PDA

View Full Version : The PS4 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

andrewstevenson
22-02-2013, 08:35
Well the ps4 did look good but after some revelations it's thanks but no thanks

1. Ps3 saves can't be transferred to ps4

2. Ps3 downloaded games from psn won't work on a ps4

3. No idea how it works wether we need to buy ps3 games online or stream.

4. How much it will cost.

5. Rumoured ps plus increase for ps4.

6. No pic or hard drive size info

That don't sound tempting to me

pabscars
22-02-2013, 09:06
Ive put maybe, Its always nice to see gaming going to the next level, but if PS3 saves can't be transfered to a PS4 then it wont get out of the starting blocks for me.

The multiplayer fps games on the PS3 have never been as well supported by the devs as much as the xbox 360 imo, so I might give this one a miss, but I will still be tempted. The one thing I do love about the PS3 is the control pad, it's excellent and hardy enough to last years of abuse, so I hope the new pad hasnt tried to copy the xbox 360's style too much because the thumb sticks become worn and sloppy within 2 or 3 days of using a new one.

tizmeinnit
22-02-2013, 09:31
when its £150 and they change the used games policy a year down the line when they realise its not selling then maybe lol

andrewstevenson
22-02-2013, 09:52
Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games

BenMcr
22-02-2013, 10:34
Don't see the backwards compatibility thing being too much of an issue. The PS3 dropped it quite quickly but that didn't stop people buying it.

Anyway, I've already got a PS3 to play my PS3 games on ;)

andrewstevenson
22-02-2013, 10:46
I agree but all psn downloaded content on ps3 not being available on ps4, so then only games on a new console are fully priced and expensive

adzii_nufc
22-02-2013, 11:22
Well the ps4 did look good but after some revelations it's thanks but no thanks

1. Ps3 saves can't be transferred to ps4

2. Ps3 downloaded games from psn won't work on a ps4

3. No idea how it works wether we need to buy ps3 games online or stream.

4. How much it will cost.

5. Rumoured ps plus increase for ps4.

6. No pic or hard drive size info

That don't sound tempting to me

1) I can't recall that being such a big deal when transitioning from the PS2 to the PS3, I can't recall outcries for Memory Card slots on the PS3.

2) The idea of Next Generation is you play Next Generation games. If you wish to play PS3 games then you have a PS3. Backwards compatibility is a bonus not a must have.

3) See points 1 & 2

4) I'd find it funny if anyone expected a brand new console to be cheap. £250 barebones minimum.

5) You say it like it's a bad thing? Microsoft have been charging since day one with regards to their online platform and look how widely successful it is. Paying a subscription for premium features gives Sony/Microsoft developers the chance to add unique features to each system and expand their on board content further, such as Netflix, Sky and so on.

6) I'd put it at three versions, 500gb, 1tb and 2tb editions.

Most of you are being way too quick in jumping the gun with criticism and seemed to have forgotten this was simply an announcement and a quick peek, we are yet to reach the biggest gaming expo of the year and anyone who assumed Sony would simply flaunt everything now was simply mislead. Sony will reveal everything at E3 2013 and every question answered fully then.

To answer the Poll, I'd say never because I'm sold by Microsoft every time but I'm open to both consoles for individual features, that meaning I'm hoping they actually have some sort of differences this time round and not some Blu Ray player I could care less about.

tizmeinnit
22-02-2013, 11:42
1) I can't recall that being such a big deal when transitioning from the PS2 to the PS3, I can't recall outcries for Memory Card slots on the PS3.

2) The idea of Next Generation is you play Next Generation games. If you wish to play PS3 games then you have a PS3. Backwards compatibility is a bonus not a must have.

3) See points 1 & 2

4) I'd find it funny if anyone expected a brand new console to be cheap. £250 barebones minimum.

5) You say it like it's a bad thing? Microsoft have been charging since day one with regards to their online platform and look how widely successful it is. Paying a subscription for premium features gives Sony/Microsoft developers the chance to add unique features to each system and expand their on board content further, such as Netflix, Sky and so on.

6) I'd put it at three versions, 500gb, 1tb and 2tb editions.

Most of you are being way too quick in jumping the gun with criticism and seemed to have forgotten this was simply an announcement and a quick peek, we are yet to reach the biggest gaming expo of the year and anyone who assumed Sony would simply flaunt everything now was simply mislead. Sony will reveal everything at E3 2013 and every question answered fully then.

To answer the Poll, I'd say never because I'm sold by Microsoft every time but I'm open to both consoles for individual features, that meaning I'm hoping they actually have some sort of differences this time round and not some Blu Ray player I could care less about.

Point 1 what? who said anything about memory card slots?

Point 2 Some models of PS3 do play PS2 games Sony removed the option on none jailbroken consoles cuz they are fools I do agree though the option would be a bonus

Point 3 seeing as your point 1 makes no sense I have no reply

Point 4 I agree

Point 5 MS may well have been doing it a long time. A success?? not so sure full of cheats I have been told and unruly loud mouthed gob*****s

Point 6 well a 2TB 2.5 inch hard drive alone is nearly £150 so I personally doubt there will be a 2TB version if there was it will be ridiculously expensive

The biggest downfall on both the new consoles is the tied up games you buy you can not sell the main market for console games surely is the play them sell them idiom that has existed previously.

andrewstevenson
22-02-2013, 11:49
I think a bigger concern is no psn games purchased will work on psn even need for speed and FIFA 13

adzii_nufc
22-02-2013, 12:00
Point 1 what? who said anything about memory card slots?

Point 2 Some models of PS3 do play PS2 games Sony removed the option on none jailbroken consoles cuz they are fools I do agree though the option would be a bonus

Point 3 seeing as your point 1 makes no sense I have no reply

Point 4 I agree

Point 5 MS may well have been doing it a long time. A success?? not so sure full of cheats I have been told and unruly loud mouthed gob*****s

Point 6 well a 2TB 2.5 inch hard drive alone is nearly £150 so I personally doubt there will be a 2TB version if there was it will be ridiculously expensive

The biggest downfall on both the new consoles is the tied up games you buy you can not sell the main market for console games surely is the play them sell them idiom that has existed previously.

My first was just a bit of humor heh, I was referring to the PS3 launch in which you couldn't transfer saves to the PS3 from the PS2, something you'll also not be able to do PS3>PS4.

As for the online bit, There are indeed cheaters and big mouth's across all online services but it's rare to come across said cheaters on the xbox live service unless you're actively looking for them. Cheating on consoles is still a long way off the PC luckily, it isn't plagued with wallhacking aimbotters.
Funnily enough, the USB functions on the Xbox are the highest cause of 'cheaters' but also another reason people pay for the service... Yeah people pay a sub so they can cheat online, Hilarious I know.

tizmeinnit
22-02-2013, 12:11
I think a bigger concern is no psn games purchased will work on psn even need for speed and FIFA 13

I disagree I think the lack of transfer rights outweighs this 10x you can still play your games on a PS3 but if you buy a game finish it and do not really like it you are stuck with it

adzii_nufc
22-02-2013, 12:21
I disagree I think the lack of transfer rights outweighs this 10x you can still play your games on a PS3 but if you buy a game finish it and do not really like it you are stuck with it

Indeed, surely these developers have though about renting games from the PSN store, should work fine. Similar to OnLive.

BenMcr
22-02-2013, 12:21
Sony removed the option on none jailbroken consoles cuz they are fools I do agree though the option would be a bonusThey physically removed hardware needed to run PS2 games in order to make the PS3 cheaper http://www.semperthree.com/backwards-compatibility.html

peanut
22-02-2013, 12:22
With the rumour that the M$ xbox720 will restrict the play of used/2ndhand games then I'm tempted to ditch m$ and go with Sony the next time around.

tizmeinnit
22-02-2013, 12:30
They physically removed hardware needed to run PS2 games in order to make it cheaper http://www.semperthree.com/backwards-compatibility.html

that is really strange because a little search around the hack scene tells a different story

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

With the rumour that the M$ xbox720 will restrict the play of used/2ndhand games then I'm tempted to ditch m$ and go with Sony the next time around.

Sony are doing the same that is the point I have been making

BenMcr
22-02-2013, 12:32
Sony are doing the same that is the point I have been makingNo they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-block-second-hand-games

tizmeinnit
22-02-2013, 12:35
No they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-block-second-hand-games

big climb down I did not see that yesterday

Stephen
22-02-2013, 12:38
This is nonsense, it was also a rumour for the PS4 and its been said that it will still pay used games.

Parsonally I think people are getting too carried away saying features are missing and the machine wasn't shown.

It was purely a console announcement not a launch as such. As its not due out Till Holiday 2013, ie end of the year many parts of the system hardware and software features have still to be finalised.

I bet that by E3 in May/June the console will be shown off along with full details of the sytem and its features.

After the few games shown and the power of the PS4 I am definitly going to be getting one when it gets released in the UK. Which I think maybe be Spring 2014 if the USA and Japan get it at the end of this year.

Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games

I will happily keep my PS3 if I want to play my PS3 games both physical and PSN downloads. Not being able to play them on a new system isn't that big a deal at all.

Also its entirly possible that after a while PS3/PS2 and PS1 games may be come available on PSN after a while. Sony did after all start to relelase old generation games on the PS3 PSN.

Its way too early to slate a system when its literally only been announced. Even the controller isn't the 'Final' design as it has been menetioned there will probably be a few tweaks before launch.

tizmeinnit
22-02-2013, 12:44
I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol

roger skillin
22-02-2013, 13:27
People moaning about having loads of games on PSN , when i got my PS3 the day it came out, i brought it because the games were amazing. I also had a PS2 with loads of games which never ever got used after the purchase.
Do you really think you'll want to play a PS3 game once you start playing the new, better looking games on the PS4?
I'm guessing for me, the only game i'll still play will be GT5, that is until a GT6 comes out.

Hom3r
22-02-2013, 19:20
I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS

adzii_nufc
22-02-2013, 21:55
I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS

Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibility

BenMcr
22-02-2013, 22:04
Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibilityYup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper

tizmeinnit
22-02-2013, 22:21
they can all run an emulator that runs 99% ps2 games flawlessly on the PS3 if they have a CFW on it

Bogof
23-02-2013, 00:13

You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

big climb down I did not see that yesterday

Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol

Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?

alexcopeland
23-02-2013, 04:03
Sony will have a service that will allow streaming of past generations playstation games. They have bought out a company to do so and the PS4 has a dedicated ARM chip to make it all possible.

I voted defo. Love my PS3 and will gladly trade it in for the new one.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/15/3993970/playstation-4-will-stream-ps3-games-reports-wsj

tizmeinnit
23-02-2013, 09:05
You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?

Sony may not have said anything but they did patent the technology to do it. That is what sent the rumours flying http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-03-sony-patents-tech-to-block-use-of-second-hand-games

Heard of homebrew boy yo as I have said in this thread the PS3 once jailbroken can play ps2 games and do a lot of other things that has nothing to do with piracy. Whether I have a peg leg and a parrot has nothing to do with you and for you to have a pop in my direction I surely hope every aspect of your life is clean ,no speedings ,no pot smoking or any other drug, no smoking while driving or using a mobile phone no downloaded illegal mp3 , no mp3s off your mates , You pay for every single film you have ever watched or not needed to. Only you know for sure you are clean so I hope you are and not a hipocrite

v0id
23-02-2013, 17:53

....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids ;)

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Yup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible.. They also only stopped producing the PS2 in December

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper

IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty

tizmeinnit
23-02-2013, 17:54
....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids ;)

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty

they took it out with firmware I believe same as the option to install a new OS

Tezcatlipoca
23-02-2013, 19:01
Only "Other OS" was taken out via a firmware update.

PS2 backwards compatibility was removed via taking out the last remaining PS2 chip inside the PS3 during another hardware revision. It wasn't removed from PS3s that already had it.

The first generation of PS3s, as launched in Japan and North America, contained both the actual PS2 CPU ("Emotion Engine") and GPU ("Graphics Synthesizer" [sic]). This enabled full PS2 backwards compatibility via hardware.

The second generation, as launched in Europe, contained only the PS2 GPU. PS2 backwards compatibility was achieved via that plus software emulation of the CPU.

The third generation onwards, beginning with the "40GB Fat", contained no PS2 hardware at all, and featured no PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

First and second generation PS3s can still play PS2 games, regardless of firmware updates.

-----------

As for the PS4... I'll wait.

I don't have the space, connections, or plug sockets for another console, so could not have a PS4 and keep my PS3... and I don't want to get rid of my PS3 unless I can still play the Uncharted games and a few others.

Once the price goes down, and once the PS3 game streaming eventually comes about, then I'll consider getting one.

Ryan92
03-03-2013, 14:33
Still undecided atm... it will be a really bummer if the whole PSN games can't be transferred does infact happen :(

Jameseh
24-05-2013, 10:16
Bumpity bump, bumpity bump. Well with the Kinect thing I'm definitely moving to PlayStation, might as well get a PS3 now to catch up on inFamous & Uncharted.

Tezcatlipoca
25-05-2013, 01:30
The Uncharted games are *must haves*. Truly brilliant.

coulsontom
31-05-2013, 21:20
I put maybe because it's not a definite no.

At Christmas I sold my Launch PS3 60GB, bought the basic 12GB Super Slim and a 320GB HD and broke even. Great deal as launch model fan was getting on a bit.

I would perhaps buy PS4 in 5 years in a similar way to above. But prob stopped using them in few years.

SnoopZ
31-05-2013, 21:27
I am unsure i need to see just how underpowered the Xbox One is compared to the PS4 in games, so it is a wait and see for me!

Jameseh
11-06-2013, 02:44
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2013/06/1.jpeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

roger skillin
11-06-2013, 04:48
So, console looks good, £70 cheaper than Xbox, you CAN play second hand games the same as you've always been able to and you don't have to connect it to the net every 24 hours. Sorry Microsoft but you've dug yourself quite a hole.

Damien
11-06-2013, 08:35
The moment Sony won: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SJ-To7WJyWs

Stephen
11-06-2013, 09:08
Think it looks really ugly. Also you can still play used games on the One, DRM doesn't stop you from doing so. Kinect is included to that's what makes the One £70 dearer.

I'll end up with both to be honest but I prefer the One and everything about it. More exciting exclusives too.

Damien
11-06-2013, 09:21
It is ugly but there are restrictions on used games, certain retailers only, needs to check in online, publishers need to enable it and might charge a fee. Then we have to pay £70 more for the privilege. It's not as if the One is more powerful.

tizmeinnit
11-06-2013, 09:41
The Xbox one will now drop in price to the £299 it should have been at the start and change any restrictions to match specially online plenty of time to make these changes

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 09:47
Can we also rename this thread to 'The PS4 Thread' please?

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Not had time to read up on everything yet but is online play no longer free?

adzii_nufc
11-06-2013, 09:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 09:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

haha :D

denphone
11-06-2013, 09:56
So, console looks good, £70 cheaper than Xbox, you CAN play second hand games the same as you've always been able to and you don't have to connect it to the net every 24 hours. Sorry Microsoft but you've dug yourself quite a hole.

Yes Sony have certainly played a right royal flush with this one and one wonders how Microsoft will react to this.

nstokes
11-06-2013, 10:01
Not had time to read up on everything yet but is online play no longer free?

from my understanding its no longer free to play online unless your a PSN Plus member

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 10:05
from my understanding its no longer free to play online unless your a PSN Plus member

That was 1 of the reasons i may have possibly jumped ship, still have alot to read up on with both consoles though and likely won't buy on release.

adzii_nufc
11-06-2013, 10:08
Can't see a fee to play online being much of a problem if it's a reasonable price, Microsoft charge around £30 a year if you buy an entire 12 months. I'd expect both online fee's to rise though :confused:

nstokes
11-06-2013, 10:11
That was 1 of the reasons i may have possibly jumped ship, still have alot to read up on with both consoles though and likely won't buy on release.

