PDA

View Full Version : have virgin broadband, but connection at the mains (connector) seems loose

wakkaday
27-07-2012, 20:34
hi guys
i recently had a superhub installed...i had to play around with some of the settings e.g wireless channels so i could stream properly

however i think the connection at the mains is causing an issue, but often the superhub just cuts off and loses connection and comes back on again

ive checked all the immediate cables and they seem fine, however the one at the wall seems a bit loose. im not sure if there is a problem with that, which is causing my net to lose connection

will vm come and have a look if i ring them?

and is there a number i can contact (i dont have phone line) a number alternative to the 0845... that i can ring from mobile?

thanks

DJSADERS
27-07-2012, 20:56
they should send someone out to look, i have the sales number (as printed on my van) they might help/transfer you

0800 052 1111

RobboEdin
28-07-2012, 06:12
Are you standalone broadband with Virgin Media or do you have TV as well?

Locky33
28-07-2012, 09:04
They probably used your old wire for old modem, they done the same to me. Superhub wont get enough power it requires 0.5a

Graham M
28-07-2012, 10:33
Engineer told me that it can cause the SHub to send rubbish/noise back down the line as well and affect other customers

nodrogd
28-07-2012, 12:00
The power supply for the S/Hub should be 12V 1.5A. If the output from the PSU you have connected says anything else you could have problems, not to mention the PSU overheating.

If this is the case, call Virgin or post on the Community forum (http://community.virginmedia.com/) and they will send out a replacement S/Hub and PSU.

Just had to do this myself.

Mick Fisher
28-07-2012, 12:14
See if it does the same in modem mode.

It could just be normal superhub misbehaviour if on wifi or it could be your BB dropping out. If the power to your sh is interrupted it will reboot itself.

The trouble is sh's have an innate tendency to reboot themselves so sticking it into modem mode might help to narrow the possible options down a bit.

Using modem mode with a proper router is the only way to really sort out all your sh problems. :tu:

Hugh
28-07-2012, 13:10
Some have that tendency....

RB2004
28-07-2012, 15:28
when are Virgin Media going to do something about this?

seems to be over half their engineers are going around re-using the old power supply.

loads of people post on the community forums about having the incorrect power supply, I myself had an incorrect power supply, and 3 other people I know locally who had their modems swapped out for superhubs have had incorrect power supplies.. which if I hadnt of checked and pointed out would not of been rectified.

Vast Majority of people probably arent even aware of this problem and dont know what they are looking for and probably go unfixed.

But if its true it can cause problems for other customers and introduce noise on the line... certainly its no good for the working of the superhub and could be the reason for the vast majority of complaints also.. then this should be sorted out, but over 12 months later engineers are still going around doing it.

RobboEdin
28-07-2012, 20:16