PDA

View Full Version : Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Pages : [1] 2

denphone
30-10-2012, 20:22
Media giant Disney has purchased movie and TV production house Lucasfilm for $4.05B in cash and stock. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga. Lucasfilm founder George Lucas will act as a creative consultant for the next film.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10/30/disney-purchases-lucasfilm-including-the-star-wars-franchise-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock/

:hyper::hyper:

Hom3r
30-10-2012, 20:28
http://news.sky.com/story/1004857/disney-agrees-deal-for-star-wars-film-company

Jameseh
30-10-2012, 20:34
Disney have done well with Marvel and The Avengers so hopefully they will do as well with Star Wars.

Will21st
30-10-2012, 20:36
Media giant Disney has purchased movie and TV production house Lucasfilm for $4.05B in cash and stock. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga. Lucasfilm founder George Lucas will act as a creative consultant for the next film.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10/30/disney-purchases-lucasfilm-including-the-star-wars-franchise-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock/

:hyper::hyper:

That new films were coming hasn't really been news for a while now,but Disney buying Lucasfilm.... wow :shocked:

I guess this mean we will get a new 3D Star Wars movie and Avatar 2 3D in 2015!! :shocked:
What a year that is going to be!

Tezcatlipoca
30-10-2012, 21:01
This is (potentially) awesome news :)

More Star Wars films... without George to mess them up! :D

tizmeinnit
30-10-2012, 21:09

I dunno how I feel about this. The fact its Disney means it will not be dark gritty and bloody which is what I really want to see from a new Star Wars movie

denphone
30-10-2012, 21:13
I dunno how I feel about this. The fact its Disney means it will not be dark gritty and bloody which is what I really want to see from a new Star Wars movie

Yes it will be interesting on how that go about doing these further films and what possible new characters we will possibly see.

Will21st
30-10-2012, 21:17

Well,he is staying on as a creative consultant :p:

v0id
30-10-2012, 21:24

All 6 Star Wars films films were rated U by the BBFC. Are you expecting Disney to change that?

tizmeinnit
30-10-2012, 21:40
All 6 Star Wars films films were rated U by the BBFC. Are you expecting Disney to change that?

No if you read my post properly I clearly state Disney will not provide the movie I want

Oh and btw revenge of the sith was a 12 ;)

oh deary me 1 and 2 were PG

Maggy
30-10-2012, 21:52
I adore Science Fiction..but frankly most of the SF films produced at the moment are just plain total tat..full of 2 dimensional people and all about special effects.

I tend to be serious about my SF and I don't actually read any comic books and frankly the science in them is crap.However this is what seems to be leading the SF film market.That and endlessly franchised crap.

The last really good SF film that had any real worth was Gattaca..it did what SF is suppose to do.It explored ideas and shunned action.Dialogue and plot were all and the acting was superb.But then a film with Jude Law,Ethan Hawke would bound to have good acting.What's more it's a believable just possible futuristic view of a future world.

Sadly I cannot see how a 7th film of a increasingly ridiculous franchise with be really worth making let alone viewing especially if cutesy wutesy Disney are involved.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I loved Star Wars and Star Trek but I have grown up and I now want some really good SF.I am fed up with Hollywood milking the continuous franchises and spin offs and reboots.

I want something NEW. And thank heavens there was NEVER a Blade Runner 2...

ThunderPants73
30-10-2012, 21:54
The three 'new' SW films were dire. Why make more? The originals have never been, and never will be improved upon.

Stuart
30-10-2012, 21:58

You ever seen Pulp Fiction? That was technically a Disney movie as Disney owned Miramax (the studio that produced Pulp Fiction) when it was produced.

Disney apparently have a rule. They will only produce family friendly films under the Disney name (to protect the image) but subsidiary studios are free to produce films in whatever genre they want.

tizmeinnit
30-10-2012, 22:00
You ever seen Pulp Fiction? That was technically a Disney movie as Disney owned Miramax (the studio that produced Pulp Fiction) when it was produced.

Disney apparently have a rule. They will only produce family friendly films under the Disney name (to protect the image) but subsidiary studios are free to produce films in whatever genre they want.

Do you honestly think they will make a grown up Star Wars? I doubt it but I hope they do

dilli-theclaw
30-10-2012, 22:02
I adore Science Fiction..but frankly most of the SF films produced at the moment are just plain total tat..full of 2 dimensional people and all about special effects.

I tend to be serious about my SF and I don't actually read any comic books and frankly the science in them is crap.However this is what seems to be leading the SF film market.That and endlessly franchised crap.

The last really good SF film that had any real worth was Gattaca..it did what SF is suppose to do.It explored ideas and shunned action.Dialogue and plot were all and the acting was superb.But then a film with Jude Law,Ethan Hawke would bound to have good acting.What's more it's a believable just possible futuristic view of a future world.

Sadly I cannot see how a 7th film of a increasingly ridiculous franchise with be really worth making let alone viewing especially if cutesy wutesy Disney are involved.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I loved Star Wars and Star Trek but I have grown up and I now want some really good SF.I am fed up with Hollywood milking the continuous franchises and spin offs and reboots.

Yet . Blade runner two is in development.

Hugh
30-10-2012, 22:03
Maggy, try

Moon
Galaxy Quest
District 9
12 Monkeys
Primer

tizmeinnit
30-10-2012, 22:04

The book first thought of as Science Fiction was John Carter of Mars written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and that was action

Also sorry to say they are making Bladerunner 2

Maggy
30-10-2012, 22:07
Yet . Blade runner two is in development.

At least it was never actually like the book..Funny how every attempt at a Philip K Dick book has never worked..but that's because Hollywood moguls think SF is crapola anyway and don't care to treat it as they would a Jane Austen or Shakespeare.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

The book first thought of as Science Fiction was John Carter of Mars written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and that was action

Also sorry to say they are making Bladerunner 2

The science was crap and so were the books.:p:

tizmeinnit
30-10-2012, 22:12
At least it was never actually like the book..Funny how every attempt at a Philip K Dick book has never worked..but that's because Hollywood moguls think SF is crapola anyway and don't care to treat it as they would a Jane Austen or Shakespeare.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

The science was crap and so were the books.:p:

Ive just had my belief structure wrecked. Now I love Bladerunner and I think it is easily one of the best films ever made and I am sure I saw all versions but I just read an interview where Ridley Scott says Deckard was a Nexus 6. Now I never got that from the films maybe I should have read the book

Maggy
30-10-2012, 22:21
Ive just had my belief structure wrecked. Now I love Bladerunner and I think it is easily one of the best films ever made and I am sure I saw all versions but I just read an interview where Ridley Scott says Deckard was a Nexus 6. Now I never got that from the films maybe I should have read the book

The book is nothing like the film.But then Minority Report and Total Recall are nothing like the books.

Stuart
30-10-2012, 23:19
Do you honestly think they will make a grown up Star Wars? I doubt it but I hope they do

TBH, I don't think they will. I was just making the point that Disney don't necessarily make family friendly films.

Tezcatlipoca
31-10-2012, 00:26
Well,he is staying on as a creative consultant :p:

So long as he is not writing or directing!

The three 'new' SW films were dire. Why make more? The originals have never been, and never will be improved upon.

The three prequels were dire because Lucas did it all himself, with shoddy writing and excessive CGI.

I read a while back that his ex-wife was allegedly an important part of the original trilogy, as she provided a reality check of sorts. With her gone when the prequels were made, and with Lucas writing and directing all three himself instead of letting others be involved, there was no one there anymore to say "Actually, George, that's a really stupid idea...".

Why make more? Money, of course ;) It's a ridiculously enormous franchise.

Will they be better than the originals? Probably not, but who knows... Depends on who writes and directs, and how free they are of Lucas' influence.

I can't see them being as bad as the prequels, though.

I actually have faith in Disney for these, given how well it has handled the Marvel franchise. Just a pity Joss Whedon will be tied up with The Avengers... I'd love a Whedonised Star Wars...

Plenty of other directors though who I think could give it a good shot.

Maggy, try

Moon
Galaxy Quest
District 9
12 Monkeys
Primer

Good list :tu:

I'd also add Looper.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

Oh, and something I mentioned elsewhere earlier... I would really *love* it if this meant that we may finally get the *Original* trilogy on Blu-ray. I can dream...

denphone
31-10-2012, 05:23

Don't bet on it Maggy because as several posters have said anything that can make a fast buck is vulnerable to either a prequel, sequel or remake these days.:)

Mr_love_monkey
31-10-2012, 06:45

No they weren't.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Episode-III-Revenge/dp/B00097E6EU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1351665901&sr=8-10

Pierre
31-10-2012, 08:17

What always makes me laugh about "adults" that review Star Wars films and then have a go a them for not being gritty enough etc.etc.etc.

Is that the Star Wars films are for kids, and are squarely aimed at kids, and George Lucas has repeatedly emphasised that is what they are about.

They were supposed to be a return to Sat morning kids adventures like Flash Gordan and Buck Rogers.

If you want dark gritty sci-fi, see Prometheus or Sci-fi that makes you think see Source Code.

The reason the prequels got panned is because all the 8 -12years olds that watched the original trilogy were now all in their late 30's and couldn't differentiate anymore.

Although they had their flaws, as did the original trilogy, I thought the prequels were good fun.

I look forward to the new films.

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

Unicorn?

tizmeinnit
31-10-2012, 08:18
What always makes me laugh about "adults" that review Star Wars films and then have a go a them for not being gritty enough etc.etc.etc.

Is that the Star Wars films are for kids, and are squarely aimed at kids, and George Lucas has repeatedly emphasised that is what they are about.

They were supposed to be a return to Sat morning kids adventures like Flash Gordan and Buck Rogers.

If you want dark gritty sci-fi, see Prometheus or Sci-fi that makes you think see Source Code.

The reason the prequels got panned is because all the 8 -12years olds that watched the original trilogy were now all in their late 30's and couldn't differentiate anymore.

Although they had their flaws, as did the original trilogy, I thought the prequels were good fun.

Unicorn?

I disagree they were family movies

The Unicorn left by Gaff was pointed out to me last night and also the collection of photos he had collected. I think I lost focus thinking to much about Rachael and if she had a fixed lifespan or not the Unicorn was lost on me

Maggy
31-10-2012, 08:27

Unicorn?