Can't see a fee to play online being much of a problem if it's a reasonable price, Microsoft charge around £30 a year if you buy an entire 12 months. I'd expect both online fee's to rise though :confused:

From what ive read its about $5 month on PSN

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 10:20
Do PS currently charge £40?

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

I didn't get to see the reveal last night, do we know if the games they demoed look similar quality wise to the Xbox One? Or did 1 console blew the other out of the water with their visuals?

nstokes
11-06-2013, 10:31
Do PS currently charge £40?

I didn't get to see the reveal last night, do we know if the games they demoed look similar quality wise to the Xbox One? Or did 1 console blew the other out of the water with their visuals?

I think they charge about £30-35 a year for PSN Plus at moment. I didnt see the PS4 reveal so cant comment on the ggames and graphics fot that

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 10:33
I guess most UK folk didn't see it, and it will be a day or so before everything filters through. :)

I still have no idea which i will buy, but i like the fact the PS4 isn't full of DRM and you don't need the Eye plugged in 24/7 and you don't need to connect to the internet.

Damien
11-06-2013, 10:38
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/analysis-the-one-two-combo-sony-used-to-knock-microsoft-out-of-e3-2013/

As crude as it is to declare a company the "winner" of E3, it's hard to see Sony's presentation today as anything but a PR coup for a company whose image in gaming has never recovered from the wake of E3 2006 and its giant enemy crabs. Among some of the most influential and hardest-to-please gamers on the Internet, Sony is now the savior company that can do no wrong. They should enjoy the ride, which will last just as long as it takes for them to do something wrong.

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 10:44
Was there anything on what media formats it supports or was it just about games?

Uncle Peter
11-06-2013, 11:53
- 8GB DDR5.. that is a ton load of the stuff for the price you're paying for the console

- No always-online requirement

- Self publishing of titles for indie developers

- No mandatory camera

- Gaikai

- Remote play

- No arm waving

Sound good to me.

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 11:55
Yes i think it will please alot of people. :)

v0id
11-06-2013, 14:54
No game trading limits is a bold statement for sony to make, unless there are no EA games on the PS4

gooner4life
11-06-2013, 15:53
what has EA games got to do with game trading?

EA have already dropped Online Passes, and they said the model is the same as PS3, no DRM.

andrewstevenson
11-06-2013, 17:25
Ps4 questions
I have some questions about ps4 can you help

1. What size hard drives are available

2. Will any ps4 be able to play any Playstation network content as rumoured it wouldn't

3 the game streaming service is coming to us in 2014 but no mention of uk

4. Is the previously saved content not transferable

5. If I buy fifa 14 from online or instore do I need to buy it again for ps4

cimt
11-06-2013, 17:29
1: 500GB with maybe a 750 or 1TB Slim version released a few years later.

2. Maybe with Gaikai.

3. It'll be released here eventually

4. Probably not but I think they've said you can continue your games from PS4 to Vita and vice-versa.

5. You'll need to buy it for PS4.

adzii_nufc
11-06-2013, 17:37
also note FIFA 14 for current gen and FIFA 14 next gen are likely two different games. Happened with FIFA 07

andrewstevenson
11-06-2013, 17:52
I know but ps2 and ps3 was massive and totally format with a store, but fifa 14 if you get digital should work for both. I have 1100 items on ps store I can't use on ps4 till Sony can be bothered to sort it

nstokes
11-06-2013, 17:56
I know but ps2 and ps3 was massive and totally format with a store, but fifa 14 if you get digital should work for both. I have 1100 items on ps store I can't use on ps4 till Sony can be bothered to sort it

This is same as Xbox One and has been the way for years. Its a way of devs getting more money and also its a different arcutitiure (excuse spelling)

cimt
11-06-2013, 18:22
The PS4 will have DRM, it's just up to the publishers if they want to use it. It was just announced on GameTrailers...

Damien
11-06-2013, 18:38
The PS4 will have DRM, it's just up to the publishers if they want to use it. It was just announced on GameTrailers...

That is a massive gaff if true after what Sony have said. They'll look like liars and Microsoft will look honest.

cimt
11-06-2013, 18:41
I know, shady move on their part. From what I'm reading they've also said it's upto the publishers to dictate the terms of the DRM. So MS has one system but Sony have went with letting publishers do whatever they want.

Damien
11-06-2013, 18:44
It looks like they are saying Publishers can put it into their own games but no signs it's inbuilt into the console. I.E Online passes. So they're in the clear at the moment.

Uncle Peter
11-06-2013, 18:46
Final specs:

◾Product name: PlayStation 4 Jet Black

◾Product code: CUH-1000A series

◾Recommended retail price: US $399, Canada $399, Europe €399, and UK £349

◾Main processor: Single-chip custom processor

◾CPU: x86/64 AMD "Jaguar", eight cores

◾GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine

◾Memory: GDDR5 8GB

◾Storage: 500GB hard disk drive

◾External dimensions: Approx 275x53x305mm (width x height x length -tentative, excludes largest projection)

◾Mass: Approx 2.8kg

◾Optical Drive: BD x6 CAV, DVD x8 CAV (read only)

◾Input/Output: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) port x2, AUX port x1

◾Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x1, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

◾AV Output: HDMI out port, Toslink SPDIF

◾Included: PlayStation 4 system, wireless controller (Dual Shock) x1, mono headset x1, AC power cord x1, HDMI cable x1, USB cable x1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-details-final-ps4-spec

cimt
11-06-2013, 18:49
It looks like they are saying Publishers can put it into their own games but no signs it's inbuilt into the console. I.E Online passes. So they're in the clear at the moment.

From what I'm seeing it could mean you'd have to be connected to things like Origin, uPlay and stuff. We all know how well that tends to work on PC, so imagine on a console.

Damien
11-06-2013, 18:53
From what I'm seeing it could mean you'd have to be connected to things like Origin, uPlay and stuff. We all know how well that tends to work on PC, so imagine on a console.

Nah it doesn't seem to mean that. That wouldn't work anyway because of the lack of online requirement. It seems, according to the IGN article anyway, that it's up to the publishers and they would need to write their own software to do it. Same as they do now with online passes.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4419566/sony-jack-tretton-publishers-can-choose-to-enforce-drm

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 19:07
I have read somewhere that the PS4 HDD will be user changable.

Damien
11-06-2013, 19:12
Better explanation: http://www.destructoid.com/did-tretton-confirm-drm-on-ps4-after-all-not-quite--256052.phtml#0o2XJctZq7mf1tt2.16

We have to wait and see to ensure Sony are really not changing anything but the interview today did not confirm Sony has DRM.

Tezcatlipoca
11-06-2013, 19:25

"Digital" is just a distribution method. Whether you bought the game via the PSN Store or on a disc, it is still a PS3 game, still coded for PS3s only, and therefore won't work on a PS4.

That is a massive gaff if true after what Sony have said. They'll look like liars and Microsoft will look honest.

Microsoft look like greedy fools, to me, regardless of anything Sony have said or will say.

adzii_nufc
11-06-2013, 21:23
Can't see many publishers implementing DRM on a huge scale besides the usual greedy EA. So I'ts not really that big of a problem before it gets out of hand again.

cimt
11-06-2013, 21:33
Sony clarified and said it's just for used games that have online. Basically online pass stuff.

adzii_nufc
11-06-2013, 21:47
Sony clarified and said it's just for used games that have online. Basically online pass stuff.

Single player only games are a rarity now and this screams cash in for EA unfortunately for some. I never purchase pre-owned games, largely due to wanting an unused copy that i'll never be trading in. No hassle with online passes etc.

Damien
11-06-2013, 21:51
EA have ditched online pass.

adzii_nufc
11-06-2013, 21:55
EA have ditched online pass.

For how long... It'll be back.

Little Q&A for you all :) Just click as images would have taken up half a giant post.

http://i.imgur.com/qlOVRBf.png

http://i.imgur.com/U3DppN6.png

http://i.imgur.com/NkRBj0H.png

http://i.imgur.com/7f3RAoc.png

http://i.imgur.com/n6ldUVH.png

http://i.imgur.com/EHOvxZF.png

Also the PS logo has been dropped from the PS4. I know I'm participating in both console debates with positive and negative factors for both consoles but it's a simple reason, I just love gaming. I'll play Xbox, PS or PC, I really do not care in the slightest =]

Added:

Holding a the new PS4 box design: http://i.imgur.com/3okqxvI.jpg

Tezcatlipoca
11-06-2013, 22:10

Yup, and only 3rd party games.

So it's actually better than system the PS3 has now, as 1st party games won't have Online Passes.

adzii_nufc
11-06-2013, 23:51
http://i.imgur.com/9Ww4B4F.jpg

SnoopZ
11-06-2013, 23:58
I hope we don't have to stand the PS4 upright as i have never been a fan of doing it like that and the thing looks huge so it probably won't fit on my TV stand.

SnoopZ
12-06-2013, 00:24
Here are some close up photos for anyone that wants them, including the the rear of the console, which is showing lack of USB ports at the back as i can't see them, which makes it awkward to plug in a USB 3 external drive if required.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=24596&stc=1&d=1370993003
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=24597&stc=1&d=1370993003
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=24598&stc=1&d=1370993003

Tezcatlipoca
12-06-2013, 00:50
Agh. You'd think that Sony would have realised the usefulness of rear USBs by now!

SnoopZ
12-06-2013, 00:53
Things can change though, just like they did on the PS3.

I hope there is no overheating issue with a built in power supply.

Tezcatlipoca
12-06-2013, 01:14
Ha. I would very much hope that both Sony and MS have learnt their lessons regarding badly designed and unreliable hardware, lol.

---------- Post added at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

Not sure if this has been posted...

Official Sony video on how to share PS4 games ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

SnoopZ
12-06-2013, 01:34
Lol yes it was posted earlier, loved it.

SnoopZ
12-06-2013, 11:47
Here is the PS4 user interface in action during gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6mTFOVQsjB0#!

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

Hi Res photos available, i think it looks pretty sleek when you see it like this.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1158120-a-look-at-the-new-ps4-design/page__st__45__p__595753494#entry595753494

coulsontom
12-06-2013, 14:00
It's massive. In 4/5 years time they'll be one available for less than £200 and much smaller in size.

Uncle Peter
12-06-2013, 14:08
It's massive. In 4/5 years time they'll be one available for less than £200 and much smaller in size.

Massive?

PS3 Slim: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm

PS4: 275mm x 53mm x 305mm

Barewolf
12-06-2013, 15:30

Its not massive, its small in comparison to some things, my set top box from Sky is massive, but it doesn't stop me using it to watch TV. Why would anyone wait 2 years for a slimline version that's £100 or so less in price, it defeats the purpose of releasing the Ps4 at Christmas.

dilli-theclaw
12-06-2013, 15:37
Its not massive, its small in comparison to some things, my set top box from Sky is massive, but it doesn't stop me using it to watch TV. Why would anyone wait 2 years for a slimline version that's £100 or so less in price, it defeats the purpose of releasing the Ps4 at Christmas.Maybe, while interested, they are not being sucked into Sony's clear cut plans to get the sheeple to buy early. ;)

SnoopZ
13-06-2013, 11:01
Do we know of a release date for the PS4 yet? :)

Can i signup for a PSN account before i have a playstation?

Uncle Peter
13-06-2013, 11:17
Do we know of a release date for the PS4 yet? :)

Can i signup for a PSN account before i have a playstation?

In the absence of anything official, not sure how accurate this is:

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19959/Sony-Playstation-4-Console-PS4

PSN? You sure can

http://uk.playstation.com/registration/

SnoopZ
13-06-2013, 11:26
In the absence of anything official, not sure how accurate this is:

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19959/Sony-Playstation-4-Console-PS4

PSN? You sure can

http://uk.playstation.com/registration/

Cheers for that, lets see if i can register what i want(unlikely).

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Do i NEED to put in legit info for my name and address or can i make it up? :)

Uncle Peter
13-06-2013, 11:38
Cheers for that, lets see if i can register what i want(unlikely).

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Do i NEED to put in legit info for my name and address or can i make it up? :)

Hmmm I would use your real details as it might affect your payment options in the PS Store.

SnoopZ
13-06-2013, 11:40
Yes i did in the end, shame i couldn't use the ID i wanted though, does it let you change the ID once it is created as i can't find the option incase i change my mind?

I guess i will have to use a different email if i can't.

Anyway i need to buy a PS4 first, assuming i don't change my mind. :)

Uncle Peter
13-06-2013, 11:49
I don't think you can change it at the moment, you never used to be able to. That's not to say things might change when they roll-out the PS4.

On a slightly different note, I noticed that there was this constant focus on "real world friends" during the E3 presentation. I wonder if they will prevent random freaks from bombarding you with friend requests.

Jameseh
13-06-2013, 12:01
Yeah, more emphasis on your real name than your ID now;

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2013/06/49.png

Damien
13-06-2013, 13:48
Probably means I can't trash talk people on Call of Duty :(.

Uncle Peter
13-06-2013, 15:35
Probably means I can't trash talk people on Call of Duty :(.

Nah... if they got a problem tell them to bring their mates and their lunch

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Playstation channel has released more details around game sharing on PS4

http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

SnoopZ
13-06-2013, 23:19
Here is a pretty cool video demonstrating the PS4 Dual Shock and the PS4 eye and i am pretty impressed with what i can see, looks like fun.

Watch it all if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AvpCdtjTrAo#!

SnoopZ
14-06-2013, 11:16
So the PS4 games will be region free, so does that mean i could easily import a PS4 game from USA etc alot cheaper or are there any import banning restrictions for things like this?

nstokes
14-06-2013, 11:23
So the PS4 games will be region free, so does that mean i could easily import a PS4 game from USA etc alot cheaper or are there any import banning restrictions for things like this?

Yep. This has been the case for years with the PS3. Its only region locked on DVD's and Blu Ray movies

SnoopZ
14-06-2013, 11:26
Don't certain sites restrict import of PS3 games to the UK, if i remember correctly i thought play asia did this, although i guess there will be other sites that let it happen.

If i can buy games on the cheap like this, this maybe another reason for me to get a PS4 as i believe the Xbone is region locked on games? mmmmm more decisions!

nstokes
14-06-2013, 11:43
Don't certain sites restrict import of PS3 games to the UK, if i remember correctly i thought play asia did this, although i guess there will be other sites that let it happen.

If i can buy games on the cheap like this, this maybe another reason for me to get a PS4 as i believe the Xbone is region locked on games? mmmmm more decisions!

Play Asia did used to do this. Sadly XBone is region locked

SnoopZ
14-06-2013, 11:45
Play Asias prices are really really cheap, which is my kind of price.

SnoopZ
14-06-2013, 21:36
Has anyone changed their mind about getting the PS4 as this thread seems strangely quiet compared to the Xbox One thread? :)

Tezcatlipoca
14-06-2013, 22:00
I still intend on buying both, but I'm as yet undecided over which one to get at launch and which one to get next year.

Damien
14-06-2013, 22:03
Nope. Just not much to say about PS4, looks good, they had a good E3 and it's advantage Sony whereas Microsoft's console provokes debate

SnoopZ
14-06-2013, 22:11
Yes you have a point about promoting debate Damien, with the PS4 it all seems so simple. :)

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

What did you guys think of the video in post 101? T think it looks pretty interesting but you need to watch it all.

Jameseh
14-06-2013, 23:00
Got my pre-order in at Game, can't wait. As for that video, its all camera stuff so it doesn't really interest me. Still nifty though.

SnoopZ
14-06-2013, 23:08
I won der what other games they can do with the camera.

And i hope the blue glow on the back of the DS4 won't reflect in a TV screen?

Bulky
14-06-2013, 23:26
I still intend on buying both, but I'm as yet undecided over which one to get at launch and which one to get next year.

This , but I've decided on xbox one first . Purely for the fact of dedicated servers and more of the exclusive games on xbox appeal to me.

Uncle Peter
15-06-2013, 00:28
This , but I've decided on xbox one first . Purely for the fact of dedicated servers and more of the exclusive games on xbox appeal to me.

Which dedicated servers are these?

Jameseh
15-06-2013, 00:43
Microsoft provide the MP servers on Xbox (other than EA) whereas its up to the publisher to provide them on PlayStation.

SnoopZ
15-06-2013, 00:46
Does it give a bad multiplayer experience on the PS3 compared to the 360?

Uncle Peter
15-06-2013, 00:54
Microsoft provide the MP servers on Xbox (other than EA) whereas its up to the publisher to provide them on PlayStation.

That is not quite how Xbox Live works. With a few exceptions, intra-game multiplayer data is peer-to-peer.

cimt
15-06-2013, 01:02
Which dedicated servers are these?

Xbox One is gunna have dedicated servers provided by MS.

Uncle Peter
15-06-2013, 01:03
Xbox One is gunna have dedicated servers provided by MS.

And what will they do?

Tezcatlipoca
15-06-2013, 01:32
... host the games instead of it relying upon P2P hosting by the players themselves.

Uncle Peter
15-06-2013, 01:49
... host the games instead of it relying upon P2P hosting by the players themselves.

But there's nothing official to confirm the role of these so-called dedicated servers, just a generous helping of speculation and conjecture extolling the virtues of the cloud. A dedicated server could be providing the ability to do something as simple as saving a game state. I would stake a generous amount of cash on the majority of the meaningful, latency sensitive data running over p2p channels.

Don't get me wrong, the xbox live user experience as it stands is vastly superior to PSN but this talk of 300,000 servers and all of the cloud buzz-words don't really wash in terms of what will pan-out in the real world.

nstokes
15-06-2013, 08:06
Has anyone changed their mind about getting the PS4 as this thread seems strangely quiet compared to the Xbox One thread? :)

Nope Xbox One for me

Same here ill get both at some point in time

nstokes
17-06-2013, 15:58
Rumor launch date is 21st Nov. This was in a paper. He find this on a website

SnoopZ
17-06-2013, 16:06
I wonder how much stock there will be as the Amazon poll was ended early and it showed that 95% of voters backed the PS4? 38984 votes for PS4 to only 2162 for the Xbone.

nstokes
17-06-2013, 17:13
The paper the article was The Sun

Stephen
17-06-2013, 17:27
I wonder how much stock there will be as the Amazon poll was ended early and it showed that 95% of voters backed the PS4? 38984 votes for PS4 to only 2162 for the Xbone.
I wouldn't take those results as fact.

SnoopZ
17-06-2013, 17:41
Oh i don't but it does appear from browsing around the internet that gamers are embracing the PS4 more than the Xbone One currently.

It'll be a good while before we can all compare side by side though which i am itching to see as i won't buy on day one. :)

adzii_nufc
19-06-2013, 14:29
Sony shoot themselves right through the foot.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/30/33693941-do-not-update-your-ps3.html#post35585893

Uncle Peter
19-06-2013, 15:19
Hands-on with the PS4 here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

The performance of the launch titles doesn't look too impressive right now apart from AC Black Flag. As expected, drive club looks utter gash so roll-on Forza!

SnoopZ
19-06-2013, 15:57
Hands on video here of Knack, i think it looks interesting and i am pleased i didn't see any jaggies! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Csr6ahk5RMg

SnoopZ
23-06-2013, 16:56
It is a bit quiet in this thread does anyone have any interesting news on the PS4? :)

Bulky
23-06-2013, 17:42
It is a bit quiet in this thread does anyone have any interesting news on the PS4? :)

It makes you wonder whether all the ps4 hype is fabricated ?

SnoopZ
23-06-2013, 18:42
My thinking is nothing has changed, the PS4 is still as described by Sony, so it isn't generating debate with bad press.

I currently am likely to be buying this at this moment in time and everyone i know with an Xbox are planning on doing the same, so we shall see how it all pans out. :)

SnoopZ
02-07-2013, 20:43
Not much news but it is something, apparently this is the PS4 box contents.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=24729&stc=1&d=1372794128

http://www.vgleaks.com/picture-of-the-contents-of-the-ps4-box-leaked-presumably-legit/

Uncle Peter
02-07-2013, 20:59
Woah... a HDMI cable. The boat hath well and truly been pushed out. Argos and ASDA will be hopping mad at Christmas, not to mention Dixons who will try to sell you one for 60 quid.

SnoopZ
02-07-2013, 21:03
I think the Xbone has an HDMI also. :)

Btw you can charge the DS controller from the PS4 usb while it is switched off which will be useful.

Uncle Peter
02-07-2013, 21:06
I think the Xbone has an HDMI also. :)

It's about time too. They probably only cost about 50p to make. Whether it's long enough is another matter (oo-er!)

SnoopZ
02-07-2013, 21:31
I am really looking forward to comparing these consoles side by side running the same games.

Tezcatlipoca
03-07-2013, 00:25
Latest EDGE:

http://media.edge-online.com/wp-content/uploads/edgeonline/2013/07/E256-cover.jpg

SnoopZ
03-07-2013, 20:59
Another reason i may get a PS4 with deals as good as this!!!

Battlefield 3, Saints Row: The Third and Payday: The Heist are free to PlayStation Plus subscribers from today.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a495512/psn-update-battlefield-3-saints-row-3-free-to-ps-plus-subscribers.html

nstokes
08-07-2013, 11:52
Lightbar on DS4 cant be turned off

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a496482/ps4-dualshock-4-light-bar-doesnt-switch-off.html

SnoopZ
08-07-2013, 12:10
I hope it doesn't glow too much and reflect in my TV.

nstokes
08-07-2013, 12:19
I hope it doesn't glow too much and reflect in my TV.

I think its a poor move by Sony IMO

SnoopZ
12-07-2013, 00:33
Sony have officially announced that you will be able to play digital downloads on any PS4. If you visit a friend then all you do is log into your account then you're free to play your game from a certain point while it is downloading.

http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-digital-games-can-be-played-on-multiple-consoles

nstokes
12-07-2013, 10:11
Idea taken from Xbox One me thinks

Tezcatlipoca
12-07-2013, 20:03
Sony have officially announced that you will be able to play digital downloads on any PS4. If you visit a friend then all you do is log into your account then you're free to play your game from a certain point while it is downloading.

http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-digital-games-can-be-played-on-multiple-consoles

Idea taken from Xbox One me thinks

... you can already do that with the 360 and PS3. Just log in to your XBL/PSN account, and your Marketplace/Store purchases are available (although you do need to download the whole thing).

What the Xbox One was going to do in addition to that (until the u-turn) was enable *all* your games, disc and download, to be available "in the cloud" due to linking every game to your account.

adzii_nufc
13-07-2013, 02:33
... you can already do that with the 360 and PS3. Just log in to your XBL/PSN account, and your Marketplace/Store purchases are available (although you do need to download the whole thing).

What the Xbox One was going to do in addition to that (until the u-turn) was enable *all* your games, disc and download, to be available "in the cloud" due to linking every game to your account.

Completely correct and because of the ability to do this on the 360 it leads to people sharing map packs and other paid content without the new user paying.

SnoopZ
12-08-2013, 21:42
IGN hands on video of the PS4, I think it looks pretty nice, although I don't like the shiny bits around the buttons on the controller.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/08/09/playstation-4-hands-on-impressions

SnoopZ
14-08-2013, 20:03
With the news today that Microsoft are delaying the launch of the Xbox One in 8 countries until 2014, Sony have now instructed retailers in the UK to stop accepting preorders.

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-suspends-pre-orders-for-ps4-fearing-christmas-stock-shortages

Barewolf
19-08-2013, 08:28

With all due respect, how many Ps3 owners now still play Ps2 games? The whole point of a Next Generation console is exactly that....It's the next generation, 12 Months down the line you're never going to start playing old content from Ps3.

