are a requirement of those goals, then re-sit them if you think you can pass by working harder.
If you know that you cannot pass an exam, then it is time to re-assess you goals. :idea:

If failing the exam does not change your ability to achieve your goals, then it is down to pride - re-sit to prove you can, or move on to the next phase, with the realisation that you are not infallable, and you may well have to work a little harder than you thought in order to get what you want.

I passed to exams I needed to get on the college course I wanted, I then passed that and went out into the real world.

I chose not to do a degree because I did not need on to achieve my career path (although these days anyone without one needs a lot of experience to get a job. :eek: ).

It is all down to knowing what you want, and knowing how hard you have to work to achieve it. :angel:

If you fail an exam, and it stops you from achieving your goals, then you have failed in that goal - life is long - set a new goal, try again, or find some other way to achieve the goal you have.

As ever - just my :2cents:

Kliro
19-08-2005, 11:54
Exactly, but we do not need to kick em while they are down either. Telling them this will ruin there whole life is overly dramatic and untrue

It won't ruin their life, just make it a hell of a lot harder.

Chris
19-08-2005, 12:01
Advice for people who have failed their A-levels from me would be: not to go into clearing as you'll end up on the course you don't actually want, but to retake the year if possible to get better grades.

I don't think it's as black and white as that. I began re-sits, at a college rather than my school sixth form (because I couldn't stand the thought of another year at school after being psyched up to leave) but even then the thought of my friends progressing while I was dropping a year behind was very hard to take.

Of course, schools and colleges start back in September whereas universities tend to go in October, which is how, depite having done six weeks of my re-sit A level courses, I managed to jump ship and get into University only two weeks into term. I was blessed with the same institution I had wanted to go to originally, and a course that, while slightly different to the one I had on my UCCA form (oo, showing my age now!) was in hindsight a better choice.

The balance between clearing and re-sitting is a fine one and each individual needs to weigh up what's available versus their aspirations.

It won't ruin their life, just make it a hell of a lot harder.

It won't necessarily do either, it might just be the wake-up call they need to try harder and succeed second time round.

Maggy
19-08-2005, 12:53
Speaking as a teacher,parent and individual I have to observe that failure is part of life..that we all (hopefully) can learn from failure.If we don't, we are doomed to keep repeating mistakes.However it isn't necessary to belabour the point ONCE someone has come to terms with the fact that they failed at one aspect in their lives.Just because one fails an exam does not mean they are a failure in everything that they do from here on.

There are also many paths to get to a destination and there is no shame if one path becomes blocked into stepping onto another path.

Also I can't emphasise enough that failure can have a galvanising force that ensures someone will become more determined to succeed.

Failure does not always mean you are a loser.

I failed my 11 plus.I don't count myself a failure because of it.I'm most certainly not a loser.

So scrotnig you may like to think of yourself as a failure but remember that it is only a label and labels can be removed eventually.

timewarrior2001
19-08-2005, 13:11
In 1992 I got my GCSE results.

CDT Technology - C
Chemistry - C
French - C
Geography - D
Physics - D
Maths - D
English Lang - E
English Lit - F

I resat some at 6th form college in 1993
Physics - C
Maths - D
English Language - D
I also took Art and got a C

I then started A levels in art and design technology
I got fed up and spent more time in the pub next door to the college.

I decided to join the RAF, I did well, got through to the medical stage, promptly left college and failed the medical.

I bummed around for a few years working when I could, labouring etc. Then I went back to college Did year 1 of A level chemistry and didnt go back for 2nd year. Decided I was into social work, then realised how ****ed up it all is and dropped out.
Bummed around for a while, went back to college again.
Did city and guilds.
Got

computers and computing level 1
Instalation and maintenance level 2
Instalation and maintenance level 3
Networking 2
Networking 3
Diploma in networking
Advancced diploma in networking

I now work in a call centre and earn the lovely sum of £13,000 p.a doing tech support for Jobcentreplus.

Moto of this tale is kids, if you fail now get your act together and get them passed. DO NOT WASTE YOUR CHANCES LIKE ME.

ntl customer
19-08-2005, 18:28
I received my results yesterday and it was a mixed bag. Some I were happy with, whilst others I was really disappointed with, like my ICT one which I got a "E" for, despite getting an A and C for the papers in the previous year and D for the coursework.

I found that a large portion of A2 ICT course was heavily weighted on the coursework, or more to the point - the reams of documentation and bleeding screenshots! I had an eleventh hour problem with the coursework that meant I lost a significant portion of it, and all back-ups I had were weeks old. With hindsight, I wish I hadn't left the printing of it all to the last minute.

One thing that I feel injusticed about the A2 ICT course is that having a working system on the computer meant nothing. I managed to get a fully working system that did what it was supposed to do as per spec., just all the screenshots and crap were not there, and were lost at the eleventh hour. They didn't give any credit to the fact that.

It's as if it all counts to nothing, and that they didn't care what your practical skills were like - only that you were good at photoshop and using the print screen key and copy/paste/typing functions in word and that was all that mattered. For all I know, people could have been copied and pasted and doctored in PS, and they didn't give a flying f.ck as to whether you were able to use access and apply your skills to this project (IMO the ability to produce something functioning is a true test of your skills compared to being able to produce reams and reams of screenshots and tables). :mad:

I apologise for ranting - but I feel rather peed off at the moment and I don't mean to offend anyone. All I'm just saying is - shouldn't practical skills and the fact that something working was produced at the end count to at least SOME of the mark, rather than the having all it being weighed on a file with pages of screenshots and tables? I mean, anyone could do the latter and fake all the screenshots if they were really determined and not have a system that did anything.

downquark1
19-08-2005, 20:23
No offense to anyone who took it, but I think the majority of the ICT syabus is BS too.

nffc
19-08-2005, 20:42
No offense to anyone who took it, but I think the majority of the ICT syabus is BS too.
I would imagine the effort, time and money of keeping an ICT syllabus current would not be worth the gain in making it not BS, and worth having tbh.