As usual you have entirely failed to see my point.I dislike the way SF is handled by Hollywood as only being for children..and only aiming for the lowest common denominator..This is shown by the way we get 'trilogies' and prequels and franchising of what once was a very good premise.

Another example of an excellent SF film is the Andromeda Strain..again devoid of overpowering FX..mainly because at the time of it's making there was a nice lack of FX. I'm just wanting a well written thoughtful SF film that truly explores the human mind/condition which is what SF can do very well without the whizzbang effects much of today's SF films..

Also it wasn't me who was talking about gritty films.But practically all the SF coming out of Hollywood is just plain mush for undemanding minds.:rolleyes:

Pierre
31-10-2012, 08:33
I disagree they were family movies

Here's a good piece on Star Wars Childrens movie angle

http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk/reader/chapter.php?id=9

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

As usual you have entirely failed to see my point.I dislike the way SF is handled by Hollywood as only being for children..and only aiming for the lowest common denominator..This is shown by the way we get 'trilogies' and prequels and franchising of what once was a very good premise.

Another example of an excellent SF film is the Andromeda Strain..again devoid of overpowering FX..mainly because at the time of it's making there was a nice lack of FX. I'm just wanting a well written thoughtful SF film that truly explores the human mind/condition which is what SF can do very well without the whizzbang effects much of today's SF films..

Also it wasn't me who was talking about gritty films.But practically all the SF coming out of Hollywood is just plain mush for undemanding minds.:rolleyes:

Well in a thread about Star Wars, which is basically a fairy tale aimed at kids, I think your point is misplaced.

Chris
31-10-2012, 08:48
Will they be better than the originals? Probably not, but who knows... Depends on who writes and directs, and how free they are of Lucas' influence.

Paramount gave Gene Roddenberry an executive position which AFAIK he held throughout production of all the movies and Next Gen TV episodes until he died. He seems to have spent a lot of time firing off angry memos about how they were ruining the franchise. Paramount seems to have spent a lot of time ignoring him.

If Disney does likewise with George they won't go far wrong.

Maggy
31-10-2012, 08:57
Here's a good piece on Star Wars Childrens movie angle

http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk/reader/chapter.php?id=9

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

Well in a thread about Star Wars, which is basically a fairy tale aimed at kids, I think your point is misplaced.

No it isn't.I'm entirely correct to raise my dislike of the way Hollywood handles SF films in a thread about how yet again the film companies are screwing over a franchise that should have died a death years ago.:rolleyes:

Hugh
31-10-2012, 09:38
Download Failed (1)

Pierre
31-10-2012, 09:41
No it isn't.I'm entirely correct to raise my dislike of the way Hollywood handles SF films in a thread about how yet again the film companies are screwing over a franchise that should have died a death years ago.:rolleyes:

You might as well be complaining that The Goonies isn't adult enough.

tizmeinnit
31-10-2012, 10:27
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384247_10151316296895815_1090489815_n.jpg

Stolen for Facebook lol

Stuart
31-10-2012, 12:24
Paramount gave Gene Roddenberry an executive position which AFAIK he held throughout production of all the movies and Next Gen TV episodes until he died. He seems to have spent a lot of time firing off angry memos about how they were ruining the franchise. Paramount seems to have spent a lot of time ignoring him.

If Disney does likewise with George they won't go far wrong.

I remember reading that part of the problem was that, according to one executive at least, every time Gene submitted a potential story, it ended up with Kirk on a grassy knoll in Dallas in 1963.

Maggy
31-10-2012, 12:31
You might as well be complaining that The Goonies isn't adult enough.

There is no chance of having an adult discussion with you.. So I shan't bother any further.:rolleyes:

Anonymouse
31-10-2012, 14:47
This news is somewhat unbelievable. I'm not sure it's good news or not.

For one thing, the saga is essentially over. Both Luke's and Anakin's journeys are complete; what more is there to tell? Unless they're going to adapt one or more of the novels, or do a pre-prequel. Now that would be interesting! Going back to the dawn of the Sith!

Hugh
31-10-2012, 15:06
The original third trilogy (7,8,9) was to be set after the events of 4,5,6 (first three films made).

Pierre
31-10-2012, 18:55
The original third trilogy (7,8,9) was to be set after the events of 4,5,6 (first three films made).

Amazing!!!!!!!

You mean in chronological order?

How did they ever come up with something as game changing as that?

Thanks for the heads up!

Hugh
31-10-2012, 19:27
Well, since the previous poster said ......,or do a pre-prequel. Now that would be interesting! Going back to the dawn of the Sith!

Context is all - but thanks for the subtle irony....

Hom3r
31-10-2012, 22:16
Saw this on George Takei's facebook page :D

Download Failed (1)

Epic Fail

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

This news is somewhat unbelievable. I'm not sure it's good news or not.

For one thing, the saga is essentially over. Both Luke's and Anakin's journeys are complete; what more is there to tell? Unless they're going to adapt one or more of the novels, or do a pre-prequel. Now that would be interesting! Going back to the dawn of the Sith!

Luke story hadn't finished, he could go on to train more Jedi.

Han & Leah have kids

Stephen
31-10-2012, 23:14
Saw this on George Takei's facebook page :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/391632_546623615367096_478368518_n.jpg

Epic Fail

It's not a fail at all. It's a t-shirt to buy. Deliberately to wind up fans.

Taf
01-11-2012, 10:39
With Disney buying Star Wars, Donald Duck will now have four nephews. Huey, Louie, Dewey and Chewie.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

In the new Disney Star Wars the baddies will waddle and talk with a lisp.

They've gone over to the Duck side.

tizmeinnit
01-11-2012, 10:42
With Disney buying Star Wars, Donald Duck will now have four nephews. Huey, Louie, Dewey and Chewie.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

In the new Disney Star Wars the baddies will waddle and talk with a lisp.

They've gone over to the Duck side.

Now you are taking the Mickey

Kymmy
01-11-2012, 10:49
/COLOR]

Luke story hadn't finished, he could go on to train more Jedi.

Han & Leah have kids

Next you'll be suggesting that one of those kids turns out to be a sith and gets killed by the other..

Yep I'm a big fan of the star wars novels (currently reading Mercy Kill) and first thing in my head when I heard the news was which book sequence will they follow? If they went for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion spread over 3 films then they could use the original actors as they'd all be about the right age ;) (not gonna imagine though how many kids would be in tears when one of the main fluffy characters gets killed)

Talking of kids and Star wars I was 8 when the original film came out and I remember sat there in a cinema in South Africa staring at this wonderful universe unfolding.. I think it shaped my film choices over the years and although in the late 90's Ep1 was dreadful and the series was only slightly redeemed by Ep2 it did eventually get back on track with the 3rd film.

I'm looking forward to what they may come up with

Will21st
01-11-2012, 13:28
I'd say this is the best that could've happened to the Star Wars franchise.

Disney knows how to retain character's integrities,they know merchandise,they have experience with franchises and have the financial clout to take SW to the next level.
Having secured the rights to George's outlines for Episodes 7-9 is also very good news.Lucas staying on as a creative consultant means that these news instalments will feel like SW movies.

Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :D

I will also predict right now that 2015 will break all BO records:

Star Wars Episode 7 3D :shocked:
Avengers 2 3D :shocked:

The year the Box Office exploded. :D

tizmeinnit
01-11-2012, 13:34
I'd say this is the best that could've happened to the Star Wars franchise.

Disney knows how to retain character's integrities,they know merchandise,they have experience with franchises and have the financial clout to take SW to the next level.
Having secured the rights to George's outlines for Episodes 7-9 is also very good news.Lucas staying on as a creative consultant means that these news instalments will feel like SW movies.

Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :D

I will also predict right now that 2015 will break all BO records:

Star Wars Episode 7 3D :shocked:
Avengers 2 3D :shocked:

The year the Box Office exploded. :D

way things are going by 2015 it will cost 50% more to sit on them seats meaning records will be easily broken

They measure it all wrong anyway it should be bums on seats not gross take

Will21st
01-11-2012, 13:58
way things are going by 2015 it will cost 50% more to sit on them seats meaning records will be easily broken

They measure it all wrong anyway it should be bums on seats not gross take

well,50% may be a bit steep.... of course Inflation needs to be taken into account.
And no,bums on seats are not usually the measure for success for a very simple reason.Nowadays there are many other forms of entertainment that compete directly with cinemas. There's more choice.Of course more people went to see say Gone with the Wind since there was less choice.Adjusted BO will also be higher due to numerous re-releases and what not.

Will21st
01-11-2012, 18:32
and as if he wasn't a Giant amongst Men already:

http://collider.com/george-lucas-lucasfilm-sale-charity/207790/

what an amazing guy. George,I salute you! :) :clap:

tizmeinnit
01-11-2012, 18:41
well,50% may be a bit steep.... of course Inflation needs to be taken into account.
And no,bums on seats are not usually the measure for success for a very simple reason.Nowadays there are many other forms of entertainment that compete directly with cinemas. There's more choice.Of course more people went to see say Gone with the Wind since there was less choice.Adjusted BO will also be higher due to numerous re-releases and what not.

but look how much Gone with the Wind took? its phenomenal

Will21st
01-11-2012, 18:46
but look how much Gone with the Wind took? its phenomenal

Yes,it's phenomenal after countless re-releases in regular cinemas,1 Dollar cinemas and so on.In a day and age where there were no game consoles,no Home Video,no nothing. When a film came to the cinemas EVERYBODY went. You got to compare like for like.
Sorry,adjusted for inflation Box Office is BS,plain and simple.

