PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub just stopped working on wifi?

techguyone
28-04-2012, 12:35
Anyone else had this? My wi-fi is 'on' according to all my settings but I can't connect any device to it since this morning.

2 different Androids, one windows mobile phone and one desktop pc, so it's not the devices problem, but the routers, any ideas or suggestions?

Has there been a new firmware update been pushed though?

I did have a period of time yesterday when the internet (completely) went down, I assumed it was VM doing some maintenance or something.

SH Event log is saying this:

Time Priority Description
Sat Apr 28 09:45:11 2012 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Apr 28 09:44:54 2012 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

SnoopZ
28-04-2012, 13:20
It has happened a few times for me and rebooting the modem and computer always fixes it.

p.s you need to edit your MAC address out from your post i think.

Kymmy
28-04-2012, 13:24
Removed MACs from OP

One Pound
28-04-2012, 14:57
I have those errors in my log, although I have wireless, just no internet connecivity. Rebooting doesnt help, support say theres a 2 day outage.

techguyone
28-04-2012, 15:18
What's baffling me is that Internet is fine, just wireless isn't working, although router is indicating its on and ok

SnoopZ
28-04-2012, 15:53
What's baffling me is that Internet is fine, just wireless isn't working, although router is indicating its on and ok

As to post #2 have you tried rebooting the modem and pc as this always fixes it for me?

techguyone
28-04-2012, 15:59
I have separately, I'll power both down and leave off for a few and see

SnoopZ
28-04-2012, 16:05
Try selecting 2.4Ghz in the wireless settings to see if that was the problem, i remember mine changed to 5Ghz once i also couldn't connect.

techguyone
28-04-2012, 16:19
prolonged powerdown didn't work. It's still set to 2.4Ghz, odd thing is,to all intents and purposes the SH 'thinks' all is well according to the settings.

My Android phone reports.

virginmediaxxxxxxxx
Authenticating...

virginmediaxxxxxxxx
Connecting...

virginmediaxxxxxxxx
Obtaining IP address.

virginmediaxxxxxxxx
Connected.

virginmediaxxxxxxxx
remembered WPS available, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK

Then it disconnects and does it over and over, like it can't get in. I've reset the password etc, made the phone forget the network and rediscover it again (which it does) but it won't connect.

Wi-Fi LED on the SH stays on, no flashing (can't remember if that's normal or not)

SnoopZ
28-04-2012, 16:58
I have no idea then, maybe someone else will know the problem.

Mick Fisher
28-04-2012, 17:17
If on 2.4ghz make sure to use 145mbps then start manually changing channels till you find one that works. InSSider can help here as it can indicate how busy channels are.

Auto doesn't work. :(

For a long term solution switch the superhub to modem mode and connect a decent N router. The router section of the superhub is a really dreadful combination of bargain bucket hardware and firmware that just doesn't work.

qasdfdsaq
28-04-2012, 17:21
Ethernet works then?

techguyone
28-04-2012, 17:47
Yes Ethernet is fine, it's just the wi-fi bit that's gone West for some reason. (Although yesterday I had no internet at all for a while, presumably VM doing something)

jempalmer
28-04-2012, 17:48
I have a similar problem that has become apparent after "upgrading" from 30 to 60mb. Wireless performance (although never good) has worsened. Whereas before the range was acceptable now it is useless. Also wireless devices are prone to disconnecting at will. Contacted VM to book a tech. Was agreed for Monday 30th. Checked online last night to find that there's no tech scheduled. Thought I'd call this morning to query but before I could the landline rang (automated message) to be told that the visit was arranged after all!

techguyone
28-04-2012, 17:55
Haven't checked the upgrade thing yet,HOWEVER I turned off 'auto' changed it to a manual channel and ITS WORKING! yayy

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it lasts though.

(oddly enough I had set it to a manual channel some time previously, I suppose a firmware update had put it back to Auto?) it's not the sort of thing you look out for until there's a problem.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/8.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I think my area isn't due for the update until June.

jempalmer
28-04-2012, 18:01
Mine was not a scheduled upgrade. It was a retentions deal when getting Tivo. Have had SH channel set manually for a while. Also have tried every channel in turn, rebooting each time. It's only since the speed doubling that the wireless has become so bad.

techguyone
28-04-2012, 18:17
I'm fortunate in that my Android has a Wi-Fi app that lets me look at all the local networks in use by everyone around me and I can pick a channel that's not in use (or not as much in use)

GrizzlyRizzo
28-04-2012, 18:23
Go into channle settings, change it to one that not in mass use in your area (use inssider to check this), go into advanced settings and then services and uncheck all boxes in the top section.

Restarting the pc simply gets you a new ip address, this can be done without rebooting, as follows.

select RUN in your start menu, (if using win7 or vista, click on start menu and type run then select RUN when it comes up)

type CMD into the little box that comes up and hit enter or click ok

a window will open (black background)

type (ipconfig /release) without brackets, and a space after the g, hit enter/return

type (ipconfig /renew) without brackets, hit enter/return

and a new ip address will be requested from the hub.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Also if you have bad wifi coverage in your home, you can try one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA830RE-300Mbps-Wireless-Range-Extender/dp/B006BBYXPA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335633553&sr=1-2

Also Virgin Media does not offically support wifi, as each home is different, with thickness of walls, distance required, backgroud radio frequency polution etc.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Also, for some reason mac devices like ipads/iphone etc like channel 13

Mick Fisher
28-04-2012, 20:04
Go into channle settings, change it to one that not in mass use in your area (use inssider to check this), go into advanced settings and then services and uncheck all boxes in the top section.

Restarting the pc simply gets you a new ip address, this can be done without rebooting, as follows.

select RUN in your start menu, (if using win7 or vista, click on start menu and type run then select RUN when it comes up)

type CMD into the little box that comes up and hit enter or click ok

a window will open (black background)

type (ipconfig /release) without brackets, and a space after the g, hit enter/return

type (ipconfig /renew) without brackets, hit enter/return

and a new ip address will be requested from the hub.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Also if you have bad wifi coverage in your home, you can try one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA830RE-300Mbps-Wireless-Range-Extender/dp/B006BBYXPA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335633553&sr=1-2

Also Virgin Media does not offically support wifi, as each home is different, with thickness of walls, distance required, backgroud radio frequency polution etc.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Also, for some reason mac devices like ipads/iphone etc like channel 13
For not very much more you could buy a decent router and sort your superhub issues permanently. Check out TP link. Most people living in normal houses using decent routers don't need extenders.

GrizzlyRizzo
28-04-2012, 20:23
For not very much more you could buy a decent router and sort your superhub issues permanently. Check out TP link. Most people living in normal houses using decent routers don't need extenders.

Most importantly, also check that your device's wifi card is N not G or B, else whats the point, tis so funny when you go to someones house, they are really angry, they have paid for 100meg BBI and they arn't getting anywhere near the full speed, then you find they only have a B (11mbps) standard wifi card. lol

GavChap
28-04-2012, 20:47
Most importantly, also check that your device's wifi card is N not G or B, else whats the point, tis so funny when you go to someones house, they are really angry, they have paid for 100meg BBI and they arn't getting anywhere near the full speed, then you find they only have a B (11mbps) standard wifi card. lol

You even have to be careful what N card is in their computer, some only support 65Mbit unless you're using wide channels as they only have 1 antenna.

GrizzlyRizzo
28-04-2012, 20:53
You even have to be careful what N card is in their computer, some only support 65Mbit unless you're using wide channels as they only have 1 antenna.

Yep, and this is why Virgin Media don't support wifi. :rolleyes: