PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Install cost?

deathtrap3000
31-05-2012, 18:12
I am trying to find information on how much it costs Virgin Media to do a brand new install and get a person connected to their network. What is the average cost to virgin to run new cables and fit new ducts across gardens etc.

It would be interesting to know this when it comes to comparing install costs against BT's new FTTP on demand service.

jb66
31-05-2012, 18:13
Free if your in a virgin area

deathtrap3000
31-05-2012, 18:20
I mean the cost to Virgin, not the consumer.

m8internet
31-05-2012, 18:56
how much it costs Virgin Media to do a brand new install and get a person connected to their network. What is the average cost to virgin to run new cables and fit new ducts across gardens etc
I wasn't aware the did this any more
The cable runs directly outside a relatives house, but they refuse to connect the cable to their property (even though others in the street are connected)

spiderplant
31-05-2012, 19:00
Most of the cost was spent (written off) many years ago building the national networks, so you can't really compare like-with-like. What do you actually want to know? (And why?)

deathtrap3000
31-05-2012, 19:18
Im not entirely sure how they connect new customers to begin with. If I was in an area covered by virgin, but didnt have a connection to my home, how do they connect you? Do they run a new cable from the nearest cab through ducting thats already there and then run a cable to your home? or is it more likely they would tee into a cable thats already running past my home?
Im trying to get an idea of the cost to virgin to send an engineer out to do the work ie man hours and material cost on average.

m8internet
31-05-2012, 19:42
I've seen them use a few different methods, depending on building / property type

In flats / tenements, they run the cable along one edge / side of the building (if multiple properties) or near to the other main services (common property)
If any owner then subscribe they simply tap from this installation point directly outside the property

In terraced houses (without gardens) it simply runs directly outside the house and in some cases is affixed to the property

In properties with gardens (and recent new builds) an access box is located near to the property
If the owner then wants a new installation (it was not installed at the same time as the cable in the street), then the customer pays for the groundwork
I know a relative that was in this position recently and was quoted £850 for the groundworks (new cable about 120 metres in length)

jungleguy
31-05-2012, 21:35
how long is a piece of string?

qasdfdsaq
31-05-2012, 23:11
It would be interesting to know this when it comes to comparing install costs against BT's new FTTP on demand service.
If you're in a Virgin Media covered area, then there will be a cable running along the pavement directly outside your property, that's what VM will normally connect to.

BT FTTPoD will need to run new cable all the way to the nearest cabinet. VM only have to run it across your garden. Given the way some "engineers" purportedly do it (throw it on the ground under a bush) it could be less than a tenner.