Tezcatlipoca
01-11-2012, 19:32
Also being a fan of Avatar,and seeing that as the 21st Century SW,I'm obviously very happy with the fact that there are now 2 great SyFy franchises to look forward to :

Star Wars and Avatar have nothing to do with SyFy ;)

tizmeinnit
01-11-2012, 19:33
Yes,it's phenomenal after countless re-releases in regular cinemas,1 Dollar cinemas and so on.In a day and age where there were no game consoles,no Home Video,no nothing. When a film came to the cinemas EVERYBODY went. You got to compare like for like.
Sorry,adjusted for inflation Box Office is BS,plain and simple.

but your using statistics I can do that to. What about population growth? what about the rise in standard of living? and then there are demi graphs only people of a certain age will watch films like Gone with the Wind

The very fact it still sits 125th in the US all time charts is nothing short of amazing

Will21st
01-11-2012, 19:40

Well,I was under the impression that SyFy was the new way to spell Sci-Fi. ;)

I guess I was wrong! :p:

Kabaal
01-11-2012, 19:42

A reality TV show about Star Wars 'enthusiasts' on the other hand would get snapped up by the supposed SyFy channel though :p:

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Well,I was under the impression that SyFy was the new way to spell Sci-Fi. ;)

I guess I was wrong! :p:

I would say you watch too much TV but if that were the case you'd think SyFy was the new way to spell utter drivel following people nobody cares about doing every day things :p:

Will21st
01-11-2012, 19:43
but your using statistics I can do that to. What about population growth? what about the rise in standard of living? and then there are demi graphs only people of a certain age will watch films like Gone with the Wind.

The very fact it still sits 125th in the US all time charts is nothing short of amazing

Ok,if you feel like using adjusted BO,then knock yourself out. Nobody else in the industry does. Enjoy! :)

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

A reality TV show about Star Wars 'enthusiasts' on the other hand would get snapped up by the supposed SyFy channel though :p:

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

I would say you watch too much TV but if that were the case you'd think SyFy was the new way to spell utter drivel following people nobody cares about doing every day things :p:

Haha,I like it. :)

tizmeinnit
01-11-2012, 19:45
Ok,if you feel like using adjusted BO,then knock yourself out. Nobody else in the industry does. Enjoy! :)

But im not in the industry mate im just some guy posting on a forum not Barry Norman or Dickie Attenborough

Will21st
01-11-2012, 19:51
But im not in the industry mate im just some guy posting on a forum not Barry Norman or Dickie Attenborough

Well, i am in the Industry and most countries in the world count BO take,not bums in seats.FACT.

Your adjusted gross have had countless re-releases.FACT

There were far less alternatives than there are today. FACT

The industry needs a constant stream of new records to hype itself into a frenzy. FACT :p: :D

We can argue all night long,but what is the point? You are not comparing like for like,despite demographics and population growth.

Nobody is saying Gone with the Wind isn't up there with the all time most successful,but goalposts move.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I just realised that now the re-scheduling of the 3D re-releases makes sense in light of these new films. By 2015 Return of the Jedi 3D will have been out of theatres not too long ago and the public is in the mood for Episode 7 3D.

Hugh
08-11-2012, 08:23
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/38.jpg

Maggy
08-11-2012, 11:07
Well, i am in the Industry and most countries in the world count BO take,not bums in seats.FACT.

Your adjusted gross have had countless re-releases.FACT

There were far less alternatives than there are today. FACT

The industry needs a constant stream of new records to hype itself into a frenzy. FACT :p: :D

We can argue all night long,but what is the point? You are not comparing like for like,despite demographics and population growth.

Nobody is saying Gone with the Wind isn't up there with the all time most successful,but goalposts move.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I just realised that now the re-scheduling of the 3D re-releases makes sense in light of these new films. By 2015 Return of the Jedi 3D will have been out of theatres not too long ago and the public is in the mood for Episode 7 3D.

So people like you are to blame for the crap films we get today..The reason why I haven't been to see a single film in the cinema this year and haven't bought a new dvd film at all this year.

Of course the industry is not doing so well..boredom has set in.

I laughed at the idea of Rambo 31 once.I'm not laughing now.I'm just too depressed to spend my hard earned cash on crap from Hollywood anymore.

Pierre
08-11-2012, 11:41
There's always good and bad output from Hollywood and it has been thus since the invention of the motion picture.

Maggy
08-11-2012, 12:36
There's always good and bad output from Hollywood and it has been thus since the invention of the motion picture.

Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.

Stephen
08-11-2012, 13:48
Have to disagree Maggy. There is still a lot of entertaining movies out there. Maybe not to suit you but I've enjoyed a lot of recent releases.

Pierre
08-11-2012, 13:54
Sorry but I disagree.There was a time when there was less dross than there is now.Now it's practically all dross.

The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.

Maggy
08-11-2012, 14:39
The 70's and 80's had more than their fair share of poor films, For every One Flew over the Cuckoo Nest there was anything with Doug McClure in it for a start

Sweeping generalisations such as yours is comparable to complaining that "it was so much better in our day"

I'm afraid looking towards the past with Rose tinted spectacles jsut doesn't wash.

I'm right, you're wrong but then we are both entitled to our viewpoint..:p:

All I know is I went to the cinema far more often in the past than I do now.I also don't buy or rent them anymore.So that tells me something that maybe I'm a bit more discerning than most.Frankly it's practically all remakes of remakes or reboots or just CGI stuffed crap at present.

And the next age related reference gets you a poke in the eye.:PP:

Will21st
08-11-2012, 16:29
So people like you are to blame for the crap films we get today..The reason why I haven't been to see a single film in the cinema this year and haven't bought a new dvd film at all this year.

Of course the industry is not doing so well..boredom has set in.

I laughed at the idea of Rambo 31 once.I'm not laughing now.I'm just too depressed to spend my hard earned cash on crap from Hollywood anymore.
Yes,that's me and me alone! :p:

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( :p: ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....

Maggy
08-11-2012, 16:41
Yes,that's me and me alone! :p:

Sorry,but the way I see you are solely concentrating on the negative.Dare I suggest to you that cinema has never been more exciting than it is today?

We get Digital,high frame rates,3D,2K,4K,Dolby Atmos and so on. Cinema is going through the biggest technological Revolution and you're saying it's stale and boring?
There are more independent films than ever and there's plenty of fresh and original films out there. It sounds to me like you're looking to Hollywood and expecting Indie Films. I think you need to look elsewhere.....

I'll also say this: Wether it's your rose-tinted good old days ( :p: ) or today,this is he Film Business ,first and foremost,not the Film Charity!

Everybody has mortgages and bills to pay and investors want their money back. That's the game,and that has always been the case.Or do you think Gone with the Wind,Rear Window and French Connection were made purely for the Love of Art? I promise you they were not.

To me,right now is the Golden Age of Cinema,never ben a better time to get involved and break into the Industry. Costs have come down to such an extent and distribution models are changing so rapidly,there's more Indie fare than ever,all you have to do is look for it.

Totally agree,there has been awful dross in all ages....

Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.

Damien
08-11-2012, 17:22
Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...

Will21st
08-11-2012, 18:12
Well the film industry have only got themselves to blame.Even Brad Pitt says the days of ridiculous earnings are past..and I too have increasing costs..as have all consumers of the film industry..If they want my money they are going to have to do better.If you are happy with the state of the industry then that's fine for you..But I suspect I'm not on my own in my opinions.

Ok,what Brad Pitt is saying is that the earnings aren't as front-loaded as they used to be. I think that's a good model though. The earning potentials are still vast and I'd suggest they are higher than they once were if you're willing to take very little upfront and have a higher share in the back-end....

Nothing wrong with the risk being shared more equally,I think it's a more sustainable business model than the Star taking $20 million up-front and when the film bombs the blame falls solely on them.

Takes weight off their shoulders,too.

Anyway,if you feel that there aren't any good films out there than that's fine. May I ask how many films you've actually seen in the last few years? Korean Cinema? Scandinavian Cinema? French? Indonesian? Great films from all sorts of countries. :)

I'm sure you're not alone in your opinion,Maggie,but neither am I or anyone who believes cinema is still great. :)

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

snip

Great post and 100% agreed! :clap: :)

Hugh
08-11-2012, 21:16
Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!

Will21st
08-11-2012, 21:25
Anyhoo, back to (slightly) Star Wars related items....

Just bought Angry Birds Star Wars - excellent!

The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? :shocked: :p: I'm no different,love SW. :o:

Paul
09-11-2012, 00:56
In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.

denphone
09-11-2012, 05:11
The mere whiff of new Star Wars movies makes you spend money on SW? :shocked: :p: I'm no different,love SW. :o:

Same here l am afraid but its nice that we all have differing opinions about things.:)

Stuart
09-11-2012, 11:34
Films have only gotten better, as has TV, in my view.

Most of the artistic skills/forms in making a film or a television show are rather new and they are continuing to grow and evolve. Obviously the telling of a story isn't new but how to write a screenplay, how to shoot it, how to act and direct it, and how to accompany it with a musical score are all less than a 100 years old at most. I have seen a number of 'classic' Hollywood films and they don't strike me as much better than some more modern films. They are good and no doubt hugely influential but their legacies were then further built on by more modern day film makers.

The main change seems to be an increasing amount of sequels and franchises as a result of films become more commercially driven but this isn't new nor bad. The studios need the income and they do help finance the risk studios take in more niche films. Franchises aren't new either and exist in other mediums. How many times has Shakespeare, Jane Austin or Sherlock Holmes been 'rebooted'. There never seems to be a year in which a theatre company isn't doing another version of a Shakespeare play or when ITV/BBC has get another poxy adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. We're never to far from a Dicken's TV movie either...

In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.

You are right. Hollywod does actually use the money from the blockbusters and other more mainstream films to finance smaller, more risky films. This is the way that (AFAIK) Hollywood has always operated, and, IMO, the way our film industry should be operating. Without the big Disney cartons, we would not have had (for instance) any Quentin Tarentino film.

I think the problem is with Multiplexes. While they can be amazing places to watch films, there have been times when I have had to wait for a smaller, indie film that I've wanted to see to come to DVD or Blu Ray because all my local multiplexes have dedicated half their screens to 24 hour showings of the latest Harry Potter or Twilight film and my local indie cinema is devoting increasing amounts of time to showing mainstream films.

Not that I have any objection to mainstream cinema. Far from it. I love the big blockbusters, but I'd like a little more freedom to go and see something that doesn't have a budget in the tens or hundreds of millions.

Talking of films that have budgets in the hundreds of millions.. It will certainly be interesting to see the new SW movies. I might even bother to go and see the remaining 3d conversions now (never got round to Phantom Menace 3D).

Tezcatlipoca
09-11-2012, 14:51
In your opinion maybe, Ive watched a ton of excellent films this year, and last year.

Yup.

This year I've seen The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Raid, DREDD, The Cabin in the Woods, Skyfall... Later this year I'll be seeing The Hobbit...I wouldn't class any of those as "dross" or "crap".