Having just looked at some of the games due out on release, it's mind blowing, but these are just a glimpse of whats to come. I remember buying a game for my Ps3 that was released when the Ps3 came out, compared to the games released recently, it was like something out of the dark ages.

In 6 months to 12 months, anything on the Ps3 will look so dated, i really dont see the point that people wouldnt get the next gen console because of the amount of games they have on PSN. But each to their own I guess.

nstokes
20-08-2013, 19:55
The PS4 will be released on November 15 in North America and in Europe November 29. Prices are £399 euros, $399 and £349.

dilli-theclaw
20-08-2013, 20:42
HHHmmm - I only ever really got a ps3 for the multimedia side. The only real time it plays games is when I have my son over.

But I can see the missus getting me one of these for Christmas ;)

SnoopZ
20-08-2013, 23:07
I have just got in from work, is there any exciting news about the PS4 from Gamescom?

cimt
20-08-2013, 23:17
Minecraft is being released on PS3, PS4 and Vita. Is that exciting?

SnoopZ
21-08-2013, 00:59
Minecraft is being released on PS3, PS4 and Vita. Is that exciting?

Not to me, i would have liked a free full price game or even the camera free.

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 00:59 ---------- Previous post was 20-08-2013 at 23:25 ----------

You will be able to buy an additional controller in 2 more colours at launch, Magma red and wave blue.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/sony-dualshock-4-colors/

nstokes
21-08-2013, 10:10
I have just got in from work, is there any exciting news about the PS4 from Gamescom?

Apart from release date nothing much

SnoopZ
01-09-2013, 10:17
For anyone getting the PS4 there is a comment going around that an external HDD doesn't support game installs, atleast the internal can be upgraded.

thenry
19-09-2013, 20:43
Is it 100% sure/confirmed that PS3 games wont be able to be played on PS4? GTAV for PS3 playable on PS4 ?

SnoopZ
20-09-2013, 09:04
You won't be able to play PS3 games on a PS4 at launch but there has been talk of being able to play them via the cloud eventually for both consoles, but i think this is extremely unlikely for the majority of PS3 titles any time soon.

So if you're planning on getting a PS4 then just keep hold of your PS3.

thenry
20-09-2013, 12:03
:( why did GTA release on PS3 so close to the release date of PS4 :mad:

SnoopZ
20-09-2013, 12:20
More user base = more sales and the ps3 will still sell for a number of years to come.

You could argue why didn't you hold off buying it until it comes to the PS4. ;)

thenry
20-09-2013, 14:50
no patience either way :(

Uncle Peter
20-09-2013, 15:29
Considering the length of time GTA5 was in development it's probably unrealistic to expect them to have ported it to the PS4 in the limited time R* will have had the dev kits.

SnoopZ
27-09-2013, 16:22
For the PS4 folks planning on buying a PS4, it has officially been confirmed that there will be a PS4 Killzone bundle comprising of 2 DS4 controllers the camera and a boxed version of Killzone, all priced for around £429,it is also rumoured other bundles will be arriving soon.

I haven't seen it advertised yet but it looks like a good deal for you guys.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/killzone_shadow_fall/news/ps4_killzone_bundle_confirmed_for_uk.html

SnoopZ
15-10-2013, 12:55
This isn't a dig at the PS4 as it was locked in a box, but it looks like if the PS4 overheats you get a 'red line of death' on the outside of the console.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1182177-ps4s-red-line-of-death/#entry596023657

Uncle Peter
17-10-2013, 16:24
Drive Club delayed until 2014. Not really surprising as they will need until at least 2014 to rectify the fact that it looks just a bit crap.

Damien
27-10-2013, 15:36
https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer

Seems like Sony are preventing any play of their console until the thing ships, or just before it ships, and any reviews will be done in staged environments.

SnoopZ
30-10-2013, 23:09
The bad stuff about the ps4 is now getting dug up, apparently it can't play audio CDs or mp3!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Dr Gonzo
31-10-2013, 21:33
To be honest I use my PS3 to play games and watch blu-rays. I have a laptop with a 1Tb hard drive to store my music and mobile phones and mp3 players to play music.

I know a lot of people that store music & photo's on their PS3, but this is being marketed as a Next Gen Games Console. Not a Home Entertainment System.

What I am surprised at is the day one update to allow blu-ray playback, also 5400 rpm HDD. Would have liked a 7200 or SSD. But if 5400 cuts down on cost then so be it.

I'd imagine that 6 months to 1 year after launch there will be a 1Tb or larger variation.

Tezcatlipoca
31-10-2013, 23:44
The bad stuff about the ps4 is now getting dug up, apparently it can't play audio CDs or mp3!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

... and also no DLNA support, so no streaming media from a computer to the PS4, unlike with the PS3 :rolleyes:

Damien
01-11-2013, 07:12
They don't want you to stream your media onto it. They want you to pay them to play media via their steaming and download services. Expect the same with the Xbox One.

SnoopZ
01-11-2013, 11:52
They don't want you to stream your media onto it. They want you to pay them to play media via their steaming and download services. Expect the same with the Xbox One.

You can't use the Xbox One as a media extender MS have said.

Matt and Damien are you guys buying a PS4 or an Xbox or both? and Matt i know you went to the same show as me what were your impressions on the PS4 compared to the X1?

cimt
01-11-2013, 12:11
You can't use the Xbox One as a media extender MS have said.

Got a link to that? I know Major Nelson was looking into stuff like that but I don't believe he posted anything.

SnoopZ
01-11-2013, 12:12
Got a link to that? I know Major Nelson was looking into stuff like that but I don't believe he posted anything.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-xbox-one-wont-be-a-windows-media-center-extender

cimt
01-11-2013, 12:36
That doesn't mention anything about streaming from your PC or anything though.

SnoopZ
01-11-2013, 12:41
That doesn't mention anything about streaming from your PC or anything though.

That is exactly what it means i think, that is what a media center extender does, it streams from the Media Centre on a compatible OS PC to the Xbox and the X1 can't so that, as it isn't a 'media centre extender'.

Luckily i don't use it i use a network drive.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Will Xbox One work as a Windows Media Center Extender? For those that use a PC with TV tuner to record and watch TV, we use the 360 as an extender to stream this content to TVs. Will this continue with Xbox One?
WHITTEN: Xbox One isn’t a native Media Center Extender. We’ll continue to work to enable more ways for everyone to get the television they want over the life of the program.

Anyway i guess this should be in the X1 thread.

cimt
01-11-2013, 12:49
On the 360 and PS3 you don't need to use MC to stream stuff. If you use something like PS3 Media Server or actually set the right folders up to share then you can stream stuff without using WMC.

SnoopZ
01-11-2013, 12:53
On the 360 and PS3 you don't need to use MC to stream stuff. If you use something like PS3 Media Server or actually set the right folders up to share then you can stream stuff without using WMC.

I know but this is talking about the native 'Windows Media Centre Extender' it does not exist now for the X1, you can not have your movies on the PC and use it like you could on the 360, not sure if another app on a PC would work on the X1 it is a wait and see game i guess.

I am not sure who does that now though with a network drive all the rage.

Tezcatlipoca
01-11-2013, 19:29
I've never used the Media Centre Extender stuff for my 360. Never seen the point when you could just run a DLNA server on your PC (like PS3MediaServer or TVersity) and stream using that.

So long as the Xbox One still supports DLNA and mp4 etc. like the 360, there will be no need for Media Centre Extender functions if all you want is streaming.

And getting back to the PS4 ;) Hopefully Sony will listen to the fans and give the PS4 the same support the PS3 has!

SnoopZ
01-11-2013, 19:56
I've never used the Media Centre Extender stuff for my 360. Never seen the point when you could just run a DLNA server on your PC (like PS3MediaServer or TVersity) and stream using that.

So long as the Xbox One still supports DLNA and mp4 etc. like the 360, there will be no need for Media Centre Extender functions if all you want is streaming.

And getting back to the PS4 ;) Hopefully Sony will listen to the fans and give the PS4 the same support the PS3 has!

