PDA

View Full Version : TIVO Box Sharing between the TV's

Davesdealing
30-06-2012, 15:01
I imagine this thread has been exhausted many times, but for the uninitiated can someone tell me please the following:

1. Can I feed both my TV's downstairs with a signal from my new Tivo box (when it arrives Tuesday).

I am using the Samsung D8000 Smart TV in the lounge, and had installed a coax cable to the old system that just fed the TV through a splitter to the conservatory. Since the VBox took over we haven't had TV in the conservatory working as we had to use HDMi and the cable never worked in our set up.

Now the wife wants TV in the conservatory, we don't mind having the same channel on in both rooms, as we would be likely to be using one or the other. So if its a straight splitter coming out from a cable then that's fine, if we could get better useage then bonus! i.e. Maybe watch a recorded programme in one room and live tv in the other.

Currently we have the PS3 in the conservatory on HDMi on another Samsung

I'm sure they will use the HDMi from Tivo to our D8000, should I split that as it comes out of the Tivo and run a HDMi lead but thats 10m away? Or can I use the coax lead with some sort of ends? Scart etc. Can we use scart and HDMi together?

The coax lead is already in place between tv's... Any help is grateful. Thanks :confused:

jempalmer
30-06-2012, 15:09
Ideally you should use HDMI for the best PQ. I use one of these and it works perfectly:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341065245&sr=1-5
Hope this helps :)

Davesdealing
30-06-2012, 15:15
Great, happy with that, I'll order one once the equipment arrives and gets put in. I can rip out the coax cable and rerun HDMI. Is 10m ok to run would I lose signal, I looked at a 6m Monster cable and they were £139.00 from Comet, bit pricey I thought but would need more. Was thinking of a scart socket fix as a cheap option bearing in mind cables already in place. With the HDMI way, does that mean we can watch one programme live and a recorded one on the other tv?

Do we want too much lol

jempalmer
30-06-2012, 15:22
The splitter is powered so you shouldn't have any issues with signal. Don't be fooled into paying ridiculous sums of money for an HDMI cable. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-cable-lead-Plasma-meter/dp/B001GRX5LW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341066033&sr=1-1
will be fine. If you want a slightly more "exotic" cable then:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PRO-GOLD-Technology-HD-10M/dp/B0036BHCSS/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341066033&sr=1-6

You will have the same signal to both TV's unless one or the other has a freeview tuner :)

Don't be greedy! Lol :D

Davesdealing
30-06-2012, 16:11
Both have freeview and the D8000 has both freeview and freesat. Just been looking at those cables, seems fine, not paying Comets prices now!

Seems the AWG has a bearing 24/28 seems to be the ones we need, and length about 10m, but need to check the bends and corners to hide it too.

Well looking good to go for about £50 I will be set to go.

jempalmer
30-06-2012, 17:04
Glad I could help Dave :)