PDA

View Full Version : broadband cable issue

bluegav
29-08-2012, 16:39
Right this may sound a little picky but virgin came out to install broadband at my new house last week and I wasnt too impressed with their installation.

Bascially they have used an exisiting virgin box that the previos owners have had connected but instead of running one new cable from it to the desired location they have just cut what was there and connected them up using insulation tape, I have queried this asking if it is correct and the engineer said its common practice, surely a break in the cable taped up is not best practice.

Anyone tell me if this is correct ? it runs from the front of the house to the back where the old virgin tv was its cut there and a cable run from there to the bedroom with the router in !

Cheers

nodrogd
29-08-2012, 17:15
Using the old omni-box is common practice. Is the new connection also at the back of the house? If it is then this has been done because installers are not allowed up on roofs for safety reasons, nor do they have ladders to go up more than one floor. So there is no option but to chop the existing feed. What they should then do is put the joint under another omni-box cover on the back wall.

bluegav
29-08-2012, 17:21
the omni box at the front has about 6 cables coming from it ( i think the previous owner had done some DIY )most if not all are redundant bar the one he has used to follow round to the back of the hosue and tape to the freshly cut cable hanging down from the actic room.

There is no box round the taped cable it is literally just 2 ends taped together hanging free. I understand about going up one floor etc but all they had to do was drop the cable out of the window and connect it up correctly and tidy up the cabling. Now I am worried that I am will get signal issues and drops outs wheber ever the weather is bad.

Jonnymeg
30-08-2012, 19:59
No that is not normal and not really acceptable.
Sent you a PM