PDA

View Full Version : Linux-based Satellite Boxes

carlwaring
01-09-2012, 11:16
Does anyone here know anything about these?

Back in my day you had a Sky box or nothing. Now it seems like there's a whole load of Linux-based Satellite boxes available. Is there a 'primer' or 'FAQ' somewhere that I can use to get up-to-speed on what they can do and which is the "best" one?

I am looking for a good DVR that can see more than one satellite and add one or more channels from any it can see.

(Not for me. I'm happy with VM. It's for my parents.)

I know I can go out and buy WotSat but they only feature a few each month and I'm only looking for an over-view at this stage anyway :)

Thanks.

nstokes
01-09-2012, 11:24
I have had one of these. Google Dreambox. If you want a DVR then you might want a Dreambox 800HD

tizmeinnit
01-09-2012, 11:27
a lot of what a Linux bases Sat box can do can not be discussed here

There have always been alternatives to Sky if you invest in a motorised dish you can access loads of satellites

I have only seen a couple and they have been pretty poor. The channel guides have been quite naff and the recording facility poor also although as I say I have only seen a couple

Kymmy
01-09-2012, 11:32
I've had a Mutant (now called a IPbox) for over 5 years (gonna update it soon but will go for a similar just higher spec)

Just about all sat boxes are designed for more than one sat (apart from sky or freesat) and have diseqc control or switching. To get two sats that you'll need a twin monobloc LNB or a bracket for two single lnb or a motorized dish. brackets are available for more LNB's but above two a motor is preferable.

As far as linux sat box it depends on what you want to do with them.. they're more handy for streaming too/from a server, adding features but for standard multisat/dvr a non-linux box is just as good and will provide you with the features you've mentioned.

Chris
01-09-2012, 11:48
Does anyone here know anything about these?

Back in my day you had a Sky box or nothing. Now it seems like there's a whole load of Linux-based Satellite boxes available. Is there a 'primer' or 'FAQ' somewhere that I can use to get up-to-speed on what they can do and which is the "best" one?

I am looking for a good DVR that can see more than one satellite and add one or more channels from any it can see.

(Not for me. I'm happy with VM. It's for my parents.)

I know I can go out and buy WotSat but they only feature a few each month and I'm only looking for an over-view at this stage anyway :)

Thanks.

Do your parents have particularly eclectic continental viewing tastes, or are they electronics or sat hobbyists? The sort of kit you're thinking of procuring for them seems a little OTT for regular British viewing.

Kymmy
01-09-2012, 12:19
From the OP it seems that he's getting confused between FTA and linux based sat receviers.. and it's FTA that he's after which with a multi lnb or motor setup can recieve more than one sat, a linux box is just a type of fta that uses the linux OS as it's firmware so tends to be a bit more configurable if you have the knowledge to do so.

carlwaring
01-09-2012, 13:25
Do your parents have particularly eclectic continental viewing tastes, or are they electronics or sat hobbyists?
Not really. Well, my dad maybe a little :)

From the OP it seems that he's getting confused between FTA and linux based sat receviers.. and it's FTA that he's after which with a multi lnb or motor setup can recieve more than one sat, a linux box is just a type of fta that uses the linux OS as it's firmware so tends to be a bit more configurable if you have the knowledge to do so.
Not really confused, kymmy. I know what "FTA" means and I know what a "linux-based sat receiver" means.

Probably just not always good at explaining things.

They have the Humax (BBC) Freesat box at the moment that can be made to pick up stations from any other satellite it can see and there is one particular channel (Propeller TV) that they would like to be able to receive due to some content that my Mum wants to watch; The Painting & Drawing Channel stuff, 4pm every day.

Unforunately, the way that the Humax works you can have it either/or freesat/non-freesat but not both at the same time; and you can't set fave channels in non-freesat modee either.

So I was just wondering if another box could provide a solution.

Needs to be HD, capable of recording, have an EPG and ability to store fave channels from any satellite it can see. Streaming (other than a network connection for, eg, iPlayer) not required. Easily installable (ie idiot-proof) hacks* might be nice too.

(* I am assuming this is the stuff "we can't talk about on here" someone mentioned? Fair enough. I won't then.)

Chris
01-09-2012, 14:46
Fair enough, although the cost and hassle of setting up multiple LNBs or a motorised dish, and buying an additional STB when they already have a Freesat one, still seems a bit OTT to me for the sake of one channel. Especially when there's every chance Propeller will be added to the Freesat EPG eventually, if it's already a fully FTA channel.

Kymmy
01-09-2012, 16:26
No linux box has a freesat mode so if installed you will have a myrad of channels where only a few are needed.. You can though import the channel listing into a PC via ethernet and remove/favortize them. Also the EPG will be 7 days with a decent firmware image but if you want red button at all then forget the idea.

As for idiot proof then again forget about a linux box as none of the 3rd party firmwares (which you would need for EPG and streaming to/from ethernet) are exactly simple with often different buttons on the remote doing multiple functions some which will mess with the box settings..

carlwaring
01-09-2012, 17:11
Fair enough. Thanks all for your comments. Another idea to get out of my father's head then :D