PDA

View Full Version : Cable fron pavement to house

gothicdraconian
20-06-2012, 14:43
Hi

I've had VM broadband installed at my new address for just over a month and it works fine.

However, i need to do a spot of gardening/ tidying and have now noticed that the VM cable lay is relatively poor. My main concern is the cable that comes out of the green pipe on the public pavement outside of my front garden. I would like to know if this is normal as i can't see any other houses with cables exposed at pavement level like this in my area. The only sign that other houses have cable is the brown box mounted on their outside walls.

I am concerned that once i cut the overhanging bush back (currently, it is overhanging the pavement by approximately 12 inches), the loose black cable coming out of the round green conduit will be exposed on the pavement.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/663/1003061l.jpg

When lifting this bush ready for pruning, you can see the dual cable exiting the green pipe. There is a run of approximately 8 inches across the pavement, on to the neighbours garden and then into mine, over the 1' high mini border log fence. The small log fence on the left is my garden, the rock on the right is in the neighbours garden.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3798/1003060i.jpg

Below are a couple more photos showing that the cable was not buried or protected and that the hole drilled through the external wall is exposed and unsealed.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1546/1003049y.jpg
&
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8113/1003045k.jpg

tia

jambul
09-07-2012, 20:41
I had a similar issue and complained. They are coming to re run the cable on the 13th July. Not only that, when my neighbour had it fitted, they accidentally cut my cable and connected my box to the neighbours!

Pierre
10-07-2012, 15:01
Not really a major problem......is it?

The termination box is missing off the tee, then again as the tee is an unmade verge at the rear of the footway, they may not have put a termination box on it.

Trim your hedge and put a shovel full of soil over the cable.

The hole in the wall from the box is a different matter though. Although it is not your fault, instead of messing about getting them back out why not just put some silicon around the box?

jambul
13-07-2012, 19:13
Update: Tech parked in front of house for 5 mins then drove off without knocking on the door. Apparently construction work is needed, it would have been nice to have been told that. I am not impressed with these guys.

jambul
01-08-2012, 20:15
Still waiting for the work to be done despite the Head Office now being involved! I don't know who to complain to now.

jb66
01-08-2012, 21:51
If ther is a giant bush there then virgin can't dig it down with a spade

stann0
19-08-2012, 00:13
Still waiting for the work to be done despite the Head Office now being involved! I don't know who to complain to now.

My solution was to ring VM installations an suggest in fairly strong terms that they sort out the mess and continue calling until I got a result.

They had laid the cable in the laziest, most inept way that was unsightly and potentially dangerous. After 3 visits and a lot of buck-passing an area manager came and stood over supervising while the guys did what they should have done first time round.

A total waste of everyone's time. Where do they get these people and why don't they give them basic training?

neilo
19-08-2012, 18:55
Where I used to live, it was pretty much the same story. The house wasn't cabled and they dug a two inch deep trench in the pavement to bring the cable to the house from off the street but didn't have enough Tarmac on board to cover it over. They said they'd be back to do it but one month later they still hadn't. I phoned to complain and about two weeks later they sorted it. The box on the wall had no silicone on it and they tacked the cable across the front of the house at an angle. It was shocking! I sorted the cabling and the tacking out myself.

You're not alone.

Oh and did I mention that it took me six months to persuade them that there was actually a cable outside the house?!

You know, when I mull it over, I do wonder why I'm still a customer.