Chris
09-11-2012, 16:29
In fairness, Shakespeare never wrote Romeo and Juliet II, or Hamlet II, or an entire trilogy of King Lear.

No. He'd already done the whole trilogy thing with Henry VI. Then he added a 4th instalment (Richard III). And then followed up Henry IV with Henry IV part ii.

Apart from that, no, William Shakespeare really didn't go in for sequels. :D

Stuart
09-11-2012, 16:37
Good point. Thankfully I can hide behind the fact I have never studied Shakespeare.

Maggy
09-11-2012, 20:20
Yup.

This year I've seen The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Raid, DREDD, The Cabin in the Woods, Skyfall... Later this year I'll be seeing The Hobbit...I wouldn't class any of those as "dross" or "crap".

Sorry Matt but apart from Skyfall none of those appeal to me..They are fine for you because that's where your interests lie but not for me.

I apologies for not liking what everybody else likes..But at least I can save my money.

Did anyone like Tinker,Tailor,Spy BTW?

Will21st
21-11-2012, 03:54
Great news:

Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have signed as producers/writers for Episodes 8 and 9. Great choices!

http://collider.com/star-wars-8-9-lawrence-kasdan-simon-kinberg/212711/

Kasdan co-wrote Episode 5/6 and also wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kinberg is a British Writer who penned X-men:Last Stand,Jumper and Sherlock Holmes. Combining his and Kasdan's sensibilities should make for a great mix. :)

Seems to me Disney,Lucas,Kennedy et al. are making all the right choices. Can't wait for this! :nworthy:

denphone
19-12-2012, 18:28
Star Wars Episode VII – is Yavin 4 storyline fact or fiction?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/dec/19/star-wars-vii-yavin-4-storyline

Is there any truth to this?.

Chris
19-12-2012, 19:33
Unlikely.

I can't see Disney having its thunder stolen by allowing its production team to wholesale borrow plotlines from the original Starwars universe novels that followed the film series. They're going to want to have something original to surprise people with.

denphone
19-12-2012, 19:48
Yes it will be very interesting when they do reveal everything to us.:hyper:

Will21st
19-12-2012, 21:03
Unlikely.

I can't see Disney having its thunder stolen by allowing its production team to wholesale borrow plotlines from the original Starwars universe novels that followed the film series. They're going to want to have something original to surprise people with.

Yup,I can't see them using plots from the novels.... it needs to be something original.

denphone
25-01-2013, 12:16
Abrams to helm Star Wars?

http://skymovies.sky.com/abrams-to-helm-star-wars

Would be a excellent choice.

Tezcatlipoca
25-01-2013, 13:42
"That's no moon, it's lens flare..."

Damien
25-01-2013, 13:45
I've heard the reboot will focus a lot more on action aboard the Enterprise rather than the planets or the death star.

Hugh
25-01-2013, 14:19
Apparently there will be cross-over - James T. Kirk will transfer to the Mirror Universe and become Tiberius Windu.

cimt
25-01-2013, 14:40
I remember years ago I saw something that showed all of the similarities between both shows. I can't find it any more. Dammit.

He is a good choice. I think he actually grew up as a fan of Star Wars. I think I remember that annoying Trekkies when he was picked for Star Trek.

denphone
05-02-2013, 17:52
Yoda not far, soon you will be with him – when his own Star Wars movie he has.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/feb/05/yoda-own-star-wars-movie

An iconic figure he is, beloved of generations of children and adults alike. Now Yoda is rumoured to be getting his own spinoff movie as part of Disney's new series of Star Wars films.

News of the diminutive Jedi master's elevation from supporting character status comes courtesy of the US blog Ain't It Cool News, and follows the announcement of a new trilogy of Star Wars films after Disney purchased all rights to the series for $4.05bn last October.

Very interesting indeed.

Mr_love_monkey
05-02-2013, 18:04
Yoda not far, soon you will be with him – when his own Star Wars movie he has.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/feb/05/yoda-own-star-wars-movie

Very interesting indeed.

I hope it's one from his college days where you see all the hi-jinx him and his frat buddies get up to in the hopes of gettin' some.

denphone
06-02-2013, 09:49
Stand Alone Star Wars Films Confirmed By Disney this morning.

http://skymovies.sky.com/stand-alone-star-wars-films-confirmed-by-disney

LondonRoad
06-02-2013, 13:25
I hope it's one from his college days where you see all the hi-jinx him and his frat buddies get up to in the hopes of gettin' some.

It's already been done. It was on Television X last week. ;)

denphone
06-02-2013, 14:07
It's already been done. It was on Television X last week. ;)

Now now this is a family forum.:nono::naughty:

denphone
07-02-2013, 10:52
Star Wars spin-offs to include Han Solo and Boba Fett movies

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/star-wars-spin-offs-to-include-han-solo-and-boba-fett-movies

http://skymovies.sky.com/disney-planning-han-solo-origin-story

denphone
15-02-2013, 18:32
Is Harrison Ford Back For 'Star Wars'?

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni47108454/

Hom3r
15-02-2013, 20:52
I had a wookie burger last night, it was a bit Chewie :D

denphone
16-02-2013, 05:05
I had a wookie burger last night, it was a bit Chewie :D

Was it 8 foot tall and 3 foot wide.:D

denphone
20-02-2013, 18:03
Mark Hamill gives an update on Star Wars: Episode VII.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/mark-hamill-gives-an-update-on-star-wars-episode-vii

Kymmy
21-02-2013, 09:25
Is Harrison Ford Back For 'Star Wars'?

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni47108454/

No reason why not, some of the later books are timelined at 45 years after episode 4. As I said in a previous post you could bring back most of the cast and they would fit in perfectly to the later novels..

Will21st
25-02-2013, 21:11
There are ongoing talks with Hamill,Ford and Fisher but nothing concrete yet.The films have been confirmed 3D and Alfonso Cuaron is tipped to direct Episode 8 and maybe 9.

I would also not pay too much attention to the rumoured 'young Han Solo,Boba Fett and so on 'movies.....

Will21st
26-02-2013, 07:46
There's also talk of two trilogies,at least at some point.

denphone
06-03-2013, 12:49
Carrie Fisher Confirms Her Star Wars Return.

http://skymovies.sky.com/carrie-fisher-confirms-her-star-wars-return

Will21st
06-03-2013, 14:44
Carrie Fisher Confirms Her Star Wars Return.

http://skymovies.sky.com/carrie-fisher-confirms-her-star-wars-return

I actually think it's wonderful that the old gang are coming together t6o pass the torch. I've said this from Day 1,and I still don't see Disney doing anything wrong so far.This is gonna be great,imo.

Tezcatlipoca
06-03-2013, 19:46
Here's hoping they also sign up Ford and Hamill.

denphone
06-03-2013, 19:48
Here's hoping they also sign up Ford and Hamill.

l think there is a very strong chance of that Matt.

Will21st
07-03-2013, 16:38
l think there is a very strong chance of that Matt.

Lucas today confirmed that all three re more or less signed up or just about to do so.
One has to bear in mind that there is a lot of deception going on in this whole project. These movies have been in planning for at least 18 months,if not more...
it is only now that we are hearing about all this. Lucas Film have a history of lying anyway.They will deny something that everybody knows is coming and then one day just admit. the script has been worked on for quite a while,I'm also pretty certain that pre-production is well under-way.

Can't wait.

RB2004
07-03-2013, 17:27
Dunno how princess Will work, lol I think it will ruin it for the Star Wars fans lol

denphone
07-03-2013, 18:03
Lucas today confirmed that all three re more or less signed up or just about to do so.
One has to bear in mind that there is a lot of deception going on in this whole project. These movies have been in planning for at least 18 months,if not more...
it is only now that we are hearing about all this. Lucas Film have a history of lying anyway.They will deny something that everybody knows is coming and then one day just admit. the script has been worked on for quite a while,I'm also pretty certain that pre-production is well under-way.

Can't wait.

Brilliant news Will.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni48528573/

Chad
08-03-2013, 22:10
The original cast are getting pretty old. I'd find it very hard to get past that everytime one of them was on screen.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2013/03/74.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2013/03/75.jpg

Harris Ford I could just about accept but not Mark Hamill. Maybe if Luke was dead and only in the movie as a Jedi ghost I could accept this. They could use Hamill for the voice and movement capture but the actual ghost would be a CGI version of Skywalker from around Return of The Jedi.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2013/03/76.jpg

In fact if his family don't object I'd be happy with a brief ghostly visit from Alec Guiness too!

Kymmy
10-03-2013, 12:25
Read the books

Luke is now old and fairly looking his age.. The Solo's had 3 kids (though two are now dead), chewie died a good 15 years ago. Luke now has a child who is 18+

So please don't get fixated on character looks from a timeline that is now 40+ years old :D

Will21st
14-03-2013, 14:43
Good article on how the whole Disney/LucasFilm Deal came together.....

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-07/how-disney-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars#p1

I hope they pull off the Live Action show,it's been planned for a few years now,but making a Tv show to Star Wars standard is almost prohibitively expensive. If they can bring the cost down further I'm sure the Sky Broadcasters of the World will be more than willing to pay a quid or two for it.

Also good to hear that Bob Iger is aware that Disney shouldn't over-commercialise the brand.Not having a new SW movie every other year is one of the brands strengths,and is also the reason why I am just a tad sceptical about the proposed spin-off films.... a SW glut could damage the brand.

In Disney we trust! ;)

Stuart
14-03-2013, 14:57
Also good to hear that Bob Iger is aware that Disney shouldn't over-commercialise the brand.Not having a new SW movie every other year is one of the brands strengths,and is also the reason why I am just a tad sceptical about the proposed spin-off films.... a SW glut could damage the brand.

In Disney we trust! ;)

The same Disney that re-releases it's back catalogue on every new distribution format? The same Disney that then repeats those re-releases every few years? The same Disney that has licenced the likeness and names of it's characters to every kind of product from dolls, through lunchboxes, to theme parks?

Yep. They aren't going to overcommercialize Star Wars.

Will21st
14-03-2013, 15:41
The same Disney that re-releases it's back catalogue on every new distribution format? The same Disney that then repeats those re-releases every few years? The same Disney that has licenced the likeness and names of it's characters to every kind of product from dolls, through lunchboxes, to theme parks?