Rumour - Sony will add support for mp3 and DLNA in a 2nd PS4 update.

http://n4g.com/news/1384779/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update

Incase anyone has missed it, there is no support for external HDDs on the PS4, and it isn't currently planned but atleast they let you put a bigger internal drive in the PS4.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1185081-ps4-wont-support-external-hard-drives-specs-for-replacement-drives-revealed/

Uncle Peter
01-11-2013, 20:20
User replaceable HDD though. Would be nice if the PS4 supports an SSD replacement.

Tezcatlipoca
01-11-2013, 20:50
Does the PS3 take SSDs? I know you can use hybrids.

tizmeinnit
01-11-2013, 20:51

would imagine so as any drive works as long as it fits in the slot ( few are to thick) would be a waste though imo

SnoopZ
01-11-2013, 22:13

I read somewhere the HDD had to be greater than 160GB and SATAII, not sure about SSDs though, although 1 of those would be seriously expensive.

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

I spose same as the tv stuff it will require a live sub :(

A topic for the Xbox One thread i guess but live will likely cost £30ish a year so not too bad.

Tezcatlipoca
01-11-2013, 22:28
I've moved some posts from here to the Xbox One thread! ;) :)

nstokes
13-11-2013, 16:05
I guessing a firmware update will resolve this. PS4 doesnt suppoort 3D Blu Ray according to the manual.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a530981/ps4-doesnt-support-3d-blu-ray-discs.html

Stephen
13-11-2013, 17:59
Rather odd that neither Next Gen console will play 3D Blu Rays from the get go!

Bit odd that TBH. I use my PS3 for Blu Rays a lot and also 3D. If I got either new console I would need to keep my PS3 so I could continue to watch my full movie collection.

I know there will probably be updates to rectify ths but why they can't do 3D from launch is a bit strange.

SnoopZ
13-11-2013, 23:49
For everyone here getting a PS4 the reviews are starting to filter in, 1 of the surprising things i picked up on though is NO 5ghz wireless support.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1187671-official-ps4-system-reviews/

Uncle Peter
14-11-2013, 00:14
Those reviews will be on pre-release OS though so the lack of 802.11n might not be the case for the RTM consoles.

The biggest problem with the PS4 is actually that the launch titles aren't exactly stellar so it's probably not worth buying one for another 6-12 months, in fact you could say the same about the Xbox One unless you really want Forza 5 which looks like a bit of a con.

Stephen
14-11-2013, 00:26
News just in COD: Ghosts campaign actually runs at 720p out of the box. It will need a day one patch to enable 1080p for single player.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/438125/call-of-duty-ghosts-day-one-patch-will-add-1080p-to-ps4-campaign/

Also it is possible to install an SSD to the PS4. Video walkthrough and test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_nt2Dwf78

SnoopZ
14-11-2013, 00:47
I can't see the point of installing an ssd, surely it would cost far to much so not worth it.

Stephen
14-11-2013, 00:53
Its faster? maybe in time when they get cheaper though.

Really don't like the UI of the PS4.

SnoopZ
14-11-2013, 01:05
Yes it is faster but it would cost way too much for years, I also heard the interface was sata2 only, I think the X1 is to.

SnoopZ
14-11-2013, 11:23
There appears to be alot of early reports of people having bricked PS4s, lets hope it isn't as bad as it seems.

Stephen
14-11-2013, 23:02
Had a shot of a PS4 today in Game. Contoller was great but really don't like the UI.

Also only demos were Knack and Fifa. Neither sold the system to me.

SnoopZ
14-11-2013, 23:11
Had a shot of a PS4 today in Game. Contoller was great but really don't like the UI.

Also only demos were Knack and Fifa. Neither sold the system to me.

Do you intend to get a PS4 eventually as well as an X1?

adzii_nufc
14-11-2013, 23:28
I've just bought one.

SnoopZ
14-11-2013, 23:36
I've just bought one.

So you went from not wanting any console to owning both soon in under a week? :)

adzii_nufc
14-11-2013, 23:51
So you went from not wanting any console to owning both soon in under a week? :)

Well I bought a new PC. Then I found out about the Xbox. Then I was browsing Amazon and just...yeah. ordered a new capture card bumping it up to three capture cards and three monitors. If the new cards have X split support then I could even record all three side by side.

I had an Xbox one controller ordered and forgot. So now ill have two. I very rarely play local MP.

I've spent £2810 in the past week on gaming related stuff.

SnoopZ
14-11-2013, 23:53
Sounds a bit excessive. ;)

I could do with a better TV if you have any money spare. ;)

adzii_nufc
14-11-2013, 23:58
Sounds a bit excessive. ;)

I could do with a better TV if you have any money spare. ;)

I actually wanted a bloody TV too. I play on monitors btw. I have a projector but it looks crap.
Instead I've went and spent the above on all this stuff! I must note I'm in a position where I pay no bills or have any monthly outgoings so I generally get to keep 100% of my wage. House is paid for etc.

SnoopZ
15-11-2013, 00:08
He he, my 40in sony TV still looks OK but when I was at Eurogamer other TVs looked so much better so I am waiting for my TV to die which should be soon I hope.

adzii_nufc
15-11-2013, 00:13
He he, my 40in sony TV still looks OK but when I was at Eurogamer other TVs looked so much better so I am waiting for my TV to die which should be soon I hope.

I find it awkward playing on bigger tvs. Although I usually sit about a ft away from the screens I have so easily explained. I remember Xbox released a VGA cable for use with the first gen 360. Can't remember if Sony ever did.

Stephen
15-11-2013, 15:35
Do you intend to get a PS4 eventually as well as an X1?
I will do eventually. They just announced Uncharted, so thats a must get game. Currenly the PS4 launch line up doesn't really do much for me either.

adzii_nufc
15-11-2013, 17:15
Not hearing of any major issues since launch. I wonder what actually caused those taco bell and review consoles to brick.

Tezcatlipoca
15-11-2013, 19:15
I will do eventually. They just announced Uncharted, so thats a must get game. Currenly the PS4 launch line up doesn't really do much for me either.

Uncharted 4 teaser video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o)

I'll be getting a PS4 when this comes out...

Stephen
15-11-2013, 19:22
Not hearing of any major issues since launch. I wonder what actually caused those taco bell and review consoles to brick.
I have heard of some HDMI issues which Sony have been looking in to.

adzii_nufc
15-11-2013, 19:35
Ah sorry I did see that yesterday, Didn't know it was ongoing though. Seems minor anyway.

SnoopZ
15-11-2013, 21:26
Beware, possible game issues after installing the 1.5 patch.

http://www.neowin.net/news/ea-current-ps4-150-firmware-version-causing-stability-issues-with-games

adzii_nufc
15-11-2013, 21:37
Opened my mouth too soon.

adzii_nufc
16-11-2013, 04:50
Just read that a red line appearing on your console means it's overheating. People are reporting consoles that have done it after 5 minutes. Are they having a laugh though? they expect the console to overheat? Someone said an on board psu was a bad idea....

Bulky
16-11-2013, 08:32
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Broken-PlayStation-4-Systems/m-p/42122503#U42122503

Yep seems to be quite a few issues arising , PSN had also buckled under the strain and users can't download the day one update or play online.

SnoopZ
16-11-2013, 16:19
Loads of problems judging by Amazon reviews assuming they're legit, i hope the X1 doesn't suffer like this.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Launch-Edition/product-reviews/B00BGA9WK2/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Bulky
16-11-2013, 16:53
Loads of problems judging by Amazon reviews assuming they're legit, i hope the X1 doesn't suffer like this.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Launch-Edition/product-reviews/B00BGA9WK2/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

I have no doubt there will be hardware failures on day one for xbox one , it's just how many , the ps4 failure rate seems quite bad but it's difficult to judge because people don't report that their consoles working they're too busy playing it !! , I'm a little concerned that xbl may be overloaded on day one forcing me to buy disc based media !!!

SnoopZ
16-11-2013, 17:40
I have no doubt there will be hardware failures on day one for xbox one , it's just how many , the ps4 failure rate seems quite bad but it's difficult to judge because people don't report that their consoles working they're too busy playing it !! , I'm a little concerned that xbl may be overloaded on day one forcing me to buy disc based media !!!

