PDA

View Full Version : No TV signal at new house

Donna Black
02-07-2012, 11:39
Hi all, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but hopefully someone can help. :)

Basically we moved into a new house, plugged the Sony Bravia in, plugged the aerial in and nothing. All we get is "no signal." The other neighbours have no problem, so I'm wondering if the previous resident did something to the rooftop aerial. She had Virgin for TV, net and phone. Do Virgin disconnect your aerial or something like that when you move out? Does moving your Virgin package prevent the new residents getting TV at all?

We've now got Sky, but if I want to cancel the Sky contract in the future I'll have no TV whatsover. Thought I'd check if anyone knows whether it's a Virgin problem before sending my better half up a ladder in the rain.

v0id
02-07-2012, 15:35
Hi, welcome to Cableforum

If you cancel your Sky contract, you will still have access to all the channels on freesatfromsky as with Sky the box and the dish are yours to keep

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

As for the aerial, if it is indeed connected it may be too old and need replacing because of the digital switchover

roger skillin
02-07-2012, 16:11
If you have a roof aerial this will be fine for digital signals, shops will try and sell you a new one saying it's digital ready but it's no different.
I would say that there is a wire problem, you mad find if it is an old aerial that the wire connection on the aerial itself has corroded and the whole thing may need replacing anyway, only one way to find out and that's to have a look.

nodrogd
02-07-2012, 17:11
Many people that use Virgin's PVR boxes (V+ or TiVO) would have little need for a rooftop aerial. So, as roger suggests, it may be corroded connections that are the problem. If you have a Sky dish & receiver you can still receive the free channels, and if there are spare outputs from the dish LNB you can get Freesat boxes, or even Freesat TV's for other rooms.

Donna Black
03-07-2012, 11:24
Many thanks for the helpful advice. I'm more than ever tempted to cancel Sky as we had one of their engineers round yesterday to add multiroom. He had to add an extra phone-line and, wouldn't you know it, now our BR broadband has dropped to almost dial-up speeds. At least now we have a new contract with them I've got 8 days to cancel. Thanks again.

Matth
05-07-2012, 23:45
Sounds like no ADSL filter was put on the extension or second box - that would cripple ADSL.

Donna Black
06-07-2012, 12:01
I meant to say BT broadband. Ended up on the phone to BT for an hour trying to solve the problem remotely. Then the Sky engineer turned up again the next day. He said he didn't think it was anything he'd done wrong but would check. After unplugging all three Sky boxes he reset the router (which we'd done ourselves anyhow), plugged everything back in and the broadband speeds resumed to normal.

So I can only think two things. Either there was a problem on the line and BT fixed it remotely at exactly the same time the Sky engineer was here, or as you say Matth, he suddenly remembered to put an ADSL filter on - something like that. Bit of a coincidence the broadband was knackered after he left and fixed when he came back. Oh well, all sorted now anyway. We'll look at the aerial if it ever stops raining!