As always the IT qualifications to get will be things like CS degrees, A+, MCSE, etc etc etc...

xcdtowg
20-08-2005, 13:26
Coursework for any A level subject isn't to good at showing how good a person is at anything. At my college if the teachers liked you you got good coursework marks. This is because they would let you hand in the work over and over and tell them what needed to be done to get more marks. If handing in work repeatedly and writing down what a teacher told you to write to get more marks shows your true ability, I'm very confussed. ;)

I got an E in my Sociology coursework, but my exams marks pulled my grade up to a C luckily. I hated coursework, lol. I just wish my teacher had thought to actually tell me my coursework was a big pile of rubbish, but I suppose I should have done all the sucking up to them the people that got help did.:rolleyes:

Some courses more than other weight a lot of the final grade on coursework, esp. ICT from all the complaining some friends of mine that took it. They should try give marks for practical work, esp. in things like ICT that are mostly practical, rather than basing marks on coursework full of screenshots.

Halcyon
22-08-2005, 15:07
I've arrived late to this thread but just want to wish everyone all the best and congratulations for their results !!!

At the end of the day it doesnt matter what you got as long as you felt you did your best.
If you are determined to get somewhere you will get there with or without the grades.

I wish you all the best for the future.

Chris
22-08-2005, 15:14
If you are determined to get somewhere you will get there with or without the grades.

This is patently untrue. If you are determined to get to Oxford, yet without the grades, how far do you think you're going to get?!

Nugget
22-08-2005, 15:20
This is patently untrue. If you are determined to get to Oxford, yet without the grades, how far do you think you're going to get?!

You could always just move to Oxford ;) :disturbd:

Seriously though, Oxford and Cambridge are a load of bunkum. Offically, the minimum entry requirement for the 2 is still only 2 Ds at A-level (it may even be 2 Es, but I can't remember for sure).

However, because they insist on making you sit exams to get a place on their causes, it means that those pupils who are expected to get lower grades in their A-levels don't even get to the exam.

Load of tosh IMHO

orangebird
22-08-2005, 15:27

I think maybe Halycon was referring to getting somewhere in life without grades (which you can), as opposed to getting somewhere geographically... :shrug:

Chris
22-08-2005, 15:32
I think maybe Halycon was referring to getting somewhere in life without grades (which you can), as opposed to getting somewhere geographically... :shrug:

I didn't mean Oxford geographically, I meant a place to study something at the University.

OK, technically Oxbridge admit on the basis of their own entrance exams and interviews but you know what I was driving at. There are certain things in life that you can't do unless you achieve the appropriate grade in some exam or other. It is simply untrue to state "If you are determined to get somewhere you will get there with or without the grades." It might make someone who just failed their A levels feel a bit better about themselves, but much of the discussion in this thread has been about the need to call it as it is, rather than allowing people to think there's no such thing as failure.

orangebird
22-08-2005, 15:36
I didn't mean Oxford geographically, I meant a place to study something at the University.

OK, technically Oxbridge admit on the basis of their own entrance exams and interviews but you know what I was driving at. There are certain things in life that you can't do unless you achieve the appropriate grade in some exam or other. It is simply untrue to state "If you are determined to get somewhere you will get there with or without the grades." It might make someone who just failed their A levels feel a bit better about themselves, but much of the discussion in this thread has been about the need to call it as it is, rather than allowing people to think there's no such thing as failure.

But you can get somewhere in life even if you don't get grades. :erm:

My dad failed his 11+ - he runs his own business now.

Nugget
22-08-2005, 15:38

But it's getting increasingly difficult for students to see exaclty how it is. As I said earlier in the thread, we now have a situation where someone gets 4 A levels at A grade. On paper, that's a fantastic achievement. Unfortunately, the majority of newspapers and other news media will tell them that they only managed that because the exam was so easy.

The only way that kids / students find out how it is in this life is through the fact that this will teach them that, contrary to praising their achievements, we'll just try and knock 'em down.

Chris
22-08-2005, 15:38
But you can get somewhere in life even if you don't get grades. :erm:

My dad failed his 11+ - he runs his own business now.

So did mine. I'm not trying to say, you fail an exam, you get nowhere. I'm saying it's not true to say you can still do absolutely anything you like, which appears to be what Halc is saying.

xcdtowg
22-08-2005, 15:40
I think you would need a certain background to go to Oxbridge, hehe, I certainly wouldn't fit in. :p: One of Plonkings friends went to Oxford and I dunno, I always feel I have to behave myself around him, no rude comments and things, don't think I could cope with that. ;) Plus getting A's isn't everything. I only needed DDD to get onto my course, and some courses require even less. Some people may completely mess up there A levels but get a course in clearing and go on to do pretty well. I know someone who flunked completely at A level got onto a course at uni and left with a resonably good grade. Not everyone can be a smartarse :D

EDIT-also i think halc is saying that just if you dont do as well as you wanted, if you try again etc or try a different route, you may get where you want. Not everyone wants to become PM or something, most of the real people in the world, have much more modest goals. ;)

Halcyon
22-08-2005, 15:52

Yep thats what I meant.
I know some people who tried their best in their exams but exams were just not their thing yet they were very skilled in what they wanted to do in their life.
There is always a way round. Eg, there are training courses, apprentaships, and a wide range of other paths that can lead you to what you wish to do.