Yep. They aren't going to overcommercialize Star Wars.

Eh? You mean just like any other Studio that releases it's films on every new distribution format?
You mean just like any other studio that repeats re-releases every few years?
You mean just like Lucas has licensed the Star Wars figures to all sorts of products?

All that is normal and expected,and indeed drives revenue.

What I'm talking about is the amount of films they produce,and which could cheapen the brand by having too many of them,a point which unfortunately went over your head.

By the way,your point about re-releases is wrong since Disney have always managed to keep their classics under lock and key and doing limited releases only,especially on VHS and DVD. Some films were hugely sought after on DVD,and Disney knew how to hold back on releases until the ideal moment had come.

So yes,Disney won't necessarily cheapen the brand...

Stuart
14-03-2013, 23:06
What I'm talking about is the amount of films they produce,and which could cheapen the brand by having too many of them,a point which unfortunately went over your head.

By the way,your point about re-releases is wrong since Disney have always managed to keep their classics under lock and key and doing limited releases only,especially on VHS and DVD. Some films were hugely sought after on DVD,and Disney knew how to hold back on releases until the ideal moment had come.

So yes,Disney won't necessarily cheapen the brand...

You believe Disney won't make unnecessary films to cash in on Star Wars? Look up how many of their classics have two or three direct to video or DVD sequels. You'll find it's quite a few.

As for the limited releases, that is good business sense. They re-release the classics every 7-10 years (which ensures a good number of kids are available to enjoy the re-release) and limit the releases, which ensures demand.

I am not saying that companies cashing in on films is a bad thing (something which appears to have gone over your head), just that I don't believe for a second they won't cash in.

tizmeinnit
14-03-2013, 23:19
Star Wars ruined Fisher's life and Hamill did very little after. I would say specially in Fisher's case the fee would have to be huge

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

I think Chloë Grace Moretz would make a wicked young Jedi student

Will21st
15-03-2013, 12:59
You believe Disney won't make unnecessary films to cash in on Star Wars? Look up how many of their classics have two or three direct to video or DVD sequels. You'll find it's quite a few.

Apples and Oranges.Aladdin,Lion King and Co. are not Franchises with their own Universe.These are single Films that were extended to raise additional revenue. Once the budget/return ratio is negative you simply seize to produce further sequels and no harm done. SW is it's own Universe and intended to produce a steady stream of revenue through Brand recognition,and grossly inflating the amount of films could hurt the brand. Iger understands this and that is a good thing. I hope this clears it up for you.

As for the limited releases, that is good business sense. They re-release the classics every 7-10 years (which ensures a good number of kids are available to enjoy the re-release) and limit the releases, which ensures demand.
Indeed,that amongst other reasons is why Disney was the right choice,they mastered the Art of Revenue Optimisation.

I am not saying that companies cashing in on films is a bad thing (something which appears to have gone over your head), just that I don't believe for a second they won't cash in.

Nothing is going over my head as I never said they won't cash in and I never believed that you believe it to be a bad thing.Of course they will cash in and so they should after investing $4 billion.What Iger is saying and I totally agree with is that they can not over inflate the amount of films they produce as not to damage the brand,that is all. I never said anything about toys,crisp packets and the Sith-Cheeseburger.

Why you're even arguing with me over this is indeed going over my head. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Star Wars ruined Fisher's life and Hamill did very little after. I would say specially in Fisher's case the fee would have to be huge[COLOR="Silver"]

No,it didn't. In fact Carrie Fisher has been very successful in the film business,just not as an actress.
I agree on Hamill,although he also hasn't been doing too badly with voice-over work and other bits and pieces.

denphone
20-03-2013, 09:21
Harrison Ford (Almost) Confirms Star Wars Return.

http://skymovies.sky.com/harrison-ford-almost-confirms-star-wars-return

So the old scoundrel returns to the fold.

Will21st
21-03-2013, 11:19
Harrison Ford (Almost) Confirms Star Wars Return.

http://skymovies.sky.com/harrison-ford-almost-confirms-star-wars-return

So the old scoundrel returns to the fold.

Yeah,I think there only ever was a slim chance of the old guard not returning.I think it's great and can't wait for these Films. :)

denphone
17-04-2013, 14:15
The Best Star Wars Episode VII Fan Art, Posters & Trailers.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/the-best-star-wars-episode-vii-fan-art-posters-trailers/the-dark-star-wars-knight

Nice.

alferret
17-04-2013, 18:41
Read the books

Luke is now old and fairly looking his age.. The Solo's had 3 kids (though two are now dead), chewie died a good 15 years ago. Luke now has a child who is 18+

So please don't get fixated on character looks from a timeline that is now 40+ years old :D

The timeline is huge, spans 3997 years before A New Hope to 40+ years after. I do have a spreadsheet that I made of the timeline, hasn't been updated for 4 years but it's pretty comprehensive and only covers books, films, audio but not comics. I'll dig it out and post it if anyone is interested.

denphone
18-04-2013, 14:35
New Star Wars trilogy to arrive in 2015, 2017 and 2019.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/apr/18/star-wars-episode-vii-trilogy-2015

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

denphone
01-05-2013, 10:46
Star Wars Composer John Williams To Return For Episode VII?

http://skymovies.sky.com/star-wars-composer-john-williams-to-return-for-episode-vii

denphone
02-05-2013, 14:52
JJ Abrams: Star Wars a 'once in a lifetime opportunity'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22364373

Lets hope he does not mess it up though.

Will21st
11-05-2013, 02:32
Kathleen Kennedy announces that Star Wars Episode 7 will be produced and shot in the UK. :)

http://starwars.com/news/star_wars_feature_film_production_returns_to_the_u k.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322676/New-Star-Wars-Episode-7-movie-UK-George-Osborne-used-tax-breaks-lure-Disney.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

denphone
11-05-2013, 05:23
Kathleen Kennedy announces that Star Wars Episode 7 will be produced and shot in the UK. :)

http://starwars.com/news/star_wars_feature_film_production_returns_to_the_u k.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322676/New-Star-Wars-Episode-7-movie-UK-George-Osborne-used-tax-breaks-lure-Disney.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Excellent news and another great boost for this country.:)

Chris
11-05-2013, 10:01
Of course it's being made here, every self-respecting cantina in the galaxy has to get its crockery from Elstree market. :D

Will21st
12-05-2013, 21:12
Of course it's being made here, every self-respecting cantina in the galaxy has to get its crockery from Elstree market. :D

haha :D

ThunderPants73
25-05-2013, 19:10
Hope it's better than the godawful I-III

Chad
18-07-2013, 01:16
Hitler is getting himself in a right state over the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-5Kt43uNQ

Chad
09-09-2013, 18:40
2 new rumors out about Star Wars.

1. It has an unconfirmed working title of Star Wars: A New Dawn
2. Han Solo’s famed craft the Millennium Falcon and the Mos Eisley Cantina will be sets used in Episode VII, with the pair of them already under construction.

Oh and RD-D2 was spotted in the latest Star Trek movie!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/01/53.jpg

denphone
07-01-2014, 13:55
Lawrence Kasdan Writing Boba Fett Movie?.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=39730

tweetiepooh
07-01-2014, 16:59

He did write Merry Wives of Windsor because the queen wanted to see more of Falstaff.

tizmeinnit
07-01-2014, 17:09
2 new rumors out about Star Wars.

1. It has an unconfirmed working title of Star Wars: A New Dawn
2. Han Solo’s famed craft the Millennium Falcon and the Mos Eisley Cantina will be sets used in Episode VII, with the pair of them already under construction.

Oh and RD-D2 was spotted in the latest Star Trek movie!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/01/53.jpg

what is RD D2 ? the Hitler vid did it also ;)

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Lawrence Kasdan Writing Boba Fett Movie?.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=39730

Shame we know Boba's origin story as he was a clone who saw his"father" Jango beheaded by Mace Windu would be interesting to see him hunting though could do anything with that

Chad
07-01-2014, 20:12
what is RD D2 ? the Hitler vid did it also ;)

I knocked the Hitler video together one night after one too many beers :D I totally forgot all about it.

denphone
13-01-2014, 12:52
Star Wars Episode VII to centre on Luke, Leia and Han.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/13/star-wars-episode-vii-luke-leia-han-jj-abrams?CMP=twt_gu

The new Star Wars film has been retooled to centre on the iconic characters of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Nevertheless, those casting rumours keep coming. Heat Vision says Michael Fassbender, Hugo Weaving and Girls star Adam Driver are the latest names to be linked to Episode VII, which is due out next year. Details of the role intended for Weaving are the only ones to have emerged: he will reportedly play an Imperial Commander.

That leak alone, if confirmed, would appear to drop a heavy hint as to the direction of the new trilogy. The presence of Imperial top brass suggests the evil organisation from the classic 1977-1983 trilogy may not have been entirely obliterated with the destruction of the second Death Star, Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine at the end of 1983's Return of the Jedi.

alferret
16-01-2014, 08:35
Hitler is getting himself in a right state over the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-5Kt43uNQ
Lol funny!

denphone
27-02-2014, 15:07
‘Star Wars’: Adam Driver to Play the Villain (Exclusive).

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56857432/

The anticipation is building.:hyper:

denphone
18-03-2014, 20:02
Star Wars Episode VII character, plot and shooting details revealed.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-casting-plot-and-shooting-details-revealed

Chad
18-03-2014, 20:06
Nice work Den. Keep the news and info coming.

denphone
18-03-2014, 20:12
Nice work Den. Keep the news and info coming.

Is that James in your avatar dear chap?.:)

admars
27-04-2014, 11:30
Lucasfilm decrees the Star Wars expanded universe as non-canon

Includes every book, video game, and comic to bear the name.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-25-lucasfilm-decrees-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-as-non-canon

I guess that gives them flexability

alferret
28-04-2014, 06:11
Lucasfilm decrees the Star Wars expanded universe as non-canon

Includes every book, video game, and comic to bear the name.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-25-lucasfilm-decrees-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-as-non-canon

Really looking forward to see how star wars (filmography) is going to go forward. I have well over 150 books from the expanded universe as well as some first issue comics and a few bits of memorabilia from the 70's to say I'm more excited about the coming films over ep I-III is an understatement, I only hope they don't screw it up cause it'll leave a lot of people crying into their Gamorian ale.

denphone
28-04-2014, 06:49
Really looking forward to see how star wars (filmography) is going to go forward. I have well over 150 books from the expanded universe as well as some first issue comics and a few bits of memorabilia from the 70's to say I'm more excited about the coming films over ep I-III is an understatement, I only hope they don't screw it up cause it'll leave a lot of people crying into their Gamorian ale.