I share your worries, i bought the disk based BF4 this gives me something to play incase i can't download the free Forza and Killer instinct as well as Assassins Creed 4 when i find out how much digital versions cost as i would like to get that digital.

Why don't you buy 1 game on disk to tide yourself over incase of xbl disruption, you don't have to open the game so if you're able to download ok you can then return it to the shop for a refund? :)

Stephen
16-11-2013, 18:26
Played on a PS4 again today. Really love the controller but still launch line up leaves a lot to be desired.

Demo units only have playable demos of Fifa 14, Knack, a demo of Playroom and trailers of the other games and videos about the systems and controller.

Killzone demo would have been bettter!

SnoopZ
16-11-2013, 20:34
Just browsing around the net alot of posts are coming up saying their PS4 has died too and not all from amazon.

I read somewhere that Amazon have processed over 1000 returns so far.

Not a good launch for Sony at all.

Uncle Peter
16-11-2013, 20:52
Not looking too good is it... The perils of launch day consoles.

I'm waiting for the next sku before buying either.

SnoopZ
17-11-2013, 11:14
Rumours are flying around Sony have asked Amazon to stop selling the ps4 and Sony have stopped production until the faulty units have been examined, not sure how much truth there is just beware and possibly take with a pinch of salt until something official appears.

Tezcatlipoca
17-11-2013, 15:10
I bet that's BS.

Even if Amazon has process 1000 returns already, Sony has sold *1 million units* during the launch weekend.

Kabaal
17-11-2013, 19:43
I bet that's BS.

Even if Amazon has process 1000 returns already, Sony has sold *1 million units* during the launch weekend.

Have a look at the amazon reviews, ~1000 have given it 5 stars but ~500 have given it 1 star with comments about it either being DOA or dies soon after.

30% is a massive amount.

SnoopZ
17-11-2013, 19:57
Here is a list of current PS4 problems some with videos to be aware of.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1187789-broken-ps4-systems-popping-up/page-11#entry596107609

Bulky
17-11-2013, 20:00
Have a look at the amazon reviews, ~1000 have given it 5 stars but ~500 have given it 1 star with comments about it either being DOA or dies soon after.

30% is a massive amount.

There's a good chance a lot of those reviews are written by people with nothing better to do and don't actually own a ps4 ;)

Kabaal
17-11-2013, 20:07
There's a good chance a lot of those reviews are written by people with nothing better to do and don't actually own a ps4 ;)

Possibly but the issues seem to be pretty widespread, there are the same complaints all over the net atm.

I imagine it'll end up being a small percentage that are DOA and just those that are being vocal but it's not a good start for Sony.

Tezcatlipoca
17-11-2013, 21:45

30% is a massive amount.

Amazon reviews are generally a load of crap, much like user reviews on Metacritic.

Where are you getting 30% from?

Also, people who are angry or disappointed with a purchase are always more vocal online than those who are happy and satisfied and just getting on with using it.

adzii_nufc
18-11-2013, 05:52
I need a Sony fanboy urgently! I'll be getting PSN plus when I get the PS4. I was just thinking now though can I download all the free games for my PS3 or are those offers gone? Secondly it'd be a massive help if you cleared the following up.

I'm finally looking to play the uncharted series, TLOU, GT5 and little big planet. Could someone tell me which I'd need to purchase because I've heard some are free with PS Plus?
Going to purchase a PS Plus sub if I can still join the fun!

SnoopZ
18-11-2013, 08:02
I am not a fanboy but I think the free games change monthly.

adzii_nufc
18-11-2013, 08:12
I am not a fanboy but I think the free games change monthly.

Bit like games for gold on Xbox then? short time period then gone.

SnoopZ
18-11-2013, 08:18
Yes but the games are a lot better and a lot to download. Also if you stop your PS plus you lose the games.

---------- Post added at 08:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

Mainly for ps3 currently

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/11/13/december-2013-playstation-plus-free-games-in-europe-include-grid-2-resogun-and-more/

Graham M
18-11-2013, 12:29
Nb, if you stop ps plus, the games will stay on your system but will not run until you renew your sub.

adzii_nufc
18-11-2013, 15:15
Dug the old dusty blue PS3 out and bought the entire Uncharted Series, TLOU, LBP 2 and GT5.

Software updates!

SnoopZ
18-11-2013, 15:17
When is your PS4 due for delivery seeing you ordered it late?

cimt
18-11-2013, 15:18
I wouldn't of bothered with LBP2 and GT5. The Uncharted games and TLOU will eat up a **** load of time.

SnoopZ
18-11-2013, 15:19
You need time to play the Xbox One and PS4! I don't even have time to play my 360 that much due to working shifts.

adzii_nufc
18-11-2013, 15:20
I wouldn't of bothered with LBP2 and GT5. The Uncharted games and TLOU will eat up a **** load of time.

I feel like I've missed an entire generation though, I've detailed somewhere about me buying the PS3 for the Getaway 3 then never playing it again. I traded the old one in towards a new blue console and never played that either. Today we change!

Uncharted first or TLOU? :D

cimt
18-11-2013, 15:22
I'd start with Uncharted.

adzii_nufc
18-11-2013, 15:42
Just Subbed and got about 5-6 games free.

Hom3r
18-11-2013, 22:18
Some PS4s are already expensive paperweights http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24987718

adzii_nufc
18-11-2013, 22:53
When is your PS4 due for delivery seeing you ordered it late?

Says 23rd December but I won't hold my breath.

Tezcatlipoca
18-11-2013, 23:10
I feel like I've missed an entire generation though, I've detailed somewhere about me buying the PS3 for the Getaway 3 then never playing it again. I traded the old one in towards a new blue console and never played that either. Today we change!

Uncharted first or TLOU? :D

I'd start with Uncharted.

I agree with Craig! :)

Play the Uncharted games first before The Last of Us.

adzii_nufc
18-11-2013, 23:17
I'm up to the plane crash on Uncharted, started earlier.

adzii_nufc
19-11-2013, 01:37
I can't believe how far behind Forza the Gran Turismo series is. :confused:
Forza already has a jump on next-gen too. I can't believe GT6 isn't a PS4 game.

SnoopZ
19-11-2013, 08:05
When I saw gt6 at the show opposite forza it looked rubbish compared to forza.

Stephen
19-11-2013, 16:52
Still unsure of which next next console to get?

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/47/xbox-ps4.jpg

adzii_nufc
20-11-2013, 15:29
When I saw gt6 at the show opposite forza it looked rubbish compared to forza.

Mate you have to see it to believe it, GT5 isn't bad, it's shocking. I was amazed at how bad it actually is when you see 9/10 reviews.

2/10 game at best.

SnoopZ
20-11-2013, 15:38
Mate you have to see it to believe it, GT5 isn't bad, it's shocking. I was amazed at how bad it actually is when you see 9/10 reviews.

2/10 game at best.

Everything looked so dated when i compared it to Forza 5.

cimt
20-11-2013, 15:38
What I liked about GT5 was the day/night races and I believe there was weather as well. I wish they'd add that to Forza. The problem with the GT series is that they go for quantity over quality. When GT5 launched only a handful of cars had cockpit view and the backgrounds of tracks looked like they were 2D.

Uncle Peter
20-11-2013, 17:30
Everything looked so dated when i compared it to Forza 5.

Unfortunately the *real* Forza 5 footage that's now in the wild looks a bit meh.... nothing like what they showed running on the dev kits at E3.

SnoopZ
20-11-2013, 17:33
Unfortunately the *real* Forza 5 footage that's now in the wild looks a bit meh.... nothing like what they showed running on the dev kits at E3.

When i played it on the X1 i was blown away, so looked great to me. :)

Uncle Peter
20-11-2013, 17:46
Compared to the E3 demo looks a bit flat and lifeless to me. The lighting effects don't look as nice and the texture quality isn't as good.

http://youtu.be/ZzEEMxC4O6E

*720p