Indeed as you say Alf one can only hope that Disney know exactly what they are doing because we don't want the disaster of TPM again.

denphone
29-04-2014, 18:08
Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Announced.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Lets hope it lives up to expectations.

Tezcatlipoca
29-04-2014, 19:10

I'd prefer it if the Thrawn books and KOTOR were canon and the Prequel Trilogy was wiped from existence.

Maggy
29-04-2014, 20:10
Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Announced.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

Lets hope it lives up to expectations.
NOW they do the follow up when the original cast are at pensionable age.I suppose they needed to do it before any of them die..:rolleyes:

Stephen
29-04-2014, 22:59
Going by the original cast being back and the arrangement in the photo not being an accident, Daisy is between Han and Leia. So one would presume she will play their daughter? Those to the left of Luke will be Jedi in training?

Wonder if we'll get some other big news on Star Wars Day[May the 4th] :)

Derek
30-04-2014, 09:53
I'd prefer it if the Thrawn books and KOTOR were canon and the Prequel Trilogy was wiped from existence.

I would be happy if EP7 was just two hours solid of Jar Jar Binks being tortured to death.

Stuart
30-04-2014, 10:05

As I said on Digital Spy, I think it's more a thing of convenience. Same as the BBC saying that only the Doctor Who TV series is canon and everything else Doctor Who isn't. It just ensures that the writers only need to check continuity with the main series (or films) and not have to read or listen to the hundreds of books and thousands of stories written by other people.

Pierre
30-04-2014, 11:05
As I said on Digital Spy, I think it's more a thing of convenience. Same as the BBC saying that only the Doctor Who TV series is canon and everything else Doctor Who isn't. It just ensures that the writers only need to check continuity with the main series (or films) and not have to read or listen to the hundreds of books and thousands of stories written by other people.

The Paul McGann film is Cannon.

Sorry, just being a pedant.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

According to Total Film, Ford will have a major part to play in this. I was thought at first the returning characters would be just expanded cameos.

But it looks like Han may be a major part in the new film

Stuart
30-04-2014, 20:49
The Paul McGann film is Cannon.

Sorry, just being a pedant.

Not really pedantic. I believe that is considered part of the series.

denphone
02-06-2014, 19:20
Star Wars: Episode VII Adds Academy Award Winner Lupita Nyong'o and Game of Thrones' Gwendoline Christie.

http://starwars.com/star-wars-episode-vii-adds-academy-award-winner-lupita-nyongo-and-game-of-thrones-gwendoline-christie.html

denphone
13-06-2014, 09:14
Harrison Ford 'breaks ankle' on Star Wars film set at Pinewood studios.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27825562

Chad
13-06-2014, 09:46
Harrison Ford 'breaks ankle' on Star Wars film set at Pinewood studios.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27825562

I prefer the more sensational headline in the Daily Mirror:

"Harrison Ford crushed on Star Wars set"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/harrison-ford-crushed-star-wars-3682600

denphone
13-06-2014, 09:59
I prefer the more sensational headline in the Daily Mirror:

"Harrison Ford crushed on Star Wars set"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/harrison-ford-crushed-star-wars-3682600

Yes l did look at that one but soon decided to go with another media outlet.

Tezcatlipoca
17-08-2014, 15:44
If this is true, it excites me far more than Episode VII...

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/exclusive-original-unaltered-cut-of-star-wars-trilogy-to-be-rele/

denphone
17-08-2014, 15:57
Yes that would certainly be nice.

Chad
17-08-2014, 17:22
A collection of new "allegedly" leaked snaps:

New Storm Trooper helmet:

http://theculturednerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/stormtrooper-helmet-2-2.jpg

Han Solo outfit:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/08/22.jpg

Han Solo outfit 2:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/08/23.jpg

Chad
19-08-2014, 21:53
SPOILER ALERT:

Here's footage of the new X-Wing fighter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWBGrkc360M

Also plenty of rumours today on line that Darth Vader will feature in Episode VII through a series of flashbacks showing him grooming the main Sith in the new movie.

Russ
05-10-2014, 05:49
Possibly spoiler....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-7-spoilers-leaked-4378043

denphone
07-11-2014, 08:55
Star Wars 7 has a title: it's The Force Awakens.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/06/star-wars-7-has-a-title-its-the-force-awakens

Stephen
07-11-2014, 20:21
Some people don't seem to like the title but I think its very fitting and clearly points to the fact that the Force is becoming strong once again.

The official site http://www.starwars.com/films/star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens

Stephen
28-11-2014, 15:20
Trailer!!!!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/

Chris
28-11-2014, 16:04
I have just soiled myself.

Stephen
28-11-2014, 16:12
I have now watched many times.

Looks brilliant and very true to the original trilogy style.

Those low flying x-wings and the falcon taking on tie fighters in the deserts. Amazing.

Chris
28-11-2014, 16:24
That lightsabre looked amazing.

denphone
28-11-2014, 17:02
Please can l have some more Sir.:Yes::Yes::cleader::cleader:

heero_yuy
29-11-2014, 11:09
Apparently they managed to round up the lenses that were used on the originals for this one to try and get the same feel.

alferret
30-11-2014, 09:26
I will be booking my tickets as soon as they go on sale, seen every film on opening day.
Just off to change underwear, I dribbled slightly!

Paul
30-11-2014, 18:23
Youtube link for those who do not have quicktime installed;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Hom3r
30-11-2014, 20:55
My Brother In-law ain't bothered, but I will take my nephew who loves Star Wars nearly as much as me :D

alferret
01-12-2014, 18:59
My Brother In-law ain't bothered, but I will take my nephew who loves Star Wars nearly as much as me :D
I'll be taking my son :)

denphone
01-12-2014, 19:29
My partner and l will certainly be going.:hyper:

Russ
04-12-2014, 17:08
Spoilers have appeared online - this time from a very reputable source, someone who has got this sort of thing right in the past.

Just in case anyone missed that, warning - plot spoilers... http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-spoilers-leaked-episode-4748644

denphone
12-12-2014, 15:56
Star Wars character names revealed in trading cards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30445082

alferret
14-12-2014, 08:12
Spoilers have appeared online - this time from a very reputable source, someone who has got this sort of thing right in the past.

Just in case anyone missed that, warning - plot spoilers... http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-spoilers-leaked-episode-4748644

Seems like Disney are not true to the lore of the star wars universe. It's OK for them to take the franchise and run with it (after all they paid for the privilege) but making it in accordance to their own timeline with far too many inconsistencies to what has already been written may turn some hardcore fans off.
There is a timeline that is well documented and they could have made a film that fits well within that. Obviously the script writers skimmed some of the books and didn't learn anything much from the bits they did read.

cimt
14-12-2014, 09:03
These films are only taking the other films as canon. The EU isn't considered canon now I believe.

Stephen
14-12-2014, 09:52
Reading those possible spoilers they have stuck to the lore from the movies. Anything outside them was confirmed as being not cannon.

Also I am sure the story outline was actually created by Lucas or he had some in put in it.

Russ
14-12-2014, 10:04
Seems like Disney are not true to the lore of the star wars universe. It's OK for them to take the franchise and run with it (after all they paid for the privilege) but making it in accordance to their own timeline with far too many inconsistencies to what has already been written may turn some hardcore fans off.
There is a timeline that is well documented and they could have made a film that fits well within that. Obviously the script writers skimmed some of the books and didn't learn anything much from the bits they did read.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a number of time-lines were written due to there being no real 'official' one as the story wasn't expected to go past Return of the Jedi - is that not the case?

Chris
14-12-2014, 19:04
I'm sure I read somewhere that a number of time-lines were written due to there being no real 'official' one as the story wasn't expected to go past Return of the Jedi - is that not the case?

There are different levels of canon in the Star Wars universe, with a fairly well understood order of precedence. I believe the uber-canon is "G" canon, which is anything established personally by Lucas himself.

The problem with respecting extended media as canon is that the standard of storytelling in any shared universe environment can be so variable. Put simply, why should Disney, which needs to make a decent return on their massive investment by making a film a lot of people will actually want to see, respect each and every piece of back-story written into every original Star Wars novel for the last 30 years? Even if all of it was first rate (and it isn't), the risk coule be the creation of a hopelessly complex story that wouldn't appeal to a mass audience.

Pierre
14-12-2014, 20:43
I'm pretty certain that I read/ heard that Lucas had outlined his story over nine parts.

alferret
14-12-2014, 20:53
Understand what your saying about timeline and too many tangents to fit GL's original outline but there is one timeline that I would have like to have seen touched upon in the new films.

Obviously it won't stop me from watching and enjoying it, just would have been nice :)

admars
03-02-2015, 21:25
OMG, is it too early to start queueing?

https://starwars.madametussauds.com/london/en/

Madame Tussauds London today announced a new multi-million pound Star Wars experience in collaboration with Disney and Lucasfilm, and revealed the first wax figure from one of 11 immersive walk-in sets to be featured.

https://vimeo.com/118521454

Hom3r
03-02-2015, 21:41
OMG, is it too early to start queueing?

https://starwars.madametussauds.com/london/en/

https://vimeo.com/118521454

OI get to the back of the queue :D

denphone
12-03-2015, 17:49
Rogue One the first Star Wars stand-alone movie coming to the cinema in December 2016.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-is-the-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film-rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-viii

Russ
16-04-2015, 19:23
GIGGIDY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Kabaal
16-04-2015, 19:28
GIGGIDY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=108&v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

I might be missing something but that doesn't seem to give a trailer.

Been waiting for it as the live show was annoying with the audience cheering after every second word :dozey:

Edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCc2v7izk8w

Bulky
16-04-2015, 19:28
GIGGIDY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=108&v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Super excited for this !!!

denphone
16-04-2015, 19:44

Hugh
16-04-2015, 20:06
GIGGIDY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6RhsSqueeeeee!

Stephen
16-04-2015, 20:30
Best. Trailer. Ever!!

I really can't wait now. In J.J I trust.

It really feels like 4-6.

Kymmy
17-04-2015, 10:22
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32346867/star-wars-plane-being-launched-by-all-nippon-airways-later-this-year

They could have at least done it as a large Xwing!!

Stephen
17-04-2015, 12:41
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32346867/star-wars-plane-being-launched-by-all-nippon-airways-later-this-year

They could have at least done it as a large Xwing!!
That would have been awesome :)

Stephen
11-07-2015, 16:15
Amazing behind the scenes clip shown at Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAsjdX2_ePA

admars
07-08-2015, 21:02
must keep credit card in wallet...

hmv announce limited edition Star Wars Steelbooks

hmv will be stocking a series of limited edition Blu-ray Steelbooks of the first six Star Wars movies.

For the first time ever each of the six movies will be released individually as separate stunning Blu-ray Steelbooks, all of which will be released on November 9th this year.

Each of the Steelbooks comes with a raft of special features and exclusive behind the scenes featurettes. They are available to pre-order from today (August 7th) and are available to purchase online only.

You can take a look at each of the Steelbooks below...

All six are available to pre-order here

19.99 each.

denphone
28-08-2015, 08:06
There has been a awakening....

https://instagram.com/p/65PhxOs_RH/

Russ
15-09-2015, 07:14
:shocked::shocked::shocked::woot::omg:

Stephen
15-09-2015, 07:48
Wow. Looks just like Obi Wan.

denphone
15-09-2015, 08:19
Yes wow springs to mind as he does look very impressive in that picture.:hyper:

admars
18-10-2015, 21:47
tickets go on sale tomorrow from 8:00 am ready for first screenings 00:01 Thursday 17th Dec, I've already got 17th booked off work :)

http://theforceawakens.co.uk/

I went to midnight screenings for Ep1 and 2, but a more sensable 10:00 am for ep 3. I think I'll go for a sensable time of day this time round as well :)

admars
19-10-2015, 08:38
arghh I thought the £35 for 2 of us to go to the cinema was bad enough but endless time outs after cc screen are driving me crazy :(

Derek
20-10-2015, 06:31
The final trailer is here. And it's fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE#action=share

Still no Luke?

denphone
20-10-2015, 08:21
Wow its fandabbydozy.:hyper::hyper:

Paul
20-10-2015, 13:43
Booked my ticket yesterday evening. :D

denphone
20-10-2015, 14:16
So you obviously did not have a problem with some ticketing sites crashing then.:)

heero_yuy
20-10-2015, 17:17
Still no Luke?

Subverted by the dark side he has been?

(Black masked character in trailer)

Anonymouse
23-10-2015, 15:48
The whole Star Wars "look" is definitely there, and they've kept Ben Burtt's superbly original sound effects. It looks very promising...I just hope there's as much attention paid to the plot and the characters, both of which are far more important.

Especially after all these years!

denphone
06-11-2015, 14:29
New Asia trailer reveals more....

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-06/theres-loads-of-previously-unseen-footage-in-this-new-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer

Chris
06-11-2015, 16:06
It's very JJ Abrams, scattering clues all over the interwebs like that.

denphone
08-11-2015, 15:53
It's very JJ Abrams, scattering clues all over the interwebs like that.

And here is a little bit more...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-08/even-more-brand-new-star-wars-footage-teases-homages-and-plot-details

Hom3r
08-11-2015, 22:53
Avoiding all trailers like Justen Bieber concerts.

adzii_nufc
09-11-2015, 12:44
Subverted by the dark side he has been?

(Black masked character in trailer)

1:40 touching R2-D2, Has to be him, robotic right hand and all.

Stephen
13-11-2015, 10:31
TV spots have started to appear. Three so far. All great without giving anything at all away.

Three has a great moment with Han and Rey :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJYpdpa-z6I

Tezcatlipoca
15-12-2015, 22:28
Google Lightsaber Escape.

Just go to https://lightsaber.withgoogle.com/ using desktop Chrome to use your smartphone as a Lightsaber.

Russ
16-12-2015, 05:24
:shocked:

Sir......I am in your debt forever...

denphone
16-12-2015, 12:55
Star Wars: The Force Awakens gets rave reviews from critics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35109900

Hugh
17-12-2015, 13:51
Very, very good - just seen it in 3D IMAX.

Very enjoyable, with shout outs to episodes 4,5, & 6, and some well-placed humour.

admars
17-12-2015, 15:33
Hugh - that's exactly what the missus and I thought.

funny though, other ppl are moaning about it "borrowing" too much from ep IV, they'd be the same ppl that moaned that 1-3 strayed from iv too much ;)

you can't please all the ppl all the time.

Tezcatlipoca
17-12-2015, 17:29
I don't think it borrowed too much. I loved the nods to the originals.

I came out of the cinema wanting to go back in and see it again. Loved it.

admars
17-12-2015, 20:52
The Force Awakens: What Happens After Return of the Jedi

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/12/14/the-force-awakens-what-happens-after-return-of-the-jedi

interesting watching after you've seen ep 7, as does have soem clips from new film in it.

Stephen
17-12-2015, 21:30
Really awesome. It had just enough from the OT for me. Great acting and great humour. Awesome action scenes.

I think some people are saying they feel its a copy of A New Hopes plot essentially. CAn't say I noticed or was bothered. AFter al ANH is just amazing.

Its the film we shoud of had in 1999.

Tezcatlipoca
17-12-2015, 22:06
Why 1999? :confused:

This is the first Star Wars film since 1983's Return of the Jedi ;)

Damien
17-12-2015, 22:25
Not to spoil it for anyone but:

Darth Vader was Luke Skywalkers dad? What a twist!

Hugh
17-12-2015, 22:47
I thought the clone army of Darth Vader zombies fighting an army of Yoda clones was probably a step too far...

Paul
17-12-2015, 22:59
Awsome, and what a twist, didnt see that coming ..... Shocking !

Damien
18-12-2015, 10:57
Serious spoilers below now, And I mean actual, legit, spoilers. If you press reveal you will have massive plot spoilers revealed:

This isn't a joke. I've now seen the film.

Great movie! Probably the best Star Wars IMO.

Few points:
1) I can't believe they actually did go with a third death star (that's what it was).

2) Hans Solo :( Probably a good move though. Not sure how useful he would be to the plot and sets up the new trilogy well.

3) The two new main cast members are great. Finn is very good and it will be interesting to see what he becomes. Ray as the new Jedi was good too, quite exciting imo.

4) Oscar Issacs is a great pilot, hope they don't kill him off.

5) I was getting nervous they wouldn't show Luke!

Russ
18-12-2015, 15:18
Just saw it. Mind = blown :eek:

Russ
19-12-2015, 05:16
Managed to grab another viewing last night - never going to turn down a freebie ticket especially for Star Wars :D

I was partly on edge during the first showing, desperately hoping they wouldn't screw it up and boy did they not screw it up! They've carried on the story perfectly, it had everything a proper SW film needed. The characters were well developed, the bad guys truly were nasty and it's great to finally have a badass dark Jedi - IMO in a shorter space of time he's nastier than Vader. General Hux is also an awesome baddie, perfectly psychotic and very 'Adolph Hitler'.

Only a few slight criticisms, not going in to details as I don't want to spoil anything but those who have seen it will understand, certain characters develop certain skills a little too quickly and easily in my view. It didn't take anything away from the story though. Plus one of the characters, given their background and history appeared to have unexpected difficultly in combat with a less experienced individual. But again that didn't spoil the scene or overall story.

I'm heavily biased obviously but The Force Awakens has to be one of the greatest films I've seen. It's not for everyone but they've done a great job, can't wait for the next one. Loved Daniel Craig's cameo (he's the one who's a victim of a Jedi mind truck), the humour was just right, and although they obviously needed to have some things aimed at kids for merchandising, thankfully no Jar-Jar Binks-level Annoying characters.

The future's bright, the future's JJ Abrahams :)

Paul
19-12-2015, 21:54
JJ is not directing any of the others, tho he will be an executive producer, whatever that means.

Stephen
19-12-2015, 23:23
All an exec producer does is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_producer
In motion pictures, an executive producer oversees the filmmaking (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmmaking) with regard to film finance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_finance). Executive producers liaise with the line producer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_producer) and report to production companies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_company) and distributors (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_distributor)
So not a lot to do with the actual movie making.

Hom3r
31-12-2015, 17:56
I've just got back in from watching it.

Han is Dead, Leia felt it.

Finn & Ray will marry and have kids (Episodes 10, 11 &12)?

But I think Ray is the Daughter of Luke.

Chris
31-12-2015, 18:06
Saw it on Tuesday. Loved it. It very much benefits from the decision to row back on excessive use of CGI creatures and the focus on a relatively simple core plot, instead of the bloated, overly complex mess Lucas gave us in eps 1-3.

The only downside is that we are asked to accept that a lot of stuff is the way it is "just because", but TBH I thought it was quite refreshing and the pace of the story benefited from there being no great long exposition.

Tezcatlipoca
31-12-2015, 23:21
Well, the Original Trilogy didn't explain a lot (or anything) of what happened before it.

With TFA, all I really would have liked a bit more detail on was:

The Republic and the Resistance. The (rather excellent) Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary explains the galactic backstory, but it would have helped to have a bit more detail in the film, either just a bit more dialogue or an extra line in the opening crawl.

Chris
01-01-2016, 17:07
Re-watch the original. So much has been said and written since, we forget how little of the back-story was even hinted at in the first instalment. I really quite liked it this way. There's plenty of time to fill in the gaps. Gives us all something to look forward to.

Hom3r
02-01-2016, 22:42
Simon Pegg was Unkar Plutt

The Strom trooper forced by Rey to release her was played by none other than Daniel Craig (aka Bond)

http://screencrush.com/daniel-craig-star-wars-cameo-revealed/

http://screencrush.com/the-force-awakens-hidden-cameos-star-wars/

Tezcatlipoca
03-01-2016, 00:12
Re-watch the original. So much has been said and written since, we forget how little of the back-story was even hinted at in the first instalment. I really quite liked it this way. There's plenty of time to fill in the gaps. Gives us all something to look forward to.

Oh, I know.

I watched the Despecialized Editions (https://goo.gl/1WGHBA) of the Original Trilogy in the run up to seeing The Force Awakens :)

I do still think though that:

Empire versus Rebellion in the OT was more straightforward and obvious than First Order versus Resistance-while-the-Republic-is-also-knocking-around-doing-something. The crawl explained that the First Order rose from the ashes of the Empire, which is fair enough and all you need for that. But I would have liked some info on the Resistance/Republic relationship, rather than having to make assumptions or read external sources.

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was 02-01-2016 at 23:26 ----------

Only a few slight criticisms, not going in to details as I don't want to spoil anything but those who have seen it will understand, certain characters develop certain skills a little too quickly and easily in my view. It didn't take anything away from the story though. Plus one of the characters, given their background and history appeared to have unexpected difficultly in combat with a less experienced individual. But again that didn't spoil the scene or overall story.

Remember how little training Luke had in the Original Trilogy?

He grew up as a moisture farmer on a desert backwater, and had never before left his home planet until going off with Obi-Wan and co on the Falcon, and yet he was able to pilot and dogfight with an X-Wing during the Battle of Yavin. And not only that, he also managed to make the kill shot on the Death Star, without a targetting computer, all because Obi-Wan told him to "Use the Force".

Luke's actual Jedi training in A New Hope consisted solely of a quick go at using a lightsaber to deflect blaster bolts from a remote, while the Falcon was travelling to Alderaan. He also witnessed Obi-Wan use the Jedi Mind Trick once and use a lightsaber once, before boarding the Falcon.

Three years later, in The Empire Strikes Back, Luke was able to use the Force to remotely grab his lightsaber while he was hanging upside down in a wampa's ice cave. This was despite him never having been taught that particular Jedi technique, nor even seeing it before, and despite him not actually having any Jedi training since that brief play with a lightsaber on the Falcon.

He then flew to Dagobah, where he had a very brief period of training with Yoda (we know it was brief as it happened at the same time the Falcon was in the asteroid field and then off to Bespin).

During this brief bit of training, Yoda tried to teach Luke Jedi mediation, Force Lifting, and other things, and tried to teach Luke the importance of patience and control and self-belief. Unfortunately, Luke failed his training with Yoda, and then recklessly and emotionally abandoned it to go off to Bespin and try and rescue his friends.

At Bespin, Luke then managed to hold his own in a lightsaber duel against Darth Vader, someone who had had many years of actual training and practice, while Luke himself could not have had actual duelling practice or training before, as you can't do that with a remote and there would have been no one for him to duel with. Of course, Vader was toying with him and just wanted to capture him.

One year after that, in Return of the Jedi, Luke had clearly used the off-screen time gap to try and practice what Yoda had tried to teach him back on Dagobah.

Despite not having any additional formal training from an actual Jedi Master since The Empire Strikes Back (as we know that Luke never returned to Dagobah until ROTJ), Luke had *finally* learned patience and control and focus and self-belief, and as such was now able to fully use the Jedi Mind Trick, Force Pull, etc., and also fully able to *properly* fight with a lightsaber, leading to his second duel with Vader at the end of the film. No longer was he a reckless and impatient whiner.

So, The Force Awakens...

Rey is clearly a natural pilot - just like Luke and Anakin.

Rey is clearly very strong with the Force - just like Luke and Anakin.

But, *unlike* pre-ROTJ Luke, Rey is already clearly shown to be possessed of patience and control and belief in herself, and is already clearly shown to be capable of fighting and of defending herself.

Rey already has those qualities that Luke lacked when Yoda tried to train him - those things the lack of which caused Luke to fail when with Yoda.

So, once "Awakened", why shouldn't Rey develop her Force abilities as quickly as we saw? It's not about formal training in specific Jedi skills - it's about control and patience and believing that you can do it.

The only ability I think is a bit of a stretch is the Jedi Mind Trick on Daniel Craig's Stormtrooper, which was played for laughs. But I think that can be explained by her "Awakening" to the Force and by her exposure to Jedi mind powers from Kylo Ren's Force Interrogation.

The Kylo Ren / Finn / Rey fight:

Rey -

As above.

Finn -

He has been trained since childhood to be a Stormtrooper. His whole purpose in life has been to fight for the First Order. He also presumably would have been trained in using that stun baton thing we saw another Stormtrooper use against him earlier on (in a scene that would have been better with Captain Phasma as the opponent, to give her something to do).

Kylo Ren -

Clearly very strong with the Force, plus he had been trained by Luke *and* by Snoke (but not yet fully trained). Light and Dark.

But, as repeatedly shown in the film, he was very undisciplined, and prone to temper tantrums, and prone to showing off and trying to be flashy.

And, of course, two important things happened to Kylo Ren just before the fight: 1) He had been shot by Chewie's Bowcaster, something that would have instantly killed anyone else and then blasted them off that bridge (the film repeatedly and deliberately showed us just how powerful it was), and 2) He had just killed his own father, thinking that it would end his inner turmoil and end the "call of the Light".

So, when he faced off against Finn, and then Rey, he was *not* at his best!

He also looked like he was toying with Finn (we know he's both a show off and reckless, and could have just Force Choked Finn).

But, despite Kylo Ren's emotional and physical handicaps, and despite him not really full-on trying to kill Finn anyway, Finn only managed to get *one* lucky strike in before Kylo Ren sliced open Finn's back and left him for dead.

And then Rey joined the fight... Strong with the Force and recently "Awakened", already capable of fighting and of defending herself (unlike Luke at the same point in his hero journey), and already patient and in control and possessing belief in herself (unlike Luke at the same point in his hero journey).

And so she held her own, when Kylo Ren wasn't trying to kill her and wanted to turn and train her (like Luke and Vader in ESB), and then got the upper hand when she fully opened up to the Force (and - it seemed - let her anger out too... ).

I have various issues with the film, despite utterly loving it, but I have no problem with Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren's skills in general or with the final fight.

Anyway. Awesome film. I've seen it three times now, and want to go again :)

Hom3r
03-01-2016, 10:46
What are your views on a Rey & Finn "Marriage" thus potential carrying on the saga beyond Episode 9?

Stuart
03-01-2016, 13:30
So not a lot to do with the actual movie making.

I get the impression that the Exec producer can have a lot to do with the movie, if he or she is allowed, but it can also be used to keep someone's name on the credits without giving them any power.

I remember reading once that the reason Gene Rodenberry was an executive producer on the original Star Trek movies is because they couldn't really make the movies without him being apparently involved and he kept submitting scripts that somehow ended up with Kirk on a grassy knowl in Texas in 1963 holding a gun..

Chris
03-01-2016, 14:38
Shatner's autobiography of that period is fascinating, if a bit one-sided. I see Roddenberry and Lucas as being similar in many ways. They were ideas men, most of their ideas were loony tunes, but they had just one really *big* idea, in the right place, at the right time, which, with the right support, paid off. But after that (c.f. Star Wars V and VI; all the Trek movies) it was a matter of keeping them on a tight leash.

Russ
04-01-2016, 07:17
One possible idea that's been mentioned - when Ren says "I will finish what you started" he may have been referring to Anakin rather than Vader, suggesting he's on some sort of path where he feels he needs to 'go Dark' to complete his destiny, maybe to win Snoke's trust in order to defeat him. As the Light Side would never allow the death and evil Ren has caused it would be likely he'd eventually make a noble self-sacrifice at the end.

Mr_love_monkey
05-01-2016, 08:40
I remember reading once that the reason Gene Rodenberry was an executive producer on the original Star Trek movies is because they couldn't really make the movies without him being apparently involved and he kept submitting scripts that somehow ended up with Kirk on a grassy knowl in Texas in 1963 holding a gun..

I'm sure that story wouldn't have been any worse the 'Star Trek - The Motion Picture'.

Hugh
07-01-2016, 10:38
Apologies if this has been posted before, but has anyone typed in

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

to google search yet?

denphone
15-01-2016, 16:38
Could Darth Vader Really Cameo in Star Wars: Rogue One?

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3735927?utm_source=fb-stream-post&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=darth-vader-rumored-to-appear-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story

Stephen
15-01-2016, 19:46
That has been rumoured for a long time now.

Russ
16-01-2016, 04:09
I was of the impression Rogue One would be closer to the current timeline or at least after RotJ. Taking things back to when Vader was alive feels to me a little too much like relying sentimentality of the original films rather than focusing on the storyline (a bit like how Phantom Menace came across to some people).

Ok it felt like they did that a bit in the Force Awakens but if they do it with Rogue One it would feel just a little desperate to me.

Stephen
16-01-2016, 09:05
I was of the impression Rogue One would be closer to the current timeline or at least after RotJ. Taking things back to when Vader was alive feels to me a little too much like relying sentimentality of the original films rather than focusing on the storyline (a bit like how Phantom Menace came across to some people).

Ok it felt like they did that a bit in the Force Awakens but if they do it with Rogue One it would feel just a little desperate to me.

Rogue One is set before A New Hope as it is to do with the stealing of the Death Star plans U am sure.

All the stand alone movies are before ANH. One is about a young Han Solo. Think the third one is about Bobafett.

Kymmy
16-01-2016, 09:16
I do wish that they'd taken the books timeline and not thrown it all out of the window :rolleyes:

Stephen
16-01-2016, 09:23
AS good as some of the books were. There were so many books and different series that they felt it was too complicated to have them all as canon.

I am glad they did in a way. TFA was brilliant.

Tezcatlipoca
16-01-2016, 21:38
There's no way in hell they could have kept the old Expanded Universe.

How could they possibly have done a new sequel trilogy when there had already been a buttload of books set in the days, weeks, months, years, and decades following on from ROTJ - books that the majority of people will have never read or even heard of.

Wiping the slate clean was the only solution.

Hom3r
17-01-2016, 13:40
These are release dates for the next 5 Star Wars films.

16/12/2016 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

26/05/2017 - Star Wars: Episode VIII

25/08/2018 - Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (I guess this is were we see the cack story of how Han rescues Chewbacca, and family?

xx/xx/xxxx - Star Wars: Episode IX (2019 I would guess, say May the usual Stare Wars release date) (Should be May the 4th :D)

xx/xx/2020 - Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett

denphone
21-01-2016, 04:48
‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ Delayed Until End of 2017.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni59405364?ref=tsm_1_fb_s_IMDb_Marketing&linkId=20531292